facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 27, 2014, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey
Default Can't say we deserve Tests Status when we don't know how to play Tests

We have seen a lot of fans crying about how Bangladesh is ordinary in tests and they don't deserve test status. We fans try our best to defend our team and claim that we have improved signficantly.

Yes, skillwise, we have been improving quite a bit but mentally, we are still minnows. We have been playing test cricket for 14 years and yet our batsman don't realize that we don't need to go after every ball. In tests, a RR of 2.5 is as good as 4 given that you have wickets intact. Tamim got out playing a hook shot, Shakib going for a slog sweep, Mominul played a poor shot and what was Gazi thinking, scoring a runner ball 100 in tests yet again?

I hope from the next innings, we start to bat more "sensibly". Test cricket is like an entire war, where a weaker side can beat a slightly stronger team with good tactics. We need that sort of tactics when playing cricket.

Old January 27, 2014, 05:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

We knew about this Test match 1 year ago. Yet, we fail to practice batting on this type of pitch all along.
We know bad umpiring will kill us. Yet, BCB dont do anything about getting DRS.
Spin is our strength. Yet we make pace friendly wicket.
We know draw is better than a loss. Yet BCB makes a seaming wicket.
There was so much time to plan for this Test. It seems coach spent all his time on vacation, rather than working on gameplan.

Bottom line, it is not player's fault. It is fault of team management/selectors, head coach and BCB.
Old January 27, 2014, 05:09 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
We knew about this Test match 1 year ago. Yet, we fail to practice batting on this type of pitch all along.
There was so much time to plan for this Test. It seems coach spent all his time on vacation, rather than working on gameplan.

Bottom line, it is not player's fault. It is fault of team management/selectors, head coach and BCB.
players threw their wickets..blame should go to them as well
Old January 27, 2014, 05:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme

Exuse me brother, disagree about these 2 points. Bad umpiring never really killed us apart from a couple of ocassions. In tests we lose by mammoth margins, and even if the decision goes in our favour we would still lose comprehensively. I have seen Pakistan suffer from a lot of bad decisions yet their fans don't seem to cry all the time. BTW, DRS is quite expensive, so its not going to happen until and unless board members stop wasting the money on bringing food from KFC everyday

And as for the seam friendly thing. Don't you think its about time we start to play more on sporty pitches. If we are going to get rolled over mediocre pacers like Lakmal and Eranga, on these harmless pitches, how are we going to face MJ, Steyn, Anderson, etc. The blame is on our players only.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Really? So who drew a series against NZ who have a better seam attack than SL? Who drew a test and scored mammoth 600+ in SL's turf?

Bad days happen. We had a similar meltdown in the last Test vs NZ before saving the match. The boys are obviously mind-effed with all the latest news going around. I as a fan couldn't get into thisnmatch because of it. Imagine how the boys must be worried about their livlihoods.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 27, 2014, 06:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Fair weather fans like the OP are disgrace to all the pain, suffering, and sleepless nights the real fans go through to support the team. This thread is spitting on the nation no different than some folks dangling from a noose recently.

Shame.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 27, 2014, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

It was a bad day at the office. Unfortunately for us, it comes at a time when everyone is calling for our heads.

The boys have four more days to put things right. Let's hope that they do. I am sure they have enough fight in them.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I guess, all those off field dramas have put pressure on the players. Most of them looked psyched out. They wanted to prove their worth playing too many shots. Except Mushy and Shakib, none looked playing Test match. Our players need to forget this innings and to start fresh from tomorrow.
Old January 27, 2014, 06:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

a bad day at the office, everyone has them. mushy has averaged 50 in the last couple of years (over 45 in the last 3 years), shakib has averaged similar, tamim averaged over 40 in the last year or so (before today's innings), mominul and nasir have done the same. we've now got 5 really solid batsmen with sohag being good back-up. we just need to find a couple more for the #2 and #3 spots, we have naeem as a back-up middle order bat.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

sorry but a "true fan" doesn't react like this.
this is just the 1st innings of the 1st Test match.
1st innings of a test match is not always easy, in the recent series between Pak & Sri , 1st Test Sri were bowled out for 204 runs , 2nd Test 1st innings, Pak bowled out for 165 runs.
These are teams who don't wait 3-4 months to play a Test match.
Besides things could have been different if the umpiring was good, Nasir & Mushy's dismissals were clearly bhua.
IDK about Sak & Marshall's dismissal but not many were happy.

It's sad to see some people are already giving up hope after one bad innings, if we don't have faith & patience to watch till the very end of a match & then open a thread to judge then I think we are just as good as our team or worse actually.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Fair weather fans like the OP are disgrace to all the pain, suffering, and sleepless nights the real fans go through to support the team. This thread is spitting on the nation no different than some folks dangling from a noose recently.

Shame.
You can insult me as much as you want but you cannot deny facts.

Fact is that our players need understand how test cricket really is to be played. Yes it was an off day for us, but it did expose some of the important things like how weak our top order is, and the urge for the batsman to score big runs. Gazi was trying to play hero, and Robiul being a no. 10 wanted to shield a no. 11 batsman who scored a six the over earlier!

Fair weather fan or not, I always try my best to follow all the matches of Bangladesh. Even when we lost to Zimbabwe by a mamoth margin, I watched the ENTIRE test match despite the agony. As a fan I have right to criticize the team, especially when fans have sacrificed so much only to see the team win only 4 matches, that too against Zimbabwe and a WI-B graded team. I have nothing against our ODI performance because we performed well in ODIs, while we are starting to be competitive in T20. It hurts when we are performing like this during crucial moments.
Old January 27, 2014, 08:05 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

its only day 1 and you are questioning our test status knowing how well we played last test series?
Old January 27, 2014, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
its only day 1 and you are questioning our test status knowing how well we played last test series?
Well I am merely questionning whether we are good enough to be "Test-Class" when players don't realize how to play test cricket. Really fed up of seeing our batsman trying their best to get out. Its just not test cricket.

Test cricket is supposed to be about taking your time and bat on for long hours. You see, that is TEST CRICKET. I never said that our players are inept, I am stating that we still have not been able to understand how this format is played. Now imagine a neutral fan tuning in, and watches our batsman plays as if its a LOI match. Trust me, if we played with brains we would have won a lot more test matches.
Old January 27, 2014, 08:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

everyone looks bad when they get out, it's not how you get out, it's how many runs you make before you get out. plenty of quality players get out to caught behind or caught in slips nudging at balls that should have been left, plenty get out to edges, plenty get out lbw, plenty get out to attacking shots to make people think well they was a silly shot to play wasn't it. most test innings also have some luck to them and of course not every shot can be perfect so pretty much every test innings involves a few poor choices with shots and some edges and near misses.

australia had problems with their batting in england, batsmen weren't staying at the crease, they were doing stupid things. australia looked very amateurish in england, then england came to australia and they are the ones who looked like amateurs.

i'm not saying BD is at the level of the top test nations, there are still a lot of improvements to be made and yes one of those is for players to step back, realise the situation and play accordingly more often. but the reason BD has done better recently is because they've done that a lot better lately, granted today wasn't a good example except for mushy and shakib but still there is improvement in that area.

the goal is to play well more often than not playing well, it's difficult even for the best teams to play well all the time, every team has it's lapses throughout a test series, but you want to minimise how often it occurs and make sure you play well for the majority.
Old January 27, 2014, 09:13 AM
Test Cricketer

I hope we don't have too many "bad day" at the office. In our company, upper management can only let one have so many "bad day" before letting go!

Yes, we know it's only the first day of 5 day game, do you not think there's a problem when loosing all the wkts and opponent scoring 60/0, all these happening in 8+ hrs, is some thing to get upset and concerned about?
Old January 27, 2014, 10:09 AM
Cricket Sage

It was indeed a depressing day.

I am not questioning about if we deserve our test status or not, I understand that BCB could have done a better job preparing the team, I understand that some LBWs went against us,....I understand that its just one day.... but still I am depressed for some other reason, the way some of our playeres approched the game and played. That part was too much for me to handle... I had much higher expectation from these players...and there is no way to sugar coat or diverrt blame to others (umpire, BCB, bad pitch, etc).

I hope the players realize that and do a much better job for the next 4 days.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
It was a bad day at the office. Unfortunately for us, it comes at a time when everyone is calling for our heads.

The boys have four more days to put things right. Let's hope that they do. I am sure they have enough fight in them.
Couldn't agree more.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I don't know about Nasir's out but Marshall's and Shakib's LBW decision was the right call. Both ball pitched in line and would have hit the stumps.

Its only Day 1 FGS. You can't question a country's test status just based on one day. Also, you can't compare cricket with other corporate careers and say if you have more than one bad day then you are fired. The two are distinctly different.

That being said, the player were not in Test mentality. Only Mushy played well. Shakib was well..the usual himself. Hope they fight back now!!
Old January 27, 2014, 10:37 AM
Cricket Savant

I am actually in accordance (Not accordion) with mohoramm bhai here!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 27, 2014, 10:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Can't really blame the OP. He's frustrated as we all are and as fans we expected better and the fact is, we were outplayed by the Lankans. It's understandable since the Lankans just played 3 Tests against Pakistan and drew them 1-1. We on the other hand have not played in a while and the BCL is not Test cricket. So you could see SL was a lot fresher and more prepared compared to our guys.

The problem still remains that we have 3 new batsmen in our 2,3 and 4 spots. Last series our lineup clicked because Mominul was on fire but we can't expect him to continue to fire, he's still very young and developing. Shamsur was a bit streaky and looks to be a guy who could make it at this level but we need to see more of him to make that judgment. I was not really big on Marshall and tbh that hasn't really changed. He seems to be a one hit wonder in our domestics. I'd give him this series and see if he can make it count. If he doesn't hit a fifty, we should look elsewhere. That being said, hope he can strike big next innings. Tamim never looked comfortable and wasn't surprised at his dismissal. I'm confident though that he'll bounce back. Shakib and Mushy fought hard and thankfully got us to a score that I didn't think we'd get to.

Lots of work for our bowlers now. We have to go all out and attack. We don't have a big score to lean back on. We have to try our best and get them down to our score if we want to still have a chance to win this match. Let's hope for the best.
Old January 27, 2014, 11:40 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

This can happen when we are playing a Test after a long break. We will be fine.
Old January 27, 2014, 11:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

This thread comes to me as no surprise in light of our history as a British created ruling class of self-loathers. Unless I'm being a total emo and taking things totally out of context just to channel my inner biatch in a public forum of and for Bangladesh cricket fans, I simply cannot see the connection between "deserving" the test status, and predictably sucking in this particular format of the sport. We're not the first ones to be bundled out for a paltry total, and aren't likely to be the last.

That being said, this type of puerile and trigger happy bullshite from our haters should've been expected in light of our appalling test record since getting the status. BCB has systematically neglected the qualitative development of FC in favor of a local, shorter format league with uberpredictable results. Playing picnic cricket on flat tracks where the likes of Mohammad Nazimuddin score"FC" double hundreds and bowlers get sissified into submission won't do it for us. Being India or Sri Lanka-type home condition bullies won't either because eventually we have to play on bouncier tracks and compete.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; January 29, 2014 at 04:30 AM..
Old January 27, 2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

It's the difference between playing on cement wicket and a bit of sporting wicket. If our players play on sporting wicket we the fans will wet out pants seeing us get bowled out for 80. U don't improve just because u can play on flat track... The wicket at galle was pure cement.... The last series draw was soo flat that even a retired Kallis or Tendulkar will score century.. Even if Dravid and all those retired make a team and play us one of them will score a century and trash us right left and straight. Make a team of ( Tendulkar, Pointing, Dravid, Lee, Warne) we would still lose, fact.
Old January 27, 2014, 12:36 PM

> Bangladesh 350 runs = We are world beaters, India better starts batting practice...

> Bangladesh 242 runs = We don't deserve test status

__________________________________________________ _____

1st Test: Australia v England at Brisbane - Nov 21-24, 2013
Australia 295 and 401/7d; England 136 and 179 (81.1 ov, target: 561)
Australia won by 381 runs
Scorecard | Commentary | Article index (52) | Photo index (113)

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide - Dec 5-9, 2013
Australia 570/9d and 132/3d; England 172 and 312 (101.4 ov, target: 531)
Australia won by 218 runs
Scorecard | Commentary | Article index (43) | Photo index (115)

5th Test: Australia v England at Sydney - Jan 3-5, 2014
Australia 326 and 276; England 155 and 166 (31.4 ov, target: 448)
Australia won by 281 runs
Scorecard | Commentary | Article index (26) | Photo index (79)

***BREAKING NEWS: ICC thinking to take away England's test status!!!
Old January 27, 2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

It's funny^ ever heard of something called Ashes? Where many strange things has gone wrong.. Australia is the home team bro.. If England scored 150+ in Australia then I guess our starts will close the eye and score 500+ oops I mean get bowled for less than 50. Please don't compare others to us it's a disrespect. Our failure is more with our domestic structure than the players themselves. They have been batting the whole life on wickets made out of cement