facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 3, 2005, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria
Default Another idea to help the minnows?

I dont know if any of you have heard of this yet, but yesterday during the tea interval in the TV coverage of West Indies and South Africa, there was a discussion going on about trying to improve Bangladesh and Zimbabwe test cricket. The great Clive Lloyd was suggesting 2 overseas players for the Bang. and Zimb. to help them progress in the test arena. The overseas players would be of the cricket boards choice, but they have to be overseas players of whom have just retired from international cricket and want a different experience of playing for a different country and are not too old (probably like Wasim Akram, Cullinan etc). If this new rule were to be applied by the ICC, it would only apply to the weaker teams and also to the teams introduced to test cricket only.

In My opinion, I dont like this idea, as I do not want any foreigners playing the Bangladeshi team as it would just completly change the development of Bangladesh cricket and Bangladesh's hopes of winning would probably rest on these overseas players. To me, any weak or new test team, have to play to gain experience by playing more test matches and play to their strengths to become a better team. I would still say that this idea is better than the idea of a two tier system.

What do you guys think?

Old April 3, 2005, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Code:
The great Clive Lloyd was suggesting 2 overseas players for the Bang. and Zimb.
Seems like the more he is getting older the more his intelligence is deteriorating.
Old April 3, 2005, 08:36 AM
Cricket Legend

In theory, sounds good. (hmm come to think of it in theory it is also questionable..)
Clive lloyd may have the best intentions but cannot agree with these guys playing in
the test team. C'mon a test team is a test team- and for Bangladesh i hope there is an iota of pride associated with it.. It's not that they are foreign- they are discards from their own team .

First of all the commitment and dedication to the team will be dubious. And who says that these retirees will be better than our crop of players.

Nontheless, i would welcome more of them figuring prominently in the domestic scene and coaching the domestic outfits.

Edited on, April 3, 2005, 1:37 PM GMT, by oracle.
Old April 3, 2005, 08:36 AM
Retired BC Admin

Yes, we heard about it few years ago. At present both ideas are matters of the past. I don't think we need to expand on these ideas any more. Cheers.
Old April 3, 2005, 09:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

It's the most outrageous idea among all the ideas that were suggested by cricket pundits to improve standard of cricket!
Old April 3, 2005, 09:58 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
I don't know about Zimbabwe, but if such a step is really taken, then there will be outrage, hartal, michil (procession), meeting, lathipeta, demand for our CEO to be sacked, demand for our Board president as well as the selectors to be fired from the BCB's respective positions, bidroho among our players etc. etc. not only among us - fans, but also among the former national cricketers as well as current national cricketers.

Now if the situation that we were under Mohsin Kamal, or Trevor Chappell - the situation had not imroved, rather, those 4 years (between the year 2001 to 2003 - upto world cup) had continued for 10 years, then the above processions and hartals might not happen. But as long as we're beating teams like Zimbabwe - when they were weaker than us, or UAE, or Holland, and showing signs of improvement as we have been showing under Whatmore, then those uprisings might occur.
Old April 3, 2005, 10:09 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
Nontheless, i would welcome more of them figuring prominently in the domestic scene and coaching the domestic outfits.
Yes. And remember, we get national discarded players like those of India, or yet to be playing their debut match-youngsers from Pakistan come to Bangladesh to play in the national leagues or in the club competitions.

We would rather want to have Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Md. Azharuddin, Wasim Akram etc. to play & be a coach for Abahani, Mohammedan or Dhaka, Chittagong. It may not be that they'd be playing in all the matches throughout the season. For example, our current national players will not be able to play in our national league from the next round (or the current round), then those great players could come in the places of Ashraful, Habibul Bashar etc. It would not only be a new kind of experience for them (for both those great players as well as our fringe players), but will also be helping us indirectly by just staying in Bangladesh for a few days or a week or so.

In fact, I think that Steve Waugh has helped Scotland a great deal by playing for them, but I have never heard somebody from outside the Indian subcontinent to come here and play for any of our domestic teams, except for Neil Fairbrother (almost a decade ago).
Old April 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
First Class Cricketer

Clive bhaier mone hoi abar cricket khelar shok hoise.
Old April 3, 2005, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ovi Khan
Clive bhaier mone hoi abar cricket khelar shok hoise.
Ha! Ha! Ha!...spot on......its all rubbish really...Its impossible for a foreigner to play with the same level of determination and commitment as someone playing for his own country...More importantly.....WE DONT LIKE IT!
Old April 3, 2005, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

if would be really funny. Waugh playing for BD or Atherton playing for Zimbabwe.
Old April 3, 2005, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

I can see how it might help raise the standard of cricket being played, but how on earth does it improve the standard of our players? It will only make it worse because our guys will depend on the foreigners to do the scoring and take the wickets. That used to happen everytime a sub-continental superstar would feature in a premiere league match, all the local players would just leave it to the foreign player to do the work! Crap idea. Send us better coaches, especially for the NCL teams, help us improve our pitches, practice facilities etc, na, he wants to send us retired players from other countries!! As if players of other countries are dying to play for us anyway. The only reason that they would play is for money, and we don't want mercenaries thanks very much!
Old April 3, 2005, 11:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Navarene
Code:
Seems like the more he is getting older the more his intelligence is deteriorating.
Right, senelity is catching up with him.
Old April 3, 2005, 11:22 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i dont mind the idea as long as they are restricted to carrying drinks and substituting fielders.
Old April 3, 2005, 11:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
i dont mind the idea as long as they are restricted to carrying drinks and substituting fielders.
Fully agreed.
Old April 4, 2005, 01:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

It is a good idea for me as long as there is only 2 overseas players in the country. County cricket are allowing foreign players then why cannt the Country levels. After all the cricket should be competitive ones. The games of the minors would be a weak and one sided games with very strong countries. For eg game of Australia Vs Zimbabwe. There would be say score like 700 to 800 some day in the test and the Zimbabwe will get out under 50 runs. Would this be a competitive match ?

Next when will Bangladesh win the first test win against Australia. Most probably in 10 years or 20 years

When will the next country get test status most probably in 2 years of 5 years. When will they register the first win again takes 10 years ro 15 years.

Otherwise restrict the matches in 8 countries and not to allowing minors to play cricket.

How many people would be there to see a Australia Vs Zimbabwe match. How many people would support to see Newzealand Vs Bangladesh match.

If there is one or two overseas players then there would be more competition. Two overseas players can train the entire team to reach professionals. Look on different countries there might be some people in different countries who are not born in that country. They have to wait 4 years to qualify to play in the country if they were born in another country

Say Steve Waugh and Mark Waugh. Everyone would love to see them play cricket but its impossible for them to play in Australia because of the quality of the players. If they play for Bangladesh. The Bangladesh cricket standard will improve. When the standard improves the players will try to reach up to the standard. For eg. a score aroudn 350 was impossible in 10 to 15 years above in test matches. Today 3.5 runrate is quite common in test. More matches are won in test cricket where as the matches were drawn before.

Waqar, Wasim, etc are heroes of Bangladesh people. They would love to see these guys play for Bangladesh cricket.

There should be criteria for the overseas players. They should be like these.
1. The overseas players should sign a contract for eg 6 months to play for the minor team.
2. The overseas players should be retired players or recently retired palyers.
3. If possible the overseas players stay in the country of minor cricket for period fo 2 to 3 months or if possible take the citizenship in the country.
4. There should be a qualifying for overseas players ie, 2 months or 3 months to play in the domestic matches of the country.
5. They should look for the development of the quality of the cricket in the country.

Coaches are foreign guys. Some ground stuff are foreign guys. Pitch are made in other countries. Lots of people work for employment in different countries. The playing material used can be foreign stuff.

Then y not give a chance of 2 overseas players in a country of minors ?

Looking for ur suggestions
Old April 4, 2005, 02:15 AM

Sounds like the idea is to "create a cricket market" for retired national player,
and if this happens to help the min knows or associates some way.

Well, if the idea is to get benefit for both side, then why not ICC cricket development board
take a step to organize a group of coaches and trainers from those retired nationals,
and send them to work with cricket min knows country.
ICC should make the contract with that group of coaches, and pay them,
and select which country they should work with.

I am not sure whether those retired player will agree to work with this idea,
but a payment of 3 to 5 thousand a month may gather some, if not all of those famous.
And it could be a great opportunity for those who plan to coach world wide after their retirement.
Old April 4, 2005, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

no way that is rediculous. Maybe 2 overseas players could help with the coaching and experience of players.
Old April 4, 2005, 06:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Retired foreign test players for minnows is not acceptable by ant means. But I agree with bourney3 that they can help by couching the lesser teams on ICC account.
Old April 4, 2005, 07:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yeah...the idea of other players playing for us is absolute crap.....Go tell the UAE authorities to consider that.....cheers...
Old April 4, 2005, 07:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Here is another theory: As Ausiss r the best in the business and no one seems to beat them so why don't we ply 2 oh no make it 11 Aussiss in all the teams and have a close, fighting games... and this will be alowed only to the teams that can't beat australia oh thats all 9 of them...

Edited on, April 4, 2005, 12:52 PM GMT, by akabir77.
Old April 4, 2005, 09:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Clive wants to play for bangladesh or zimbabwe?
Old April 4, 2005, 09:49 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
How many people would be there to see a Australia Vs Zimbabwe match. How many people would support to see Newzealand Vs Bangladesh match.
I don't know about Zimbabwe, but if we play well, there'll be plenty of support for Bangladesh in Bangladesh.
Old April 4, 2005, 10:00 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
Say Steve Waugh and Mark Waugh. Everyone would love to see them play cricket but its impossible for them to play in Australia because of the quality of the players. If they play for Bangladesh. The Bangladesh cricket standard will improve. When the standard improves the players will try to reach up to the standard. For eg. a score aroudn 350 was impossible in 10 to 15 years above in test matches. Today 3.5 runrate is quite common in test. More matches are won in test cricket where as the matches were drawn before.
Or, it can happen like this: Bangladesh, having both Mark Waugh and Steve Waugh playing in the first eleven. Then they both score 100s or 50s - in which case, we are very competitive against Australia, say we lose in the last ball of a 50 over game, and the rest of the players scoring less than 20, or even stay at the wicket for less than 5 balls. Then how will it improve our standard of cricket?

In fact, if the 2 Waughs are so great and so consistent that they score 200 runs together and the 9 players score 20 runs together? Will you like it? I won't. Especially because we won't be getting anywhere; and after the waughs are say, over 50 years old, and too old play cricket, or any competitive match, then what?

Then our national players will be too much dependent on the Waughs and we'll be demanding for 2 more test-players from other nations, so that we could be competitive.

Then if these new 2 players are too old to play international cricket, then we'll be asking for yet another 2 players to play for us. Thus, the process would go on & on, and in the end, we'll be too dependent and our cricket will be doomed.
Old April 4, 2005, 11:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think Clive can easily play in our Domestic competitions. His idea is good- but it shouldn't be for the national squads.
I do have a different suggestion- which is sending 2 members of each squad- from BD and Zim to different countries and play their league.
Like if we send about 10 players (2 each)- to England, Australia, West Indies, South Africa, India and/or Pakistan- then these players will be exposed to different styles of cricket and will get used to different conditions also. I also like the idea of sending promising players abroad like the MRF Pace Foundation and Australian Cricket Academy.
What do you all think?
Old April 5, 2005, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
I can see how it might help raise the standard of cricket being played, but how on earth does it improve the standard of our players? It will only make it worse because our guys will depend on the foreigners to do the scoring and take the wickets. That used to happen everytime a sub-continental superstar would feature in a premiere league match, all the local players would just leave it to the foreign player to do the work! Crap idea. Send us better coaches, especially for the NCL teams, help us improve our pitches, practice facilities etc, na, he wants to send us retired players from other countries!! As if players of other countries are dying to play for us anyway. The only reason that they would play is for money, and we don't want mercenaries thanks very much!
Sham,

Dennis Lillie's season with Tasmania in the Sheffield Shield improved young Greg Campbell so much that it got him a test cap and a trip to England. DK wasnt a shadow of his old self, but he still improved the quicks around him.

Foriegn players in the actual Test team, no. But what would you think of Stuart McGill as Captain-Coach of one of the teams in the club comp ? Similarly, if a Jamie Cox or a Michal DeVenuto came over for a season, you'd see batsman copying better techniques, rather than the limited-overs crap too many young batsmen fall into.

Ian Whitchurch