facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 25, 2005, 01:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
[

Does my British wife becomes a Bangali if she start speaking Bangla?

Edited on, June 24, 2005, 8:56 PM GMT, by dawah.tabligh.

Is that a hypothetical question? ...or is your wife British? I am really curious, since you said you feel sorry for my Bangladeshi wife because I am not a Muslim?%^&

Old June 25, 2005, 01:29 PM
Test Cricketer

dawah tabligh: reference to above post:

That is if you are not ignoring my posts, as you stated you would earlier? Are you still scared of constructive dialogue with me?
Old June 25, 2005, 01:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Logen
It is BENGALI not BANGALI.

This is interesting. So Bengali is the people of Bengal, and Bangali is the language of Bangla?

...and if that's the case, what is the difference between Bangladesh and Bengladesh? ...or is that just a spelling error?
Old June 25, 2005, 01:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by reinausagi
Quote:
Do I qualify after a few years and citizenship as Bengali? or Bengladeshi? or do my kids? or do there kids? also, I'm white. could my kids, whom are born there be Bengali? .....just curious.....wanted to expand this conversation, since immigration is also an issue.
I knew it! I knew some day, some 'white-guy' would marry a deshi girl to get Bangladeshi citozenship!

If the kids are born in Bengal province, they are Indian. If they are born in Bangladesh, they are Bangladeshi. As for your chances of naturalization, lets see how you do with tau, thau, daw, dhaw, ung-wa.

This is an informative but very funny thread.
Old June 27, 2005, 08:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Logen
It is BENGALI not BANGALI.

This is interesting. So Bengali is the people of Bengal, and Bangali is the language of Bangla?

...and if that's the case, what is the difference between Bangladesh and Bengladesh? ...or is that just a spelling error?
[/quote]

Thats just a spelling error.
People from bangladesh called Bengali or Bangladeshi. Both are right. Bengali is the correct English word for Bangla which is the offcial language of Bangladesh. Also who ever speaks Bengali can be called as Bengali as well.
If were to write the word Bengali in Bengali language as of meaning the language of Bangladesh, you would write it as "Bangla". And if you were to write the word Bengali in Bengali as of meaning the people of Bangadesh, you would write it as "Bangladeshi".
People of Bangladesh = Bengali or Bangladeshi
Language of Bangladesh = Bengali

If anyone see anything wrong about what I wrote. Please! I like to know. Cheers.

Reason for editting: Wrong formation.

Edited on, June 27, 2005, 1:09 PM GMT, by Logen.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am a Bangali. 'Bangaal' to be precise.

BTW, 'Bangladeshi' is a very superficial identity - only good for passports and forms. You can be a Bangladeshi one day and an American or a Canadian the next. The same goes for the religion based identities - you can be a Muslim now and be a Christian or Buddhist tomorrow. But once you are a Bangali, you are always a Bangali.
Old June 27, 2005, 03:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the word "bengali" is an english word for the language "bangla". There is no word in bangla language as "bengali".

The word "bangali" is used to refer to the native people who are from the region Bengal - West Bengal and Bangladesh (formerly known as East Pakistan, and before than East Bengal). So a "bangali" can be from India and Bangladesh. People from Bengal are known as Bangali, similarly people from Gujrat as Gujrati, from Punjab Punjabis (Punjabis can be both Indians and Pakistanis too, since Punjab is in both the countries).
Old June 27, 2005, 04:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
If I have to be specific, I know I don't have to, I'd call myself Bengali Bangladeshi.

When a group of people share common grounds in terms of language and / or racial and cultural heritage (few more factors as well) irrespective of national boundaries, they are said to be from same ethnicity.

On the other hand, geographic boundary is the single most defining factor of Nationality.

Now, it is probably not a good idea to ask anyone if s/he is Bengali or Bangladeshi simply because both terms are not mutually exclusive. And of course both terms denote different meanings.

Since the language is also called Bengali, apart from being called Bangla, it just add confusion to the complexity.
The citizens of Bangladesh are known as Bangladeshi.
Similarly, the citizens of India are Indians while the citizens of Pakistan are Pakistanis.

Bangladesh is native to many ethnic origin like Bengalis (aka Bangalees), Biharis, Chakmas, Garos, etc.
Similarly, in India, you will see Bengalis in West Bengal, Biharis in Bihar, Telugus in Hyderabad, Tamils in Chennai, Punjabis in Punjab, etc.
Similarly, in Pakistan, you will see Punjabis in Punjab, Baloochis in Baloochistan, etc.
Similarly, in Middle East, we have Arabs in many countries.

On a religion basis, we have Muslims, Hindus, Christians as well as Buddhists in Bangladesh.
Similarly, in Palestine, a Palestinian could be a Muslim, a Christian or even a Jew.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:17 PM
Club Cricketer

"bengali" is used in English for both "bangla" and "bangali".
Old June 28, 2005, 12:45 AM
Test Cricketer

dawah.tabligh bhai.....i respect you point of view, but sometimes your polls and threads are really unique...

unique in the sense that they are confusing, but above all highly irrelevant....

"are you a bangladeshi or bengali??" now what kind of question is that??

i am both.....bangali in the sense that i belong to a particular group of people who have a common language, cultural practises.....

i am bangladeshi in the sense that i belong to a country called bangladesh, and a little green book i have called a passport says that my nationality is bangladeshi....

however, at the same time i am a bangladeshi muslim because i live in a country called bangladesh....and my religion is islam...so that makes me a bangladeshi muslim...

also, i am a bengali muslim because i belong to a particular group of people called bengali and at the same time i am a muslim.....

now if you ask me "are you muslim or bengali"?? thats a tough question....yeah...i am a muslim for sure...but i am also bengali or bangladeshi (whichever is right for you)....cant help it....Allah put me in this country, i didnt choose bangladesh b4 i was born...

but anyway dont get offended by the post.....
Old June 28, 2005, 12:47 AM
Test Cricketer

its a bit like asking...

are you a saudi arabian or arab??

are you a serbian or yougoslavian??

are you a russian or soviet??

are you a english or british???

totally irrelevant....!!:bald::bald::bald:
Old June 28, 2005, 01:32 AM
Cricket Legend

As asinine polls go on this board, this one actually serves a purpose. I don't know whether it is a well meaning young person trying to discover who he is or a not-very-well camouflaged attempt to define everyone as 'Bangladeshi Muslim' - or better yet just 'Muslim' - and de-emphasize "Bangali". The hodge podge of explanations here also leave one scratching one's head as to where exactly did everyone fall off the train and get so confused? And where are those Bangali Muslim Bangladeshi parents - what is their role in telling their children who the f$%& they are?
Old June 28, 2005, 03:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Well, I for one find this very informative. And if I were to hazzard a guess, I'd say it is a 16 year old male trying to find his identity (dawah.tabligh) that is, considering he's growing up in the United States and probably has competing, opposing and conflicting ideologies coming to him from all angles growing up in the US. Perhaps, he (or maybe she, whom knows), can let the cat out of the bag?
Old June 28, 2005, 07:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by say

BTW, 'Bangladeshi' is a very superficial identity - only good for passports and forms. You can be a Bangladeshi one day and an American or a Canadian the next. The same goes for the religion based identities - you can be a Muslim now and be a Christian or Buddhist tomorrow. But once you are a Bangali, you are always a Bangali.
Why makes you think that all bangali think alike and do alike and speak alike? Are you sure you can't change your "bangaliness" as much as you can change your nationality or religion? Isn't that change happening already to bangalees and their progenies in foreign lands?
Old June 28, 2005, 03:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by BanglaCool
Quote:
Originally posted by say

Why makes you think that all bangali think alike and do alike and speak alike? Are you sure you can't change your "bangaliness" as much as you can change your nationality or religion? Isn't that change happening already to bangalees and their progenies in foreign lands?

So my kids and I could become Bengali if we moved there? Cool......!!!