facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Job(s) you wouldn’t do, if you were in Bangladesh

As a boy/man from middleclass family, fortunately or unfortunately I almost never had to pour a glass of water by myself.

Now I am in front of enormous sink, filled with pots and pans and trays, none of them are visible through opaque liquid they were soaked in.
The smell only comparable to …. nothing worse, I had ever experienced. My stomach almost came out inside out through my mouth.

I survived that night. And many nights after that.

Old January 30, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger
So does everyone, everywhere ... just stay focused and do whatever you need to do, I did that too.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Been there done that. Try to enjoy what you do and you'll be fine bro..
Old January 31, 2012, 01:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Join a dishwasher union yo.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As a boy/man from middleclass family, fortunately or unfortunately I almost never had to pour a glass of water by myself.

Now I am in front of enormous sink, filled with pots and pans and trays, none of them are visible through opaque liquid they were soaked in.
The smell only comparable to …. nothing worse, I had ever experienced. My stomach almost came out inside out through my mouth.

A very sexist ideology that is prevelant in our country (including my own family)!!! I hope this trend stops and hope when your time comes, you dont spoil your son like that!!!
Old January 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:

We all did that. Some of us did even worse. I had not for once ever thought about quitting cause I had one firm goal. Get through college first. Make your priority straight. It becomes easier.
++++
As for jobs that I would not do in BD:
1. Policeman/Officer.
2. Prison guard.
3. Full-time driver.
4. Anything physically challenged (at this age, it is burdensome). Eit bhangga thekey suru koirey jogali, mati kata (din mojur) etc.
5. Cleaning up drains/nordoma etc.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
Club Cricketer

Well, I opened the thread thinking, people will share their fascinating or not so fascinating experiences. I also thought some posts will be really making us laugh/smile.

Looks like, it is turning out to be an ‘advice thread’
Old January 31, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Well, I opened the thread thinking, people will share their fascinating or not so fascinating experiences. I also thought some posts will be really making us laugh/smile.

Looks like, it is turning out to be an ‘advice thread’
You should have cleared that in your OP.

By reading your post, any normal people would feel that you are mentally down and would like to cheer you up giving some advices. Nothing wrong with that too.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

there is no job in the world that i wouldnt do if the price is right regardless of location - bd, us or djibouti. and if there is a job that i wouldnt do, i wouldnt do it anywhere. but i cant think of any job that i wouldnt though (legal jobs)
Old February 5, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I hate it when I see someone else is pouring a glass of water for someone else as long as they able. Probably only happens in the sub continent.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
I hate it when I see someone else is pouring a glass of water for someone else as long as they able. Probably only happens in the sub continent.
Not just in subcontinent, in Asia its a gesture of hospitality and sometime respect, not an obligation and I like it.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Any1 who gives his best

Now a days it is very hard to get govt jobs without giving bribes. i have personally seen people giving huge amount of bribes after being selected in written and before viva and getting jobs. however they dont feel shame and say its legal and part of getting govt job. i feel even if you earn your whole life without illegal means will it be halal because you get the job through haram means. Confused

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Papertiger bhai, this is a very good thread, I will tell you a story...when I came to the U.S. at the age of 18 as an art college student about 22-23 years ago, I was very hungry and very very poor. I worked at a Burger King on Abercorn Street in Savannah, Georgia. I worked there for about 3 weeks and eventually I moved on to a ma and pa pizza place on Tybee Island (Savannah vicinity)on the southeastern coast of Georgia, about 250 miles south of Atlanta.

At the Burger King, I remember I was the only foreign kid, along with two white girls and about 12 black kids (boys and girls) ....I soon realized where I belong, and who I am financially...the whites, blacks and I, we were all poor. I took the bus to work everyday as they did or their mom would drop them off....they were mostly high school students and I was attending college...at that time, m,y early days in the U.S. I had limitation with my understanding of English language (let it be, coloqual (spell) tongue, deep southern accent, ethnic accent etc.) .....the manager often couldn't give me the cash register as I often failed to take the right order or underestand what the people really wanted. So it was my job to clean the men's toilet while one of the girls cleaned the women's. I wasn't sad to to say, but I didn't my parents to know this as this probably would have made them feel some kind of pain....as I said, I eventually worked making Pizza for an Old, very fat and very kind/sweet/motherly Italian lady on the island and eventually I worked for her brother who was a shrimper/clam/mussles farmer...I cleaned fishes' inerds (spell) for him and I didn't really eat the fish unless just shell-fish. I enjoyed doing it a lot more than those Burger King weeks.

Like many of our elder/older brothers and sisters here in BC said, I stayed focus on a mission to get through each year of my 6 years long painful architecture education...I put my nose on the grind stone and I said to myself, even if I never become an architect, I must at least earn my bachelor's dgree in architecture....and I somehow survived through.

Years/decade later when I moved to New Orleans, Louisiana to go to graduate architecture school, I eventually met my then future-wife from Nashville, Tennessee who was then a master's student in Antrhopology/Public History - social science. We fell in love and I learned about her life, her parents' lives, theri early lives in the 70's and 80's. My wife's parents struggled to raise their two children (my wife and her 1.5 yrs younger brother) with their limited education and very limited means, earnings...my father in-law had a very small business and mother in-law just had a high school (12 grade grad...equivilant to an Intermediate/HSC of our country) diploma and she worked very very hard in factories, 14 hours a day in Humid/hot no fan(froget A/C) Tennessee weather and and then she went home took shower and went to take care of this obnoxious (spell) neighbour's kid for a few extra dollars so that they (my in-laws) can put their daughter (my wife) through classical music lesson and buy her instruments which were unbelievably expansive (Oboe and Clarinet//Brass and Wood instruments) during her high school years ...eventually my wife got her a Phd and she is a faculty in anthropolgy in NYC today but she/I remember what her and my parents did for us.

To bring some happy ending to all this, I also should tell you my Nashville parents eventyually came to Dhaka to meet my parents and I took them to my ancestorial grounds of Kharampur/Brahmanbaria/Comilla and Moynamoti...and they showed their respect for my ancestors as I/my parents did theirs/ours for my momma/dad (in -laws ) root/birthplace/larger familys in the rural deep south. My mother-in law eventually rode a rickshaw with my father in-law and my abba as her passengers while the half of our village clapped, laughed and applause!

Life is a struggle and you do your struggle bros and sis, and always always keep your mind focused on the job, the task on hand! Inshallah you will succeed. Hang in there bro!!

P.S. My wife gave me permission to write these things here about her family.
Old February 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
Cricket Legend

^ BK da, thanks so much for sharing, and your wife as well. I loved the read, and my hats off to you brother. Very heartfelt read without any sense of pain from your part. What a wonderful writing. Thanks brother - wish you all the best and a kind, nurturing present and future.
Old February 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

There is no dishonor in Labor as long as it's halal! a pious poor Rickshawala is far more deserving of paradise in GOD's eyes than a shudkhor businessman who is superrich!

BK bro thanks for the story
Old February 20, 2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Any1 who gives his best

Bk bhai it is nice to read such inspiring story from you. It seems your perseverance at those times really helped you to come along. Please keep us in your prayer so that we all can be successful like you throuhg our devotion and hard work.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

BK southerner? I'd be daaamed!! LSU graduate? R u kiddin me?

Savannah, Georgia? Wow!! Small world? Been there couple of times. Nice old town. I just didn't like the merchant ships spilling oils on the coast (beaches).

Nice story - loved reading it.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

In Dhaka I have never worked. Internship I did, but work, not.

As student, I have worked in clothing store 16 hours a week. I enjoyed it.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
BK southerner? I'd be daaamed!! LSU graduate? R u kiddin me?
Savannah, Georgia? Wow!! Small world? Been there couple of times. Nice old town. I just didn't like the merchant ships spilling oils on the coast (beaches).
Nice story - loved reading it.
Mijan Dada bhai, I am sorry to respond to this so late, I was out and my wife always doing bhanor bhanor/kan kan regarding BC and my silly FTP game...she even threatened me to leave and said I can move in with my BC brothers when she leaves me.....

My wife is a southerner. I did not go to LSU, Baton Rouge (that's where the LSU architecture school is)...I went to Tulane in New Orleans for graduate architecture and that's when I met my wife. I went to the Savannnah College of Art and Design for my undergrad in architecture/fine art...now at this age of 41, when I lost one of my last fulltime jobs in 2008 I took a big student loan and went back to school again, now I am on my last semester in the MS program in Columbia in Landscape Design...Inshallah I will take another graduate loan and will go Harvard GSD or U.Penn for a master in Landscape Architecture even if I am 45 then...Dadabhai, you know my wife and I, we do not have any human children, all we have are our books and our old sick, ailing but loving cats and rabbits, she supports me tremendously so I can do these, I am also lucky not to have done anything for my family and my greater family in Dhaka and Brahmanbaira, thus I can do these instead.....I am not writing all these never ever to brag about myself to my dear BC bros and sis, it is very very imprtante that I do write all these and share my journey with the young minds, my brothers and sisters all over to show that there is hope after evcery dark night and I want to tell them where I came from and what is possible! I think I must do that (share my stories, my ups and downs) actually.

Last edited by bujhee kom; March 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM..
Old March 7, 2012, 12:42 PM
Administrator

You are a good man BK. I met my wife while she was at Nashville. She was an ABD at Vanderbilt and a true Southerner from East Texas with a Harvard Masters. I visited Nahville many times while we were dating. When was this? We may have driven by each other. This was in 1994-1996.
Old March 7, 2012, 03:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Thank you my dear Zayeed mama, Rifat, Boomerang bhaiya and Dr. Zed. Salaam!

Dr. Zed, my wife is from Nashville....I got to know her when I was in Tulane, at the end part, in 1998.
Old March 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I wouldn't work in a begging company, other than that I don't find anything that I wouldn't do. Well there are jobs that I couldn't do.

BK's story is the story of every Bangladeshi unless you were born with a golden spoon in a rich family (Which was very limited in 60s and 70s) or you have been extremely lucky in life to have received more than the ability/capacity. I was lucky and I'm being lucky till today... So I like to thank Allah for being so kind with me. I always got more than what I expected or deserved.Alhamdulillah.
Old March 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Bk bhai's story is really inspiring. My respect for him just increased many folds by reading the post. As he said, it is important for the young minds to read and learn from these experiences. For who dares to dream, truly, the sky is the limit.
Old March 8, 2012, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

damn all u lucky or hardworking peepz.

i am a lazy unlucky guy and i met my wife at a massage parlour. she married me as a punishmemt cuz i didnf tip her. so she gave me unhappy ending with a marriage certificate.

now i cant even file my tax without
her. thats a bullcrap law.. i dnt wanna file my taxes with her.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

That's an impressive story BK bhai.

Equally impressive uDumb!