facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2017, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Sylhet and Assamese? big NO NO!

Sylhet as an independent country.. highly likely.. if a referendum was held.

However, if assamese are involved in the referendum.. the vote will be a majority no...

Old September 20, 2017, 01:29 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^Biharis are Indians

accha ami sylhet niye kichu lekhlei sylhet hater howe jay. but apnarai dekhun. ami charao toh onekei ei sylther er bhumika niye proshno tuleche, tulche, tulbe. glad to know I am not the only one.
Old September 20, 2017, 01:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Change the title of the thread to 'Shylet as an independent country'.

/s
Old September 20, 2017, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
^Biharis are Indians
They wanted to join Pakistan, hence the term "stranded Pakistanis"
Old September 20, 2017, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
^Biharis are Indians
What did we do ?

I made a light-hearted comment, didn't the devil emoji give it away?
Old September 20, 2017, 01:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
What did we do ?

Should have added: /s

It's what we do on Reddit
Old September 20, 2017, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

BTW SportingBD how do you think an independent Sylhet would do economically considering it will be completely landlocked with no access to the sea and will border hostile Mufis, Yankees and Assamese on all sides ? :
Old September 20, 2017, 01:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
They wanted to join Pakistan, hence the term "stranded Pakistanis"
True, some of the worst atrocities during operation searchlight were committed by them, but no point having grudge against this generation for the crimes committed in the past, if they want to be assimilated with the mainstream they should be allowed to,just my personal opinion.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
BTW SportingBD how do you think an independent Sylhet would do economically considering it will be completely landlocked with no access to the sea and will border hostile Mufis, Yankees and Assamese on all sides ? :
Economically Sylhet will be booming. Foreign investments (mainly from UK) will be HUGE. We have vast natural resources, our region is known for businesses etc, especially real estates. If any region can survive by itself economically, than Sylhet is one of them.

You have to remember one thing. Sylhet here doesn't want to be independent by their own choice, rather the political and economical imbalances towards the Sylheti people is slowly forcing Sylheti into this. We want to remain Bangladeshi forever.

But, I fear sometime in the future, there maybe an uprise from Sylheti people due to the unfair treatment received from the elites in power.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
What did we do ?

it was not directed at you.

on topic, absolutely NOT. joining India or any other country is an insult to freedom fighters and their sacrifices. they fought for an independent secular Bangladesh. and we will remain that.

India (including WB) is proud nation on their own term. why would they just absorb a small piece of land that has 170 million.

ridiculous idea.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I can tell you exactly how this will play out:

-Sylhet proclaims independence from tyrannical Bangladesh.

-"We are with you Sylhet" says Kashmir, Scotland, Catalonia.

-Bangladeshi army invades Sylhet, prompting protests all over East London. Theresa May, distraught from all the protests, brings up issue to the UN.

-UN deploys peacekeeping soldiers to Occupied Sylhet. As Bangladesh is the largest distributor of peacekeeping soldiers to the UN, it becomes a bhai vs bhai standoff.

-Outside political pressure forces Hasina to step down.

-People's Republic of Sylhet is born.

-Sylhet, without any access to sea ports or natural resources, goes into deep famine. Remittance from the UK surprinsingly not enough to sustain a nation.

-Most of its 500,000 inhabitants seek jobs elsewhere, like neighboring Bangladesh.

-"Are there too many illegal Sylhetis in Bangladesh?" claims Prothom Alo.

-"Ironic" claims India.

-""Ironic" claims India" Ironic, claims Canada/UK/US.

-Poster on Sylhet cricket forum posts thread "Should Sylhet join Bangladesh for a better economic future?" Gets blasted as idiotic by the rest.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
it was not directed at you.

on topic, absolutely NOT. joining India or any other country is an insult to freedom fighters and their sacrifices. they fought for an independent secular Bangladesh. and we will remain that.

India (including WB) is proud nation on their own term. why would they just absorb a small piece of land that has 170 million.

ridiculous idea.
I know Mufi da, I was just kidding around

Agreed with you 100% on all the points.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I can tell you exactly how this will play out:

-Sylhet proclaims independence from tyrannical Bangladesh.

-"We are with you Sylhet" says Kashmir, Scotland, Catalonia.

-Bangladeshi army invades Sylhet, prompting protests all over East London. Theresa May, distraught from all the protests, brings up issue to the UN.

-UN deploys peacekeeping soldiers to Occupied Sylhet. As Bangladesh is the largest distributor of peacekeeping soldiers to the UN, it becomes a bhai vs bhai standoff.

-Outside political pressure forces Hasina to step down.

-People's Republic of Sylhet is born.

-Sylhet, without any access to sea ports or natural resources, goes into deep famine. Remittance from the UK surprinsingly not enough to sustain a nation.

-Most of its 500,000 inhabitants seek jobs elsewhere, like neighboring Bangladesh.

-"Are there too many illegal Sylhetis in Bangladesh?" claims Prothom Alo.

-"Ironic" claims India.

-""Ironic" claims India" Ironic, claims Canada/UK/US.

-Poster on Sylhet cricket forum posts thread "Should Sylhet join Bangladesh for a better economic future?" Gets blasted as idiotic by the rest.

On a serious note though, the most important thing for a newly formed country is to get recognition from the rest of the world, I am sure most Bangladeshis still remember fondly what Indira Gandhi did to gain recognition from the world powers for a newborn BD, I don't think Sylhet will find such an ally in India, despite what social media tells you India and BD are on the best of terms and will likely to remain so, I am pretty sure if such a situation arises India will completely side with BD and so is US and Russia, not sure about China though.
Old September 20, 2017, 03:46 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
As a Sylheti.. if I ask myself, genuinely.. if there was a referendum to make Sylhet as a country? what would I vote? yes or no? I have the feeling majority would vote yes, including me.
Too bad you wont be able to change your BC username to SportingSh..Only change to your real name is allowed.

This thread made me sad. People want to join India, some want to create another sovereign country, whats next? Sylheti as national language?. WTH is wrong with us? This is what happens when we get independence within 9 months I guess. People dont value things they get easily. 3 million lives mean jack to them.
Old September 20, 2017, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

This thread gets my seal of BAKWAZ!
Old September 20, 2017, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Too bad you wont be able to change your BC username to SportingSh..Only change to your real name is allowed.

This thread made me sad. People want to join India, some want to create another sovereign country, whats next? Sylheti as national language?. WTH is wrong with us? This is what happens when we get independence within 9 months I guess. People dont value things they get easily. 3 million lives mean jack to them.
Sylhetis are proud Bangladeshis. Like many others, our forefathers fought for the independence of Bangladesh. But it is sad, how Sylhet/Sylheti is seen as something that is not part of Bangladesh, by the Dhaka elites/people. The neglect that Sylhetis face, even to some extent, many in Bangladesh disregarding them as not real Bengalis is sad, and it goes back to the same Dhaka problem. Than you have the economical and political imbalances against the Sylheti people. There are many factors as to why sylhetis may consider voting Yes to a independent country. It's not by choice, rather a forceful surrender to many factors that may lead to this outcome. Show same respect to Sylhet people as all other regions? in the sense of political powers, economical development etc?
Old September 20, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

On a serious note though, the most important thing for a newly formed country is to get recognition from the rest of the world, I am sure most Bangladeshis still remember fondly what Indira Gandhi did to gain recognition from the world powers for a newborn BD, I don't think Sylhet will find such an ally in India, despite what social media tells you India and BD are on the best of terms and will likely to remain so, I am pretty sure if such a situation arises India will completely side with BD and so is US and Russia, not sure about China though.
If India supports Bangladesh, then Pakistan will support Sylhet. Ye Pakistani logic hai
Old September 20, 2017, 04:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Jokes on you, his parents named him MD Mohir Uddin Sporting Sylhet.

Quote:
Not sure why this thread would make you sad, out of all the things to be sad about. SportingBD might seem extreme, but he does bring up some valid points. And not sure why Sylheti gets dismissed as just another dialect. It is considered a separate language by the international community. Denying them that status makes us no different than Pakistan.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:03 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
But it is sad, how Sylhet/Sylheti is seen as something that is not part of Bangladesh, by the Dhaka elites/people. The neglect that Sylhetis face, even to some extent, many in Bangladesh disregarding them as not real Bengalis is sad, and it goes back to the same Dhaka problem. Than you have the economical and political imbalances against the Sylheti people. There are many factors as to why sylhetis may consider voting Yes to a independent country. It's not by choice, rather a forceful surrender to many factors that may lead to this outcome. Show same respect to Sylhet people as all other regions? in the sense of political powers, economical development etc?
2 if not more of our finance ministers were from Sylhet. Many of our MPs are from Sylhet. Many of our government officials are Sylhetis. The economy of Sylhet Division is the third largest in Bangladesh. What are you talking about bro?

If Sylhet were neglected, BD would not spend much on Sylhet cantonment. Take a look at Bangladesh army formation.

Sylhet Area Command, headquartered at Jalalabad Cantonment
17th Infantry Division HQ[3]
17th Artillery Brigade
306th Infantry Brigade
11 Infantry Brigade
52th Infantry Brigade
32nd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
33rd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
18th Field Regiment Artillery
21st Engineers Battalion
91st Field Ambulance Unit
17th Military Police Unit
38th Supply and Transport Battalion
508th Division Ordnance Company(DOC)
598th Field Intelligence Unit(FIU)
8th Signals Battalion
22nd Field Regiment Artillery
61st East Bengal Regiment(EBR)
Ghatail Area Command, headquartered at Shahid Salahuddin Cantonment
19th Infantry Division HQ
19th Artillery Brigade
309th Infantry Brigade
77th Infantry Brigade (Mymensingh Cantonment)
98th Composite Brigade (Jamuna Cantonment)

Sylhet Cantonment is also home of the School of Infantry and Tactics (SI&T) and the 1st Para-commando Battalion, an elite commando unit of the Bangladesh Army. How are we neglecting them again?

And dont get how Dhaka people are mistreating Sylheti people? This argument of Dhaka people dont like sylhetis is just puerile to me. How many people do you actually know that are from Dhaka? Dhaka just like any mega cities in the world is a melting pot. People from all over the country including many sylhetis live in Dhaka. My paternal grandfather is Sylheti and I was born and raised in Dhaka. None of my parents are from Dhaka. Even Mufi jake niye eto kotha sheo Moymonshinghor, Dhaka r na bhai
Old September 20, 2017, 05:12 PM
Cricket Savant

The awkward moment when only sensible post in the entire lot is from Eclipse.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 20, 2017, 05:13 PM
Cricket Savant

I usually do not participate in online fora but I will express my views on this topic.

I am a no one.
I do not follow any religion.
I am not a patriot.
I am not a nationalist and neither am I am not college graduate.
I have zero pennies in my bank account. I do not have a job.
I have no girlfriend and never did.

I have no identity.
I am a faceless person.
Precisely because of this lack of attachment and my stoic life I have balls to be whoever I wanna be.
You wouldn't see me hanging around in Bengali parties, kissing up to people and picking up tissue paper trashes after them or their kids.
I have no friends. You wouldn't see me hanging around in clubs or bars or having a cozy Miller time with jocks watching football.
I like my own status. I was never fond of social media and deactivated them. Simply because Zeeshan Mahmud doesn't go around begging for people's approval and validation.
Yes at one point I had my share of social media profiles. But that is because I lost touch with my essence.
Real Zeeshan Mahmud is not a damn people pleaser.
I ran away from my home at 18 simultaenously dropping out of college and abdicating the religion I was given to live with room mates surviving on my own as a dishwasher.
I live life on my own terms.
So clearly I have no identity crisis as I have no identity.
Who am I then?

I am Spiderman.
First of all, neither religion nor language nor blind patriotism or any other label encapsulates who I am.
I have a tattoo on my left arm that says: "Know Thyself". And I EXACTLY know who I am.
First of all, from non-dualistic point of view, I am nobody. I am nothing. Not nothing. But no-thing. Ineffable.
Then hierarchically down the order...
I am Self.
I am Atman.
I am a Soul.
I am God.
I am Light.
I am Divine Being.
I am a spiritual being in human form.
I am a human being.
I was born in Bangladesh.
And so on and on...down the egoic chain of command.
There will be certain people in this forum who will conflate this with narcissism. What these people fail to realize is everyone has ego. That's right. Even saints have ego. And some nice, kind hearted polite people have what psychologists will call "manipulative ego". Sure they are not proud and haughty and have massive ego in the traditional sense but these people will act nice to get their jobs done. Do Google narcissistic personality disorder.
Even if I were to lose my home, my shelter, my food, my passport and everything that belonged to me tomorrow, I would know in my heart of hearts who I am. No external attachments define me.
As Kierkegaard said: "When you label me, you negate me."
Of course some will interject and point out that I am really not on topic and being bombastic. Exactly that's what I am doing. I am trumpeting how great I am so that all of you can bow down and worship me. :deadpanemoji:
However, having said all these I must point out that I do have values.
I value:
Integrity. Honesty. Loyalty. Self-respect. Mutual respect. Authenticity. Dignity. Friendship. Courage. Pursuit of excellence. Civil liberties for all human beings. Etcetera among other things.
So what I fail to realize, if all you are so chest-thumping patriots, why do you even allow some eponymous "anon" to come to YOUR turf and tell you if you should join their country. As far as myself with no attachment and neutral, I do not care. It doesn't bother me the least bit. But it should bother you. No?
How many times would ICF or PP even allow such drivel to exist? Oh I see. "Free speech and all that." I can respect that. Again, mods swear by the fact that this forum is not democratic. But instead of shutting this damn thread down, why fuel it? I am fuelling it because I am Zeeshan and I can do whatever the f I want.
One of my biggest regret in my career in BC is never to get banned. That means I was just some spineless people pleaser oozing with odious nice guy niceholic syndrome. Secretly I do admire some people in this forum who got banned multiple times. Good. That means they stood up for something they believed in instead of being all goody goody and nice and to bend over their back like Shamim and Athar to please other commentators the least bit they get the signal that a player is showing off bravado. That flag goes up. And this is why Indians never respect us. Cricinfo boasts about their on field accomplishments and we conflate healthy self-esteem with ego and instead become all meek while Indians run us over like deplorable bullies both as commentators and in TV discussion panels and what not. People who has self-esteem problems will point out maybe because we are not good enough? No you idiot. We are not good enough because we do not feel worthy enough. It is cart before the horses. You don't need to succeed to feel worthy, rather the opposite.
We go to colllege. We pen formal letters and fill out forms and check this little boxes. We edit our speech into neat little packages. We make our bosses in office happy and get coffee for them. We edit out purple prose, color and fluff in sacrifice for tehnical and mechanical robotic language in some yawn inducing monographs. In the process, we lose the very thing that makes us who we are: Our SOUL.
Ali didn't become great because he won the battles. Rather he WAS great and that is why he won all the matches.
There was once a study done in psychology. Once a salesman got his foot in the door and asked if he can plant a picket fence on customer X's front lawn. The people who said yes also said yes when these same salesman showed up next week and pitched their sales. I mean this is how people get their foot in the door. This is how the values we cherish gets eroded. This is why - and also mainly due to the fact that world has turned a blind eye- why genocides happen, why 71, Holocaust, Syria, Rohingya, Polpot, Rwanda happens. Not due to this stupid thread, but the fact that slowly and slowly people starts sacrificing their basic human rights.
In French there is a proverb: "Qui vole un oeuf, vole un beuf." One who can steal an egg, can steal a cow.
Point of this rather long winded and my final post being, never ever sacrifice the values, rights, creeds you deeply believe in solely to make other people happy or conversely if it will make you uncomfortable.
Thank you.
Heck now I think this should be its own thread.
[I am a man of my word. I will exit with a bang just like I made entrance into this amazing and beautiful forum.]
All the best guys. For those who ask why I will leave. Well geez man. God doesn't have social media. You also don't see Kobe Bryant, Jason Bourne and James Bond hanging around in virtual online fora bickering if Kayes was in beastmode against Sri Lanka or what not. Anyways, your life is yours mine is mine. It was an amazing journey and thank you for your love, support and blessings.
BC is indeed a great family.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 20, 2017, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
2 if not more of our finance ministers were from Sylhet. Many of our MPs are from Sylhet. Many of our government officials are Sylhetis. The economy of Sylhet Division is the third largest in Bangladesh. What are you talking about bro?

If Sylhet were neglected, BD would not spend much on Sylhet cantonment. Take a look at Bangladesh army formation.

Sylhet Area Command, headquartered at Jalalabad Cantonment
17th Infantry Division HQ[3]
17th Artillery Brigade
306th Infantry Brigade
11 Infantry Brigade
52th Infantry Brigade
32nd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
33rd Bangladesh Infantry Regiment
18th Field Regiment Artillery
21st Engineers Battalion
91st Field Ambulance Unit
17th Military Police Unit
38th Supply and Transport Battalion
508th Division Ordnance Company(DOC)
598th Field Intelligence Unit(FIU)
8th Signals Battalion
22nd Field Regiment Artillery
61st East Bengal Regiment(EBR)
Ghatail Area Command, headquartered at Shahid Salahuddin Cantonment
19th Infantry Division HQ
19th Artillery Brigade
309th Infantry Brigade
77th Infantry Brigade (Mymensingh Cantonment)
98th Composite Brigade (Jamuna Cantonment)

Sylhet Cantonment is also home of the School of Infantry and Tactics (SI&T) and the 1st Para-commando Battalion, an elite commando unit of the Bangladesh Army. How are we neglecting them again?

And dont get how Dhaka people are mistreating Sylheti people? This argument of Dhaka people dont like sylhetis is just puerile to me. How many people do you actually know that are from Dhaka? Dhaka just like any mega cities in the world is a melting pot. People from all over the country including many sylhetis live in Dhaka. My paternal grandfather is Sylheti and I was born and raised in Dhaka. None of my parents are from Dhaka. Even Mufi jake niye eto kotha sheo Moymonshinghor, Dhaka r na bhai
This is from 2009.

Around Tk 11,000 crore, roughly equal to ten percent of the national budget, is lying idle in banks in the Sylhet region, which could be invested in the industrial sector, says a study of International Finance Corporation.

Despite holding all potential for being an export-oriented economic zone with good remittances, geographic position and natural resources, the region is lagging behind for lack proper investment policies, creating frustration among local businessmen.

Lack of cooperation from the banks, non-resident Bangladeshis' apathy for taking risks, high rate of interest, lack of proper knowledge for investment, insufficient electricity supply and bureaucratic tangles are some reasons that stood in the way of investment in the region, said the study.

http://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/business/194642

Just one example of how the government fails to help! There are many others if you search. This was 2009. I haven't seen huge development in Sylhet as of it.. still.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:47 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I wonder how many years the syloti extreme lovers here in this forum actually lived in sylet
Old September 20, 2017, 09:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Why is there enmity between Sylhetis and Dhakites
Old September 20, 2017, 10:30 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
This is from 2009.

Around Tk 11,000 crore, roughly equal to ten percent of the national budget, is lying idle in banks in the Sylhet region, which could be invested in the industrial sector, says a study of International Finance Corporation.

Despite holding all potential for being an export-oriented economic zone with good remittances, geographic position and natural resources, the region is lagging behind for lack proper investment policies, creating frustration among local businessmen.

Lack of cooperation from the banks, non-resident Bangladeshis' apathy for taking risks, high rate of interest, lack of proper knowledge for investment, insufficient electricity supply and bureaucratic tangles are some reasons that stood in the way of investment in the region, said the study.

http://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/business/194642

Just one example of how the government fails to help! There are many others if you search. This was 2009. I haven't seen huge development in Sylhet as of it.. still.
Lol. Pretty soon we will hear that Barisal Rangpur khulna want their own sovereign country because they havent seen huge development either. Heck Dhaka needs to be independent too because the government has failed to improve its drainage system. Dhaka gets flooded in every monsoon season. Jonmo theke dekhe ashchi