facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 16, 2013, 08:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default 7.8 Earthquake in Iran/Pakistan border - 40 dead in Iran + 5 in Pakistan

I know most of the world is paying attention to the atrocity in Boston(rightly so) but there is another tragedy unfolding today

Quote:
Iran has been struck by its most powerful earthquake for nearly 40 years, with tremors felt across Pakistan, India and the Middle East.

The epicentre of the 7.8 magnitude quake was near the south-east city of Khash, close to the Pakistani border, the US Geological Survey said.

At least five people died in Pakistan near the border with Iran, hospital and local government officials said.

The earthquake struck in the province of Sistan Baluchistan at about 15:14 local time (10:44 GMT), close to the cities of Khash, with a population of nearly 180,000, and Saravan, with 250,000.

Iran's Fars news agency was reporting that Saravan had suffered no serious damage.

All communications to the region have been cut. The Iranian Red Crescent said it was sending 20 search-and-rescue teams with three helicopters to the area.

Mohammad Wazir, a correspondent for BBC Persian in Pakistan, says the quake was felt in the cities of Karachi and Quetta.

It comes after a 6.3-magnitude quake in south-west Iran killed at least 37 people and wounded 850 on 10 April.

Iran's most deadly recent earthquake was a 6.6-magnitude quake that destroyed much of the south-eastern city of Bam and killed some 26,000 people in 2003.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-midd...02#TWEET725344

Old April 16, 2013, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Ya lots of tragedies are going all around the world, iran was hit a week earlier now agian, feeling sorry for them..
Old April 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Felt it pretty strongly in Dubai; many buildings evacuated
Old April 16, 2013, 09:19 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

very sad news indeed
every time i hear of these earthquakes i fear for Dhaka
Old April 16, 2013, 09:31 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

7.8 in dhaka i cant imagine how many people will die
Old April 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
every time i hear of these earthquakes i fear for Dhaka
Same here. A magnitude of 5 can be fatal for Dhaka. Don't know if Dhaka has any sophisticated disaster management system in place.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

the plates underneath us in interlinked with one another, i wonder when is the hour it hits dhaka
Old April 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Same here. A magnitude of 5 can be fatal for Dhaka. Don't know if Dhaka has any sophisticated disaster management system in place.
We would be fine with a 5 - High 6's and low 7's would start to cause disaster.

Quote:
Most urban centres in Bangladesh are ill-prepared for earthquakes due to lack of awareness and unplanned urbanisation, say experts. “Total disregard for the national building code by the builders has left Dhaka extremely susceptible,” said earthquake expert Mehedi Ahmed Ansary, professor of civil engineering at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (Buet).

In a “worst-case scenario”, more than 100,000 people may die and numerous others need hospitalization if a 7.5 magnitude earthquake from the nearby Madhupur Fault were to hit the capital, according to a 2009 study by the Comprehensive Disaster Management Programme (CDMP) under the Ministry of Food and Disaster Management.

Some 400,000 buildings in the country’s three largest cities – Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet – are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes and would be damaged “beyond repair” in the event of a major quake, according to the CDMP study.

Bangladesh experiences minor jolts now and again, most recently on March 18, when a moderate quake measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale shook the capital and nearby areas. But most people continue to regard earthquakes as a minor talking point rather than a looming threat. The reason for this complacency is obvious: Bangladesh has not experienced a major earthquake in over 90 years.

“The last major earthquake with its epicentre in Bangladesh was the Srimongal Earthquake of 1918,” says Prof Mehedi Ahmed Ansary. “This tremor occurred on July 18, 1918 with a magnitude of 7.6 and epicentre at Srimangal, Maulvi Bazar. A lot of damage occurred in Srimongal, but in Dhaka only minor effects were reported.”

Experts say Dhaka has gone 130 years without a major quake while Chittagong has crossed 250 years and Sylhet about 100 years. This “seismic gap” raises the prospect of a powerful earthquake striking Bangladesh sooner rather than later.

“Bangladesh has some major fault lines, including the Dauki fault, Madhupur fault and the tectonic plate boundaries,” says Dr ASM Maksud Kamal, national expert on Earthquake and Tsunami Preparedness of the Comprehensive Disaster Management Programme (CDMP). “Our research shows that a lot of energy has built up in these fault lines over the last century or so. Small quakes have occurred, but the epicentres of these releases have not been along the fault lines where the energy has built up. So the fear is that the pent up energy will be released soon, triggering a major earthquake in Bangladesh.”

There are an estimated 849 major hospitals in these three cities, but most would be damaged or non-functional in the event of a major quake, according to the World Health Organization office in Bangladesh, which has since 2010 funded a health team to conduct hospital safety assessments nationwide.

’62,000 volunteers’

The theme for the annual National Disaster Preparedness Day on 29th March was earthquake and ‘addressed the youth leadership and partnership of youth, teachers and mass people for building resilience’ according to CDMP officials.

The government is recruiting 62,000 “urban community volunteers” to be disaster responders, of which “7,000 have already been trained and given tools to conduct search and rescue operations,” Mohammad Abdul Qayyum, CDMP national project director, told Dhaka Courier.

Qayyum added that earthquake preparedness has been included in the school curriculum through regular drills as of 2004, and the government drafted its first earthquake emergency plan in 2009.

According to Qayyum, CDMP is also conducting training programmes for masons and builders in cooperation with the government’s Housing and Building Research Institute.

“There are also plans to retrofit selected buildings such as hospitals to strengthen them against quakes,” he said.

Experts calculate that from the design stage, it costs an additional 4 percent to make a building resilient against disasters, but such costs multiply after the building’s construction.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:17 AM
Administrator

7.8 is huge. I hope and pray that fatalities are minimal.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Thanx for the info Gladiators
Old April 16, 2013, 10:47 AM
MLC World Series I

Sad news, this was huge.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

May the Lord above reduce the pain and agony of the suffering people of Iran and Pakistan. Suffering from earthquake or a natural disaster of such magnitude is beyond my darkest/saddest imagination. The people of Pakistan, northern India and Iran are suffering from repeat earthquakes in recent years. My prayers are with you.

Regarding Bangladesh and Bhutan being on a major earthquake belt/faultline, I DO NOT know what to say, if and when it hits us, I do not know how to go and find the bodies of my father, little brother, sister and all other relatives and friends and how to properly bury (burial process) them. We, Bangladesh, Dhaka will be devastated.

I cannot fathom the pain and lose the earthquake suffering people of Pakistan and Iran are going through right now. Allah bless us all.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

This is really strong earthquake, I worry this will be devastating for the affected towns and cities.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiators
We would be fine with a 5 - High 6's and low 7's would start to cause disaster.
Have you seen the buildings in Dhaka? A 5 would level 80% of the city and kill scores of thousands if not lakhs. If its a 7 or 8, the whole country will just fall to the center of the earth.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 16, 2013, 11:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Have you seen the buildings in Dhaka? A 5 would level 80% of the city and kill scores of thousands if not lakhs. If its a 7 or 8, the whole country will just fall to the center of the earth.
While we haven't had Dhaka as the epicenter of an earthquake yet, we have in the past 12-18 months felt plenty of jolts that have been between 5-5.5. I know distance makes a big deal, but seriously, a 5 would not level 80% of the city.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cricket Legend

^^ it all depends upon the time period, for a short jerk of 5 secs at 6-7 level quake will be less fatal than a 5 min quake at level 5 ..
Old April 16, 2013, 11:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
^^ it all depends upon the time period, for a short jerk of 5 secs at 6-7 level quake will be less fatal than a 5 min quake at level 5 ..
Quite. I think it's safe to say an earthquake lasting 5 minutes would spell the end of just about every city in the world - I'm not even sure that's possible!
Old April 21, 2013, 03:03 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Another one:

Chinese rescue teams are struggling to reach
survivors of a powerful 6.6-magnitude
earthquake in remote hill villages in Sichuan
province.
Emergency workers dressed in bright orange
uniforms were making their way to remote areas on
foot after roads were blocked by landslides.
Soldiers worked all night to search villages and
treat the injured, while local people slept in shelters
or cars.
The quake killed 203 and injured some 11,500,
state media said.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22237162

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)