facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 16, 2009, 02:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
This is a perfect example of a personal insult. I can sense the animosity in your last comment. You have decided to take it out on me already.

You dont seem to follow your own advice very well. I dont think that was very gentlemanly of you.
If you feel that was a personal insult ....REPORT IT! and wait to see what happens.

Old July 16, 2009, 02:55 AM
Cricket Guru

BTW, I am overwhelmed by all welcome back posts, did not realized I had been missed here that much!
Old July 16, 2009, 02:57 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Dear Bruno, please visit youtube comment section; then you can argue about freedom of adulthood. Banglacricket has decided to maintain certain "conservative standard" - and it will follow that. It might be not to your liking or to the likings of "foreigners" but that is too bad.
"My way or the highway" is not the solution. No one resolved to maintain anything. Certain individuals have been crusading their own agendas. I do not have to go to other websites just because you feel so.
You are as much a member of this forum as I am, and we all have a right to shape the direction of this forum. Part of being a man is also to LISTEN and ACCEPT.

Quote:
Banglacricket is flaurishing because it must be doing smething right.
There is no basis for this. Its just your personal opinion.

Quote:
I like to think politeness is a standard on its own. It doesn't hurt to be polite. In real life, if you are a d***, you do that with the knowledge that the person you are di***** may knock your head out. Unfortunately, that fear is not present online. So the least a forum can do is hand out bans (or some sort of punishments).
Hypocritical at best. You insult me the whole way with your aggressive tone and allude to knocking me out if you could, but you end with:

Quote:
So BE A MAN and do the right thing.. Be nice!
Im sorry you have not followed your own advice. Before advising on someone's character that you hardly know, tone it down a bit.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
This is a perfect example of a personal insult. I can sense the animosity in your last comment. You have decided to take it out on me already.

You dont seem to follow your own advice very well. I dont think that was very gentlemanly of you.
Quote:
Forgive me if I am incorrect, but it seems for the comments, that some here are from conservative backgrounds. I can understand where you are coming from. But instead of looking at the other person is an idiot or an unreasonable person, try to understand the cultural differences between you folks.

There are a lot of European, Canadian and American members. They are more liberal in speech and thought and express it that way. If someone takes offense to that, things can get confrontational. But you have to accept a bit of that, because you are talking to folks from different perspectives and different outlook on life. Non that is inferior to you.

And about the cursing, I dont quite agree with simply reporting ppl at every turn. Its childish. You cant complain to mom and dad in real life every time. It shows you are willing to have someone else do things you are incompetent to handle. Have a good word or two with the other person. Be a man, not a snitch.
See my friend, its very difficult to judge/understand others as you mentioned in your posts. Seems you did the same mistake here while reading Orpheus's posts!
Old July 16, 2009, 03:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
"My way or the highway" is not the solution.....
You are as much a member of this forum as I am,
I was talking from the perspective of Banglacricket forum, not myself. No where in that post was about me or about you. But I am sure you already knew that.

So yes keep going - you probably picked on the wrong person in the forum to prove your point

Here I stop responding to you :p See how easy it is to follow my own advice?
Old July 16, 2009, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
If you feel that was a personal insult ....REPORT IT! and wait to see what happens.
Perhaps a moderator urself or have a friend in power...thanks. Now I know the integrity of the mods: Zilch.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
This topic prolly does not belong to this section, but this is an important issue that need to be talked about for sake of this forum:

Part of the reasons I lost motivations to post here (besides real life issues and that Bangladesh team has not shown any improvement lately) was how fast debates here degenerate. Coming back to the forum after a few months break, I see things only gotten worse. I see plenty of people (including some veterans of the board!)here starting to throw personal insults when they run out logic to present their side of debates. I understand it's hard to maintain standard of a forum where so many different kind of people are participating, but I urge the mods to take tough actions when people resort to personal insults. Delete those posts, warn posters, lock degenerative threads - do whatever is necessary!
Ehsen:Welcome back.

I haven't had time to read all the follow up posts on this thread yet. After reading your post, I just wanted to apologize to you if I had hurt your feeling in any way in the past.

I've had my share of problems here, I'm sure some of the mods know about them. However, I've learned a few things about communicating with others also. If all else fail, just have a look at this. It will make you feel better instatly

Regards.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Billah Bhai, I don't appreciate that joke about Special Olympics, but thanks for WB
Old July 16, 2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Perhaps a moderator urself or have a friend in power...thanks. Now I know the integrity of the mods: Zilch.
Isn't it an imotional statement?!!!
Old July 16, 2009, 03:19 AM
Banned

Orpheus has clocked in significant hours on BC, i dont think its unreasonable to assume he has a hand in what goes on with reporting. He seemed reasonably confident he is untouchable. I have heard of him reporting many members to ban before and they were banned, so definitely, not an emotional reaction. There is a connection and its disturbing.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

yeah wlecome back Eshen, have missed your posts as they're quality and respectful. as for the moderating, it does take a little while to get use to but i reckon it's pretty good.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Orpheus has clocked in significant hours on BC, i dont think its unreasonable to assume he has a hand in what goes on with reporting. He seemed reasonably confident he is untouchable. I have heard of him reporting many members to ban before and they were banned, so definitely, not an emotional reaction. There is a connection and its disturbing.
I highly dought though.

Quote:
There is no basis for this. Its just your personal opinion.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:29 AM
Banned

RazabQ is here. Maybe he can explain better....
Old July 16, 2009, 03:32 AM
BC Editorial Team

Alright, I'll wade in. In my official role as moderator.

This is a private forum. As such those who run this forum can choose to set certain rules around permissible behavior. All clubs or officially formulated groups do so. We are not restricting who can join based on age, credo, faith, ethnicity, etc.. Anyone can (well we have some requirements around minors). We are merely governing usage (i.e. we are acting on posters' actions) and our primary goal is to maintain an environment of civic _and_ coherent discourse. If someone feels this model of governance to be overly oppressive, than there is no need suffer under the yokels of afore-mentioned oppression. There are lots of cricket sites/forums out there.

About the moderators. It has been mentioned often but is perhaps worth repeating again. Very rarely does a moderator act alone. On most contentious issues (and absolutely in the case of bans), the whole pool deliberate on the best course of action. Given that the moderators come from various geographies, nationalities and personal background, this theoretically should, and IMHO, practically indeed does, provide some form of normalization against any personal bias on the part of an individual moderator.

WRT the points raised by Eshen, yes indeed every once in a while, a thread will degenerate into a mud-slinging contest. To the extent possible we do try to curtail it but we (mods) do have a day job and life outside. So, as Orphy has pointed out, please do report offending posts/behavior. If one perceives reporting to be "snitching" then I would counter with I perceive reporting to be "whistle-blowing". See it's all in the framing
Old July 16, 2009, 03:35 AM
BC Editorial Team

As myself: WRT Orphy, if he's connected then his connections must not be worth a damn because that brutha been banned a few times. I'll say this, he sure knows how to get to the very edge of being permanently banned but not quite. Methinks he shoulda studied law.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

It doesn't matter if the government is autocratic (BC), or democratic, it is never possible to please all people
Old July 16, 2009, 03:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

@ Shardul - our celebration and non-celebration debate is enough proof about your comment on pleasing all people
Old July 16, 2009, 03:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

If you guys are after moderation you should go to somewhereinblog. Worst moderation ever possible. Mizan bhai also wrote a lot there about their moderation policy.

BC's moderation is unique and very effective but sometimes you might find it a bit harsh. Because reality bites.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:09 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

I am not in favor of banning, unless someone is intensionally trying to abuse the forum. As human being, we might go over board sometimes, the moderators here are usually sensible guys. They may edit offensive posts.

As BC members, we do not need to agree on each and every point. So, there is nothing like a permanent 'enemy'. On some issues some people agree, while in some others, they do not. It is life and we have to live with it. If someone finds some posts as pure personal attack, just press the report button.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

GREAT to have you back Ehsen! I for one missed you ...

Moderations wise, I'm cool with the staus quo. I also appreciate wide range of opinions, quality, and styles here. I like passionate and thoughful posts from guys like you, but also the lighter stuff. There are things I dislike and find annoying. I'm sure others may feel something similar, either way, after reading my posts. Live and let live, I say. The same attitude I have towards our young cricketers.

Chill.Pill.Bro. But deeply appreciate your concern ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 16, 2009 at 05:28 AM..
Old July 16, 2009, 04:17 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

I tried 1 or 2 offensive stuffs long before to check how effective BC's moderation is?

"সন্ত্রাসীরা মাঠির নিচে লুকিয়েও বাচতে পারবেনা"- সাবেক সন্ত্রাসী মন্রী জনাব নাছিমের এই হাস্যকর উক্তি বাংলা ক্রিকেটের মডারেশনের বেলায় একমাত্র হাস্যকর মনে হয় না।

and welcome back Eshen.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:40 AM
Club Cricketer

yeh moderation here is over the top.. i had my nik as banglapimp..n they banned me. had that nik for like 1.5 yers ( didnt post much)..didnt ban me then..but wen i show up..gun me down. now im raftsah..but still the same person.

probly ban me now too for changing my nik from that.

just use the report button
Old July 16, 2009, 04:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Weird. I was about to open a thread about loosening the irongrip of moderation a tad.

Anyway, as mentioned before, it is a global forum, so frictions are inevitable and in some cases, enjoyable. If not for my srguements with Fazal, T_E, raynman, my stay here wouldn't be half as fun, but yeah, lines need to be drwan and that is purely a job of the poster.

Besides, some of the forumsI visit (with and without cricket forums) are way more savage. I practically had to destroy more than one persons ego in many forums, some thing I'm not exactly proud of. But here in BC, even in extreme cases, it's not that bad.Besides it's all forgive and forget. I locked horns with someone last night. Can't even remember whom. I will probably embrace that same person in another thread. It's all part of the fun.
Old July 16, 2009, 05:07 AM
Cricket Guru

I am sure you can find tons of worse maintained forums out there, but that does not mean there are not better maintained forums out there too (even among sports forums where emotions are bound to erupt). I admit mods here are very active in suppressing vulgarity, but you can be still insulting without using vulgarity (some people actually wants to be insulting that way to show off their intelligence!) and can still create an unhealthy environment for discussion.

I am not asking mods to be over analytical what people say here (that will just create more complications), but when insults are obvious (whether vulgarity is used or not) - it's time to intervene.

Last edited by Eshen; July 16, 2009 at 05:43 AM..
Old July 16, 2009, 05:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
This topic prolly does not belong to this section, but this is an important issue that need to be talked about for sake of this forum:

Part of the reasons I lost motivations to post here (besides real life issues and that Bangladesh team has not shown any improvement lately) was how fast debates here degenerate. Coming back to the forum after a few months break, I see things only gotten worse. I see plenty of people (including some veterans of the board!)here starting to throw personal insults when they run out logic to present their side of debates. I understand it's hard to maintain standard of a forum where so many different kind of people are participating, but I urge the mods to take tough actions when people resort to personal insults. Delete those posts, warn posters, lock degenerative threads - do whatever is necessary!
I agree.

Disagreement is perfectly ok (Logically or illogically), but when people throw personal insults, that's unacceptable. It's only my opinion.