facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 31, 2014, 01:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Only Jon Stewart can get away with this (latest episode starts at 1:10)

Old July 31, 2014, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Old July 31, 2014, 01:53 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Jon Stewart is making some powerful enemies in the US.
Did Colbert say anything on the issue? Haven't been following them lately
Old July 31, 2014, 02:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Haven't been following them either, just happened to come across these links on some website. Don't think Colbert has addressed the issue yet. Can't see him getting away with it being a non Jew.
Old July 31, 2014, 02:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The US mainstream media is starting to get more sympathetic to the Palestinians and less willing to give carte blanche to the Israelis.

Consider today's interesting NBC news headline:

Israel assassinates nearly 40 alleged
militants in six-day bombardment

Amid talks of a truce with Gaza, Israel targets Palestinian fighters. Correspondent Richard Engel reports.

Note the use of the term "Assasinates" - not killed or some other euphemistic apologist term. Of course this is not FOX news but still....
On a somewhat related note, despite all the one sided pro Israel propaganda in the US media, younger Americans are surprisingly much more likely to sympathize with Palestine than Israel compared to their older generations.
For 65+ age group, 60% sympathize with Israel and 9% with Palestine.
For 50-64 age group, 56% with Israel and 9% with Palestine.
For 30-49 age group, 47% with Israel and 15% with Palestine.
For 18-29 age group, 44% with Israel and 22% with Palestine.
Survey was conducted by the Pew Research Center.

So for 65+ folks, for every 6 Israel sympathizer there's only 1 Palestine sympathizer, while for 18-29 age group, for every 2 Israel sympathizer there's 1 Palestine sympathizer. Things are changing although it's gone unnoticed. At this rate who knows where things will stand in 20 years.
Old July 31, 2014, 04:48 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Unless the financing of their political campaign changes i don't think much will change in terms of foreign policy. The lobbying groups are too powerful. Even with their domestic issues the oil and gun companies control the politicians. After so many domestic deaths through gun violence still the US couldn't take any meaningful action against gun control. Israeli lobby is too powerful and anyone pissing them off will get screwed politically. The kind of language the Israeli ministers used to mock the efforts of US and Obama.. the way Netinyahu publicly endorsed Romney during the reelection campaign would have been enough to cause permanent damage between the two country's relations. Still the US will arm the Israelis and US Presidential candidates will visit Israel before every campaign.
Old August 3, 2014, 07:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Agree...Only thing that could change is people's perception. Vast majority of the current US population are more sympathetic to Israel today than Palestine. This ratio could change in the next twenty years as people have easier access to both sides of the story thanks to the internet. That said, due to the stranglehold Israel has put on US politics, our politicians won't be allowed to even criticize Israeli policies let alone change US foreign policies regarding the Middle East in the foreseeable future.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Heard many people swearing and cursing the king of Saudi in 1917 who gave the Jews a homeland in Palestine stating that they are poor. Obviously UK took advantaged and granted the Jews a homeland in Palestine with the Balfour declaration. I don't want to rant about the Arab leaders but most of us know what sort of brains they have. Today another UN school has been attacked and Ban Ki moon has labelled that as a criminal act.obviously the UK government won't say much as they have agreed contractually if you look at history that they will do everything possible to establish the state of Israel.
Old August 4, 2014, 01:16 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

2nd UN School got bombed even though the coordinates were given to IDF.
I wonder if there ever will be sanctions put against Israel.
Old August 4, 2014, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

To be honest I think this conflict overshadows the Iraq and Syria civil wars, which has been much more devastating than the Israeli-Palestine issue.
Old August 5, 2014, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Issue with Iraq and Syria is the situation in both cases is way too complicated for common people to understand. It's hard to tell who is right and who is wrong, who is weak and who is strong...any one party doesn't seem overwhelmingly stronger than the others...which unfortunately keeps lingering the conflict and causes loss of countless civilian lives. In Israel-Palestine issue it's easier to pick a side.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:59 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

I think the disproportionate nature of the conflict is what causes the outrage. The Israelis have an iron dome while the Palestinians have absolutely no protection. I grew up watching the suffering of the Palestinian people and i feel, over decades, they have been totally dehumanized by the media. The dutch lost 200 people and there was a global outrage. The EU came together for tougher action against russia despite the loss of business. Nothing much is happening when a number much more is being bombed to death in Palestine. Even during this onslaught there is only small number of journalists are willing to provide a balanced perspective probably by risking their future careers at the network. The west was very swift to put sanctions on Russia and Iran but cannot and will not lift a finger against Israel. The threat of economic sanctions probably is the only measure that could work against Israel but without America who can do it?
Old August 6, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
To be honest I think this conflict overshadows the Iraq and Syria civil wars, which has been much more devastating than the Israeli-Palestine issue.
I think most of muslims are manipulated by some extremists who use this tragedy to promote their ideas...
Isreal kills 2000 palestinian, it's a crime people should demonstrate...but in Syria El Allad killed nearly 200000 peoples and no one demonstrates, why ? It's muslims killing muslims...
Old August 6, 2014, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I think the disproportionate nature of the conflict is what causes the outrage. The Israelis have an iron dome while the Palestinians have absolutely no protection. I grew up watching the suffering of the Palestinian people and i feel, over decades, they have been totally dehumanized by the media. The dutch lost 200 people and there was a global outrage. The EU came together for tougher action against russia despite the loss of business. Nothing much is happening when a number much more is being bombed to death in Palestine. Even during this onslaught there is only small number of journalists are willing to provide a balanced perspective probably by risking their future careers at the network. The west was very swift to put sanctions on Russia and Iran but cannot and will not lift a finger against Israel. The threat of economic sanctions probably is the only measure that could work against Israel but without America who can do it?
The main reason behind the protest is because of the nature of the conflict : jewish against muslim
Old August 28, 2014, 11:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

www.ijsn.net

Visit the site if possible. What have we done for Gaza? At least they took a stand.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM..
Old August 28, 2014, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
www.ijan.net

Visit the site if possible. What have we done for Gaza? At least they took a stand.
The link doesn't seem to work for me
Old August 29, 2014, 12:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Thought would do some good karma after some sporadic vitriol by giving the right link. Have a good day.

http://ijsn.net/

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 29, 2014, 11:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Sorry Typo. Thanks Zeeshan. Fixed the link now.
+++
Jimmy Carter will speak at an ISNA meeting supporting Hamas front group.

Hamas Front Group? So ISNA is a Hamas Front group now?

LINK
Old August 29, 2014, 04:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Isn't Jimmy Carter seen as one of the worst Presidents in US history, just because he didn't support the typical American narrative of being pro-Israeli and in other issues.