facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2006, 01:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Kenyan Bowling Analysis

Even though Bangladesh's batting has improved quite a lot since their last match with Kenya, they should still be extremely wary.
The most important attribute in Roger Harpers side is the discipline. Kenya have a blend of youth and experience, and definitely has everything it needs to cause an upset.
Martin Suji has been the evergreen strike bowler for Kenya for years. Bangladesh's strike bowlers changed in the years from Saiful Islam, to Hasibul Hossain, to Manjurul Islam to Mashrafee and so on. However Kenya have stuck to their ever disciplined Martin Suji. Bowling at just 110-120 km/h this guy has troubled our batsmen with his immaculate line and length. He will give nothing to the Bangladeshi batsmen, and wait for them to make mistakes. And this is where our problem lies, our batsmen play one shot too many.
Thomas Odoyo is their attacking bowler, and by far the quickest. He can bowl around the 130 km/h range and can get the bowl to kick and bounce. He can also be wayward, so is definitely going to be a target for our aggressive minded batsmen.
However i feel the main threat for our batsmen will be Collins Obuya. This guy shot to fame after his superb performance in World Cup. Since then he has developed a lot. He was signed by Warwickshire where he had a dull season in the unfriendly English Conditions. Recently he has spent time with Terry Jennings who was responsible for the development of the Worlds Greatest Ever Leg Spinner Shane Warne. Obuya is a tall bowler he gets purchase from nearly every wicket because of his high arm action. He will definitely cause problems with his bounce.
The rest of the bowlers will be playing supporting roles. Kenya has some very good part time bowlers who will definitely bowl a lot of overs.
Kenya are also one of the better fielding teams in the world. Their players are extremely athletic, and be prepared to see some diving saves and catches, and stumps being knocked down.
All in all Kenya shouldnt be taken lightly. They have a very disciplined bowling attack and some fantastic fielders. Bangladeshi batsmen will definitely have their hands full if they are made to chase totals, because this is where the Kenyans are the strongest.
The Bangladesh side now has a much better balance, and our players have a lot more experience. Most importantly our bowling has improved quite a lot. Lets hope for the best and pray we can overcome Kenya without much trouble. Its not about revenge, its to show the rest of the world how far we have gone ahead.

Old March 13, 2006, 03:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Good analysis there jeesh. Let me add what Steve Curran, Zimbabwe's coach, had to say after his team got bundled out for 69 in the third match of the series against Kenya-

"Kenya have an ordinary attack. We were not bowled out. We gave it away. There is no excuse for playing like we did. The players can only blame themselves. It's total irresponsibility. We've seen the Kenyan bowling and it's not frightening."

After the addition of Martin Suji and Collins Obuya, Kenya now have a stronger bowling attack than the one they took to Zimbabwe. But, I still believe it is not a frightening bowling side by any means, even though a very disciplined one. If our batters play with cool heads, don't see much reason to worry here. The key word here is being "cool"

Edited on, March 13, 2006, 8:23 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:21 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Fatay falano dorkar oi Suji, Payesh r Khir jai houk na keno !!!
Obuya bhua !!!
Old March 13, 2006, 08:27 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

সুজির হালুয়া বের করে দেওয়া হবে।
Old March 13, 2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu

সুজির হালুয়া বের করে দেওয়া হবে।
Old March 13, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The best bowler kenya has is Steve Tikolo. bodmash 3/4 ta wicket nibey. not LBW or Bowled. All catches at long on, square leg. Maney hoilo amader batsmen'der hook korar probonota.
Old March 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Originally posted by jeesh

However i feel the main threat for our batsmen will be Collins Obuya. This guy shot to fame after his superb performance in World Cup. Since then he has developed a lot. He was signed by Warwickshire where he had a dull season in the unfriendly English Conditions. Recently he has spent time with Terry Jennings who was responsible for the development of the Worlds Greatest Ever Leg Spinner Shane Warne. Obuya is a tall bowler he gets purchase from nearly every wicket because of his high arm action. He will definitely cause problems with his bounce.
I would like to know a bit more details about Collins Obuya's training under Terry Jennings - what type of training, duration etc. etc.

Edited on, March 13, 2006, 3:09 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.
Old March 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kana-Baba
Quote:
Originally posted by jeesh

I would like to know a bit more details about Collins Obuya's training under Terry Jennings - what type of training, duration etc. etc.

Edited on, March 13, 2006, 3:09 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.
it was a 5-week intensive session.

read the articles at Obuya's page:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/c...yer/24752.html

this was written at the end of it: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/c...ry/231485.html
Old March 13, 2006, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Even last month, Collins Obuya was struggling to impress Kenyan selectors, don't think he has turned into a world beater within such a short period of time. Some comments from different news medias regarding why Obuya missed the Zimbabwe series-

"The only leg-spinner of international standard in Kenya has been Collins Obuya who was dropped as he was still struggling to get his bowling action going. "

-nation media

"Collins Obuya has been omitted due to lack of form in his bowling," said a statement from Cricket Kenya (CK).

-east standard
Old March 13, 2006, 07:17 PM
Street Cricketer

Hi Guys - I was asked to visit your site and stir the pot a bit with input from an opponent.
A bowler you have not mentioned is Peter Ongondo. He has improved in leaps and bounds since any of you would have last seen him in action. After Zimbabwe (no fluke - he has been improving domestically too), he may even open with Odoyo.
Collin's I'll admit is a worry for us. He could be very good, or he could be expensive. He is a lot about confidence, and I'm told that is starting to return.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Welcome aboard Chemosit i enjoyed reading your blog

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
A Kenyan fan blog
this is it right?

Edited on, March 14, 2006, 12:24 AM GMT, by cricman.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:26 PM
Street Cricketer

Yep - that's me.
I'm working on a website too, but that is a while away yet.
This is a very impressive site you guys have going here - wonderful to see so many supporters!
Old March 13, 2006, 07:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Welcome Chemosit. Also, thanks for your input.

Can you also give us your opinion on Martin Suji's chances to do well in this series?

Edited on, March 14, 2006, 12:28 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Welcome Chemosit. Glad to have you here.

Have you seen the movie "Constant Gardener" filmed in Kenya? After watchcing that movie I feel like supporing Kenya against Bangladesh.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:39 PM
Street Cricketer

Thanks guys.

Martin Suji's return is very good news for us - his discipline will make a huge difference and give us 3 seamers able and used to taking wickets. This will then take pressure off the less experienced bowlers like Luseno.

Constant Gardner - great film and has done a lot of good for Kenyan tourism.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

The real party pooper is Tikolo. He knows ins and outs of Bangladesh players and their weaknesses. He certainly will exploit that. But it goes into opposite direction as well. Nasu needs to do some analysis on Tikolo and work on his weaknesses.

Kenya is a strong team but not the same as Murice Odumbe's Kenya. This team is not as athletic, super charged as the Kenya Bangladesh faced years back. Neither is Bangladesh the same team... you have some fresh blood who have defeated India, Australia, Srilanka and to them Kenya is not a problem. Complacency is.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

Chemosit, welcome - feel free to stir the pot
Old March 13, 2006, 10:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Chemosit,

Jambo... Jambo

hope you enjoy your stay here.
Old March 14, 2006, 12:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

my guess is our bowlers will just kill them inshallah.. their batting is still where it was in 1971.... oh well since then our bowling has improved a lot so i am guessing bowling will be the key....
Old March 14, 2006, 10:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Originally posted by akabir77
my guess is our bowlers will just kill them inshallah.. their batting is still where it was in 1971.... oh well since then our bowling has improved a lot so i am guessing bowling will be the key....

yeah....INSHA ALLAH...vai...lets arrange a MILAD MAHFIL for our {bekub} bastmen...hehe
Old March 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Martin Suji, Thomas Odoyo, Collins Obuiya, Steve Tikolo I think none of them can match Mashrafe Mortaza or Mohammed Rafique or even Shahadat (for pace) or Rasel (for swing and accuracy).

I think we have got a much better bowling attack than kenya has.

Its the application of our batsman which is more important.

I am wondering whether Aftab and Ash will go for it like they went against Chigumbura, Australia and England attack.
Old March 14, 2006, 01:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

I'd still like to think that Kenya are much better at discipline. Although their bowlers stats read very mediocre, their nagging accuracy was one of the causes of their success in last world cup. combine that with some truly world class batsmen, like Otieno, Tikolo and H. Modi.

Our bowlers might be faster, possess more swing or be better spinners, but if we dont stay disciplined and spray all over the place, it will cost us dearly.