facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old April 12, 2015, 01:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy
Default WC 2018 AFC Qualifiers thread (Bangladesh's road to Russia)

The draw for the 2nd round of the WC qualifiers are due on the 14th of April, this will mark the beginning to our 2018 WC journey. I know that we are the underdogs here, but we have to approach the qualifiers with an open mind, and make the most of it.

This is what the seeding looks like:

- Pot 1 (Teams ranked 1st to 8th): Iran, Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, UAE, Uzbekistan, China, Iraq

- Pot 2 (Teams ranked 9th to 16th): Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Jordan, Bahrain, Vietnam, Syria and Kuwait

- Pot 3 (Teams ranked 17th to 24th): Afghanistan, Philippines, Palestine, Maldives, Thailand, Tajikistan, Lebanon and India

- Pot 4 (Teams ranked 25th to 32nd): Timor-Leste, Kyrgyzstan, DPR Korea, Myanmar, Turkmenistan, Indonesia, Singapore and Bhutan

- Pot 5 (Teams ranked 33rd to 40th): Malaysia, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Yemen, Guam, Laos, Cambodia and Chinese Taipei

http://www.the-afc.com/asian-cup-201...fiers-revealed

I think we should aim to fix more international friendlies with #50-100 ranked sides, (look what India has been doing in the last 5 years- almost all their games are against higher ranked side than them

I think we have a small chance of qualifying, we need a quality striker (Someone like Chettri for India) and a better GK. Seeing our performance in the Bangabandhu Gold Cup, we struggled to actually get shots on target, we need a striker who can deliver. I think we have a decent defence and midfield.

Last edited by anon4567; April 12, 2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old April 12, 2015, 02:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I stumbled across BD-IND game live the other day while channel surfing. We had control most part when I watched. The attack from the wings were good but the finishing, well, there was no finishing.
Old April 12, 2015, 04:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I stumbled across BD-IND game live the other day while channel surfing. We had control most part when I watched. The attack from the wings were good but the finishing, well, there was no finishing.
Exactly right, I saw highlights for the Bangladesh and Japan U23 game, our defence was fantastic, we robbed them any chance of scoring in the first half. But no one could control the ball and lost it easily in the penalty area. I wish we could have a striker like Sunil Chhetri from India.. He is like the Leo Messi of South Asia, he even got an offer from a MLS club. We should try signing as many foreign born players as possible. We don't have anyone who we can rely on to score a goal, on rare occasions we get goals off a penalty.

I think Bangladesh should follow in India's footsteps. We should have a stronger and more well funded premier league, with possible loaned players from EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. We see this in Indian Super League. We need something like this in Bangladesh.

And as mentioned earlier we should play more friendlies with 50-100 ranked sides than playing Sri Lanka and Pakistan constantly.
Old April 12, 2015, 04:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

thing is those players are attracted by the big dollars but in bangladesh we wont have that so it will be very hard to have a league like the indian league.
Old April 12, 2015, 05:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
thing is those players are attracted by the big dollars but in bangladesh we wont have that so it will be very hard to have a league like the indian league.
True, India has a huge population, even if 3% of their population watch football, that's 38 million people, lot of money can be generated. But with Bangladesh, even with free entry to most league matches, our stadiums are completely vacant. If ISL stays, India might play WC in the next 20 years. We need more crowd to support Bangladeshi football, we must arrange more games with strong opponents like North Korea, Japan, Iraq, etc. Just look at the Japan U23 vs Bangladesh game, it was sold out.
Old April 14, 2015, 11:06 AM

Predict the two best -
Group A: U.A.E., Saudi Arabia, Palestine, East Timor, Malaysia

Group B: Australia, Jordan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh

Group C: China, Qatar, Maldives, Bhutan, Hong Kong

Group D: Iran, Oman, India, Turkmenistan, Guam

Group E: Japan, Syria, Afghanistan, Singapore, Cambodia

Group F: Iraq, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Chinese Taipei

Group G: South Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Myanmar, Laos

Group H: Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Philippines, North Korea, Yemen
Old April 14, 2015, 11:08 PM
Test Cricketer

We have almost no chance of qualifying, as we got the hardest group (only 8 group leaders and best 4 out of 8 2nd place in each group go through)

But look at the positive side, our players will play against world class players like Mile Jedinak, Tim Cahill, Massimo Loungo, Mathew Leckie, Robby Kruse, Jason Davidson, Amer Shafi, Odai Al Saify , Hamza Al Daradreh, et al... Hopefully the amount experience we gain from this group will make us a stronger side.

And also the Asia champions, Australia are to play against Bangladesh in Bangabandhu stadium!! who would have ever imagined that.
Old April 14, 2015, 11:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Luckily the first leg of Socceroos vs Bengal Tigers are going to be held in Perth!! The city where I live in! I am excited about this game, will definitely go to the stadium to cheer for the tigers
Old April 15, 2015, 01:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

It's not a bad group at all. Bangladesh needs a good challenge anyways. I am happy with this. It makes sense for bottom ranked teams to group with the very best in the qualifying round. That's all fair and square. Bangladesh playing against Australia will prove a point or two if Bangladesh ends up playing well.
Old April 15, 2015, 02:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

If Bangladesh can somehow manage to be second, then that's a good achievement i think, although there are further hurdles to pass if Bangladesh does end up 2nd to qualify for the world cup 2018.
Old April 15, 2015, 03:33 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

I'm glad we got the hardest group. This will be a huge experience for our players. We will get a clear idea how much we need to improve to qualify next time.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
If Bangladesh can somehow manage to be second, then that's a good achievement i think, although there are further hurdles to pass if Bangladesh does end up 2nd to qualify for the world cup 2018.
2nd would be almost improbable task for Bangladesh, I think our chance of that at this stage is only a mathematical one;

Even if we can come 4th out of 5 teams, it would be a big achievement for us. I don't like our game strategy against stronger teams though. Our coach said before the game against Japan U23 that "Our target is to concede as less goals as possible". We will never win a single game if we go in there with this as our aim.

I think we should play fearlessly, knowing we have nothing to lose. And can only gain massive amount of experience.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Ahnaf, how come Bhutan is playing this tournament? Weren't they a nobody who some how jumped us?
Old April 16, 2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Ahnaf, how come Bhutan is playing this tournament? Weren't they a nobody who some how jumped us?
lol.. mijan bhaiya, yes they were nobody.. But they came here playing extra matches through qualifying round.
Old April 18, 2015, 05:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Our first game will be at home on June 11 against Kyrgyzstan. BFF will schedule some friendly matches before the qualification round begins right? I don't see anything scheduled as of right now.

Old April 20, 2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
As of now, Bhutan is ranked ahead of Bangladesh and Nepal.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranki...e/men/afc.html
Old April 22, 2015, 09:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
As of now, Bhutan is ranked ahead of Bangladesh and Nepal.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranki...e/men/afc.html
And New Zealand.... A team that played 2 FIFA WCs and multiple confederation cups. Seems like a very good ranking system.
Old May 3, 2015, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

We need to focus on football too. This is the mega sport the best and the biggest. More cricket fans if your love you nation please support the football team too... no matter what..... Even the cricket team once was the whipping boys of cricket now look where they are....
From my understandings, BFF doesnt have enough funds, nor football gets much fundings in the nation, so how they meant to grow bigger??? If they had half of what cricket gets trust me Bangladesh will be big team in Asian region for sure.

Hope the boys do well best wishes and duas for this qualifying matches for the World Cup 2018.

Last edited by Mas_UK25; May 4, 2015 at 06:50 PM..
Old May 4, 2015, 10:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
We need to focus on football too. This is the mega sport the best and the biggest. More cricket fans if your love you nation please support the football team too... no matter what..... Even the cricket team once was the whipping boys of cricket now look where they are....
From my understandings, BFF doesnt have enough funds, nor football gets much fundings in the nation, so how they meant to grow bigger??? If they had half of what cricket gets trust me Bangladesh will be big team in Asian region for sure.

Hope the boys do well best wishes and duas for this qualifying matches for the World Cup 2018.
Sad thing is, I have talked to a lot of Bangladeshi people here in Perth (The Socceroos vs Bangladesh WC qualifiers game is in Perth btw), and no one was keen to go watch it, because a $40 ticket is too expensive and Bangladesh is going to lose anyway and there is no point watching.

This is extremely annoying, if you don't stand up and show support for your team during their bad days, then you don't deserve to jump into their bandwagon if they suddenly start doing good. This has applied a lot for our cricket team too.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:50 PM

^ let brazil or argentina come,shobgula underwear sell kore holeo $40 jogar kore khela dhekte jeto

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 5, 2015, 11:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnaf
^ let brazil or argentina come,shobgula underwear sell kore holeo $40 jogar kore khela dhekte jeto

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
There was a time when we beat Brazil 5-0 in a final to lift a multinational trophy. I think none was spared. Germany lost in the semis if I am not mistaken. Those were the good old days. Roshan Ershad (then first lady) came out with flowers to receive these champions. Hahaha!!!
Old May 5, 2015, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
There was a time when we beat Brazil 5-0 in a final to lift a multinational trophy. I think none was spared. Germany lost in the semis if I am not mistaken. Those were the good old days. Roshan Ershad (then first lady) came out with flowers to receive these champions. Hahaha!!!
Bhai it was an under-14 tournament where we sent 21-22 year olds to play! It was the most pathetic age scandal in our history.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Bhai it was an under-14 tournament where we sent 21-22 year olds to play! It was the most pathetic age scandal in our history.
I know; why do you have to burst the bubble? I was having a little fun. That "Hahaha" would have given the indication.

For a month, we celebrated. The whole country. Then came the dreaded video of the finals. Grrrr!!!!
Old May 5, 2015, 01:38 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
I know; why do you have to burst the bubble? I was having a little fun. That "Hahaha" would have given the indication.

For a month, we celebrated. The whole country. Then came the dreaded video of the finals. Grrrr!!!!
Dana and Gothia cup that was.

Some of you are talking about funds. I must admit that i haven't been following BD football closely in a long time. But i have a question. Hope I get a reasonable answer.

I know that BFF doesn't have enough funds but my question is even if we had enough funds, are we even capable of competing at Asian level? Let's not even think about world level now. Teams like UAE, Saudi Arabia got no monetary issues but still they succumb at world level. Competition is immense in football. India with that much exposure and financial support still failing to make an impact.

We are targeting 2022 world cup. Which is ambitious and we need to have a goal. I get that But we are still struggling at SAF level. We should aim for doing good in Asian level rather than world cup at this moment I think. That would be more reasonable. Priority setting e ektu gondogol achey bole mone hocche.
Old May 5, 2015, 09:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Dana and Gothia cup that was.

Some of you are talking about funds. I must admit that i haven't been following BD football closely in a long time. But i have a question. Hope I get a reasonable answer.

I know that BFF doesn't have enough funds but my question is even if we had enough funds, are we even capable of competing at Asian level? Let's not even think about world level now. Teams like UAE, Saudi Arabia got no monetary issues but still they succumb at world level. Competition is immense in football. India with that much exposure and financial support still failing to make an impact.

We are targeting 2022 world cup. Which is ambitious and we need to have a goal. I get that But we are still struggling at SAF level. We should aim for doing good in Asian level rather than world cup at this moment I think. That would be more reasonable. Priority setting e ektu gondogol achey bole mone hocche.
Vision 2022 seems ludicrous now, Change that to Asia Cup 2023 qualification. It's good to have a somewhat realistic aim. I think Ivory Coast Cricket team stands a better chance at knocking out Ireland and Zimbabwe to qualify for the 2019 CWC. If we can qualify for an Asia Cup in the next 12 years, it should be a great achievement for us.