facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

PGW was awesome... one of a kind...

Old October 19, 2003, 01:06 AM
Forever Bangy

Nascer you give me way too much credit but using my so-called intelligence i typed into google 'Jeeves character book' and found out that your PGW is Wodehouse. so there i've got the name- and..uh..there seem to be quite a number of books and through my (not very)extensive research i've found that it starts off with 'The Inimitable Jeeves' if this is wrong can you please tell me what it is. Thanks.
Old October 20, 2003, 02:17 AM
Forever Bangy

lol thanks Nascer. I've just finished Courtenay so next stop is Wodehouse!

Now it's my turn to impose on you and everybody else to please please read The Power of One and then Tandia. After finishing Tandia for the second time, I've realised all over again how exquisite both books are. It pains me to imagine somebody is going through life right at this moment without having read them. So you have to see how important it is that you do....preferably some time soon.
Old October 21, 2003, 12:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Default a few more

There are too many good books. Keeping in mind your apprehension for love set in nineteenth century english country estates, and noting your disinterest in such neo-classics as "bam haater.." by our own orpheus, here are some modern day writers I would recommend:

Philip Roth and Milan Kundera. Particularly Czech writer Kundera's earlier works - The Joke, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Life is Elsewhere and, of course, what many considered the defining book of the last days of communism in the eighties, The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I have been reading many of the South Asian heritage writers, although now there are so many you have to pick and choose. Hanif Kureishi, Pakistani-British, remains my favorite - My beautiful laundretter, Buddha in Suburbia, most of his work ends up in films.

Of the new Indian writers, Arundhati Roy is a cut above. not only for God of Small Things, but also for her regular political commentary in publications such as the Guardian in the UK.

I'll give you a plug for my old schoolmate Sujata's husband Raj Kamal Jha. His Blue Bedspread was critically acclaimed a couple of years ago but you may want Fab to read this first as it is very dark and definitely not PG-13.

Read new desi writers who are winning significant awards - Jhumpa Lahiri in the US and now Bangladeshi-British Monica Ali whose Brick Lane I am reading now. She was shortlisted for the Booker in the UK and maybe has already won it this month?

Because you live in Australia, try Adib Khan's Seasonal Adjustment, which was interesting only because it's a story of Bangladeshi - Australian immigration. Not a great book, but you may like it.

Finally, I like the old VS Naipaul novels - the ones set in Trinidad where he grew up. Some of the most hilarious books I have ever read, try Bend in the River.

Among the American writers and the great coming-of-age novels, of course Salinger and Kerouac which people mentioned, but also Updike (Hotel New Hampshire and Rabit, Run) and Steinback.

This post is long enough as it is, hopefully you are trying Rabindranath in Bangla or in translation.

Let me know if you ever read any of these and what you thought of them. Enjoy!
Old October 21, 2003, 03:23 AM
Forever Bangy

Thanks Rafiq bhai! They all sound really good! Shamefully, I have to admit that God of Small Things is the only one out of your list that I've read! How gorgeous is it?! I always read the 'we be of one blood ye and i' part. it's so cute. and i've just started Catcher in the Rye (sorry Nascer, my school doesn't have a very good Wodehouse collection) which i must admit is very different from what i thought it would be! hell i don't even know what the title means so i thought it would be all intellectual and stuff. it's really good though, but the way he says 'and all' after everything is almost annoying. but it's still good. jesus i wish the match would start...i normally like rain but seriously...

oh and sad news for you yanks...Tandia is not published in America! how you live i don't know...but not to worry! tell me your birthdays and i'll send you one...once i get a job..which will hopefully be soon! anyway Power of One is so run along to your local library!
Old October 21, 2003, 04:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Mona,

Catcher in the Rye surprises most people. Its a wonderful book though.

Rafiq bhai, lots of good suggestions there. I really like Naipaul as well. I have to get a hold of Bend in the River. Haven't read that one. You might enjoy Kazuo Ishiguro. He won the Booker prize in 89 for his book 'The Remains of the Day' (later made into a movie starring Sir Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson)which is one of the most compelling novels I've read. Its brilliant, and wonderfully written. Give it a try and tell me what you think. Also, tell us about Brick Lane once you are done. I am itching to read it.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Sham]
Old October 21, 2003, 07:44 AM
Cricket Legend

How about the Harry Potter Books?... (no, i'm not being silly)
Old October 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Sham,

I bought Ishuguro's Remains of the Day when the movie came out. But I am awful at reading books when I have already seen the movie. So Remain remains unread. There are a dozen others that I have started but not finished - how awful!

Someone said (I think it was in a movie I just saw, although definitely not in Kill Bill) "when we buy books what we are really buying is the time we think we have to read them". So true.
Old October 21, 2003, 10:41 AM
BC Editorial Team

Anyone ever tried James Joyce's Finnegans Wake ?
Old October 21, 2003, 05:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default one more book!

vikram seth's "a suitable boy"
Old October 21, 2003, 08:48 PM
Cricket Legend

pompous, at over 1000+ pages (was it?) don't you think suitable boy is a bit too much for a first read by mona? it was for me, so I was content to just read the reviews, which were excellent... waiting for him to write something shorter that I know I can finish
Old October 21, 2003, 09:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Rafiq

She has actually already read it (a few times in fact, she's absolutely ruined my copy of it!). She's also read an Equal Music by Seth which isnt as long.

A Suitable Boy is very long, and very tiring to read, but well worth the effort.
Old October 22, 2003, 09:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

rafiq bhai! I rest my case...thump!! :P
Old November 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Default What are you reading?

This old thread saved some times. Just dug it out of the grave. But so informative. Although I didnt read many of them, but found awesome while reading " Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. Almost finished reading "Every Second Counts" by Lance Armstrong and Sally Jenkins. One is the border-line fiction of a shipwreck survivor and the other is the true portray of a cancer survivor.

It was amazing to read how Pi managed to dwell with Richard Parker (the Bengal tiger), in the same life boat along with a bunch of hyena, zebra, and orangutan and kept fighting with full faith in God. Loved to read the last few pages of the twists of his story.

Both books gave the accounts not only for survival, but also detail how they conquer their time. Still engrossed in the last few pages of "Every Second Counts". It is amazing to learn how Lance swipe the Tour de France for so many times and won all the odds and accusation. Enough to give you new blood in your vein.

Please keep posted about what you are currently reading. I thought of opening a new thread, then tamed my desire; rather panned this thread out of oblivion full of flavor!
Old November 5, 2006, 02:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Oh wow a thread from three years ago.. great! But thanks for bringing it up. I thoroughly enjoyed my own post.

It was pretty clever...

"Sweet sixteen" by a russian girl name Neet Xis - LMAO @ myself.
Old November 5, 2006, 04:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I love Dan Brown's books..
The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress...

all wonderful grippling thrillers..

anyway, To Kill a Mockingbird is an all-time favourite of mine, together with Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and its sequel, Let the Circle be Unbroken..

the last two are written for kids (which was i was, about 5 years ago..lol), but i thoroughly enjoyed them..i love books that deals with racism and history, yet with good storylines that wont ramble off to 3 chapters of forest descriptions..(in other words, i didnt really enjoy "lord of the rings")
Old November 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Josna o Jonnonir Golpo by H.Ahmed,
This is one of the best book of Humyan...
Old November 5, 2006, 06:59 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Baam haater.. what?.. tsk tsk Orphy

Well, I'm not much of a reader but if anyone is into horror/adventure, or Stephen King, I recommend Island by Richard Laymon
Old November 5, 2006, 07:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by omio
Josna o Jonnonir Golpo by H.Ahmed,
This is one of the best book of Humyan...
I think you got the title wrong. It is জননী ও জোৎস্নার গল্প. The best Humayan book for the last 20 years. But to me his best three are
শন্খনীল কারাগার
নন্দিত নরকে
নির্বাসন
. The first three books wrote by Humayon. He did not reach that height again.
Old November 5, 2006, 07:15 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
I think you got the title wrong. It is জননী ও জোৎস্নার গল্প. The best Humayan book for the last 20 years. But to me his best three are
শন্খনীল কারাগার
নন্দিত নরকে
নির্বাসন
. The first three books wrote by Humayon. He did not reach that height again.
I agree, those books were written as a writer without any commercial viewpoint.

Now a days. Humayun sells the name of the book to the publisher and later writes it. This kind of commercial work will never reach that height again. Same applies to his TV dramas.
Old November 5, 2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

hmm, humayan write really well...
Anisul hauque is simply the besttttttt
Old November 5, 2006, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

বাংলা: পথের পাঁচালী, অপরাজিত, আরণ্যক, অশনি সংকেত, মা

English/Available in English: Uncle Tom's Cabin, A Christmas Carol, 1984, The Lost World (Arthur Conan Doyle), many of Jules Verne's works, Harry Potter