facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 22, 2007, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara
Default Super8 standing does not provide the true picture

With the early exit of India nad Pakistan, almost every team in the Super8 seems to be happy with their final standing.

Semi-finalists:
Among the semi-finalists, I think, only Australia might feel failing to achieve their goal, if they dont proceed further.

England:
England stands at #5, which ultimately looks like an excellent place for them. Even though they won a series against Australia, their world cup campain was miserable. They won only against Ireland, Bangladesh and the 'always slipping' WI. In the losing cases, the Sri Lanka game is the only one, where they put up some fight. Still they are #5!

West Indies:
WI won only one match in the Super8, that was more of a gift from the Bangladeshi captain and batsmen than their own performance. They are one of the crap teams, having full of talents and power, that give away advatages at a regular basis. And yet, a 8 ranked team might call the final position 6 as a great improvement, while it was actually not.

Ireland:
Ireland, at 8 is certainly happy and actually they kept always trying and with their consistency, they deserve to be ranked better than Bangladesh and of course WI. But the credit for their reaching the Super8 is not all their own. They won against the hapless Pakistanis; but people always forget that Zimbabwe gifted them 1 very much valuable point. Zimbabwe were motoring along towards an easy win and then their batsmen all, except Matsikenyeri, did a Tamim and forced themselves towards the position of defeat. While I was watching the match, I was surprised how the international players can be such stupids. (Though Bangladeshi batsmen gifted me more in the following days.)

Bangladesh:
We all are extremely happy for our final standing. Before the world cup, even getting at the Super8 would have been considered as a pleasing surprise. But again, this does not tell the true story of our performance. The india match was excellent (the batting was not tested much though). But against Sri Lanka, we let us completely down. We got ourself completely out of the Super8 calculation, if NRR were the deciding factor. Thanks to Sri Lanka for beating India and still it was not over. We made Bermuda match too much difficult and thanks to Ashraful, and in more extent, to the inexperience of Bermuda. In the super8, batting in the SA match was luck. Ashful with those risky shots could be out any time. And his innings was finally proved to be the difference. Apart from this, we and our bowlers were always let down by our captain and the horrible batsmen. Bowlers were consistently performing; but fielding (again captain effect) was sloppy at important times. A 7th position looks so impressive; but we must seriously work on our problems. Let the standing not eclipse the mistakes and those were too many.

Pak-India effect:
If either Pak or India or both were in the Super8, though we may not like it, teams in the Semis and #5 and #6 would not get an easy ride. (though, we and Ireland deserved to qualify and they deserved to leave, with their 1st round performance). The final standing would look a bit different and the true performance of teams like WI and England might have attracted more focus.

Last edited by Baundule; April 22, 2007 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: typos

Old April 22, 2007, 10:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

I think the Super8 shows the true picture. I am not sure I can agree with your analysis.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:00 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I second that.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i third that.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
I think the Super8 shows the true picture. I am not sure I can agree with your analysis.
Hey, let's see the flaws in my analysis. I am sure there are lot of errors and though I tried to be 100% logical; I think, I might be sometimes emotional specially with our performances

Anyway, let's hear your view.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

HB and ATMR, I fifth that
Old April 22, 2007, 01:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

ok. I'll try explaining my points:
Bangladesh: I sincerely believe this team under achieved given their potential.Before the world-cup, really we did not have any solid meausre of how far this team will goas our stats were seriously skewed by too many trips to Zimbabwe. The manner we beat NZ in the warm-ups, there was always an outsider hope that we will make it to super 8 and give some of the giants run for their money. My personal opinion is that if Bangladesh had a more aggressive captain the games against England, WI and Sri Lanka would have been different. In my opinion, the only game Bangladesh played reaaly bad comprehesively was the super 8 match against NZ. All the other matches they lost because they lacked the aggression or not wanting to win. If you count drop catches in slips (1st, 2nd and 3rd), Bangladesh would be on the top of list. I was counting but stopped...Bashar should have steered this team to a better position. With the talent this team has, basic running between the wickets and slip catches would significantly improve this team's winning percentage. Bashar does not have the stomach for criticizm. I have a concern that the players don't understand that they are representing their country and the responsibility here is quite heavy. Bashar is defensive and emotional. I rest my case with Bangladesh. Those who want to argue this point, I shall refer to 2003 world cup run that Kenya put out. Very aggressive bunch of men who were not scared to take a challenge and prove a point. Battingwise, Bangladesh has some raw talent and if I were the coach I would be very happy with the talent pool offered. With one more fast bowler, this side can turn up big - really big.

Pakistan-India effect: Every few months I would ramble about how we should play Pakistan and India more often. In today's world cricket Pakistan is the most inconsistent team and Indian's are often vulnerable against some quality bowling, whether it is spin or seam attack. I personally think, India and Pakistan are both at par or below par if compared to England. In my opinion, they are the two botom teams amongst the test playng teams in this world cup. If England were in the group that India or Pakistan were in they would probably have not have qualified. WI in my opinion is as inconsistent as Bangladesh.

Ireland: I think they have done excpetionally well. Although people seem to forget that they are quite fortunate that they have essentially played with "bharatay" players from Aus and SA. With the county eperience, I am not sure why Ireland is such a poor outfit in world cricket. If you take out the SA and Aus guys, Ireland would not have managed to go past Canada. In world cricket two teams that have built their reputation organically are Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Pakistan got their first generation of cricketers coming out of the English County along with WI. India always managed to extract some pity out of everyone. Zimbabwe had their players supported by the county leagues (in the 90s).

Australia: I say they are playing well at the moment. Had Tamim not chased Nathan Bracken's outside the off-stump, almost wide delivery and if it was a full 50 over match, I think Australia were very lucky that they played their first super8 match for 22 overs. And unfortunately, a pumped up Bangladesh played their first super8 match in a 22 over match against Australia. If that match was a full 50 over match or the first match for Bangladesh was against England, the history for Worldcup 2007 would have unfolded differently. Not to discredit Australia for what they have done. But honestly, they are riding a bit of luck. Remember their fastest bowler, Tait, was torn apart by Aftab. I agree though that Englad should be happy to be at 5th position. They were lucky to go past by Bangladesh and came head-on with a demorilzed WI in the last game. The win against Ireland was a given. In the group matches, I felt they were going to loose to Canada.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

since no one claimed 6th...........

but where is fourth

only australia was able to dominate but the others struggled.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
West Indies:
WI won only one match in the Super8, that was more of a gift from the Bangladeshi captain and batsmen than their own performance. [bold]They are one of the crap teams,[/bold] having full of talents and power, that give away advatages at a regular basis. And yet, a 8 ranked team might call the final position 6 as a great improvement, while it was actually not.
Pak-India effect:
If either Pak or India or both were in the Super8, though we may not like it, teams in the Semis and #5 and #6 would not get an easy ride. (though, we and Ireland deserved to qualify and they deserved to leave, with their 1st round performance). The final standing would look a bit different and [bold]the true performance of teams like WI [/bold]and England might have attracted more focus.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
West Indies:
WI won only one match in the Super8, that was more of a gift from the Bangladeshi captain and batsmen than their own performance. They are one of the crap teams, having full of talents and power, that give away advatages at a regular basis. And yet, a 8 ranked team might call the final position 6 as a great improvement, while it was actually not.
Pak-India effect:
If either Pak or India or both were in the Super8, though we may not like it, teams in the Semis and #5 and #6 would not get an easy ride. (though, we and Ireland deserved to qualify and they deserved to leave, with their 1st round performance). The final standing would look a bit different and the true performance of teams like WI and England might have attracted more focus.
Old April 26, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree with both Baundule and Zunaid. India and Pakistan if they made it to super 8 (and they should have) would have given England, WI a run for their money. We are lucky, that Bd got India in the opening match and India put up a really "out of sorts" performance. India with the talents they got otherwise would have a cake walk.

But I agree with zunaid that once Bd got through, Bd really had a big opportunity to make it to semis. It was the defensive and worthless captain and to some extent the irresponsible batting of talented players that let us down. If we could have just a batting coach, it might have made a big difference.
Old April 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

Like any tourney, the only thing that matters is the result. Not who was supposed to win or who had the best 12 months coming into the tourney.

And that's why we have cups - to have a lot of fun.
Old April 26, 2007, 11:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Baundule bhondami kortese (phun korlam ektu ). It's like saying India and Pakistan should have been given more chances...coz they deserved the spot rather than Ireland and Bangladesh in the S8s.

Anyway, I completely disagree with the analysis.
Old April 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Dhuro, I wrote a huge reply and the page was re-opened, following a link from an email

Agree with all of you, even with Kabir

In short, thanks to Zunaid for the well-thought comment and I echo with what bangladeshFan has said!
Old April 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I think If brazil and argentina was in S8 then matches would have been more compititive.

Some Bangladeshis just want to see their loved team India/Pakistan instead of their country. I have seen these over and over again. Last WC we lost to a vote count and had to watch india-Pakistan instead of Bangladesh-Kenya. so this doesn't surprise me.

Get a new passport.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Agree with all of you, even with Kabir
Good one!
Glad to see that you took phun as phun.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I think If brazil and argentina was in S8 then matches would have been more compititive.

Some Bangladeshis just want to see their loved team India/Pakistan instead of their country. I have seen these over and over again. Last WC we lost to a vote count and had to watch india-Pakistan instead of Bangladesh-Kenya. so this doesn't surprise me.

Get a new passport.
huh! Address of the passport office please!
Old April 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Good one!
Glad to see that you took phun as phun.
oh no! you wanted me to call for your head?