facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 1, 2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians
Default Eddie Barlow

Eddie Barlow-A person who will always be remembered in Bangladesh Cricket.

Eddie Barlow’s association with Bangladesh cricket might have lasted little more than a year only, but the South African will be remembered and respected as the best foreign coach by the cricketers and officials here alike.

Barlow was not only a mere coach but also assumed the role of a father figure to the cricketers and cunningly vocal during Bangla-desh’s campaign for Test status after the 1999 World Cup. His 10-year development programme has also played the key factor to change the face of our domestic cricket although a cruel heart-stroke cut short his association with Bangladesh, much earlier than expected.

“He was a true friend of Bangladesh cricket. To be honest he was the architect behind the change of domestic structure. It was bad luck that we couldn’t get him for a long time,” said our former chief selector Faruque Ahmed.

“Whatever I have achieved was because of that man. He gave me the mental support when my place in the national team was not even confirmed. I will always remember his words to the selectors that I have learnt afterwards ‘Is Sumi(Eddie use to call Habibul Bashar by that name) in the list for the inaugural Test,” said Habibul Bashar.

“Can you imagine a man seriously ill rushed to the ground only to see Bangladesh’s practice match against Derbyshire. Honestly speaking, Bangladesh’s cricket was in his heart,” he(Bashar) also said after Eddie passed away.

Former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mahmud said that his first experience with the South African would remain forever in his memory.

“When I first came across him during his first trip to our country before his contract with the board was struck, Barlow asked some senior players what kind of coach they wanted. Our unanimous reply was ‘a motivator’. He assured us that we would get it,” said the all-rounder.

“He (Barlow) was the key person to transform our cricket to the highest level from ICC stage. It was bad luck for us that he had a very short stint, otherwise players could learn how to play the longer-version game,” said another former skipper Akram Khan.

Wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud termed him as the best coach in his long career. “I must say that he was the best coach I have ever seen in my career. He had the rare quality to stand before the players when it was needed. He had showed us how one coach can motivate his players with a one-to-one conversation,” said Mashud.

“I want to take the opportunity to give a small picture of his fatherly attitude towards the players. During a camp at BKSP, Bulbul (Aminul Islam) suddenly learnt that his son was sick and he told the coach that he would come back to the camp the next morning after seeing his son. But an angry Barlow’s response was that Bulbul should join the camp only after the recovery of his son,” recalled Mashud after Eddie passed away.

Eddie was the one who wanted to and started to change the face of Bangladesh’s domestic cricket.He had a vision and he worked day and night to make it a reality.Every former cricketer and officials involved with Bangladesh cricket mentioned it time to time what would have happened with Bangladesh cricket if he was there. According to them Bangladesh cricket would have progressed a lot more if he could stay with the team for a longer period of time.

When he died in December 30,2005 Aktel premier Division cricket was going on in Bangladesh.All players and officials wore don black-ribbon during the following days Aktel Premier Division Cricket League matches to show their respect to the South African.

Eddie had suffered from a cerebral haemorrhage when he was coaching in Bangladesh.After attending the exhibition match at the Bangabandhu Stadium between the national cricketers and Overseas XI, he returned to his residence in Gulshan, Dhaka. He fell ill while chatting with his wife Cally Caroline Barlow and Bangladesh’s team physiotherapist Gavin Benjafield. He suddenly started choking and lost control. He was immediately rushed to a nearby clinic. After the BCB President Saber Hossain was informed of the incident by Mrs Barlow, he quickly made the necessary arrangements to take the Bangladesh coach to CMH.After regaining his consciousness, Barlow was in a jovial mood, joking with the people attending him at CMH. He wanted Mrs Barlow to take him home. He also inquired about the team’s training camp, which is now being looked after by Benjafield. Cricketers and officials, all went to visit Barlow.So even after recovering from a situation like that Bangladesh cricket was on his mind.

After recovering from that he had to leave the job as Bangladesh’s coach.But he always followed Bangladesh cricket and even went to see Bangladesh play when Bangladesh toured England. His wife Cally is also a big fan of Bangladesh cricket and still follows “The Tigers.”

He and his wife will always be remembered by the cricket loving people of Bangladesh for the love they have shown to Bangladesh cricket.

source-http://bangladeshcricketlive.com/edd...adesh-cricket/

its written by BC's very own S.Islam Ontique.....

This Great Man will be remembered.

Old June 1, 2012, 04:19 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Tamim,Gilly,Sachin

Thanks for sharing the article Istiaque(TigerEz)....Wanted to write something on him for a long time,but didn't have the proper info to write a good one.But lucky that I have found something

Hope you people will like it.
Old June 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Great article bro. I only heard good things about him. Top man he was.
Old June 1, 2012, 04:43 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Great article bro. I only heard good things about him. Top man he was.
Thanks.Yea Indeed he was.But most of us don't know much about him,including me.So for a long time was thinking to gather some info on him.The best thing is His Wife still follows our cricket.Today after seeing their picture she was very moved.She still misses Bangladesh.Wish there were more people like them
Old June 1, 2012, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Good read thanks. Another thing that before Pybus taking the job for Bd, he consulted Eddie's family and got to know more about Bangladesh. Eddie's family said all good things about Bangladesh which also convinced Pybus to take the job.
Old June 1, 2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Ontique
Thanks for sharing the article Istiaque(TigerEz)....Wanted to write something on him for a long time,but didn't have the proper info to write a good one.But lucky that I have found something

Hope you people will like it.
arey vai no thnx needed......btw everyone, this is not the only great article Ontique bhai wrote...he wrote more
Old June 3, 2012, 05:52 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEz
arey vai no thnx needed......btw everyone, this is not the only great article Ontique bhai wrote...he wrote more
Tanjeeb Ahsan Saad(BD team manager) has shared this with us yesterday,"I had the honor and privilege to work with Eddie Barlow when he was in Bangladesh. He was active and highly influential in submitting Bangladesh’s Test Case to ICC. In the early days of Bangladesh Test cricket, he passed on self belief and faith amongst the players and officials that “We really belong to the elite group of Test nations and we can do it”. He was not only a coach and motivator but also a father like figure to the players. It was the saddest day for Bangladesh cricket when Eddie suffered brain stroke at the practice session in Dhaka in 2000."
Old June 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

oh my !!! he suffered a brain stroke in a practice session???