facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default CI:Greater unity improved performance - Jurgensen

Greater unity improved performance - Jurgensen

Mohammad Isam

Bangladesh became a tighter unit after they were pushed into a corner due to injury problems, and this helped them perform well in the memorable draw in Galle, according to their coach Shane Jurgensen. Their first-innings score of 638 - Bangladesh's highest in Test cricket - will be a source of motivation leading up to the second Test in Colombo, which begins on Saturday.

"All the issues and injuries in our team actually made us stronger as a group and more determined," Jurgensen said. "It was led very well by the captain and vice-captain. When we were batting, we made sure we sat together. There wasn't much of a crowd in Galle so the boys had to support those in the middle from the dressing room."

Read Full

Old March 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Cricinfo te porsilam

Amar ekta jinish bhalo lagena he never talks about the bowling performance. Windies series eo bolenai.

Isnt he our bowling coach??

Need to hire a good bowling coach as soon as possible.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

The timing of this interview is not right. We have played one match so far, job is not done yet. And he already saying how and why the team performed so well. IMHO, too early to talk about success..

And i agree with Murad bhai. Haven't seen SJ talking about our pacers. He was hired as a bowling coach, so we can expect some decent performance from our pacers but performance was very poor. And we got a new coach who is working with our batsmen. So I would give him credit, not SJ.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Cricinfo te porsilam

Amar ekta jinish bhalo lagena he never talks about the bowling performance. Windies series eo bolenai.

Isnt he our bowling coach??

Need to hire a good bowling coach as soon as possible.
What's there to talk about bowling....it was a pathetic effort (exaggerated by the flatness of the pitch and drop catches). I'm sure SJ is thinking the same as you, "we need a pace bowling coach".
Old March 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
Test Cricketer

give credits where its due..the new guy hardly had any time...sj is here for around 2 years.....and bd has been decent during his time...may be he is a good strategist and prepapares his team well....
Old March 13, 2013, 11:40 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Why don't they ask him about our bowling?
Old March 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

I never heard him saying any technical issue.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

imo Its perfect time to praise our batting performance as a head coach, especially when our superstars aint present and a historic away test draw is made here. While except our openers we aint lacking batting issue atm, I like to hear about our bowling failure from SJ. If he wants this team to win, he must bring in better package to this side than current one atm. Either he should admit the incapability of our bowlers or give reasonings why they aint performing.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Shobai ase nijeke promote korar taale. Amader murubbi ekta r SJ ekta.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Come on guys give the guy some credit. We did very well against West Indies and now our first draw against Sri Lanka. Look at the history, 7 innings defeat in past tours. Judging from Mohammad Isams article, it sounds like SJ is really working on the soft side-which is the confidence, motivation, team spirit, unity, sticking to game plan/tactics etc. This is also sth the late Eddie Barlow tried to do. Focused less on the technical side, gave more emphasis to the mental side.

A head coach shouldnt be there to teach ABCD's. That work must be done at Under 19 and academy level.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:57 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

SJ had very little time to do any coaching between domestics games, BPL and the Sri Lanka tour. If he had run a month long camp prior to the series I would have given him due credit. As i see it, the coach could be Shujon right now and there wouldn't be any difference in our performance.
Have we seen any improvement in Anamul's footwork? or Shahadat's bowling?, Abul's Bowling? Sunny's bowling? Did we see innovative plans set for Sangakara? Did we see our fielding efforts go up?
I don't think so. The only thing that has been good is our batting and the guys that are performing have found form during the BPL and not due to an SJ magic potion
Old March 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ Have to agree with Jadukor there. SJ starting to sound more like Whatmore (with less technical knowledege) nowadays.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
SJ had very little time to do any coaching between domestics games, BPL and the Sri Lanka tour. If he had run a month long camp prior to the series I would have given him due credit. As i see it, the coach could be Shujon right now and there wouldn't be any difference in our performance.
Have we seen any improvement in Anamul's footwork? or Shahadat's bowling?, Abul's Bowling? Sunny's bowling? Did we see innovative plans set for Sangakara? Did we see our fielding efforts go up?
I don't think so. The only thing that has been good is our batting and the guys that are performing have found form during the BPL and not due to an SJ magic potion
A little harsh. Not saying SJ is entirely responsible for this turnaround. There are plenty of reasons but SJ is one of them. The team has the same positivity that we saw in Asia Cup and against West Indies. Note this wasnt the case under Pybus. I happened to see the Bangladesh camp up close under Pybus when they came to SL during Asia Cup. I cant say they had the same buzz they have now.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
I happened to see the Bangladesh camp up close under Pybus when they came to SL during Asia Cup. I cant say they had the same buzz they have now.
Which Asia Cup are you talking about? or you mean the World T-20?
The Asia Cup was in Bangladesh and Stuart Law was the reason for the positive outlook.
The team itself is uniting better now than compared to Siddons era when it was a two man show. I give credit to Mushfiq for leading by example and his ability to mingle with all the players.
I am not saying SJ is a bad coach. All I am saying is that I don't think he has had enough time to make an impact to the overall performance. He certainly didn't have any impact in our bowling or fielding. I would say both have regressed since Pont and Fountain left. I would like to see individual player improvement and proper team plans before I will give credit to SJ
Old March 14, 2013, 02:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

SJ needs to show improvement in the bowling dept, I don't expect him to do much in other side.

Rather ill be happy if he doesn't try to do much with other depts.
Old March 14, 2013, 03:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Which Asia Cup are you talking about? or you mean the World T-20?
The Asia Cup was in Bangladesh and Stuart Law was the reason for the positive outlook.
The team itself is uniting better now than compared to Siddons era when it was a two man show. I give credit to Mushfiq for leading by example and his ability to mingle with all the players.
I am not saying SJ is a bad coach. All I am saying is that I don't think he has had enough time to make an impact to the overall performance. He certainly didn't have any impact in our bowling or fielding. I would say both have regressed since Pont and Fountain left. I would like to see individual player improvement and proper team plans before I will give credit to SJ
Sorry my bad. I meant i watched the Bangladeshi team up close when they came to Sri Lanka to play in the T20 WC.

SJ was the deputy to Stuart Law and both seem to be from the same school of thought. They really made a difference for Bangladesh in Asia Cup focusing very much on the soft side of the game. Also when Law left he suggested we make Jurgensen the head coach.

But agree a lot of individual improvement is required. Pace bowling in particular is in tatters. Fielding level is decent, but we continue to make silly mistakes.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think your being little harsh on SJ, He has done some goods like the Plan against Chris Gayle @ home, The good bowling by bowlers at home against West Indies. Its better to give SJ the full series to make a judgement, remember that even Staurt Law or Jamie Siddons did not achieve much with bangladesh overseas. The moment our pacer's flop on a sporting wicket, I will defo start to worry.. So far its all been about batting.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I am not sure about technical side but it looks like SJ has a positive effect on the mind set of our players.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms01
I think your being little harsh on SJ, He has done some goods like the Plan against Chris Gayle @ home, The good bowling by bowlers at home against West Indies. Its better to give SJ the full series to make a judgement, remember that even Staurt Law or Jamie Siddons did not achieve much with bangladesh overseas. The moment our pacer's flop on a sporting wicket, I will defo start to worry.. So far its all been about batting.
As i said before i am not criticizing him or saying he is a bad coach. I am saying he hasn't had enough time in my opinion to make substantive changes and i will give credit to him only when i see improvements at an individual level.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms01
Saqlain says HELLLO!!!!

Only the spinners did well against windies.

And it was saqlain who made the plan for gayle with gazi. Gazi said it himself after the series.

Shane works with pacers only. His only job was to work with pacers for last 1.5-2 yrs. And he totally failed in that department.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
I am not sure about technical side but it looks like SJ has a positive effect on the mind set of our players.
Oi player der majhe ki bowlerra o ache naki bhai??
Old March 14, 2013, 11:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Saqlain says HELLLO!!!!

Only the spinners did well against windies.

And it was saqlain who made the plan for gayle with gazi. Gazi said it himself after the series.

Shane works with pacers only. His only job was to work with pacers for last 1.5-2 yrs. And he totally failed in that department.
But should we blame only Shane for our pace debacle?
Old March 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Somebody should ask Richard if there are any pacers worth looking at among those 80 and what he's doing to get them in shape.

Old March 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Somebody should ask Richard if there are any pacers worth looking at among those 80 and what he's doing to get them in shape.

can't stop laughing BCAuntie's comment on Akram ...may be she should tell Richard to include him too
Old March 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Here is how I see it:

- I see no harm JS speaking out after 1st TEST before the end of the series. Yes job is not done yet, but it was a great accomplishment for Bangladesh team from different aspect even it was a draw.

- Yes JS didn't said anything about fast bolwing i.e. deficiencies. What he is supposed to say? In the middle of the series with some sign of success, I think it’s wise to give more attention to the positives (than negatives) in the media. Why media didn’t ask the question? It’s not JS’s fault. May be at the end of the series he may open up his mind about our FBs. But now it will not bring any positives to the team.

- Yes the FB was toothless. But so was SL's FBs. So was Sunny (the other spinner). This is not the pitch that FBs will do something, we had 8 centuries in that game and none of the FBs of both sides dominated in that pitch.

- Yes JS doesn't have much success with the FBs as a specialized (FB) coach. And we all agree with that. But now his role has been changed for last two series and that's where he should be evaluated i.e. potentially how good a head coach he is?

- Yes individual improvement is important, and team improvement will be the cumulative of multiple individual improvements. And when we judge a head coach, for good or for bad, the team improvement is more appropriate criteria than individual improvement.

- Yes individual improvement is good, but as a fan, I care more about team improvement.

- JS is not going to solve all the problems, but if we back him up with good specialized coaches ( that is re allocating some of the head coach's money to specialized coaches), then I see more realistic solution for us rather than spending high-profile high-maintenance head coach

- I see some positives from the WI series. Yes he may be lucky and may be “at the right position at the right time”. But at the same token, I would rather have “lucky head coach” who brings good result than a “great but unlucky head coach” who can bring no positive result and only gives us excuses for his failure.

- I would rather have young unproven but “hungry for success” head coach than established high profile “fat cat” head coach who doesn’t look like committed to the challenge (of leading our team).

- Yes it’s early to give full credits to JS. But on the other hand it’s also too early to discount him as a failure as a potential head coach material. Atleast we should acknowledge that the signs are good.

- The role of a specialized coach and the role of head coach are two different things, so we shouldn’t compare those two together; it’s like comparing apple to oranges. JS may not be a good bowling coach, that doesn’t make him an automatic bad choice for head coach.

- BCB must have seen something closely working with JS that we didn't have the opportunity to observe. May be that’s why they have more faith on him than some of us. May be that's why they promoted him as temporary head coach even when his success as bowling coach was not apparent to the fans. And so far it looks like may be BCB was right.