facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Baack-co-ler maitta koliga Dangor hoe.

Yes its great to be brave. but the on-the-field brains not only need to be bravehearts but also need to use their brains. Every bowlers may not be suited for every condition/game situation, when one great bowler continue to fail repeatedly in certain situations, may be it is wise to look for alternatives. Also not using all the resources when leading bowlers are bleeding runs may not also be a good on-field decision, regardless who makes the decision, whether one person of a group decision.
This assumes you have a better option bowler to turn to at that time

Old November 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This assumes you have a better option bowler to turn to at that time
Yes. Completely agree.

An insider's persepctive and an outsider's perspective(fans) of "better option" may derive different answer. We (the fans) cannot pretend that we know more inside information than an insider; so our comments are solely based on what we have seen in the past in different games.

When we see Zia is being selected and mominul have been used successfully in past games, and not used in 3rd ODI where all the leading bowlers bleeded runs, the question about the proper utilization of the avaialble resources will alsways be raised. Whether its fair to Mushfiq or not. thats is a very valid question to raise by the fans.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Yes. Completely agree.

An insider's persepctive and an outsider's perspective(fans) of "better option" may derive different answer. We (the fans) cannot pretend that we know more inside information than an insider; so our comments are solely based on what we have seen in the past in different games.

When we see Zia is being selected and mominul have been used successfully in past games, and not used in 3rd ODI where all the leading bowlers bleeded runs, the question about the proper utilization of the avaialble resources will alsways be raised. Whether its fair to Mushfiq or not. thats is a very valid question to raise by the fans.

Wonderfully said Fazal bhai.

Mushy is the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced - in regards to man-management, politeness, trust-worthy and so on...BUT his some of the on-field decisions are pre thought out and not based on the match situation.
He needs to be a bit more creative in his thinking...IMHO.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush

Wonderfully said Fazal bhai.

Mushy is the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced - in regards to man-management, politeness, trust-worthy and so on...BUT his some of the on-field decisions are pre thought out and not based on the match situation.
He needs to be a bit more creative in his thinking...IMHO.
Sometimes being captain can be like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic - there is only so much you can do and often it makes only a slight difference./

I don't feel Mushy has made any complete howlers but clearly he can always improve.

Sometimes though, selection leaves a HUGE amount to be desired. So questioning the selectors might be more prudent than anything else.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Sometimes being captain can be like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic - there is only so much you can do and often it makes only a slight difference./

I don't feel Mushy has made any complete howlers but clearly he can always improve.

Sometimes though, selection leaves a HUGE amount to be desired. So questioning the selectors might be more prudent than anything else.
Ian, completely agree with you here.

In fact, in most of the cases, our selectors leave not much options for the captain to work with.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

I'm just a bit out of loop here, but from what I have seen in the ODI's and tests, Mushfiq wasn't that bad. I have never captained a cricket team, but managing an office has taught me that the best way to lead is to allow everybody to do their thing as unobtrusively as possible. Mushfiq, so far, hasn't asked any square pegs to sit in any circular holes.

Being creative is highly overrated. Clarke's so called creativity didn't stop Aussies from getting thrashed in England, and the unimaginative captaincy of Cook didn't stand in England's way of thrashing the Aussies. Also, since we don't have any full-tilt Divas (like Watson or KP) in our team, we can probably succeed without having Mike Brearly for a captain.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:44 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:

Ian, I am not asking Mushy to be Mike Brearley or Richie Benaud. However, given how Mash or Shahadat has bowled in death overs in recent years, I would call using them howlers. (Shahadat was the main reason we lost to PAK in the Asia Cup Final, but Mushy used him in death overs again in SL.

Having said that, I agree that team selection frequently hamstrings a captain.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
I'm just a bit out of loop here, but from what I have seen in the ODI's and tests, Mushfiq wasn't that bad. I have never captained a cricket team, but managing an office has taught me that the best way to lead is to allow everybody to do their thing as unobtrusively as possible. Mushfiq, so far, hasn't asked any square pegs to sit in any circular holes.

Being creative is highly overrated. Clarke's so called creativity didn't stop Aussies from getting thrashed in England, and the unimaginative captaincy of Cook didn't stand in England's way of thrashing the Aussies. Also, since we don't have any full-tilt Divas (like Watson or KP) in our team, we can probably succeed without having Mike Brearly for a captain.
Good captaincy has won many matches, so I would not be too quick to diss it. (I don't have time, but please read about the 3rd test that Don Bradman captained to see smart captaincy in action.) However, if your team stinks, there is only so much you can do.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Good captaincy has won many matches, so I would not be too quick to diss it. (I don't have time, but please read about the 3rd test that Don Bradman captained to see smart captaincy in action.) However, if your team stinks, there is only so much you can do.
I won't even think about disrespecting good-smart captaincy. However, trying too many things can easily backfire. Mushfiq has a lot of room for improvement, but his captaincy doesn't need to be ridiculed yet.

Regarding bowling Mashrafe and Shahadat at the death, if you remember both time our spinners were getting hammered big time. Like in the last ODI, Gazi and Razzak were leaking runs like faucets, so the captain understandably called upon his (only) two pacers. Mashrafe happened to be one of them. If you recall, Rubel bowled pretty decently at the death. The alternative is to ask a part timer (like mominul) to do what a regular spinner failed to do. So I don't think Mushfiq had much of a choice.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Mushy's captaincy in ODI has been better than Test.... and i am not just talkingbased on result only. In ODI he is more dynamic with his bowling changes and his fielding setup is fairly good. He should sit down and watch some test highlights of teams like Pakistan, Sri Lanka and how the captains handle a spin based bowling attack and how the fielding setup is for various scenarios.

Last edited by Rinathq; November 4, 2013 at 05:26 PM..
Old November 4, 2013, 05:14 PM
BC Editorial Team

Great point Rinat. I also think Mushy is a more proactive captain in limited overs forms. Our guys don't play that much long-form cricket so it would not be remiss if Shane & co gave him DVDs of the teams you mention with selections showing how in certain context the captain intervened and changed the course of the match.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Mushfiq should rely a bit more on Mominul and Nasir. They are much better bowlers than he thinks they are. But overall, Mushy has been successful and we cannot deny that.
subhanAllah! Mominul has been a revelation with the ball, wasn't expecting it. Nasir, he is ready to take on the world, also he is pretty street smart. Yes, both of them should be used more often.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla, Joe Root

একতাই বল কথাটা কতখানিক সত্য আমরা টের পাচ্ছি, মুশফিক প্রমান করে দিল
Old November 4, 2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

No matter what ..... I saw something inside of him.... Didnt saw others.... Its care... Its love ... Its passion he has for the team.... Yes he has negative side also....but i will say, he got lots of positive side to shown.... Atleast dont take fao vhab with the team mates & media.....he trying to prove him self.... Hes trying to bring new faces with self belive....
Old November 4, 2013, 09:56 PM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
একতাই বল কথাটা কতখানিক সত্য আমরা টের পাচ্ছি, মুশফিক প্রমান করে দিল
cant agree more, he is a great team man no doubt about that and so is shane, with these two gentleman in charge the team unity is greater then ever
Old November 5, 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
I won't even think about disrespecting good-smart captaincy. However, trying too many things can easily backfire. Mushfiq has a lot of room for improvement, but his captaincy doesn't need to be ridiculed yet.

Regarding bowling Mashrafe and Shahadat at the death, if you remember both time our spinners were getting hammered big time. Like in the last ODI, Gazi and Razzak were leaking runs like faucets, so the captain understandably called upon his (only) two pacers. Mashrafe happened to be one of them. If you recall, Rubel bowled pretty decently at the death. The alternative is to ask a part timer (like mominul) to do what a regular spinner failed to do. So I don't think Mushfiq had much of a choice.
Against SL, others were getting hammered, too. However, Mushfiq could have used other bowlers earlier to at least make sure that Shahadat was not needed in death overs. Against PAK, other bowlers yielded 15 in overs 46-49, Shahadat yielded 19 in the 50th over. We lost by 2.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:25 AM

It's easy with hindsight to look back and say "such and such" a bowler went for X runs so shouldn't have bowled over number Y. But you don't know this BEFORE the over, and no one is trying to bowl poorly.

If the bowler had taken 2 wickets and won the match then he is a hero. Look at Rubel who took a hattrick and 6 wickets and is a hero... after many on this forum said he was no good and should be dropped in previous games/series.

My point being that we simply do not KNOW how someone is going to perform. All you can do as a captain is have a plan and hope your bowlers deliver that plan for you.

Even Dhoni has been under pressure due to his death overs. So cut Mushy some slack.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
It's easy with hindsight to look back and say "such and such" a bowler went for X runs so shouldn't have bowled over number Y. But you don't know this BEFORE the over, and no one is trying to bowl poorly.

If the bowler had taken 2 wickets and won the match then he is a hero. Look at Rubel who took a hattrick and 6 wickets and is a hero... after many on this forum said he was no good and should be dropped in previous games/series.

My point being that we simply do not KNOW how someone is going to perform. All you can do as a captain is have a plan and hope your bowlers deliver that plan for you.

Even Dhoni has been under pressure due to his death overs. So cut Mushy some slack.
^^ right on coach.
Some here thinks Mushy has a crystal ball and he still disagrees with it's prediction.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quite amusing and funny how some people are still on Mushys case!

He is simply the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced so far. Many ODI wins against high ranked teams, Test draws, Asia Cup Final and two Banglawashes all under little Mushy. He is a performing captain, too. Leading from the front. Man management and team cohesion under Mushy is quite unprecedented. He is still a very young captain leading a very young team. Naturally, he will make small mistakes here and there. All part of the learning curve.

I nominate Mushy a lifelong captaincy.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan

He is simply the best captain Bangladesh has ever produced so far. Many ODI wins against high ranked teams, Test draws, Asia Cup Final and two Banglawashes all under little Mushy. He is a performing captain, too. Leading from the front. Man management and team cohesion under Mushy is quite unprecedented. He is still a very young captain leading a very young team. Naturally, he will make small mistakes here and there. All part of the learning curve.

knowing the hypocrites, people will call for his resignment if we lose the next match.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 5, 2013, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
^^ right on coach.
Some here thinks Mushy has a crystal ball and he still disagrees with it's prediction.
That's a nice way to put it. Thanks. I'm going to keep it for future reference.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan

The first one was under Shakib, who took over from Mash at Game One
Old November 5, 2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but then, anytime I see Mash bowl in death I am biting my nails. I don't even want to think about Shahadat, given how poor his accuracy has been in recent years. Beyond these two (and perhaps Rubel), I have no issues unless the captain calls someone who has been bowling poorly on that day.

As of now, Mushfiqur is our best captain. I only wish that he consults the best tacticians in the team on the field (like Imran picked Miandad's brain).
Old November 6, 2013, 12:31 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

i wish i had said Aftab is the worst fielder ever
Old November 6, 2013, 01:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i wish i had said Aftab is the worst fielder ever
You aren't too far from the truth

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)