facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default 2011 World Cup Venues Don't Make Sense

According to the Wiki Article re: 2011 Cricket World Cup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cricket_World_Cup , Bangladesh will host 6 games (inc. the opening ceremony and match).

To quote: 'Venue (one from three will be picked): Bangabandhu National Stadium (Dhaka; the stadium was officially handed over to the football federation in March 2005), Narayanganj Osmani Stadium (Fatullah), Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium (Mirpur)'.

The venues to be considered are all situated around Dhaka city and division. Given that travel is difficult in Bangladesh and the prestige factor of holding a WC game (not to mention financial/commercial gain), in my opinion the three games should be spread out over Bangladesh. Sylhet, Chittagong and Dhaka should each host a game. This would also lead to the stadiums/cricket infastructure in Sylhet and elsewhere being given greater investment. Dhaka alkready hogs enough resources as it is.

Old August 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well why should Sylhet get a game under current circumstances? Doesn't make sense.

Unless, of course, there is substantial development in the main stadium up there in the next four years, which can only be good for Bangladesh cricket in general.

Going by what we have now, though, I'd have the games in Fatullah, Mirpur, Chittagong and Bogra, if it doesn't mean too much travel in too little time for the host team, of course.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Personally, I think Bogra's Shohid Chandu Stadium is really nice, and it needs to be made one of the main venues to increase tourism. Moreover, I would like the venues to be in places where there's less traffic. Second venue I'ld definitely go with Chittagong, as that's one of the major tourist attractions of Bangladesh. One should assume that if anyone travels to BD for watching a match, they would love to see the nearby areas...and CTG can serve as one of the BEST locations in that way.

Other things I would keep in mind is, the venues that will get chosen, will almost certainly trigger more funds to be generated for local improvement. That way, you can get some upgrades done in other deserving cities than Dhaka, which will come purely as a byproduct of the process.

Strategic decisions are something I would expect, rather than tactical ones.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

All the six matches in Bangladesh will be played in one venue and its Bangladesh National Stadium(sher e bangla). I read that in some news few months before. You seen in last WC, all the matches of a group played in one venue. BD, SL, Ind, Bermuda.. played in the same venue in Trinidad, samething will happen in Bangladesh.. And I think it will be good as its a huge stadium and easier transportations and it will be fair for all the teams in the group.

As for other venues, I don't think ICC would like any of Fatullah, Bogra or CTG venues other than BNS and Bongobondhu Stadium in Dhaka.. To go to Fatullah, it takes around 2 n half hrs from the city as theres too much traffics. To go tp Bogra, it will take 7/8 hrs from dhaka BY bus, No AIR PLANE. To go to Sylhet, theres no International Venues. And Ctg Venues are easier to visit but since only one group will play in Bangladesh, it will be better to play in BNS.

Last edited by Murad; August 3, 2007 at 02:06 PM..
Old August 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Murad bhai, I don't agree with it though. Venues aren't confirmed until closer to the tournament dates, when things will be finalized. What you probably read about is notes from the initial planning process.

I won't be surprised if major games are played in Mirpur, but I'll be really surprised if everything's played in the same stadium. In that case, every country should have a maximum of 3 stadiums...why spend more money when they won't get used?

Also, I don't think conditions in the Carribean can be compared to conditions in the sub-continent. Last WC was a complete mess-up, mainly due to bad management and organization of the venues. Things are not likely to repeat in the sub-continent.
Old August 3, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Kabir bhai, Venues are already confirmed long time ago.

In the article provided by the thread opener:

Bangladesh: 6 games (including the opening ceremony and opening match)
Venue (one from three will be picked): Bangabandhu National Stadium (Dhaka; the stadium was officially handed over to the football federation in March 2005), Narayanganj Osmani Stadium (Fatullah), Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium (Mirpur)

BCB proposed these three venues and ICC confimed BNS though I'm not so sure, but I will look for that article and will clarify you soon..

Last edited by Murad; August 3, 2007 at 02:18 PM..
Old August 3, 2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

But doesn't soccer have BNS?
Old August 3, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
But doesn't soccer have BNS?
Not anymore, they have Bongobondhu stadium now..
Old August 3, 2007, 03:56 PM

Well inevitably I have a feeling only one stadium from Bangladesh will get the slot for the World Cup matches. Chances are Dhaka Sher-e-Bangla Stadium will be the winner. It is the most financially viable venue given the infrastructure and investments existing there already.
Old August 3, 2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

I reckon the financial gains and improvement in facilities ie. training and stadia, ought to be fairly shared out throughout the country. There is more to Bangladesh than Dhaka.

The Greater Sylhet region has arguably the highest profile on the international scene due to the large expat population in English speaking countries and inward investment. This would tie in well with cricket commercialization. Sylhetis are good at exploiting business opportunities. And we already have the hotels/restaurants etc
Old August 3, 2007, 04:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Not anymore, they have Bongobondhu stadium now..
same fing
anyways im sylheti and proud and i dont see y sylhet should host sum matches. bogra has a way better venue than us and has already hosted international matches. but i feel all the matches will be pl;yed at the shere bangla stadium, and maybe a few in bns if it is available for cricket. fatullah no way cos of the travel. anyways mirpur will be a great venue by then
Old August 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
same fing
and i dont see y sylhet should host sum matches. bogra has a way better venue than us and has already hosted international matches.

Then this will be the opportunity for the govt to build international stadia in Sylhet, innit. It's time the rest of the country did sumink for us.

Bogra is nothing. No airlinks or infastructiure comparable to Sylhet. It only got a stadium becoz one of the scum dynasties ruling BD comes from there.

I've been to S. Rahman and if it is expanded, no doubt would be a great stadium in time for WC.

It is better for Bangladesh not to host any matches than to only host them in & around Dhaka, watched by mostly Dhakaiya crowds and fielding a 'Bangladeshi' team virtually devoid of people from other regions of BD. Look at India and Pakistan, there are a varirty of venues representing the entirety of the nation.
Old August 4, 2007, 12:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS
Then this will be the opportunity for the govt to build international stadia in Sylhet, innit. It's time the rest of the country did sumink for us.

Bogra is nothing. No airlinks or infastructiure comparable to Sylhet. It only got a stadium becoz one of the scum dynasties ruling BD comes from there.

I've been to S. Rahman and if it is expanded, no doubt would be a great stadium in time for WC.

It is better for Bangladesh not to host any matches than to only host them in & around Dhaka, watched by mostly Dhakaiya crowds and fielding a 'Bangladeshi' team virtually devoid of people from other regions of BD. Look at India and Pakistan, there are a varirty of venues representing the entirety of the nation.
yes the s. rahman is nice but if people really want matches out of dhaka then i say travel and airport shuold be made in bogra. m a aziz or cds shold be revamped in chotto gram.
Old August 7, 2007, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Mirpur all in all in 2011 WC
Staff Correspondent

All six matches of Bangladesh and the opening ceremony of the 2011 Cricket World Cup will be held at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, revealed the Bangladesh Cricket Board at an inter-ministerial meeting on Monday.
‘The Sher-e-Bangla Stadium is the only venue proposed for the opening ceremony and the official World Cup matches. The Bangabandhu National Stadium and Fatullah Stadium have been proposed only as alternative venues,’ said BCB chief executive officer Mahmudur Rahman after the meeting.
It was the first such meeting in Bangladesh about the 2011 mega event, which India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will also co-host. India will host 22 matches of the competition including the final while Pakistan and Sri Lanka will stage 16 and nine matches respectively.
Representative from the home, civil aviation and tourism, health, LGRD, finance, post and telecommunications, commerce, foreign, sports and information ministries attended the meeting at the Bangladesh Secretariat.
‘We have only three years left to host the World Cup. But there are numerous issues yet to be settled. They all were discussed in the meeting,’ said Rahman, one of the three BCB officials to have attended it.
‘We have estimated around 1200 beds of five-star hotels will be needed during the World Cup for players, officials, ICC officials and television crews. If we add the spectators who are expected to come here during the tournament, the number will be much higher,’ said Rahman.
‘So accommodation of all these people demands serious attention. We also have to ensure hassle-free visas for the players, officials, spectators and journalists. Both issues were discussed at the meeting,’ said the official.
‘The home ministry has planed to make a safety and security plan for the officials and players and also decided to give them on-arrival visas,’ a statement from the ministry of sports said later.
Bangladesh will take initiative to introduce a SAARC visa so that relevant players, officials, journalists, television crews and fans can travel without trouble to all four co-hosts, the statement confirmed.
The National Board of Revenue will ensure import of television cameras, cables, food and beverage, prize money and the remuneration of ICC officials. Bangladesh Bank will ensure the smooth transfer of foreign currencies.
The ministry of commerce will monitor the legal side against ambush marketing, trade mark and intellectual property rights, decided the meeting.
The meeting also decided to take an extensive programme of tourism to promote Bangladesh during the tournament. Special tour packages will be offered to the overseas travellers while Dhaka city will decorated in a special way, said the official.

newage
Old August 8, 2007, 01:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: aftab,mashrafee and tamim

there is a international stadium under construction in Barisal which will be done by 2008 and it will be able to host WC game as well..and i saw it in the news its gallery is pretty big and nice
Old August 10, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Well look at this bangabundho and a few more stadiums will be held as practice venues
Quote:
The inaugural ceremony of the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup Cricket 2011 will be staged in Bangladesh and the country will host a total of six official and practice matches during the carnival.

Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium has been proposed as the match and inaugural function venue, while Bangabandhu National Stadium and Narayanganj Osmani Stadium, or any other stadium located in the city, have been proposed as alternative and practice-match venues.
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/6233336.html
Old August 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

While IAS is only disturbed by the fact that Sylhet is not gettig any WC matches.... here are the considerations that were taken into account while deciding Mirput to be the venue for all the matches:

1) Security
2) Easier communication for all
3) Standard accommodation facilities for international deligates/visitors
4) All other supporting facilities like practice, press-boxes and so on.

Security and better accommodation/communication played the key role. I cant provide the link now... but this is what I had read about the venue-selection when it was being decided.
Old August 11, 2007, 06:01 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rasel, Mortaza, Ashraful

Yay! Bangladesh is hosting the ceremony. Good economic boost.
Old August 11, 2007, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord AK
Yay! Bangladesh is hosting the ceremony. Good economic boost.
Yeah and people can see how beautiful the country is.