facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 29, 2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Default South Africa in Australia 2012-13

I admit winning an Ashes is more satisfying but to me a Aus vs SA test series is the best in terms of cricketing quality.

A department vs department comparison gives us a better idea about the teams’ strengths and weaknesses I think. In saying that I can’t really keep one team ahead of the other except Australia is little behind in the spin department. Team’s only spinner Nathan Lyon has shown poor form in the domestics this season. In comparison Imran Tahir played his part well in the more recent win against England. SA also have the luxury of having Robin Peterson in the squad who is great turner of the ball. Last time around at down under Duminy’s spin proved to be effective enough to claim top scalps as well. We might see Michael Clarke rolling arms for Australia in time of dire needs but his back doesn’t hold back well when he bowls.

Batting wise both teams have almost equal number of match winners. Although relatively less experienced Cowan, Warner and Wade makes it little unpredictable, the home advantage tilts the balance back on their side. There was a concern about how Ricky Ponting’s long break from international cricket affects his form after he was dropped from one day side last season. Well he has indicated that he enjoyed his break with an unbeaten 162 against a test quality Victorian bowling attack of Pattinson, McKay, Siddle and hastings. But that didn’t stop South African quicks to threaten the old man ahead of the series. It will be interesting to see how ageing Ponting, arguably one of the best hookers and pullers of the game fares against the pace, bounce and swing of Steyn, Morkel and Philander. This series will also decide whether he still got what it takes to be a part of the quest to regain the Ashes next year which he on many occasions mentioned is his sole motivation to keep going at this age. Australian batsmen's weakness again spin other than Clarke and Hussey is a matter of concern though.

South Africa’s batting never looked so assuring with the way Amla batting now. Him along with Kallis, Devilliers and frequent contributions from Smith and Duminy will test Australian bowlers stamina. They have to toil really hard to get to the tail.

What I believe will often make the difference is the tail enders’ batting. And Australia is slightly ahead in this department. All of of Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Lyon can cuase sheer frustration to any bowling attack.

These are the top two fielding sides of world cricket. Expecting some breath taking dives, catches and throws from the likes of Duminy, Devilliers, Warner and Ponting.

The salivating of all is the pace attack of both teams. I can’t remember of seeing such quality fast bowlers facing each other in the recent past. Siddle and Hilfenhaus don’t stack up to be as menacing as Steyn and Morkel but it’s the surprise factor of young Starc, Pattinson and Cummins (later in the series) makes it so intriguing. I am tempted to say ‘there will be blood’.

This series will also see Kallis and Watson, two of the world’s current best all-rounders trying to prove that they worth more than the other in their respective teams.

In all counts it promises to be a tremendous series. And the fact that Aussies have expressed their intention to claim the no.1 test spot back this summer makes it more interesting. I wish there were 5 tests.

Cricinfo

South Africa squad: Graeme Smith (c), AB de Villiers (wk), Hashim Amla, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Rory Kleinveldt, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn, Thami Tsolekile (wk).

Australia squad for the 1st test: David Warner, Ed Cowan, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (capt), Michael Hussey, Matthew Wade (wk), Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Agreed, a Test match between these two teams always represents cricket at its best. Been looking forward to this series for a while now.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Agreed, a Test match between these two teams always represents cricket at its best. Been looking forward to this series for a while now.
Damn...I am not going to be able to enjoy this series. But you summed up my thoughts exactly. I hope that Pattinson and Cummins stay healthy for a long time. With their pathetic spinners, Pattinson, Siddle, Cummins, and Starc could revive the 4-pronged attack that test cricket could use so badly. That would be freaking awesome!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 1, 2012, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Damn...I am not going to be able to enjoy this series. But you summed up my thoughts exactly. I hope that Pattinson and Cummins stay healthy for a long time. With their pathetic spinners, Pattinson, Siddle, Cummins, and Starc could revive the 4-pronged attack that test cricket could use so badly. That would be freaking awesome!
You can also add Watsons name to the list. Pretty much 5 capable pace bowlers. And when needed Clarkey or Warner can bowl a couple of spinners. Im still shocked over what happened with Katich. Even though age has hit him, he has always been a dependable opener with a very healthy average of 45. He would have replaced Cowan as opener any day of the week and he is a capable spin bowler.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Should be a cracking series ! Aus is relatively weaker side on paper but Aussies are always a deadly side at home.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Australia will win the series.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Finally a decent summer! I thought the last summer was going to be good but India were just

Anyways i think there will be some close matches in this series and Australia will really be challenged at home. Good to see Cowan given another chance to prove himself. I also hope Matty Wade cements his position as keeper. But Brad Haddin will certainly keep him on his toes.

I cant wait to see Amla, Philander & Dale Steyn in action.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Really looking forward to this series. Two heavyweights battling it out for the No 1 title. It's set to be a cracker. I'm just disappointed it's only a 3 match series.
Old October 31, 2012, 04:29 AM
Street Cricketer

It will be the great series and Two great team once again play together and I think South africa will have great chance to win test series but Odi series will win australia.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

Default Pacy Australian pitches enthuse Donald

Allan Donald bowled in Australia during the age of Shane Warne. Thus, Test match wickets were straw-coloured and prone to wearing, fast bowlers treasured the few overs of conventional assistance offered by the new ball, and spinners twirled away less in hope than expectation.

More than a decade since he last visited Australia as a player, Donald has returned as South Africa's bowling coach to find that Australian Test pitches now offer bounce, pace and lateral movement in more generous quantities.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/588833.html

Expecting some chin music.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Siddle is proven, so it'll be interesting to see how Pattinson and especially Starc react to all the hype.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 1, 2012, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Siddle is proven, so it'll be interesting to see how Pattinson and especially Starc react to all the hype.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
I have my money on Starc to come good.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:33 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Finally! Haven't seen these two play in a while. Should be good. New era, lots of new faces. But hopefully the same intensity and quality will still be there.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Pattinson over Star. And Cummins, if he is fit. But honestly, Mitch needs to step up. He is going through a Tim Lincecum phase, except it lasting for seasonsssss. On the other hand, SA got nothing to worry about.

It will be a series of who has the worst spinners, and which old bags are clicking.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop

It will be a series of who has the worst spinners, and which old bags are clicking.
That's one way to look at it, you pessimist.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:14 AM
Cricket Legend

1. Dave Warner
2. Ed Cowan
3. Shane Watson
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Michael Clarke
6. Micheal Hussey
7. Matthew Wade
8. Nathan Lyon
9. Peter Siddle
10. Mitchell Starc
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

Its really hard picking the pace attack. The other pace bowler to pick from is Pattinson. I rate Pattinson and the whole Aussie pace attack very highly but Hilfy has bowled well of recent time, Siddle is a mainstay due to experience and Starc is coming off some really good form from the recent Champions League and T20 World Cup. That kinds leaves Pattinson on the outer. But they will probably rotate Starc and Pattinson throughout the test series due to workload.

If Cowan doesnt perform this series then he might be punted for Phil Hughes or Uzzie Khawaja. Ponting has been in good form in the Sheffield Shield so he deserves his place in the team.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
That's one way to look at it, you pessimist.
What I said isn't untrue, but I'm not saying that's what I'll will look forward in this series.

This is my favorite matchup. This > Overhyped Ind-Pak political rivalry.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Australia will like to dish out some serious payback after their 2011 Tour, though they drew the series the first match was just a brutal massacre.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

How they've made sure that at 29, Steyn is much more durable than some in their early 20's:

Quote:
Australia A v South Africans, Sydney

Steyn's masterclass in durability

Daniel Brettig
November 1, 2012

Though modesty caused Dale Steyn to shy away from the assertion that he is the best bowler in the world, it cannot be disputed that over the past eight years he has been the best managed. Despite a method that relies on delivering the ball at high speed with near to maximum effort most of the time, Steyn has missed remarkably few Test matches for South Africa.

Since he became an established part of the team, only two Tests in England in 2008 stand out as major matches Steyn has been unable to take part in, and those were not for any bowling injury but a broken thumb. As Australia's hierarchy wrestle with the matter of how best to develop the talent of their young fast bowlers, notably the increasingly injury-afflicted Pat Cummins, Steyn's example stands out for its good sense and its simplicity.
More: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/589248.html
Old November 2, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Australia A team is doing very well against the South Africans. Alex Doolan scored 151. He is a person to watch out for in the future.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Rob Quiney in for Shane Watson and Josh Hazelwood for Pat Cummins.

"Pat Cummins' loss is Josh Hazlewood's gain. The back stress fracture that will keep Cummins out of the home summer has in turn elevated Hazlewood to Australia's mandatory five-man pace battery ahead of the Gabba Test against South Africa, and may yet see him make his debut in Perth.

Already in Brisbane for New South Wales' Sheffield Shield match against Queensland, Hazlewood was told to remain in town instead of flying home with the rest of the Blues' non-Test players on Sunday evening.

Australia's hierarchy have been keen to have five fast bowlers on hand at each Test match this summer, not only in case of injury but also to allow the youngest paceman the chance to learn from the others. "
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/589784.html

Watson out, Cummins out and Ponting is not 100%. Australia's chances are getting slimmer.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:09 AM
Banned

Default Australia turns to refugee for spinning help

PAKISTANI asylum-seeker Fawad Ahmed has the scalps of a handful of Test batsmen to show for his net session with the Australian team on Monday.
Ahmed was invited to Brisbane to bowl in the nets to Australia's batsmen to assist with the team's preparation because his leg spin resembles that of South Africa's Pakistan-born leg spinner Imran Tahir.
As he waits for news of his application for refugee protection, which is before federal Immigration Minister Chris Bowen, Ahmed shared a net with off-spinner Nathan Lyon.
He bowled to captain Michael Clarke, one of the world's best players of spin, and later came around the wicket to the left-handers.
Advertisement
''They are pretty good, but I bowled all right. Michael Clarke is really good, especially to the spinners, and I really enjoyed myself,'' he said.
''I got a couple of wickets, Matthew Wade and a couple of the fast bowlers, [James] Pattinson and [Peter] Siddle. Matthew Wade I got with a wrong 'un, up in the air, and Siddle just tried to slog.''
Ahmed says he was persecuted in northern Pakistan for promoting Western values as a cricketer and coach.
His claim for protection is supported by Cricket Victoria and Cricket Australia, as well as former International Cricket Council boss Malcolm Gray.
He plays first-grade cricket for Melbourne University, while working in a warehouse, and for Cricket Victoria as a mentor for new migrants.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/...#ixzz2BXeiiNz0
Old November 7, 2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Like Australia's new training kit especially the cap.

Old November 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ You mean you like the Duronto Rajshahi training kit?
Old November 8, 2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Default Langer set to coach Western Australia

Justin Langer will complete his duties with Australia's Test team in Brisbane before an expected announcement of his appointment as the new coach of Western Australia and the Perth Scorchers.

Following the resignation of the WA coach Lachlan Stevens, Langer was approved as the WACA's "preferred candidate" for the job at a board meeting on Wednesday night.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/590317.html

What a timing.