facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 15, 2005, 03:09 AM
BC Editorial Team

jabbar, perhaps you are not aware of the concept of flogging a deceased equine, but getting into the God wars yet again would be slighly less productive than saying "pongopaal dhuklo, ar ber holo, pongopaal dhuklo, ar ber holo pongopaal dhuklo, ar ber holo .... " ad infinitum

I only bring this up because the last one is not still fresh. Give it a few more months

Old June 15, 2005, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Good opprotunity for me to post another "netiquette" item from my usenet days:

(3) It's always a risk to start a new topic (often called a thread). The group may have just finished a long, bitter war about that very subject. But if you want to take the risk, SAY SOMETHING yourself about the subject you're raising.

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 8:26 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: No spelling Nazis please
Old June 15, 2005, 07:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by couger
Any particular reason why being surrounded by MALE servants and not the fairer kind should make you feel so good?
Edited on, June 15, 2005, 12:17 AM GMT, by couger.
Other than you eliciting my ire and happening to be male, no particular reason. Notice that I have given you all the boring chores. What I might do with my female servants to make myself feel good in the meantime...I'll leave it for you to imagine.
Old June 15, 2005, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
Arnab, your arguments against mine are baseless, as they are merely assertions of your delusional intellectual superiority over everyone else's.
Jabbar, I didn't present any arguments refuting yours, as I don't recall you presenting any in the first place.

But if we were to have a decently elaborate debate, and if I were willing to put the effort, I would have shredded your arguments to pieces 99.99% of the time. People I have argued against before, on this very topic, have not only accepted defeat, they did so with bitterness and hatred against me. They have frequently mentioned, after their defeat, that I was "too smart for my own good" and excessively ruthless in my style, that my words not only proved them wrong, but hurt them so deeply that they felt like they were clutching at the straws before inevitably drowning in a towering deluge. Some of them sometimes go into denial, and start spouting personal attacks to quench their bruised ego, and in the process accept an even bigger defeat.

So don't attempt that.

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 12:38 PM GMT, by Arnab.
Old June 15, 2005, 12:56 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
But if we were to have a decently elaborate debate, and if I were willing to put the effort, I would have shredded your arguments to pieces 99.99% of the time. People I have argued against before, on this very topic, have not only accepted defeat, they did so with bitterness and hatred against me. They have frequently mentioned, after their defeat, that I was "too smart for my own good" and excessively ruthless in my style, that my words not only proved them wrong, but hurt them so deeply that they felt like they were clutching at the straws before inevitably drowning in a towering deluge. Some of them sometimes go into denial, and start spouting personal attacks to quench their bruised ego, and in the process accept an even bigger defeat.
The Monolith (AC Clarke) ain't got a thing on this moumental ego BTW "towering deluge" - isn't that a Biblical allusion?
Old June 15, 2005, 09:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
BTW "towering deluge" - isn't that a Biblical allusion?
Could be...in terms of usage of literary allusions, the Bible is probably unparallelled in English Lit.

Gotta use your metaphors while you can. They are probably the most powerful class of all figures of speech. All the holy texts make awesome use of them all the time.
Old June 15, 2005, 09:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Is it just me or this thread should have a "nerds only" caption.
Old June 15, 2005, 10:51 PM
BC Editorial Team

we prefer "atel"
Old June 15, 2005, 11:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
Arnab, your arguments against mine are baseless, as they are merely assertions of your delusional intellectual superiority over everyone else's.
Jabbar, I didn't present any arguments refuting yours, as I don't recall you presenting any in the first place.

So don't attempt that.

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 12:38 PM GMT, by Arnab.
Arnab, re-asserting your intellectual superiority (though delusional and unimpressive) does not intimidate me. Also, unlike others that you claim to have "shredded", I won't "drown" under a "towering deluge"

I suspect that you derive a sick sense of entertainment by "stirring the pot", and that you also get an ego-boosting kick by boasting about how smart you are and what not. If this is the case, which I am guessing is 99.99% chance to be the truth (), then you are very sad, my friend.

My argument, if you already have forgotten, is that your view of religion is wrong, and you believe that followers practice it with mindless mantra. However, I will take the suggestion offered by razabq and cease further argument from now on. When you post another derogatory comment about Islam, or religion in general, I will take up your challenge, despite your recommendation I should not "attempt" to. I'll be waiting...

Old June 15, 2005, 11:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Arnab;

I realize you are being prodded, provoked and baited. But, once that is fait accompli, your sure take the bait, hook, line and sinker.

Doc's dad on Third Watch (mindless TV series: I'm sure a man of your non-pariel intellectual pedigree wouldn't watch it) had a plaque hanging above his writing desk: Illegitimi non carborundum

Cheers
Old June 15, 2005, 11:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Orre bap!! eita abar ki bhasha?? Ei legitimate thread e Illegitimate keno mention hocche??? Gali dilo naki? Bola tough.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Good one there reina...

"Illegitimi non carborundum" - is pseudo latin for "Don't let the ba$%##ds grind you down". A classic phrase said to have coined by the brit intel during WWII. It survives well today because of the degree of anti-intellectualism that pervades society.

Just as a hint:carborandum - hardest substance, illegetimi - you can guess..

My wife tells me from her Harvard days that this phrase has made it into a song that the band plays during football games.

Need to look it up.

Down with the hoi polloi.

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 5:05 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:15 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Quote:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Orre bap!! eita abar ki bhasha?? Ei legitimate thread e Illegitimate keno mention hocche??? Gali dilo naki? Bola tough.
Quote:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
"Don't let the bastards grind you down"

According to Safire's New Political Dictionary, this is "a pseudo-Latin phrase meaning 'don't let the bastards grind you down'. Small signs and plaques carrying this message have appeared in U.S. business offices and army posts for at least a generation, since General "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell used it as his motto in World War II. Carborundum is a trademark for silicon carbide, a leading commercial grinding substance...In politics, the motto was popularized by 1964 Republican nominee Senator Barry Goldwater, who hung the sign in his office." (--from Safire's New Political Dictionary, p. 353)

Source: Safire, William Safire's New Political Dictionary : The Definitive Guide to the New Language of Politics Random House, New York, 1993. (R 320.03 Sa1)
Reina, 3rd Watch???? Next you'll go on about American Idol or one of those bachelorette or whatever shows

Also, I'd beg to differ on the baitor vs. baitee roles. The existing threads will show Arnab gives as good as he gets - and so it should be!

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 5:18 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Jabbar, stop posting worthless posts. You are not well-equipped to be a pro-religion warrior. You need to improve vastly or, more effectively, find someone else worthy to challenge me.

Here's some advice: Study the basics of philosophy. Study Logic. Study the various forms of fallacies. Study how to hold an intellectual and rational discussion. Study the famous debates between theists and atheists, ancient and modern. Study the various forms of rhetoric and the ways to separate them from actual content. Study the famous tomes written by theists and atheists to support their respective positions. Study comparative religion. Study evolutionary sociobiology. Study sociology. Study anthropology. Study the history, evolution and philosophy of religion. Study the relationship between science and religion. Study Ethics. Study moral philosophy.

There are plenty of books, on the order of hundreds, on Amazon or in your local library on these very topics.

Once you have studied, thoroughly understood and internalized the distilled version of these primers, then come back.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Carborundum is a trademark for silicon carbide, a leading commercial grinding substance...
Believe it or not but Carbon came up in my mind when I saw that word. But I thought Reina was just playing with us learning a new language and all. Damn crazy girls.

Learning something from BC. So reina how can I write like you? I need to learn how to write like you precisely within 2 months. Is it possible? COme on some secrets....
Old June 16, 2005, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Quote:
Carborundum is a trademark for silicon carbide, a leading commercial grinding substance...
So reina how can I write like you? I need to learn how to write like you precisely within 2 months. Is it possible? COme on some secrets....
If you can't, go the Spelling Nazi route. Reina left you some room there
Old June 16, 2005, 12:36 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Here's some advice: Study the basics of philosophy. Study Logic. Study the various forms of fallacies. Study how to hold an intellectual and rational discussion. Study the famous debates between theists and atheists, ancient and modern. Study the various forms of rhetoric and the ways to separate them from actual content. Study the famous tomes written by theists and atheists to support their respective positions. Study comparative religion. Study evolutionary sociobiology. Study sociology. Study anthropology. Study the history, evolution and philosophy of religion. Study the relationship between science and religion. Study Ethics. Study moral philosophy.
Don't bother Jabbar. It will take you a couple of lifetimes. Arnab, ofcourse, took less than a week
Old June 16, 2005, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

I'd like to see a new thread between Arnab and dawah.tabligh. Topics will be preselected by moderators, and only one can be religious in nature. Increasingly difficult constraints will be placed on the contestants. The battle will be over 5 rounds.

The loser will never post on BC again.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
I'd like to see a new thread between Arnab and dawah.tabligh. Topics will be preselected by moderators, and only one can be religious in nature. Increasingly difficult constraints will be placed on the contestants. The battle will be over 5 rounds.

I suggest "boxers v briefs" - the acute polemics of the intellectual debate surrounding this controversial topic can be part of the BC hall of fame.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Zunaid, that's a timely observation. Arnab, I am considering a more permanent switch from briefs to boxers, and would appreciate a philosophical and objective analysis of such a move, I think your thoughts on this matter may help me make the right choices in life (at least as far as this issue goes). Thanks in advance and waiting in constricted anticipation...
Old June 16, 2005, 01:17 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Thanks in advance and waiting in constricted anticipation...
LMAO - just woke up the baby with my guffaw Rafiq bhai you are priceless!
Old June 16, 2005, 01:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Well, young dawah bhai is a pious muslim and can argue succintly in favour of his religion. Arnab, being the militant atheist can engage in a more general faith vs. reason debate. It is not an "apple to apple" comparison. Unless of course Arnab is also well versed in the endless tenets of Islam in order to be able to debunk them.
Old June 16, 2005, 01:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Arnab, I am considering a more permanent switch from briefs to boxers, and would appreciate a philosophical and objective analysis of such a move, I think your thoughts on this matter may help me make the right choices in life (at least as far as this issue goes). Thanks in advance and waiting in constricted anticipation...
I would suggest lungi.

Face it, you are about to become an old hag. You are not attracting any nubile female with your package. So even if you let it all hang out, nobody's going to bother. On the plus side, you will get the much needed air circulation that your loin craved for during all these claustrophobic years. Besides, as you encroach the period of your life when you are inevitably going to lose control of your bladder and rectal muscles, the lungi gives you supreme advantage over the hassle of pulling pesky pieces garments down your legs as you rush towards the toilet during the middle of a normal conversation. I would say it's a philosophically sound decision.
Old June 16, 2005, 01:51 AM
BC Editorial Team

hmm why stop there? digambar is the way to go perhaps? whistle the beatle's "free as a bird" if you like
Old June 16, 2005, 02:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
hmm why stop there? digambar is the way to go perhaps? whistle the beatle's "free as a bird" if you like
Of course. But that comes much later. It's the cycle of life. You come to this world out of your mother's womb stark naked. And maybe that's how you should leave the world as well.