facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old September 11, 2011, 07:28 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ Summary -
LBW103: Shakib did not take adequate responsibility for his team. Good captain does not equal good leader. Mushy may be good leader.No man is bigger than their team. No BCB + selector Conspiracy against Shakib.
Maddog, zman, Tigers_eye, et al: At the end of the day, we need a performing captain. None of the rest are any better and can't even lead by example. Sometimes arrogance and ruthlessness can be a good thing. There is a BCB + selector Conspiracy against Shakib.

This discussion is becoming repetitive and circular. I don't think either side will be persuaded the other is right. Anyway, if Mushy is appointed, let's hope that a year into his tenure he doesn't echo Darren Sammy (when asked about his legacy as a captain and player): "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles." (http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...te/522896.html) In Mushy's case, it could be Mushfiqur Rahim, the one who is exceptionally short.

Old September 11, 2011, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^^ Summary -
LBW103: Shakib did not take adequate responsibility for his team. Good captain does not equal good leader. Mushy may be good leader.No man is bigger than their team. No BCB + selector Conspiracy against Shakib.
Maddog, zman, Tigers_eye, et al: At the end of the day, we need a performing captain. None of the rest are any better and can't even lead by example. Sometimes arrogance and ruthlessness can be a good thing. There is a BCB + selector Conspiracy against Shakib.

This discussion is becoming repetitive and circular. I don't think either side will be persuaded the other is right. Anyway, if Mushy is appointed, let's hope that a year into his tenure he doesn't echo Darren Sammy (when asked about his legacy as a captain and player): "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles." (http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...te/522896.html) In Mushy's case, it could be Mushfiqur Rahim, the one who is exceptionally short.
thanks for saving me the trouble of putting my thoughts in writing
Old September 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^^ Summary -

Navo.. let me directly quote from a book written about captaincy. I will step out of this and you guys can make your own minds up:

"Ultimately, team performance is the measure of a good cricket captain. However, a good cricket captain is not merely a captain of a good team. Captains must have inherent characteristics and qualities that allow them to get the most out of their teams.

Although the Australians from 2003-2009 were a dominant team, Ricky Ponting is not considered a good captain in some quarters. Cricket pundits regard Stephen Fleming as a good captain, despite the ordinary New Zealand team that he led. Good cricket captains require more than 'good' results; they must have some or all of five basic attributes.

i) Astute tactician

Cricket is a thinking game and the cricket captain must guide his team on the field. Field placing and strategies to get batsmen out or win/save a game are the purview of the captain. Good captains have a grasp on tactics and apply them in the right situation. They know when to take a gamble and when defence is the best form of attack. A good captain is usually positive and pragmatic with his tactics.

ii) Motivator and Influencer

A good cricket captain can motivate players on and off the cricket field. Not all captains are admired but a good one should be respected. Players should be able to get a lift from their captain- a lift that enables them to elevate their on-field performance. By dint of this, good captains should be self-motivators as well.

iii) Vision

Ideally, a captain should have a vision about what he wants the cricket team to become. Is the emphasis on rebuilding a team or solidifying a strong team? A good captain goes beyond a day-to-day role by adopting the role of leader and visionary. The captain- in conjunction with team management- should have a clear view of the overall direction of the cricket team.

iv) Resilience

When the chips are down, a good captain needs to believe. Otherwise, he would be hard-pressed to get his teammates believing that they could overcome on-field adversity. Chris Gayle of the West Indies was a perfect example of a lack of resilience. When the chips are down, Gayle waits for something to happen and may appear to be resigned to fate. Steve Waugh, on the other hand, had a steely reserve that reflected in his batting. Australia was able to convert weak positions into strong ones because Waugh believed.

iv) Communication and conflict resolution skills

A good captain must be able to dialogue with players both on and off the field. In any teams, problems may arise from time to time. Even if the captain is the cause of the problem, he or she should be able assist with resolving any dispute or grievance amicably.

In addition to those basic attributes, a good cricket captain should also be:

a) A sporting statesman

b) Skilled in interacting with the media

c) A student of the game with a grasp of cricket history

d) An enforcer of the spirit of cricket

It may seem useless to have all these fine attributes if your team never wins. What these attributes do is help a captain to get the most out of his team. A captain- like a good manager- has to work through others. Whether he is a batsman, bowler or all-rounder, a captain cannot dismiss all the batsmen or score all the runs. Being a good cricket captain just elevates team performance."
Old September 11, 2011, 10:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

lol looks like Mr LBW running for our next BCB president
Old September 12, 2011, 12:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shak,Tamim,SRT,Gayle

I don't mind if Mushfiq becomes the captain of the Bangladesh cricket team. He is motivating and full of life on the field. And Ian Pont said he has got the most professional attitude within the team (what Ian described as Englishmen-like professionalism).
Having said that, i have got serious issues with the way Shakib and Tamim had been removed and got their characters assasinated over time. kaler Kontho, a handful of jealous ex-players and some corrupt BCB directors drummed up the attitude issue and bad behaviour propaganda without any specific evidence and some hypocritical fans added fuel to it. It's matter of great regret and shame that a grave injustice has been done to Shakib who is without any doubt the best cricketer in our history so far.
Amader problem holo, amra je bhalo tar dosh khujte microscope niye boshe thaki. Zim series e BD'r best performer by miles er daai nite hoilo failure er. Tamim was decent too. Baki 9 ta player er kisu hoilo na. Selector der kisu hoilo na, directors der kisu hoilo na.Bhabkhana emon je, eder theke to keu kisu expect kore na, era fail korleo ki. kintu Shakib keno ball e ball wicket nite pare na. Tamim keno proti match e century kore na. Fan der ei dhoroner attitude jodi hypocritical na hoi, taile hypocrite er difinition notun kore jante hobe.
Match thread e dekhtam kisu fan ase, jara Shakib beshi bowling korle bolto, he must be jealous of MUllah/Razzak. Kom bowling korle bolto arey beta IPL/County khele tired hoye gese, national team ki or ancestral property naki j ekhane eshe rest nibe. R era abar nijeder Shakib hater hishebe shikar o kore na. Ei dhoroner attitude jodi hypocritical na hoi, taile hypocritical konta?
Old September 12, 2011, 01:37 AM
BC Editorial Team

MadDog & LBW - you have both crossed the line multiples times. Expect some PMs from the Mods.

I am closing this thread so that heads may cool down.

Closed Thread