facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 18, 2005, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default Dave --- Not again

Quote:
I feel a drawn match is better than a win.

Dav Whatmore

[Source]

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 2:25 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Misquoted, nice try

He said "I feel a drawn match was better than a win".

That simply means this draw was better then a win, as it gave us the whole series.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rajputro
Misquoted, nice try

That simply means this draw was better then a win, as it gave us the whole series.
See in the highlighted box of the article ... it is IS there but in text is is WAS.

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 8:20 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:47 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I'm just glad that we are able to SAVE this test match after playing so badly with the bat in the first innings.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:55 AM
Club Cricketer

I am glad to with the draw, fwullah.
if we would have lost 1/2 wickets the result could be in ZIM's favour.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

im glad we have drawn, we still won the serise nothing to worry about i happy with the results
Old January 18, 2005, 10:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Default I think what Dav meant to say was

this draw was a more impressive result from Bangladesh's point of view than the win in Chittagong.

I know a lot of people on this board won't agree with that, but I do. At Chittagong, Bangladesh had it quite easy, apart from Taibu's resistance on the third day. In Dhaka, Zimbabwe played much more spirited cricket, and Bangladesh had to really dig deep and fight hard to get this result. This draw shows character, something that has been lacking in BD cricket. I am proud of this performance. CricInfo can write whatever they want, but this was a masterclass. And it will make winning the series all the more sweeter, than had Zimbabwe just handed it to us on a silver platter.

Well done Bangladesh!!

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 3:03 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:03 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm glad to see this great test win and then series win, which was only possible for Dave being a coach in BD. If the coach were Paki guy (don't remember) his name which was replaced by Dave the result will couple of big "00000" means nothing.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:09 AM
Test Cricketer

HI there.. I m new to this forum . Although I had been following this forum for some time.. never posted anyting.. Anyway.. I think. what Dav said.. is more to do with the practical sitution than just hope. The condition of the test match was bad and BD team did really well to survive nearly 1.75 days. That is simply an amazing feat to do . As far as things abt negativity, i just dont understand, what is so negative about it. Is it negative because Dav thought abt the most practical situtaion?.. Anyway.. Congrats to all for the series win. HOpe for a much better result in the ODIs.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
Quote:
Originally posted by Rajputro
Misquoted, nice try

See in the highlited box of the article ... it is IS there but in text is is WAS.
You are right. BBC is deliberately skewing the quote. Goddamn all media is f-ed up.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:23 AM
Street Cricketer

I really agree with this view. A win is always best and the sweetest! But we also must understand that we are a new test-playing nation, who needs so much improvement. Every difficult situation is a source of learning for us. The situation we imposed on ourselves by a 1st innings deficit was not new for BD (compulsive wkt throwing :-) )and we developed a habit of doing worse in subsequent 2nd innings. We did know but never believed that we can recover in 2nd innings and come back to the match..only this test gave us that proof and it seems that we learned (not sure though:-)). A so called weaker opponent sparked the pride of BD cricketers (we saw it before from others against us) and they played a very defensive innings that saved the match and ultimately we could taste a series win (woo..what a feeling..I am really so happy) That is something which will serve us better in future than a easy win in Dhaka

(that we
Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
this draw was a more impressive result from Bangladesh's point of view than the win in Chittagong.

I know a lot of people on this board won't agree with that, but I do. At Chittagong, Bangladesh had it quite easy, apart from Taibu's resistance on the third day. In Dhaka, Zimbabwe played much more spirited cricket, and Bangladesh had to really dig deep and fight hard to get this result. This draw shows character, something that has been lacking in BD cricket. I am proud of this performance. CricInfo can write whatever they want, but this was a masterclass. And it will make winning the series all the more sweeter, than had Zimbabwe just handed it to us on a silver platter.

Well done Bangladesh!!

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 3:03 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:35 AM
Club Cricketer

I don't know if a'draw' is better than a 'win' but in the context of Bangladesh cricket and it's future, I think this draw was as good as a win. This was one of the rare times that our batsmen showed some maturity. Sure, I as well as millions of BD Cricket fans would've been delighted with a win but the fact that batsmen were able to play out 147 overs (no matter how weak the attack is) is remarkable and should serve us well in the future.

What I am dissapointed about is that talented strokeplayers like Bashar and Ashraful aren't getting it done. One century then a series of low scores is not good enough for premiere batsmen.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:56 AM
Street Cricketer

In ths series, Ahraful is a big surprise for me, I think we have to bare with him, until he overcomes his inconsistancy. But it is also a good question "how long?" Do we have a better alternative? Unfortunately NO. Alok can replace Aftab to give him a try again.
I suspect ZMB is a better ODI team than as a test team. ODIs will be more competive for sure.
.:fanflag
Old January 18, 2005, 01:28 PM
Cricket Sage

"Nafees said the coach's pep talk on Day Three had played on his mind when he went out to bat in the second innings.

He (told me something very important. He said that sometimes you have to sacrifice your natural style to suit the situation. I remembered that." -- Daily Star

Its nice to see how the youngster is following Dav's instruction to the best of his capability. The more I hear about this kid the more I start believing in him.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 6:29 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Sad example of media taking comments out of context!

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
Quote:
I feel a drawn match is better than a win.

Dav Whatmore

[Source]

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 2:25 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
This is yet another sad example of the media taking things out of context and creating sound bites. Here's the full quote:

Moments after Bangladesh drew the second Test against Zimbabwe at the Bangabandhu National Stadium yesterday to complete a historic series victory, the 50-year-old tactician rightly said: "Saving the Test match here went a long way in showing people that batsmen of Bangladesh are not just about crash-bang wallops. They do have the ability to occupy the crease for a long period of time. In the greater picture of Bangladesh's cricket this is very significant. It's better than a win."

Source: Daily Star
Old January 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Do send an email to BBC complaining about quoting out of context to create a controversial sound bite. I already have. After all, they claim to pride themselves on unbiased reporting.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 10:26 PM GMT, by shaad.
Old January 19, 2005, 12:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Uno Momento

Look guys! We all are very much fan of BD cricket. There are lots of emotions involved. We have to be patient. We can not roll up our sleeves and go to fight every time we think they wrote an unworthy material about us. They also right good article about us. I truly believe one day will come when Bangladesh will quite their critic by their games performance. Think about the scenario, Bangladesh beat India in test series in India. They will have no where to go but write accolade for us. Since then we need to pay attention to the critic and let it be the inspiration for us to achieve more success. Thank You.

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 5:27 AM GMT, by shujan.
Old January 19, 2005, 01:04 AM
Club Cricketer

It depends on what the meaning of the word IS is

--for those of you who are educated in clinton-speak
Old January 19, 2005, 03:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Dav is awsome, get of his back...

Without him we'd be sitting here reflecting on a couple of thrashings...
Old January 19, 2005, 04:18 AM
Test Cricketer

he was aiming the series win.
he wanted to develop the confidence of the batsman
he realised that chasing a target put pressure on batsmen and may the reason of worry to lose the match. so he aimed the draw than win and tried to maintain the confidence of players.

well done DW
Old January 19, 2005, 04:25 AM
Test Cricketer

what dav meant was that by drawing this test, BD batsmen showed that they have the patience to bat 5 sessions. this is a part of test cricket. BD batsmen did well under pressure. if they had reached the winning total by playing some wild cricket, that might not have shown BD's patient side and ability to do well under pressure and also might have been said that BD won because of weak zimbabwe bowling attack rather than good BD batting, but by batting out , they proved that they are worthy of playing test cricket. moreover habibul bashar said in press briefing that zimbabwe's plan was to make us play shots, go for the total and lose wickets, but didn't play according to their plan, we played according to ours. now thats a captain.