facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 16, 2004, 08:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Psychological effect of supporting a continually losing team (old 2004 thread)

Thanks to our cricket team we'll all become pessimistic and impotent losers!

Living vicariously through sports teams: is it healthy?

Quote:
Dr. Hirt studied fans of Big Ten basketball and found that those with an allegiance to a particular team felt better about their own abilities and sex appeal when their team won. After a loss, fans were far more pessimistic about their chances of making a free throw, completing word games and snagging a date.
Quote:
"People can go to games together, they watch broadcasts together, talk and commiserate on the radio or through email or play fantasy sports together ," he explains.
Quote:
Those who feel a strong connection with the team tend to feel angry, upset or depressed.

"For a day or two, it puts you kind of down in the dumps," says Dr. Wann, "but within a short time, the vast majority bounce back."
The symptoms are there. You have been warned
Old December 16, 2004, 08:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I think I have a great balance of success and failure by following Australia and Bangladesh
Old December 16, 2004, 08:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Euphoric one day, suicidal the next. Give it a few more years and you'll be on the lithium for sure
Old December 16, 2004, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Damn, what about the red sox fans? They mustn't have had healthy sexual relationships in a long time then. And those Harvard, MIT, Umass students that red sox fans must be in a pickle regarding their GPA.
Old December 16, 2004, 11:23 PM
Test Cricketer

who and what are red sox fans?
Old December 16, 2004, 11:35 PM
BC Editorial Team

Supporting a losing team is not as bad as it is made out to be. The team that I have been following closely in Ranji trophy for 20 years has been utter crap for all but three of those seasons. This year we are about to finish at the bottom of the lower division.

The difference in my case from yours is that I have rarely been mocked because they are so bad, but at the same time I never had a shoulder to cry on either ! This, together with the often indifference performance of India, has given me sort of philosophical outlook about win and loss which is not really a bad thing
Old December 16, 2004, 11:43 PM
BC Editorial Team

>> who and what are red sox fans?

The supporters of Boston Red Sox.

In 1919, they sold a young pitcher by the name Babe Ruth to their rivals New York Yankees. At NYY, Ruth developed into the greatest batter that has ever been.

Sox which won 8 world series before 1919, did not win another for 85 years (while losing 8 finals), while Yankees won their 25th since 1919 a couple of years ago. Red Soxians called this the 'curse of the Bambino' this being the nickname of Ruth.

Finally this year, Sox managed to overturn the curse by winning the World Series with spectacular wins in the last two mathces.
Old December 16, 2004, 11:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Do these red sox people have to prove (in each and every game) that they are worthy of being in the league? Are they contintually threatened to be relegated to a 'lower' league? For us the stakes are higher coz this is the first international sport that we are competing in the highest level AND we have to prove that we are worthy of such a status.
Old July 3, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The title is so appealing to the current context that I could not resist to highlight this one - my condolences!
Old July 3, 2007, 11:20 PM
Cricket Legend

One World, keep it to yourself. Don't dig up three year old threads and confuse everyone.
Old July 4, 2007, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend

This thread is highly relevant,but one world has been like the boy who screamed "Wolf""wolf"