facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Hall
Holding
Marshal
Those three are in.
I am having trouble with the 4th.
Between Croft, Roberts, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose.

I'd take Walsh.

Old April 5, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Hall
Holding
Marshal
Those three are in.
I am having trouble with the 4th.
Between Croft, Roberts, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose.

I'd take Walsh.
hall was a great bowler, interested why you rate him in your top 4? having continued my research and watched more footage, even though marshall is one of the best ever i don't see or hear of him getting as much bounce as some of the other WI greats and for me that's one of the best weapons a pacer can have, i reckon that's what often makes the difference between WI fast men and others is that they can get high sharp bounce out of nothing. even greats of other countries don't usually manage that but quite a few WI ones do.
Old April 6, 2012, 02:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

The Big Bird
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Old April 6, 2012, 06:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
hall was a great bowler, interested why you rate him in your top 4? having continued my research and watched more footage, even though marshall is one of the best ever i don't see or hear of him getting as much bounce as some of the other WI greats and for me that's one of the best weapons a pacer can have, i reckon that's what often makes the difference between WI fast men and others is that they can get high sharp bounce out of nothing. even greats of other countries don't usually manage that but quite a few WI ones do.
Fearsome, pioneer, fast, accurate... as the legend goes he was the test version's death bowler.

Growing up heard of him as the one who would break people's arm at will. Colin Cowdrey was among one of the recipients.

As for Marshal 365 wickets is like 450 nowadays. He was too fast for most. Compare that with Shoaib Akhtar who couldn't even reach 200. The standard of greatness during the 70s.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Fearsome, pioneer, fast, accurate... as the legend goes he was the test version's death bowler.

Growing up heard of him as the one who would break people's arm at will. Colin Cowdrey was among one of the recipients.

As for Marshal 365 wickets is like 450 nowadays. He was too fast for most. Compare that with Shoaib Akhtar who couldn't even reach 200. The standard of greatness during the 70s.
yes well the 70s and 80s produced some truly great fast bowlers, it's probably the best era of fast bowling that there has been....compare to the last 10 years and that period had soo many great fast bowlers now we have just a handful of really good ones and not many of them have been able to produce top quality bowling for a lengthy period. the article currently on cricinfo comparing anderson and steyn just shows, anderson has produced quality bowling for a couple of years and he's the best rival to steyn atm who is the one fast bowler of the current era who has been able to produce over a good period.
Old April 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cricket Savant

I am not sure what is the future of Amir. The portion I saw him bowling: I think he would have been up there with the Ws if not surpass them.
Old April 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
I am not sure what is the future of Amir. The portion I saw him bowling: I think he would have been up there with the Ws if not surpass them.
Amir did look promising but the two Ws were in a different league! I still have memories of Wasim and Waqar bowling teams out by themselves in test matches and defending ridiculously mediocre totals! And they produced that magic day in and day out for more than a decade!
Old April 7, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cricket Guru

amir was amazing for his age, great pace for his age, great control etc but he still had a lot of development even though he was already quality at 17/18. he's missed some vital growing in the last year or so now, he could still become a great bowler but we may never know how good he could have been had he not lost the last year or so.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru

whatever happened to jermaine lawson? that guy was a really really decent prospect and now i don't see him playing in any team anywhere. jerome taylor as well where has he gone?

i'm really excited to see how jason holder, andre russell and carlos brathwaite develop.

Last edited by Gowza; April 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM..
Old April 8, 2012, 12:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Amir, at the age of 17/18 when he had not finished growing, could already bowl at round-about 150 kmph. And get the ball to seam and swing prodigiously. The way he started, he would definitely have been the best fast bowler of Nasir's generation. To bad that it seems to be a moot point now.
Old April 8, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
whatever happened to jermaine lawson? that guy was a really really decent prospect and now i don't see him playing in any team anywhere. jerome taylor as well where has he gone?

i'm really excited to see how jason holder, andre russell and carlos brathwaite develop.
J Taylor had numerous injuries. This K Cooper is a good one as well.
Old April 8, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
i've heard keon joseph is a good prospect to. but andre russell has imprssed me a lot, he is a terrific allrounder. jason holder should maybe focus on bowling more than batting, it's great that he can hold a bat but with his height he could be a great fast bowler and have weaopns that not many others have like WI pacers of past, he has a great domestic record and did well the few overs he got against the aussies in the current tour.

carlos brathwaite looks good to, i'm surprised he hasn't got a run in the national team yet given his age and the issues they have with building a good pace attack.

btw my 3 favourite WI pacers have to be holding, walsh, ambrose. like hall a lot to tbh.

they have some great talent coming through, i can't believe they let guys like jermaine lawson and jerome taylor get away.
Old April 12, 2012, 02:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
WI has a few really solid allrounders these days. obviously dwayne bravo as he's been around awhile now but they have k cooper and andre russell coming through as really good allrounders. even dwayne smith can bowl a bit and of course marlon samuels is decent enough. jason holder as well.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:45 PM
Cricket Guru

btw Tony Gray was a very good bowler, had injury problems and read that clive lloyd had an issue with him when he once asked him to play injured and tony refused so after that he didn't have much of a chance to play anymore.
Old June 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Michael Holding
Malcolm Marshall
Courtney Walsh
Curtly Ambrose
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Old June 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Malcolm Marshall
Andy Roberts
Curtly Ambrose
Ravi Rampaul (very underrated)

Was watching this few days ago, brilliant

Old June 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Cricket Guru

i find always find roberts an interesting discussion because when picking out the best few WI pacemen he;s often forgotten but when you look at what players of his time say they often consider him one of the best and even a few consider him the best of his time and some even think of him as the best of all WI quicks.

garner was really effective but didn't have as many variations as others (although he had the height that not many of the others had), he wasn't as quick for example, so comes the question do you rate effectiveness (garner) higher than overall skill level (marshall, roberts, holding, walsh)? what about intimidation factor (croft, patterson, clarke, gilchrist)? also quality of opposition (ambrose)
Old June 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohli_Sox
Malcolm Marshall
Andy Roberts
Curtly Ambrose
Ravi Rampaul (very underrated)
Excuse me if it's Sarc 101 but you can't be too sure in BC nowadays.

Ravi Rampaul?!? W-O-W!!!!

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)