facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 23, 2003, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Default S.W.O.T ANALYSIS-CHEER UP EVERYONE!!

Looks like another loss is certain, PAK needs a hundred more runs. Before we go down the depression route let's all take a moment to ponder the plus and minuses so far and even more importantly
gather up our enthusiasm because the series is not over.
Here is my short SWOT and I know patient Whatmore has got a more insightful list.

Strength- our newly found determination to improve which continues. visible signs of improvement i.e bashar, duration of matches,bigger totals. basically we need to preserve the psychological frame of mind despite constant defeat. Lastly, the figure of Whatmore who is keeping his faith on BD.

Weakness-Middle order still weak and Rajin needs to confirm his consistency; Lack of one world class bowler and batsman of the Lara and Mcgrath type player in our team; Looming captaincy problem; Inability to convert a winning position into a decisive advantage. Learning to go for the kill.

Opportunities-
1- BD's greatest asset will be a staedy supply of talent.
We should have structured framework to groom new talents such as Masri, Ash and Rajin so that they are not left rudderless from one game to another. There are clearly numerous young players who we are blessed with but they need to have inspiring mentors.
2- Take advantage of opponents weak periods. For example, now with PAK we should definetely sqeeze home a win.
3-Capitalize on our new found resoect in Australia. Get more of the team to be exposed to Australian cricket and everything they have to offer. Clearly that series was a great injection to the team.

Threats- What happens to our top order when Bashar leaves? Coping with challenges from other minnows such as Kenya and Namibia.

I hope to hear other people's thoughts to keep things in perspective.

Old August 23, 2003, 12:24 PM
Cricket Legend

The team seems to be on the right track in the post-world cup era, which is what you expect from most post-world cup eras. The team is meeting or exceeding expectations which is a big improvement from the typical floundering it was associated with.

Once the team learns how to compete for 5 days and stay in matches till the end, it will be able to fine tune the more subtle aspects of game - like knowing how a little bowler change decision or a dropped easy catch or a wild shot influences the entire match. As Dileep wrote in Wisden today, cricket is not about "buts" and "ifs".

A big threat is overcoming the apathy and unprofessionalism that has been in the game so far - if you look at various issues like domestic league structure, BCB politics and administration, facilities, individual player approach to professional sports.

Sometimes the presence of one visionary can change things for the better - I think Whatmore will ultimately have more to do with the turnaround than even we give him credit for. One man cannot do it all, but I do hope he has some off-field success in addition to what he is doing on the field with the players.
Old August 23, 2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

this was bangladesh's best chance to win.

trust me pakistan underestimated them in this test but will not for the next game.
Old August 23, 2003, 01:24 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Yes I agree with muddaser.

But I also think that this series is the best time for us to come up with a win in the one dayers or a draw in the test matches.

Because I am pretty much sure of the difference between these two countries and considering this fact, if we can't beat Pakistan now, in this tour, then we won't be able to beat them in the next 5 years.

Now is our chance. But the question is, do the players think so?
Old August 23, 2003, 07:00 PM
Cricket Legend

huh??
Old August 23, 2003, 07:32 PM
Cricket Legend

a double huh?!? I am wondering in light of my previous diatribes...can this sort of logical short circuitry also be attributed uniquely to the people in the subcontinent in general?
Old August 23, 2003, 11:55 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
this was bangladesh's best chance to win.

trust me pakistan underestimated them in this test but will not for the next game.
Pak team is unchanged for the next test

http://www.thedailystar.net/2003/08/24/d30824040431.htm
Old August 23, 2003, 11:57 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

You lost me here:

============================
Because I am pretty much sure of the difference between these two countries and considering this fact, if we can't beat Pakistan now, in this tour, then we won't be able to beat them in the next 5 years.
============================

Just go back 5 years and tell me if we had any Sumon (yes, the same Sumon was there but he was good for 20-30s), any Masri, any Rajin (yes, he needs to show consistency but so far, I'm really impressed) ..... We didn't. Something tells me, 5 yars later, we'll have 2 Sumon's, 2 more Masri's and several Rajin's. I don't see why this would be our best chance to beat Pakistan in the next five years.
Frankly, we might have a Tendulkar, a De Silva and even a Murali.

Maybe, this is the closest we'll get in the next two matches (who says we can't do better?) - but this is surely not going to be our best chance in the next five years. That's an absolute defeatist (sp) mentality and hopefully none of the players will ever get to hear this.
Old August 25, 2003, 08:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I am sure Pakistan will try and improve their performance but hey don't underestimate the tigers. This performance in the first test was no fluke. There was plenty of determination, application and talent in view. My advice to rival countries cricket fans- Stop having high expectations from your team against Bangladesh from now on because you may be in for a nasty surprise!