facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 28, 2007, 06:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: SHAHID AFRIDI
Thumbs up Sakib Al Hasan & Mushfiqur Rahim have been nominated for ICC award

"Musfiqur Rahim and Saqibul Hasan''
both are the key members of Bangladesh WC squad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Australia captain Ricky Ponting and his Sri Lanka counterpart Mahela Jayawardena have both been nominated in four categories for this year's ICC Awards ceremony.

Eight other players - West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul, the Australia trio of Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey and Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralidaran of Sri Lanka, England's Kevin Pietersen, Shaun Pollock of South Africa and Pakistan's Mohammad Yousuf - have each been put forward for three individual honours.

All appear among the long lists of nominations for prizes at the fourth annual ICC Awards, presented in association with FICA (the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations) and this year set to take place in Johannesburg on 10 September, the day before the opening match of the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 tournament.

The nominations were made by a five-man ICC selection panel led by former India captain Sunil Gavaskar and also including Chris Cairns, the former New Zealand all-rounder, ex-South Africa batsman Gary Kirsten, Iqbal Qasim, the former Pakistan left-arm spinner, and ex-England captain Alec Stewart.

They will be voted upon by a 56-person panel made up of the 10 ICC Full Member captains, the 10 Emirates Elite umpires and eight Emirates Elite match referees and 28 former greats of the game and members of the media.

Ponting, who secured the Cricketer of the Year and Test Player of the Year awards in 2006, has once again been named among the nominees in those categories and also appears among the names for ODI Player and Captain of the Year.

2006 Captain of the Year Jayawardena has a chance of winning that award again this time and, like Ponting, is also up for consideration in three other individual categories.

This year's ICC Awards includes eight individual prizes, including a new one for the Associate ODI Player of the Year.

It also features the selection of the Test and ODI Teams of the Year and the award to the side that has adhered most to the Spirit of Cricket.

The Emerging Player of the Year nominees include Australia fast-bowling discoveries Shaun Tait and Mitchell Johnson, the Bangladesh duo of Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim, New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor and the England pair of Chris Tremlett and Ravinder Bopara.

To qualify for that award a player has to be under the age of 26 and have played fewer than five Tests and/or 10 ODIs at the start of the voting period, 9 August 2006.

The Associate ODI Player of the Year Award serves to recognize and reward the efforts in ODIs of the outstanding cricketer from the six countries outside the ICC Full Members - Bermuda, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, the Netherlands and Scotland.

Each of the six countries was invited to nominate players for the award and the 18-strong long list is the result.

Based on the 12 months between 9 August 2006 and 8 August 2007, the ICC Awards - presented in association with FICA - will take into account performances by players and officials in a remarkable period for the game.

That period includes last year's ICC Champions Trophy in India, the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean, a record-breaking Ashes series and a plethora of individual feats.

Announcing the nominees on Tuesday at the venue for last year's ICC Awards, the Taj Lands End Hotel in Mumbai, ICC Chief Executive Officer Malcolm Speed said he was looking forward to September's ceremony to relive a host of cricketing highlights.

"There is so much great cricket to reflect upon during the voting period," said Mr Speed.

"There was an enthralling and very competitive ICC Champions Trophy in India which ended with Australia securing that title for the first time, as well as an ICC Cricket World Cup that saw Ricky Ponting's side lift the trophy for an unprecedented third time.

"There were runs galore from the likes of Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, Kevin Pietersen, Kumar Sangakkara and Mohammad Yousuf, and outstanding bowling displays by established champions such as Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralidaran and Shane Warne and newcomers like Shaun Tait and Monty Panesar.

Muhammad Yousuf
broke the long standing record of SIR Viv Rechards in 2006
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We had a record-breaking Ashes series, Test wins for India in South Africa and England, and Australia losing its place - albeit briefly - at the top of the LG ICC ODI Championship table when Graeme Smith's side reached the summit in March.

"And as well as the promise shown by Bangladesh in beating both India and South Africa during the ICC Cricket World Cup, we also had a twelfth side joining that LG ICC ODI table when Ireland tied with Zimbabwe and beat both Pakistan and Bangladesh."

The ICC Awards ceremony is now in its fourth year and this will be the first time it has been staged in South Africa. Previous ceremonies were held in London (2004), Sydney (2005) and Mumbai (2006).

The five selectors who have compiled the long lists of nominations can boast a total of 471 Test and 693 ODI caps, with almost 50,000 runs and more than 600 wickets at international level.

In first-class cricket the selectors' combined figures are even more striking, with a total of 81,803 runs and 1,691 wickets as well as 1436 catches (including 721 for Stewart, and 32 stumpings).

The selectors used their knowledge, skill and judgment to assess players' performances during the voting period of 9 August 2006 - 8 August 2007.

The long lists they have come up with will be voted upon by the ICC voting academy. For the Spirit of Cricket Award, the ICC voting academy can select from any of the 16 teams that play ODI cricket - the ten ICC Full Members and six Associates.

The nominations for Umpire of the Year are made by ICC management.

In the light of all the action from the 12 months under consideration, Mr Speed admitted he was relieved it was not his job to pick the winners in each category.

"I do not envy the task of the ICC voting academy," he said.

"For each of those 56 people (in the academy) to pick their top three performers in each category will be really tough.

"I certainly would not like to try and predict a winner or even a favourite for any of the awards this year," he added.

The long lists will be reduced to final shortlists on or around 4 September.

The five ICC selectors will also choose the Test and ODI Teams of the Year.

For the Women's Cricketer of the Year, each ICC Member that played international cricket during the voting period is eligible to nominate two players.

The resultant list is then voted upon by an academy of 17 leading former players and influential figures in the women's game including members of the media.

Further details and announcements will be made as the date for this year's ICC Awards draws nearer.

The ICC wishes to thank its commercial partners for the ICC Awards, LG and Swarovski (manufacturers of each ICC Award), and its broadcast partner ESPN STAR Sports.

ICC Awards 2007

Long List of Nominees - Individual Awards (each category to be reduced to a shortlist on or around 4 September)

Test Player
Mohammad Asif (Pak), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Zaheer Khan (Ind), Anil Kumble (Ind), Brian Lara (WI), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Makhaya Ntini (SA), Monty Panesar (Eng), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL) Ryan Sidebottom (Eng), Shane Warne (Aus), Mohammad Yousuf (Pak).

ODI Player

Shane Bond (NZ), Mark Boucher (SA) Nathan Bracken (Aus), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Michael Clarke (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Brett Lee (Aus), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Jacob Oram (NZ), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Yuvraj Singh (Ind), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Emerging Player
Ravinder Bopara (Eng), Shakib Al Hasan (Bang), Mitchell Johnson (Aus), Mushfiqur Rahim (Bang), Shaun Tait (Aus), Ross Taylor (NZ), Chris Tremlett (Eng).

Cricketer of the Year

Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Captain of the Year
Mahela Jayawardene (SL), Ricky Ponting (Aus).

Associate ODI Player of the Year
Ashish Bagai (Can), Andre Botha (Ire), John Davison (Can), Trent Johnston (Ire), Dwayne Leverock (Ber), Kyle McCallan (Ire), Tanmay Mishra (Ken), Eoin Morgan (Ire), Ashif Mulla (Can), Niall O'Brien (Ire), Thomas Odoyo (Ken), Peter Ongondo (Ken), Irving Romaine (Ber), Abdool Samad (Can), Ryan Ten Doeschate (Neth), Steve Tikolo (Ken), Hiren Varaiya (Ken), Ryan Watson (Sco).

Umpire of the Year
Mark Benson, Steve Bucknor, Daryl Harper, Simon Taufel.

Women's Cricketer of the Year
Caitriona Beggs (Ire), Holly Colvin (Eng), Rumeli Dhar (Ind), Maria Fahey (NZ), Jhulan Goswami (Ind), Ashlyn Kilowan (SA), Johmari Logtenberg (SA), Urooj Mumtaz Khan (Pak), Shelley Nitschke (Aus), Rebecca Rolls (NZ), Sajida Shah (Pak), Lisa Sthalekar (Aus), Claire Taylor (Eng).

Source: www.icc-cricket.com

Last edited by abdulrahee; August 28, 2007 at 07:04 AM..

Old August 28, 2007, 06:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Take that soccermia ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Shakib will be one of the favorites in the merging player category.

IMO, there will be close fight between Shaun Tait, Shakib Al Hasan and Ross Taylor
Old August 28, 2007, 07:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I think Ross Taylor will get the final nod.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 28, 2007, 07:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

I think Saqib n Mushi have very good chance, the display in the WC, has got to count for something...

Last edited by Rumz_01; August 28, 2007 at 07:22 AM..
Old August 28, 2007, 07:59 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Nice, but they won't win it. I hope they do.
Old August 28, 2007, 08:08 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Shakib has a good chance of winning it, since he is impressive on both the bat and ball. All the others seems to be specialized at one thing only.
Old August 28, 2007, 08:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Congrats to Sakib and Mushy for the nomination.

But what happened to ODI nomination??

Even after taking 49 wickets and topping the wicket takers list for the year, you tell me Mashrafee missed out on the ODI player of the year nomination??

Not even among the top 19 who were nominated??

Irrespective of the opponents, he took more wickets than anyone which included a career best of 6-26. He had, almost single handedly ( beside rafiq), spearheaded what is otherwise a mediocre bowling attack of Bangladesh.

I find it quite amusing that he was not even nominated.
Disgrace i say.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I am pretty sure Tait will win it, for getting Australia the world cup.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

hahaha!!
Test: Monty Panesar and Sidebottom?? I would try to get Strauss, Cook or even Bell. How come these two jokers gets ahead of Tendulkar, Flemming, Vass?

Mahir bhaia,
This is what overhyped statistically full of error article can do.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think it will be a fight between Shakib and Tait, but Tait will win it Shakib's recent dip in form is gonna turn out costly.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Shaun Tait gonnna win it anyway.

বাংলাদেশ সব সময় নমিনেশন পায় সান্তনা পুরুস্কারের জন্য।
Old August 28, 2007, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Knockout_U
Shaun Tait gonnna win it anyway.
I guess so.
Nominating Sidebottom in the test is the biggest joke to me.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Shakib, Mushy after SN and Aftab in the last few years. I guess we will continue to have emerging player nominations so long we have a plethora of debutants every year. I would like to see us getting nominated for the real awards ( Test, ODI, Player of the year ). It is time.

Yeah..Sidebottom ? Give me a break. Mash should have been a candidate for the ODI player candidate. Agree.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan!!!!!!!!

I've the full confidence that Sakib will definately win this award....I guess i'll pray 4 this in the Sabebarat's night..........I hope & pray loadsssssssss that he wins this title.......

bestest of luck, Sakib, although he's not watching this right now.......
Old August 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

congratulations to Sakib and mushi... but i feel like every year they will give it to those crap Brits players
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 28, 2007, 10:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Only if either of Shakib or Mushfiq could win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Mahir bhaia,
This is what overhyped statistically full of error article can do.
me complaining against the continuous pickin on SRajesh simply came from the annoyance of having to see it resurface on BC with such regularity. Nothing indicated that I like/agree with what SRajesh keeps doing in his game of numbers. Anyway... ICC's award nominations has its own level of absurd bias, and there's no doubt about that. We've seen it before too.
Old August 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: none other than inzi

my deep condolance to both
now you ask for what
b/c they are put with likes of ravi bopara and tremlate
Old August 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathan
my deep condolance to both
now you ask for what
b/c they are put with likes of ravi bopara and tremlate
yes and sakib and mushy is much talented than bopara and tremlett so you should had said bopara and tremlett has to face the likes of sakib and mushfiq.

Last edited by Dhruvo; August 28, 2007 at 12:22 PM..
Old August 28, 2007, 12:50 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Every year we get two names in the emerging player category, but never win it. I am starting to feel like this is a quota kinda thing, more and more.
Old August 28, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

tait will get it, tho perhaps sakib deserves it more...

goal for next year is to have 1-2 guys get nominated for Test/ODI PoY

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: SHAHID AFRIDI

What a load of B$%^^&!! - Chris Tremlett and Ravi Bopara? on what merit? what have they done?

Lets do a quick breakdown of their stats and see what they've done in the last year.

Chris Tremlett - lets look at his stats:

TESTS

In the 3 tests hes played this year he hasnt done too bad but he didnt have any match winning performances.

*Lords test - took 4 wickets was unable to bowl India out, would have if not for the rain.

*Nottingham test - took 3 wickets 1st innings after India made almost 500 then took 3 wickets when India were chasing. This was his best match performance wise 6 wickets and was the only match they lost.

*Oval test - only took 3 wickets in 55 overs - India scored scored over 800 runs.

averaging 29.6 with 13 wickets in 3 tests.

ODI

This is the format in which he has excelled at this year. Hes played 5 matches and took 3 wickets @ an average of 94.6 with an economy rate of 6.2. Wow thats impressive. ICC must be really short on the emerging player list if hes one of em.

Ravi Bopara - lets look at his stats:

ODI

Well hes only featured in the short format of the game. So hes supposed to be an all rounder yeah?

well hes only bowled 22 overs in the 12 games hes played. Take out the game against Canada in the WC in which he racked up an amazing 9 overs hes only bowled 13 overs in 11 games. Thats 7 balls per game!! all rounder? hes only took 3 wickets in the 12 games hes played and once again you take out that Canada game in which he took 2 wickets hes left with only 1 wicket (which he took in his 1st game).

So now were assuming hes only in for his batting. well lets take a look.

10 innings 199 runs @ 28.4!! scoring just one 50 wow this guy has taken every team apart. Watch out world cricket Bopara's gonna get you!!

It gets me real angry when ECB sorry ICC do anything to get their own in. Ian Bell had a good year last year but did not deserve to win it - most his centuries came against a Pakistan bowling attack without gul,asif and shoaib.
Old August 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

A very good eye-opening analysis Abdulrahee.
But you who, no matter how much we cry foul play...
we aint gettin it...

it belongs to "them".
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 29, 2007, 02:38 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
A very good eye-opening analysis Abdulrahee.
But you who, no matter how much we cry foul play...
we aint gettin it...

it belongs to "them".
Yep! Mijan bhai said it...
Quote:
hahaha!!
Test: Monty Panesar and Sidebottom?? I would try to get Strauss, Cook or even Bell. How come these two jokers gets ahead of Tendulkar, Flemming, Vass?
Old August 29, 2007, 03:23 AM
Cricket Guru

yesh!!!!! two bangladeshi playerz nominated!!!!woooott wooooot!!!! this meanss its time for some serious partying!!!!!! lol