facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 22, 2013, 06:59 PM
Club Cricketer

This is stupid. Why not just have 2 group of 6 teams each?

10 full member + 2 associates.

ICC is killing cricket.

Old January 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
Street Cricketer

I fail to see the reason behind this, I thought the whole point was to spread cricket or maybe its to save the higher ranked teams from the blushes.

Poor decision

Also I think you guys are pretty decent in home conditions so you shouldn't have to worry about anything.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

The OP has credibility issues...he claims to be a NRB in Africa or something but thinks BD are worse than Cameroon.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 22, 2013, 10:19 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty
I fail to see the reason behind this, I thought the whole point was to spread cricket or maybe its to save the higher ranked teams from the blushes.

Poor decision

Also I think you guys are pretty decent in home conditions so you shouldn't have to worry about anything.
Ireland and Zimbabwe could give us headache.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

We are the host and we will have to play qualifier?
Without Bangladesh tournament will be a joke............
Old January 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Btw the guy who opened this thread opens negative threads about us.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=37731
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=36831
nice find. he could be this guy
Old January 23, 2013, 03:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar, Klusner
Default The Prelimnary round will be Telecast on TV- Confirmed by Cricket Ireland's Performance Director Richard Holdsworth

Ireland are happy with qualifier tournament

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABA...6/002669.shtml

Cricket Ireland's Performance Director Richard Holdsworth Discusses The Format for the 2014 World T20 with RTE's John Kenny

John Kenny: There was much rejoicing in the world of Associate Cricket when the ICC announced that the 2014 World T20 would feature sixteen teams with six qualifiers from the qualifier in the UAE later this year, joining ten full team members in Bangladesh. But as ever it seems the ICC, it's not as simple as that. The first stage of the T20 will instead see the six qualifiers, which should include Ireland, join Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in a Preliminary Round from which two teams will be joining the remaining full members in the first round proper. Well Cricket Ireland's Performance Director Richard Holdsworth joins me now, good evening to you Richard.

Richard Holdsworth: Good evening John, how are you.

John Kenny: I'm very good. Richard this seems like another qualifying tournament. What on earth is going on?

Richard Holdsworth: Well it certainly does read that way, I must admit. Look I think internally, actually, we haven't got a great problem with it. Whilst it might seem that way on the periphery, as you well know having been out there and broadcasting during the last T20 in Sri Lanka, we unfortunately, because of the nature of that format only had two matches before the Super Eights. We played one against Australia, and unfortunately the second one as rained out. We never had a chance to effectively qualify for the next stage. What are we trying to do as Cricket Ireland? We're trying to play against the full members on a regular basis. And what this new format does do is, if you can get through that next stage, and bearing in mind we beat Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in warm up games in the last tournament, we've beaten Bangladesh last year in a T20 here in Ireland, and the fact there is, is that if we can get through that stage, the next phase will be playing against the top eight full members in World Cricket. And that's what we want to be doing on a regular basis.

John Kenny: So I suppose from this point of view, form what you're saying from that point of view is that you won't have to worry about warm up games then basically when you've qualified, that you basically go straight into another tournament?

Richard Holdsworth: Exactly, and you know you don't come off cold there, you're not still perhaps acclimatising, you're right in the mix there now. We are aspiring to become a full member country, to be on the top table with the big boys. We're further aspiring to one day play test cricket. I think there's an element of we can't have our cake and eat it. We need to be able to play against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. We need to back ourselves to beat them and the other Associate High Performance Countries in that first phase. Those games will be televised, they will be live around the world.

John Kenny: I was going to bring that up, yeah. Actually we'll get a chance to get on TV with this preliminary round qualifier.

Richard Holdsworth: Yeah we've had confirmed by ICC, that those games will be on television. Similarly we will get the same participation fee that we got the last time. And that's something crucial to our further investment in the game, and making sure we've got the players available to be selected for those events. So I think we've got to back ourselves to beat the likes of Scotland, Netherlands, that we've done many a time before, beat Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, because there'll probably be two groups in that first phase. Win those three games, and then we've got a further four games against the Top Eight. Now that's what we're looking at. We want to be playing against those guys, not as we saw in Sri Lanka, to be knocked out after two matches, and we're on the way home having played effectively about sixty odd overs.

John Kenny: Indeed. But you have to qualify a swell. You have to go to the UAE.

Richard Holdsworth: We do of course, and we shouldn't count our chickens too early.

John Kenny: But surely Ireland are good enough to get a top six place?

Richard Holdsworth: Well John we won that event last time around. We played a very competitive match against Afghanistan, we will be going there to win that tournament, not to qualify. But instead of the top two going through, it's the top six. So we're going to have to have a massive slip up and play incredibly poorly, to not qualify. But that's what our aim is. Our aim is to win that tournament, win it convincingly, and then go to Bangladesh with a huge amount of confidence, and progress to the second phase of that.

John Kenny: Going to be a very busy year for Irish Cricket, isn't it?

Richard Holdsworth: There's a lot going on. We've got England in the RSA Challenge in September in Malahide, which is fantastic. We want to be playing those guys regularly. We've just announced yesterday we've got Pakistan for two One Day Internationals, we're not sure where those games will be played yet. And we're in talks with Bangladesh for them to come over here as well, and play hopefully three matches, either ODI's or T20 or a combination.

John Kenny: All right, thanks for joining us Richard. That's Richard Holdsworth there, who is the Performance Director with Cricket Ireland.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

are we doomed already ???
Old January 24, 2013, 06:04 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

^ lol.. :p

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old January 24, 2013, 06:31 AM
Cricket Sage

This is incorrect news although being reported in some credible sites. Firstly, CI hasn't mentioned anything and neither has wikipedia's page on the event. I hardly believe cricket europe would report a story before CI.

Secondly, this is a dangerous game for the host country to have to qualify. NZ, WI aren't far ahead of BD in ODIs - in fact, NZ was behind till very recently. If the same thing happens in T20s they may find themselves fighting over scraps with the Associates. They'd rather keep BD and ZIM in the top 10, than risk themselves being demoted along with the Associates.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 24, 2013, 06:47 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
This is incorrect news although being reported in some credible sites. Firstly, CI hasn't mentioned anything and neither has wikipedia's page on the event. I hardly believe cricket europe would report a story before CI.

Secondly, this is a dangerous game for the host country to have to qualify. NZ, WI aren't far ahead of BD in ODIs - in fact, NZ was behind till very recently. If the same thing happens in T20s they may find themselves fighting over scraps with the Associates. They'd rather keep BD and ZIM in the top 10, than risk themselves being demoted along with the Associates.
T20 rankings can be sometimes bizzare. Australia was ranked below Ireland and us at one point.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
Test Cricketer

হাঃ হাঃ হাঃ! এই নিউজ যদি সত্যি হয় মানে বাংলাদেশকে যদি সত্যিই কোয়ালিফাইং রাউন্ড খেলতে হয়,তাইলে নেক্সট টি টুয়েন্টি বিশ্বকাপ সুপার ফ্লপ হওয়ার সমুহ সম্ভাবনা,কজ দেশের মাটিতে বাংলাদেশকে ছাড়া বিশ্বকাপ দেখবে বাংলাদেশীরা? কাভি নেহি!!! আমার মনে হয়না যে আইসিসি এত বড় ঝুঁকি নেবে!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:31 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

lol if Bangladesh fails to qualify this would be the 1st time host country wont play a WC..Host country has to qualify for a WC?...lol ICC stop Sucking feets of india aus eng
Old January 24, 2013, 08:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Forget the trophy ftb. This will be question of maan-shomman. BD must qualify. We better play more t20s this year to find out our best combo.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:03 AM
Club Cricketer

Now the news has been reported by Cricket Ireland. The same Interview have been posted. Well people having faith in Wikipedia. Even a kid can also edit Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not reliable, but this news has been reported at many places now.
I hope it is not true, but if it is happening then it needs to be reported

http://www.cricketireland.ie/news/ar...world-twenty20
Old January 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
BC Editorial Team

Hoiley hok. We'll win comfortably enough against associates in our home conditions. And then use that match practice to defeat the big six. They can rig the game whatever way they want - we'll still work it!
Old January 25, 2013, 11:51 AM
BC Editorial Team

And I repeat, Scyld Berry is the guy who insisted Pakistan visiting UK is like a home match for them because, get this, you get better curry in Manchester than Lahore. Or words to that effect. After that I knew this guy probably has wet dreams about wearing a readcoat and chopping off the fingers of muslin (the fine silk) craftsman.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
BC Editorial Team

I for one want a qualifying tourney where we smack the Irish team good. Beshi kotha koy.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
I for one want a qualifying tourney where we smack the Irish team good. Beshi kotha koy.
We have the habit of doing unimaginable things in cricket ...don't we..!!
Old January 25, 2013, 01:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Irish forgot the whitewash and recalling the WT20 practice match win! I guess they are appreciating this cause they dont have to face bigger teams and get to knock out cheaply. Instead they are now finding BD & Zimbabwe as easier targets.

Last edited by cricheart; January 25, 2013 at 05:14 PM..
Old January 25, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
We have the habit of doing unimaginable things in cricket ...don't we..!!
Are you implying that Tigers wpuld be the T20 WC champ in 2014 at Dhaka?

Hei, I am in you boat too BANFAN!
Old January 25, 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Hoiley hok. We'll win comfortably enough against associates in our home conditions. And then use that match practice to defeat the big six.
+1

Take that India
Take that Australia
Take that South Africa
Take that England
Take that Pakistan
Take that Sri Lanka

NZ er Wi ei pedani khaichhe, er kichhu koilam na!!!
Old January 26, 2013, 03:51 AM
Club Cricketer

I don't know why some people are so sure that Associates can defeat BD in BD. It is next to impossible. It will not happen
If there is a qualifying tournament or not, BD will be playing with the Top 6 teams

However if it was Europe then it was a thing to be worried about.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashan83
Now the news has been reported by Cricket Ireland. The same Interview have been posted. Well people having faith in Wikipedia. Even a kid can also edit Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not reliable, but this news has been reported at many places now.
I hope it is not true, but if it is happening then it needs to be reported

http://www.cricketireland.ie/news/ar...world-twenty20
http://www.iccworldtwenty20.com/search?q=t20+2014

The Irish have developed a bit of a habit of talking big, so I'm not surprised. They claimed that Bangladesh avoids playing them because of a fear of losing, even though we're one of the few sides to have hosted them for a full ODI series, and visited them for a full T20 series, winning 6-0 in the process.

http://www.iccworldtwenty20.com/search?q=t20+2014

I just searched on the ICC's site and they haven't reported any format changes. They have an article stating who's qualified for the women's 2014 tourney, and they didn't bother to mention a format change involving the host nation of the mens tourney? I find that difficult to believe.

Either its a completely made up story, or the ICC is having behind the scenes discussions on it and it hasn't been confirmed.

Bangladesh has every change of getting knocked out and that would be disastrous for the tournament. I think the ICC knows that.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Is this for real? Host country have to qualify for a WC?
LOL! Someone is not thinking. There is no way Bangladesh is gonnna play qualifying rounds if they are hosting the tournament.. hahhaha.. .who comes up with these ideas?