facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Does the Bangladesh cricket team deserve its Test status?

Quote:
When Bangladesh made their Test match debut 12 years ago to the day, the cricketing world was much different to the one we know today.

It was also a bright new dawn for cricket in Bangladesh - the nation of 160 million people finally getting their chance to sit at cricket's top table.

When Aminul Islam cracked 145 to lay the foundations for cricket's newest country to score 400 all out in their maiden Test innings against India, the International Cricket Council's decision to elevate Bangladesh appeared wise.
Bangladesh's Test record
v Australia: P4 L4
v England: P8 L8
v India: P7 L6 D1
v New Zealand: P9 L8 D1
v Pakistan: P8 L8
v South Africa: P8 L8
v Sri Lanka: P12, L12
v West Indies: P8 L4 W2 D2
v Zimbabwe: P9 L5 W1 D3
Key: P = played, L = lost, D = drawn, W = won.

Unfortunately, it has not gone to plan since. The Tigers have lost 63 of their 73 Tests since admission, with their three wins coming against Zimbabwe at home and against a West Indies side without their best players because of a strike.

Those are depressing statistics, so what can be done to improve their international standing?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20116974

Old November 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Short answer is 'No' but what or who really decides what BD deserve? The argument of this (and like ones) always tend to be the that team in question hasn't won match. But to look at it that way is to boil down the game in very myopic view.

The fact BD can surprise anyone, pitting the lowest ranked with higher ones is what makes the game interesting.

But nice try Dman. Nice try.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

If you would ask me before tamim, sakib came in the team......answer would be noooooo....but now absoluty yessssss. Mark my word... u will see the difference in this series....go bd go...
Old November 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

answer is a big NO but ICC is hungry for money and Bangladesh is a cricket mad nation. You do the math ...
Old November 11, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

What a question Try something different buddy
Old November 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Does a question like this deserve to be asked when we play test matches every 11 months? If the wolves inside the Indian/British/Australian media can find nothing else to whine about...take away our test status ICC, you have killed test cricket anyways with T20 and the cheerleaders.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Man, if Bangladesh played for real we'd kick everyone so bad they'd go home and cry to their WAGS and beg for the strap-on.

Its obvious to anyone who knows anything about cricket that Bangladeshis just mess around. We're too good to play with the likes of the Test nations seriously. We need a real challenge!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

As a Bangladeshi: Hell yeah! The passion, the untapped talent, the potential market etc.

As a cricket fan: Not yet. Endemic ignorance, corruption, nepotism etc from key decision makers stagnating and sabotaging where Bangladesh ought to be.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan
Does the Bangladesh cricket team deserve its Test status?

Do you deserve to wear underwear?

sorry if it sounds odd, but I feel similar at your/BBC's question.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Test Cricketer

What is the objective of this thread? You raised the issue of striping BD off the test status only when BD started to show someone improvement.The top test nations routinely decline to play with BD and continue to reschedule or defer the tours. So BD's inclusion did not hinder the top 8 countries.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:17 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
As a Bangladeshi: Hell yeah! The passion, the untapped talent, the potential market etc.

As a cricket fan: Not yet. Endemic ignorance, corruption, nepotism etc from key decision makers stagnating and sabotaging where Bangladesh ought to be.
This!!!
Old November 12, 2012, 01:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Old November 12, 2012, 02:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

DMan, you are a guest here. Stop being a troll. People are being too nice to you. Maybe because you are West Indian; Bangladeshis like you; so keep it that way. There are plenty of other topics you can discuss. Game is less than a day away, focus on that.

Question like that raised by an annoying Indian or Pakistani would result in instant ban.

Just for your info: Bangladesh won a test series against West Indies in WI. Not many countries have achieved that.
Old November 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
Cricket Legend

sorry it was a bbc link, i didn't realize it. My apologies. F* BBC.
Old November 12, 2012, 02:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Question like that raised by an annoying Indian or Pakistani would result in instant ban.
I do find the question boring and discussed to death - but seriously? An instant ban? Out of curiosity, are you a moderator?

Quote:
Just for your info: Bangladesh won a test series against West Indies in WI. Not many countries have achieved that.
Against a second string side - context bro.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

The more chocolate i eat, the fatter i will get.

The more matches BD play, the better they will get.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup11

Do you deserve to wear underwear?

sorry if it sounds odd, but I feel similar at your/BBC's question.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

At OP - fairly arbitrary IMO - you have to take into account the potential income, popularity of the sport, along with the performance aspect. This team has two world class players along with a bunch of decent ones. And they've had their moments too. Hopefully it's going to get better with players like Anamul, Mominul and even possibly Asif and Shoummo coming up.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
I do find the question boring and discussed to death - but seriously? An instant ban? Out of curiosity, are you a moderator?

Against a second string side - context bro.
context? Man people just want to downplay Bangladeshi wins thats all. None of these articles mention the cheats shoiab aktar was when tampering the ball while about to lose to us, or the cheater weaket keeper latif or whatever his name is taking balls from the ground to appeal for out which was given or the other cheater in Multan try9ing to steal runs when 1 wicket away from defeat. people count that as a loss for bd when writing crap articles like that. But we know exactly what happened.

Regarding west indies, it was then their best 11 that fielding. There is no such a thing as second string team. WI A would be a second string team. They represented West indies in that series. If Shakib and Tamim says, we quit and Bangladesh goes and loses all the games, no body is gonna accept an excuse, it's a second string bd team you defeated, so it doesn't count.

So stop believing all the bullcrap people write or say. bangladesh whitewashed a series in West Indies home ground that most countries have failed in their cricket history. That is a great achievement.....and people need to acknowledge that. If you gonna put your OPINIon (Asterick) next to that series, then I wans asterics next to Pakistani win against us, because they took that series away from us by cheating. Let's be fair.

And Let's respect Bangladesh team. Cricket is so much more colorful because of us.. it's a dying game.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz

no I am not a moderator, and everyone should be thankful for that. That was my opinion it should be an instant ban because 99% of the time, it would be troll trying to rile up ppl. You don't go to a poor man's house and mock how his house looks, you are a guest there and it's his house. period!
Old November 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

You can't give the answer at once. You should calculate many things to make a answer. Their past performance, present situation, future, their crowd, passion to the game. If you think everything, the answer will come 'yes'.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
no I am not a moderator, and everyone should be thankful for that. That was my opinion it should be an instant ban because 99% of the time, it would be troll trying to rile up ppl. You don't go to a poor man's house and mock how his house looks, you are a guest there and it's his house. period!
If he is a member here, he enjoys equal right of a member in the forum, irrespective of his nationality, it's his home as much as yours. If he breaks any rule, I think there is a capable team of Mods to take care of that.

it's not your business as a member to talk about banning people right and left in public. You can only report if you don't like something. It seems that you are undermining the sense of judgement of the people responsible for doing it. indecent to say the least.
-----
On Topic: this question is being raised by many around the cricketing world and its there even in the minds of ardent BD cricket fans as well. We need to have an answer through our performance instead of arguments.

IMO, we have made reasonable progress in 12 years and the graph is upwards, probably we could have had a faster progress. If the OP could fix up the expected progress in 12 years, that could keep the discussions more objective, you can't expect BD to start beating the established test nations playing test cricket for 100 years or more, in just 12 years.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

something really surprise me, why every one is after BD's test status? why not Zimbabwe? I believe they still have the test status and they are behind us. No body even questioned about west indies test status when the were white washed by BD in their home. Current BD test team is as good as New zeland . New zeland were lucky that they didn't play test with us in their last tour. Lets compare BD with west indies after this series is over....
Old November 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSupporterofBD
something really surprise me, why every one is after BD's test status? why not Zimbabwe? I believe they still have the test status and they are behind us. No body even questioned about west indies test status when the were white washed by BD in their home. Current BD test team is as good as New zeland . New zeland were lucky that they didn't play test with us in their last tour. Lets compare BD with west indies after this series is over....
Hope we can do that...that will be a good situation to be in. Eagerly waiting to see a fatafati performance from TI and Nazim tomorrow, if batting first....

People don't talk about Zim, because they were competitive once, so they can probably do it again, they took a self exile when they fell bellow us, And they have proven that they have improved and are better than us by beating us in their comeback test...
Old November 12, 2012, 08:21 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

[
People don't talk about Zim, because they were competitive once, so they can probably do it again, they took a self exile when they fell bellow us, And they have proven that they have improved and are better than us by beating us in their comeback test...[/quote]

Yes they (zim) have beaten us last time,, but it doesn't mean they are better than us, They are 10th and we are 9th in ranking . Last match we have played with Ind, SL, NZ & WI (in ODI) we have beaten all of them. Does it mean we are better than them in ODI?