facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 15, 2006, 03:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default BCCI will not host Bangladesh

Quote:
IT'S GOING to be a long time before Bangladesh play in India again. Following extremely poor response from the spectators for the matches involving Bangladesh, the BCCI is actively considering snapping up the reciprocal system- the guiding principle in bilateral series - with the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

As per the system BCCI is working on, the BCCI will not host the minnows in any bilateral series. Instead, it will send its teams more often to Bangladesh. India visited Bangladesh for a Test series in 2004 and is likely to visit again after the World Cup. Meanwhile, Bangladesh will not play any series in India.

When asked what made the BCCI think of changing the existing system, a BCCI official said it was being done purely to keep the spectators' interest alive in the game. "We have witnessed a poor response from the spectators involving Bangladesh in Champions Trophy and prior to it. Since cricket is spectators' game, there is no point in hosting matches which doesn't even have few hundred people watching it," he said. On the contrary, he said, we will have packed-to-capacity stadiums if Bangladesh play India in their own backyard.

Denying that commercial interest had any role in the move, the official said the Board would get the telecast rights money irrespective of who India were playing. But even after agreeing to what the official maintained, there can't be two opinions about the nosedive the gate-money takes. And given the high pricing of the tickets, it is a considerable loss to even cash-rich BCCI.
But would it be acceptable to Bangladesh Board? "Well we hope they should not have any problems as what we are planning is in the interest of the game," he said.

Besides, he said, it was also in the interest of Bangla cricket as well. "Cricket in Bangladesh will come up more quickly when the teams from outside go and play there rather than them going out. The local standard always goes up when we have better teams coming over," the official said.
http://in.sports.yahoo.com/061015/32/68ici.html

Hell yeah I have an issue and the BCB better not get pushed around by the BCCI like this unless India is willing to come over this November and play us.

Old October 15, 2006, 06:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

As much as I detest the belittling, I have to admit that it makes sense...
Old October 15, 2006, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

the stadiums werent exactly full up when durin the windies, lanka and zimbo matches?????!!!!!
Old October 15, 2006, 06:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
the stadiums werent exactly full up when durin the windies, lanka and zimbo matches?????!!!!!
http://content-www1.cricinfo.com/ci/...ry/261818.html

Quote:
Gayle's 34-ball 41 ended with another casual hoick, but two glorious sixes from Brian Lara finished off the job and continued the Champions Trophy's tradition of hideous mismatches. If not for the lure of Lara, even the 32 folk that bought tickets for this shambles might have had second thoughts.
Old October 15, 2006, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

ar ki bolbo? we need to start beating India ,and soon, even if it is at home.
Old October 15, 2006, 07:07 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

BCCI is strictly a money making profit driven organization. A lot cannot be expected off them. Eitherways if they send teams to Bangladesh its not half as bad... after all Bangladesh gets some much needed money and we get to play more cricket. As long as teams outside the subcontinent are happy to have us its all good in my book.
Old October 15, 2006, 08:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well its plain and simple. India had tried long and tried very hard to get ICC to restrict Bangladesh to playing home matches only... depriving BD from all away matches. They failed to do that in the new FTP and there were also matches that were supposed to be hosted by India with BD. So this time they went shamelessly beyond all the sports-ethics and just came up with a stupid and lame excuse for avoiding to have to host Bangladesh. So many matches even between the stronger teams get played with unexpectedly low spectators all around often. If not this one... they would probably have come up with another excuse. But the moto is not to host BD. BCCI will be paid back for this sort of deeds one day for sure. It is a matter of time now.

BTW... I do smell 'bhara' showing up in this tread again... and hopelessly trying to justify BCCI's move even on this stupid point.
Old October 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Indians only go and see top team plays so didnt expect much from them anyways.

i havent seen seats so empty in any other country apart from india when BD go and play there, even in england its always almost full.

its sad but its reality and we have to stick with it coz it does make sense.
Old October 15, 2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

This is only a reflection of India's aspiration to become the 2nd most capitalist country on the plan...and a little reflection of there growing hubris as well.
Old October 15, 2006, 08:36 AM
Test Cricketer

BCCI is full of [edit]. They need to promot a game against Bangladesh in india. Instead of marketing a game they discourage BCB to begin with. Did they refuse to host Zimbabwe? They hosted Zimbabwe before. They are violating ICC rule by not inviting BCB. How come ICC is quite about it?

Bangladesh should stop inviting India too. We do not need bigots come and play in Bangladesh.

Last edited by chinaman; October 15, 2006 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: mod.content
Old October 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar
Smile What can we do?

Only BD's consistant performance in an above average level will be the response to BCCI.Then Indian team will not be invited in BD.

Last edited by chinaman; October 15, 2006 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: mod.content. Please avoid unnecessary formating, Thanks.
Old October 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit
This is only a reflection of India's aspiration to become the 2nd most capitalist country on the plan...and a little reflection of there growing hubris as well.
There is end to all Imperialism or change in power in capitalist market, otherwise there won't be notion of being 'superior' or working to topple the 'inferior'. But at the end what good it does to both party, only God knows.
Old October 15, 2006, 10:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
BCCI is full of [edit]. They need to promot a game against Bangladesh in india. Instead of marketing a game they discourage BCB to begin with. Did they refuse to host Zimbabwe? They hosted Zimbabwe before. They are violating ICC rule by not inviting BCB. How come ICC is quite about it?

Bangladesh should stop inviting India too. We do not need bigots come and play in Bangladesh.
if BCCI is [edit], ICC is [edit]. and they make one hell of a team. we didn't expect them to host us. they should host south africa and australia more often, suffer some defeat on their homeground and make the falooda of their reputation.

Last edited by chinaman; October 15, 2006 at 11:37 AM..
Old October 15, 2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This actually helps us, we make lot more money hosting any matches involving India, sold out gallaries, huge tv deals, pouring sponsorship.

We make nothing on away series.

Be it.
Old October 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

While I think BCCI is money hungry yes.. Their ideology makes sense.. BCB would do the same to Namibia for example, if we were a good team.. Only when we start winning consistently, will we able to avoid this sort of discrimination..

But until it's there, it's just more incentive for us to try and kick India's behinds when they tour Bangladesh. So, first we have to let our playing do the talking, before we expect BCCI to sway and be fair.
Old October 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Would anyone put his money on a loss making venture? Why is BCCI expected to do something like that for the larger good of mankind or whatever like that? BCCI is not a Govt run organization, so to say. They have to pay their employees and players no matter what. If BCCI make a loss, they cannot pass it to players and employees. If ICC is expecting BCCI to organize more loss making games, they who have to bear the losses instead. Or may be they should take a cut on the profit share in games that make lot of money. You do what I say and bear the loss for me is not an eptable model

It makes sense to both sides to play the series in BD at least for now. BD makes more money and BCCI doesn't lose.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Personally, I don't see why we should be so disturbed if we don't get an invitation to play in India. If India is going to send their team more often to BD, I can live with that. In fact I think that is a really good idea.

We need to take the wicket factor out of the picture and be able to win consistently against teams like India in the homeground. Playing outside the comfort zone once in a while is a good idea and we should welcome the invitation anytime one comes along.

On a separate note, we should play more often against teams that are less consistent than India. In my opinion, the two teams from the big league that we should play more often are Pakistan and West Indies. I think the current Bangladesh team is quite capable of pulling in victories against bigger teams if applied in the field properly. My 2 cents on the two matches against WI and Srilanka - we had a fair chance to win on both the games. We just did not apply ourselves hard enough. (I have seen both the games from beginning to end, every single ball on both innings) WI and Pakistan are easier targets than anyone else. Let's not get emotional, rather get more clinical in executing our strategy.

I completely understand BCCI 's point and fail to endorse Ahmed_B, Shujon or the others who seem to be complaining solely from an emotional point of view. End of the day it is a business venture. And what is wrong with capitalism?
Old October 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganesh
Would anyone put his money on a loss making venture? Why is BCCI expected to do something like that for the larger good of mankind or whatever like that? BCCI is not a Govt run organization, so to say. They have to pay their employees and players no matter what. If BCCI make a loss, they cannot pass it to players and employees. If ICC is expecting BCCI to organize more loss making games, they who have to bear the losses instead. Or may be they should take a cut on the profit share in games that make lot of money. You do what I say and bear the loss for me is not an eptable model

It makes sense to both sides to play the series in BD at least for now. BD makes more money and BCCI doesn't lose.

Fine! BCCI can save their money. No problem. So will I. I just sat and calculated how much money I spend on Indian product. With movies, indian food and grocery it runs more then US $1000 per year. I can asure you that I am not going to spend a single dollar in Indian products untill BCCI invites BCB in India.

I encourage all the tigers fan to watch English movie instead of Indian musicals, eat English and Australian food (which is healthier) instead of Indian spicy stomach burning food. Avoid buying indian rice, spices, groceries from Indian places. Listen to Bengali and english music instead of indian cacaphony.

I wish millions of Tigers fan can restrain spending millions of dollars to Indian products while BCCI save money by disrespecting BCB. BCCI has every right to make money, and I have all the rights to spend my money wherever I want. Trust me it will not be on an Indian products anytime soon.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

it can be a blessing in disguise. we will play more home games and that means more chances to win.fficeffice" />
Old October 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

BCCI is the 'bhai' of world cricket. They try to dominate everything to make profit.

We really have nothing to do against it right at the moment. Only cricketers can change the situation with consistent performances. If that happens, BCCI and every other cricket board will be keen to host Bangladesh.

BCCI is doing someting against the spirit of the game and also against the FTP principle. But all of us know, 'Bhai' can do everything and never considers ethics or law.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Personally, I don't see why we should be so disturbed if we don't get an invitation to play in India. If India is going to send their team more often to BD, I can live with that. In fact I think that is a really good idea.

We need to take the wicket factor out of the picture and be able to win consistently against teams like India in the homeground. Playing outside the comfort zone once in a while is a good idea and we should welcome the invitation anytime one comes along.

On a separate note, we should play more often against teams that are less consistent than India. In my opinion, the two teams from the big league that we should play more often are Pakistan and West Indies. I think the current Bangladesh team is quite capable of pulling in victories against bigger teams if applied in the field properly. My 2 cents on the two matches against WI and Srilanka - we had a fair chance to win on both the games. We just did not apply ourselves hard enough. (I have seen both the games from beginning to end, every single ball on both innings) WI and Pakistan are easier targets than anyone else. Let's not get emotional, rather get more clinical in executing our strategy.

I completely understand BCCI 's point and fail to endorse Ahmed_B, Shujon or the others who seem to be complaining solely from an emotional point of view. End of the day it is a business venture. And what is wrong with capitalism?
It is hard to believe that BCCI cannot attract people to watch Tigers. If you see indian response to Srilanka and Pakistani matches, they are great. BCCI should market Tigers as well.

If India comes to Bangladesh they are taking Bangladeshi taka. So they are making money from Bangladesis. BCCI is not giving the same opportunity to us.

BCCI may make up the lose in India from Bangladesh matches. They are too greedy.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

It was coming..we all could smell it.Now it's being put openly, that's all.BCCI is becoming more and more autocrat with time and they are trying to prove themselves as the controlling body for cricket all over the world.

Many of us are telling that India coming to BD is good for cricket and I do agree.But, the away series for which we are supposed to go to india and play few matches, will those be embursed with same no of matches?That means, will there be a home series in lieu of the planned away series?I guess the answer is no.India will come to play against BD and will just cancel the series against us in India.So, at the end, we will be missing quite a lot matches and will of course be deprived of the chance of playing abroad.Though I hate to say it, but India is trying to push countrywise politics in cricket and I hope sooner or later they are going to pay the price.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:50 AM
Retired BC Admin

This attitude from BCCI has far reaching consequences. Other boards might be tempted to consider similar steps.

A better approach would have been to make a bilateral contract with BCB with a clearcut time frame. Having said that, does India promote us adequately to it's audience?

Bottom line, we should now have more reasons and motivation to beat them on a regular basis. If we can do that, that would certainly be a great progress from us.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

They are simply afraid of losing against BD.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jga
While I think BCCI is money hungry yes.. Their ideology makes sense.. BCB would do the same to Namibia for example, if we were a good team.. Only when we start winning consistently, will we able to avoid this sort of discrimination..

But until it's there, it's just more incentive for us to try and kick India's behinds when they tour Bangladesh. So, first we have to let our playing do the talking, before we expect BCCI to sway and be fair.
Our playing is enough to kick India. They are no ...... or something that we have to wait for certain years and show that we are capable enough. They are bunch of selfish stupids. We dont need to prove anything to them.

Last edited by Tehsin; October 15, 2006 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: language