facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old November 22, 2017, 09:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Is Hardik Pandya a better test bowler than "Fizz"?

A quick look at their test statistics show some interesting numbers.

There's even a more direct comparison that can be made, since both players played multiple tests against the same opponents - Sri Lanka - in SL.

In about a month or so, Pandya is likely to get opportunities to play tests against SA in SA - something that Mustafiz very recently did, with some shockingly poor results - in a country that is known to be helpful to pace bowling.

Let's put aside their batting, since Pandya's performances on that side are 100x times better than Fizz.

But are the numbers lying? Is Pandya really a better bowling option in test cricket than the Fizz?

Old November 22, 2017, 09:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

First, HP only played in 5 innings and bowled a total of 192 delivers. That is 32 overs in total or equivalent of 2 innings of bowling at max. So way too early to gauge his Test performance and abilities.

Second, HP plays as a third (and sometimes) fourth seamer in the team. He comes in as a reliever for Bhuvi/Bumrah/Shami/Yadav. While Fizz usually is the opening bowler.

Third, the title mentions "bowler" so not sure how even mentioning batting or the metric of 1000x is even relevant.

conclusion - comparing apples with oranges. reasons as stated.
Old November 22, 2017, 09:58 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz, Sabbir, Taskin

Having Bumrah, Bhuvaneshwar, Yadav as main bowlers ahead of you takes ample load of pressure off doesn't it? While Fizz has to open and partner up with Shafiul, Taskin, Rubel and expected to be the strike bowler etc.

Comparison doesn't make sense.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:03 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

fizz is just an average bowler now after that change in action. the only reason he still looks good in our eyes is that our other fast bowlers are utter garbage.

no point comparing any bowler to our fast bowlers now..before this change in action fizz would have been compared with bhuvi or summy

I never seen pandaya bowl or bat tbh. only game I saw him was mumbai vs hydrabad when he came to bat and missed a low full toss from fizz to get bowled.

his stats look great for an all rounder though..he seems like will have a great career like kholi if he works hard
Old November 22, 2017, 10:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Hardik Pandya is a change bowler. Meaning third/forth option just like Stokes. Whereas, Fizz is Option 1, 2, 3, and 4 for us. This comparison is between Moons vs Sun. 3rd/4th options are the Moon.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

No, he is not, not yet at least . I am a big fan of Pandya, he adds immense value to our team as a true fast bowling alrounder and one of the most exciting young cricketers we have produced lately, but the sample size is just too small for me to compare. I'd rather wait and let them play for a couple more years before coming to a conclusion. Fizz is going through a rough phase, lost a good deal of pace due to injury, IMHO it is not fair to write him off just yet, per my observation Fizz is still quite ahead as a strike bowler, however as a complete package Pandya is far more lucrative and brings more to the table due to his batting and fielding prowess and would walk right into most teams, can't say the same about Fizz. Pandya is mentally stronger and a fast learner but Fizz is more gifted as a bowler, just my opinion.

Stats often don't tell the complete story, Pandya has better average in test than Hasan Ali and they both played against the same Lankan side, are we going to compare them now ? I think not.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf

I never seen pandaya bowl or bat tbh. only game I saw him was mumbai vs hydrabad when he came to bat and missed a low full toss from fizz to get bowled.
You don't remember that Asia cup t20 match? Even after losing early wks on a green top he and Rohit Sharma took us to a 160+ score, Pandya smashed Fizz for a 20+ runs over if I remember correctly.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:07 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
You don't remember that Asia cup t20 match? Even after losing early wks on a green top he and Rohit Sharma took us to a 160+ score, Pandya smashed Fizz for a 20+ runs over if I remember correctly.
sorry brother after the 2015 series in BD the India vs Bangladesh matches I only saw in bits but I followed the scorecard. the bits I saw I missed pandaya in action
Old November 22, 2017, 11:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Even in the 144WWW game, Pandya was starting to smash boundaries, but was dismissed thanks to a wonderful diving catch by Soumya Sarkar.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:22 AM
Banned for 2 weeks

Oh come'on guys!! I love how our friendly neighbor even needs a validation from us as if there is a question mark hanging.

For the first time ever, the question isn't if a Bangladeshi player is better than so and so, rather if Pandya holds up to our strike bowler's calibre (caliber?).

Loving it...
Old November 22, 2017, 11:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

The Dick beats the Fizz any day of the week.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:25 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Oh come'on guys!! I love how our friendly neighbor even needs a validation from us as if there is a question mark hanging.

For the first time ever, the question isn't if a Bangladeshi player is better than so and so, rather if Pandya holds up to our strike bowler's calibre (caliber?).

Loving it...
What did your "strike" bowler average per wicket in the pace bowler's paradise that is South Africa? 80 runs per wicket?
Old November 22, 2017, 11:29 AM
Banned for 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndYeah
What did your "strike" bowler average per wicket in the pace bowler's paradise that is South Africa? 80 runs per wicket?
  • Having a bad patch is not uncommon.
  • It was post-surgery. He still needs to get upto speed with his natural relaxed self.
  • Let's face it, it was in Saffers' own backyard. Heck even McGrath would've been bludgeoned to death by ABD.

And hey, it was you who raised the comparison. Not us.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Even in the 144WWW game, Pandya was starting to smash boundaries, but was dismissed thanks to a wonderful diving catch by Soumya Sarkar.
True that, that was one hell of a catch at a very crucial moment, could very well have been the deciding factor of the match, but thankfully Mushy kept his cool till the last moment and led us to victory.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli

Pandya looks exciting to watch. Entertainer. Looks more promising than Shakib. Could be the next best all-rounder in limited overs for sure. Fizz is good, but the bowling attack is not as good as India's, so he has to lead from the front. Bumrah has much better stats by the way.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
You are too harsh on him man, no offence. Considering it was his first tour to SA and the kind of opponent he faced right after recovering from injury we could really cut him some slack. TBH it wasn't exactly a fast bowling paradise either, we would be really lucky if they prepare same kind of pitches against us, but after the humiliation they suffered during their last tour to India I can bet my bottom dollar that greenest of all the mambas are awaiting us.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Harddick is way better than the Fizz. He is the best bowler in the world, period. He is also the best batsman in the world. In fact, there is a rumour floating around that the BCCI is considering Harddick as a one-man Team India to face Australia, England and South Africa on greentops away from home. We will never see a better cricketer in our lifetimes. End of.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^ If failed attempt at humor was a crime this guy above would be serving his time in Guantanamo
Old November 22, 2017, 11:54 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz, Sabbir, Taskin

Quote:
Perfect example of a thread trying to rile up BD fans but gets riled up himself
Old November 22, 2017, 11:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

Kohli thinks so (In good jest, all fun)

Quote:
“Pandya doesn't think before speak. Once he wanted to take Ash's (Ravichandran Ashwin's) name but he ended up saying 'Ravikashyap Ashwin kya bowling karta hai yar'. He is very good at heart but he doesn't have any control over his tongue,” Kohli claimed.

Hardik Pandya Is Now Officially The 'Most Irritating Cricketer' In The Indian Dressing Room
Old November 22, 2017, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
^^^ If failed attempt at humor was a crime this guy above would be serving his time in Guantanamo
Wow. You so clever. And perceptive. NOT.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Is it racist of me that I find the whole concept of a cocky Gujju hilarious? Kem chho! Chevda khao chhe?
Old November 22, 2017, 12:04 PM
Banned for 2 weeks

Old November 22, 2017, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
Wow. You so clever. And perceptive. NOT.
Wow, what a comeback

Lets play fetch a little differently! I’ll throw the stick and you don’t come back
Old November 22, 2017, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

^That Youtube clip proves nothing. Harddick Panda is a better test bowler than Betty Boothroyd.
Closed Thread