facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 19, 2007, 01:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Build up series- Historically India has been the better team than Australia in the Border Gavaskar trophy

I emphasized in the first episode of the Cricket Magic 'build up' series that India has been the toughest opponent to Australia in test cricket in the past. Here we will take a look at the history and try to find out some statistics. India and Australia decided to periodically play test cricket against each other for a trophy that was named the Border Gavaskar trophy. The first Border Gavaskar series was played in 1996-97 in India and so far the two teams have faced each other six times to fight for the Border Gavaskar trophy. In this episode of the Cricket Magic 'build up' series, we will find out who has been the more dominant team throughout.

Out of the six times that India and Australia have played for the Border-Gavaskar trophy, India has secured the trophy four times and Australia managed it only two times. The first series was played in 1996-1997 in India which India won it by 1-0. The second was played in 1997-1998 in India which India won by 2-1. The third was played in 1999-2000 in Australia which Australia won by 3-0. The fourth was played in 2000-2001 in India which India won by 2-1. The fifth one was played in 2003-2004 in Australia which was drawn 1-1 and India being the current champions, retained the trophy. The sixth one was played in 2004-2005 in India which was won by Australia by 2-1. Thus Australia are the current champions.

One more thing to note is that Sachin Tendulkar has won the ‘player of the series’ award twice.

We will come back with more interesting information in the next episode of the Cricket Magic 'build up' series.

Old December 19, 2007, 02:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Build it as much up as you want mate.
But the result will still be ZERO!!

There is no chance in hell India coming close to winning back the trophy.

OZ rules all the way!!
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 19, 2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

have you also noticed India has never won one the series in Australia
Old December 19, 2007, 03:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

OZ rules all the way!!
I think the expectations are more of getting to watch some very high quality cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzfan
have you also noticed India has never won one the series in Australia
India came very close to doing that last time. Something no other team can even dream of. There is no reason why India cant do it this time. Though Australia has a more than 95% chance of winning.
Old December 19, 2007, 04:20 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

Reasons why India will beat Aus

1: Captain Kumble -- very calm, very smart, experienced test player, not to mention one of the top 3 spinners after Murali, Warne.

2: Team India's outlook and expressions have changed since 20/20 wc win.

3: Aus w/o warne, mcgrath, martyn, langer

4: India with mindblowing batting line up with dada, tendu, dravid, laxy followed by jaffer/yuvi/ dhoni and backup pathan and let's not forget SEHWAG. Ishant Sharma will be the surprise weapon for India.
Old December 19, 2007, 05:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
Reasons why India will beat Aus

1: Captain Kumble -- very calm, very smart, experienced test player, not to mention one of the top 3 spinners after Murali, Warne.

2: Team India's outlook and expressions have changed since 20/20 wc win.

3: Aus w/o warne, mcgrath, martyn, langer

4: India with mindblowing batting line up with dada, tendu, dravid, laxy followed by jaffer/yuvi/ dhoni and backup pathan and let's not forget SEHWAG. Ishant Sharma will be the surprise weapon for India.
Reasons India will Loss to Aus
1. Captain Ricky - Very calm, very smart, experienced test player, not to mention the top 1 batsman of the world.
2. Aus are truly beaten by the backyard cricket called 20/20. They are hungry for revenge. Remember Ashes
3. Aus with a mature Lee, fast improving Tait and the best left arm pacer in the world named Michel Johnson, McGrath Jnr Stuart Clark
4. Ausa with super mindblowing batting line up from top to bottom . Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Gilchrist. Lets not forgot the batting prowse of Lee. Unfortunately aussi do not have a surprise weapon (who may or may not click).
5. They have never lost a home series (For how many years, can anybody tell)

somebody told us India almost beat. remember the attack Aussi have that time. No Mcgrath, No Warne was there. Also Lee was unfit
Old December 19, 2007, 06:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Reasons India will Loss to Aus
1. Captain Ricky - Very calm, very smart, experienced test player, not to mention the top 1 batsman of the world.
2. Aus are truly beaten by the backyard cricket called 20/20. They are hungry for revenge. Remember Ashes
3. Aus with a mature Lee, fast improving Tait and the best left arm pacer in the world named Michel Johnson, McGrath Jnr Stuart Clark
4. Ausa with super mindblowing batting line up from top to bottom . Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Gilchrist. Lets not forgot the batting prowse of Lee. Unfortunately aussi do not have a surprise weapon (who may or may not click).
5. They have never lost a home series (For how many years, can anybody tell)

somebody told us India almost beat. remember the attack Aussi have that time. No Mcgrath, No Warne was there. Also Lee was unfit
Amazing that you have not counted India's weaknesses in reasons why Australia will win

Well, if you look closely, there was a greater difference between the two teams four years ago when India got so close to what most teams considered unthinkable. Now where Australia is not as good as they were then, India looks a more balanced side in comparison to 2004.

India will score over Australia in spin. Australia will score over India in pace. In batting I would assume both teams are even. Thats quite a contest coming up.
Old December 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

History is past, it doesnt effect the fact, to win a test match you must take 20 wickets. And the current indian bowling attack is not strong enough to take 20 australian wickets.

Case closed.
Old December 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Build up my friend...build up. If you can secure a series win, I shall give you a khamba as gift.

If you don't win, please promise that you'll stop bothering us by saying you'll win against Australia?
Old December 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Build up my friend...build up. If you can secure a series win, I shall give you a khamba as gift.

If you don't win, please promise that you'll stop bothering us by saying you'll win against Australia?
You are asking me to go against hope Kabir? You are asking a fan to start a series with no hopes of his side winning? Are you? You are as well dismissing every chance of India winning, huh? The khamba shall remain with you, so we hope. We have kept the trophy in India for longer than the toughest unit in cricket has and we shall get it back here again soon, so we hope. Playing against Australia, the odds are against us; but it has become more of a norm than exception for us to become an impediment in the way of Australian rule in cricket. And continue this trend, we shall.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Damn man...those few words, brought tears in my eyes. It touched my, ahem...can't tell. The way you wrote it, sounded like an oppressed guy is asking for freedom.

The tears will remain in my eyes, so I not hope. The khamba remains with you, so I hope.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

There is no point speculating on the result of the present series based on past results. As far as the present series is concerned, BCCI have done their team a big disservice by having just one warm up game. Getting acclimatised for the test match after one match is a tall order, and that may hurt the team BCCI in test matches.

Australia are definitely stronger on paper and on field, but I hope the Indian team gives them a good fight, unlike what their other opponents- viz Sri Lanka, England, South Africa etc have been able to provide against Australia.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
History is past, it doesnt effect the fact, to win a test match you must take 20 wickets. And the current indian bowling attack is not strong enough to take 20 australian wickets.

Case closed.
History is definitely past and by nature, it has always been so. But does history lose it's importance by that? No. History in this case is more relevant. Specifically for Australia. They have made the mistake of under estimating India in the past and have suffered great deal for it- ask Shane Warne and he will tell you hair raising stories of dreadful days and sleepless nights. And the Australian think tank, in all probability, would be turning pages of history right now. They have learned the hard way not to ignore it because as they say, 'history repeats itself'. There is little doubt that they will come with full strength to counter India whom they have admitted as their toughest opponents. Last time India had broken their winning row after as many as 13 straight victories. This time the figure is smaller, but the pride at stake is higher.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Damn man...those few words, brought tears in my eyes. It touched my, ahem...can't tell. The way you wrote it, sounded like an oppressed guy is asking for freedom.

The tears will remain in my eyes, so I not hope. The khamba remains with you, so I hope.
Its not an oppressed guy asking for freedom. Its an injured tiger seeking revenge. Australia left us with a wound last time around when they defeated us at our home. We seek a similar fate of this series against the hosts. We want to exorcise the ghost that has terrorized the cricketing world in the last half and one decade.

BTW where did the words touch?
Old December 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
Its not an oppressed guy asking for freedom. Its an injured tiger seeking revenge. Australia left us with a wound last time around when they defeated us at our home. We seek a similar fate of this series against the hosts. We want to exorcise the ghost that has terrorized the cricketing world in the last half and one decade.
Bro, really. You should put your name in for writing on CricInfo. Those poetic words don't work in real world my friend. Coz what you're talking about is the best team in the world, not a ghost team. And they haven't terrorized the cricketing world...they simply outperformed every team in this world. According to your definition, USA is the biggest terrorist of this world. I guess?

As for how the series will go, insideedge said it right - lets wait and see. Playing Aussies in their backyard is playing India in their backyard. My honest intentions are not to hurt you, but make you realize that it is next to impossible to beat them at home. It hasn't happened in recent history, and it's not likely to happen anytime soon. But if you insist, lets watch and hope for the best. If India wins, I'll take my share of the humble pie.

As for supporting India, I would do that right when the Indian media and the Indians in general change their perception of their sister nation. It sounds stupid, but you will know how it feels if you were in my shoes.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

OZ rules all the way!!
Are you saying India will lose like bangladesh in 3 days...
Old December 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi
Are you saying India will lose like bangladesh in 3 days...
No he's saying that India can't put up a fight like Bangladesh did when Australia was crying for life.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
History is definitely past and by nature, it has always been so. But does history lose it's importance by that? No. History in this case is more relevant. Specifically for Australia. They have made the mistake of under estimating India in the past and have suffered great deal for it- ask Shane Warne and he will tell you hair raising stories of dreadful days and sleepless nights. And the Australian think tank, in all probability, would be turning pages of history right now. They have learned the hard way not to ignore it because as they say, 'history repeats itself'. There is little doubt that they will come with full strength to counter India whom they have admitted as their toughest opponents. Last time India had broken their winning row after as many as 13 straight victories. This time the figure is smaller, but the pride at stake is higher.
Dude we are talking about a cricket series not a struggle for freedom lol. but your words hold national pride, and you as a fan should be proud of that.

But cricketing sense tells me to write off India.

But in cricket ANYTHING can HAPPEN.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Okay, let me come out of my poetic patriotic mood for a while. Please bear with my language which is the result of reading as many as five 150 year old English novels in the last one week.

Practically speaking, India's chances are very low. But since they have played exceptional cricket against Australia in the past, we can hope them to do the same again....may be at varying degrees. But they do raise their game when they play Australia. So, here, hoping for the a great test series and Hoping for an Indian victory which is low in probability.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Nooo...I demand that you remain in that mood. Pleaseee..oh God...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Old December 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Amazing that you have not counted India's weaknesses in reasons why Australia will win
India's only weakness i can see is their new ball bowlers. Zaheer Khan is decent bowler but the rest aren't any special to shake australian batting order but India will do better than any other team that played against australia in recent time. ricky ponting may be the no. 1 in ranking and they have clarke, hayden, hussey, gilchrist but India has Sachin, saurav, dravid, laxman, dhoni so batting wise India is not far behind Australia, may be they are way ahead. But bowling wise India is far behind and Australia will capitalize on that. but none the less it will be a wonderful series to watch
Old December 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Nooo...I demand that you remain in that mood. Pleaseee..oh God...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
As you wish sir!
Old December 19, 2007, 11:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
India's only weakness i can see is their new ball bowlers. Zaheer Khan is decent bowler but the rest aren't any special to shake australian batting order but India will do better than any other team that played against australia in recent time. ricky ponting may be the no. 1 in ranking and they have clarke, hayden, hussey, gilchrist but India has Sachin, saurav, dravid, laxman, dhoni so batting wise India is not far behind Australia, may be they are way ahead. But bowling wise India is far behind and Australia will capitalize on that. but none the less it will be a wonderful series to watch
Given that they will be tested on the Australian pitches, I would rate the Australian batting line up a little above the Indian.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

This will be a great series. Is it a four match series? India batting will have to stand between wins and losses for their team. If they can post a big total every time, even the apparent weakness in bowling ( due to injuries ) can be hidden somewhat. And, if you look at India batting card, almost all of them ( top six ) are capable of scoring a big hundred on any given innings. Their resume and current form indicates that. Big factor also going for India is the rise of Dhoni as a batsman in the mode of Gilchrist, who can turn the game in one session. I have a hunch that this tour will be the end of Rahul Dravid. He is struggling by his mighty standard and Aussies will pounce on any weakness. Well, whatever I said about India batting holds true for Australia as well. Currently Aussies have the edge on bowling, but if India can post a good total everytime, which they are capable of, this series should go down to the wire.