facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 2, 2005, 01:57 AM
Cricket Legend

ps cisco-guy, anti-ershad movement was in 90-91

Old February 2, 2005, 02:23 AM
Test Cricketer

I thought strike is used in organized labor against the management to achieve the bargain. Even then participant need to agree on strike. I have traveled quit a few democratic country in the world. I have studied American political science which is a milestone for democracy. I have never seen Americans implemented a strike in their 200+ years history of democracy against their Government. Not to say that they don't protest their government. Americans never use a strike to protest against government. Elections are their to change government. How about Britain? I have never seen British strike against their Government and shut down all the roads. Kill people who is going to work. I do not see in any democracy beside Bangladesh use Hartal. It is not a democratic tool by any means.

If there is a dictator then you can do Hartal against him as he will never face an election. As a result there is no chance to enforce people's choice of government except hortal and strike. Mahatma Gandhi did strike against British occupiers which was an economic strike. Economic strike means not to do business with British company. There was no burning and killing their.

Bangladesh has elections. Elections produce a government and in those election change of power occurs. That means our election process works. An election create a government by majorities choice. Opposition can take their complain to the people when the next election comes. People will decide whether opposition will be a better choice or not. In this democratic environment Hartal is totally unnecessary. Opposition party should be sued for the damages and financial loses occurred due to Hartal. Party officials who engage in such destructive anti-democratic activity should be send to jail and fined a huge amount.
Old February 2, 2005, 09:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Well said shujan!

With regards to 'whining': Surely the people who are directly affected by stupidity should have the right to complain! But yes, generally I agree, individuals sitting in air conditioned offices of multi-national companies in Montreal Canada, thousands of kms away from reality, ought not to whine as they are seldom the ones who are afflicted.

Shubho: I have no idea what this yahoogroups bangladesh cricket thing you keep harping about. Whatever it is, I have nothing to do with it.

And while I'm at it, Zephaniah and Shubho: spare me the gender bollocks.
Old February 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Some of the things your colleagues can do during their stay in Dhaka:

1. Try the authentic chinese and indian cusine in Gulshan. Banani.(there are bunch of them of them in Kemal Ataturk avenue). White Castle, Bukhara, Sky room, Olive Garden, Ninfas,Saffron are some of my favourites.

2. Aarong in Gulshan, Dhandmondi to get some Bangladeshi handicraft or gifts.(there are number of other stores like that for foreigners in various parts of Gulshan, Banani)

3. Bashundhara city for shopping and entertainment .(They have worldclass theatre over there along with an indoor theme park.)

5. Novo theatre in Bijoy Shoroni Road opened recently and is the most hi tech in the subcontinent.

6. Fantasy Kingdom, Nandan Park and Heritage Park after Ashulia are worth trying if there is some time in hand.

7. Dhaka Museum to get a sense of Bangladeshi culture and history.

8. Visit old Dhaka to see Ahsan Manzil and other old architectures.

9. Can go to Akushey Boimela and also visit the Dhaka university campus at the same time.

These are the things I can think off at the moment, there are other much fun stuff to do in Dhaka for sure.....

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
A few of my work colleagues have gone to Dhaka to give presentations/tutorials at some tech conferences. Now the problem is, thanks to a bunch of idiots in our so called 'beloved shonar' country, the first conference has been cancelled on very short notice due to the hartals, and so now my colleagues (and various other conference delegats/speakers) are stuck in Dhaka with NOTHING to do for a week as the next conference starts on the 6th of Feb.

What the hell can they do? I kinda feel responsible to at least make some suggestions. Only thing I could think of was that new shopping centre.. < and we wonder why ppl don't wanna come to our shitty little country. >

Anyhow Hasina can go and stuff the hartals up her a$$... she just cost my company thousands of dollars.
Edited on, February 3, 2005, 3:33 AM GMT, by nayeem007.
Old February 3, 2005, 05:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by shujan
Hartal is a an effective way for opposition to give people some national holidays. This hortal will stop the corruption of the Government and clean out the shontrashi and reinstitute the democratic values in the heart of Bangladeshi people. Hortal will bless the soul of Late Mr. Kibria as so many people are sitting at home instead of work which will give them more time to pray for him. The other 3 person died which we do not even know the name of will also be benefited from these hortal. They will also be benefited from the people's prayer . Nobody will be allowed to work for infinite amount of time so that we can sit and think about what is wrong with our political process. Distinguished chintabid are popping their veins by the mean to find an solution really soon within this holidays of hortal. Hortal is the WMD to destroy all the wrong in Bangladesh and establish righteousness in the golden land for ever.HORTAL ZINDABAD.

Edited on, February 1, 2005, 10:31 PM GMT, by shujan.
Well said... i love this piece
Old February 3, 2005, 08:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shubho
Also, Fab, if you get on a rickshaw, no roving "Penguin" will attack you.
Are bhai apne kon deshe e baash koren........ travelling by Rickshaw is the most risky during hartal.
Old February 3, 2005, 12:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Well said shujan!

With regards to 'whining': Surely the people who are directly affected by stupidity should have the right to complain! But yes, generally I agree, individuals sitting in air conditioned offices of multi-national companies in Montreal Canada, thousands of kms away from reality, ought not to whine as they are seldom the ones who are afflicted.

Shubho: I have no idea what this yahoogroups bangladesh cricket thing you keep harping about. Whatever it is, I have nothing to do with it.

And while I'm at it, Zephaniah and Shubho: spare me the gender bollocks.
Come on, girl, maybe my phraseology offended you, but I assure you I meant only for you to think about solutions, rather than resort to what we Bangladeshis typically do - whine and complain. Am I wrong in suggesting that we shouldn't whine, but do something instead? I don't understand why you brought in that whole garbage about me sitting in a multinational company in Montreal. And why are you offended about the gender "bollocks". Most girls (especially those of expatriates) are not allowed out on their own in Dhaka, because their parents are super-protective of them. Consequently, they have skewed ideas about what there actually is out there! My female cousins have the same problem. Why do you get offended so easily? Jeez. Chill, woman!

As for nasifkhan's outburst, I don't know about you, but in Dhaka I had my best outings during the hartal periods (during Ershad's, Khaleda's and Hasina's time). No cars on the roads. Just rickshaws...loved it. I could actually breathe the air for a while.
Old February 3, 2005, 04:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Old February 3, 2005, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

brilliant! the call for another round of hartals from saturday is baffling. this will force people to focus on the hartal rather than on the issue: what are they going to do to catch the killers? seems like all AL can do is use this one by-now useless tool, and have made no progress on any other ways to engage public opinion or control the dialogue. the GOB, for its parts, blames the AL for the SAARC fiasco and are sending their goons to the streets, as if the heavy handed police were not enough.
Old February 3, 2005, 06:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Man, can we just vote these two parties out of power for the rest of eternity? Puh-leeze!
Old February 3, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cricket Legend

বিদেশে বসে আমাদের এতো লাফালাফি করে কোন লাভ আছে?
Old February 3, 2005, 09:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shubho
As for nasifkhan's outburst, I don't know about you, but in Dhaka I had my best outings during the hartal periods (during Ershad's, Khaleda's and Hasina's time). No cars on the roads. Just rickshaws...loved it. I could actually breathe the air for a while.
You never been to Dhaka during Eid-ul-Fitr? The atmosphere is much happier
Old February 3, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Too many people on the road during Eid...can't stand it.
Old February 4, 2005, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Old February 4, 2005, 06:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Genius. She is batting against the people of Bangladesh. She is on double century now. Poor Bangladeshi bowler has no chances.
Old February 4, 2005, 06:52 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

In fact u can't blame her.She knows that she is not gonna win from this match. So she has decided not to declare and bat full 5 days.

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 12:12 PM GMT, by rezwan1977.
Old February 4, 2005, 07:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Hortal gonna bring her victory may be. She might climb the Prime ministry again. It is the ordinary Bangladeshi people who are the loosers.

It is nothing new. First 2 year in oposition is ODI hortal and rest of the years before election is test hortal. This is the formula. This formula worked before.