facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 5, 2015, 09:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Sachin Tendulkar wants as many as 25 teams in the next world cup

I think this idea or topic has been discussed here in recent times, still i feel that we need to open a thread about this. As an ambassador for the world cup, this is a very significant statement and hopefully ICC can reverse their decision before its too late. Tendulkar has always been a legend both on and off the field, a very likable character.

One of the finer points raised in the article talks about how Top nations can send their A teams to consistently play against the lesser ranked team, I think this is a fantastic idea which will help pretty much every cricket nation and it will ensure more competitive cricket since more competitive A team structure means more competitive pool-base of players to choose from which will inevitably lead to non-performers getting a free ride no more(most teams in world cricket has somebody that is getting a free ride ).

Quote:
Sachin Tendulkar has called the ICC's decision to reduce the number of teams in the 2019 World Cup "a backward step" in the global expansion of cricket and described the lack of consistent matches available to Associate sides as "unfair".

Tendulkar, an ambassador for the World Cup on behalf of the ICC, told an audience at an exclusive dinner in Sydney that the ICC should instead be exploring ways to expand the next World Cup to as many as 25 teams.

He also suggested Full Member nations should regularly play their 'A' sides against Associates and strive to provide a "fair platform" for smaller cricketing countries.

"I found out the next World Cup would only be ten teams," said Tendulkar. "Which is slightly disappointing because as a cricketer I want the game to be globalised as much as possible and, according to me, this is a backwards step.

"We've got to find ways of encouraging the lesser teams."

Tendulkar also contradicted the views of ICC chief executive David Richardson, who defended the planned reduction of teams from 14 to 10, by suggesting, "The World Cup itself, the premium event, without exception should be played between teams that are evenly matched and competitive."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cric...ry/841887.html

Old March 5, 2015, 10:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

Very Good
I Think 20 team wc will be great.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 5, 2015, 11:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

25 teams? Now that's pushing it. Are there that many teams who are at least on the level of Ireland/Afghanistan/Scotland? I do support a 12 team WC, but I certainly don't want to watch Italy and Fiji getting murdered in the world stage.
Old March 5, 2015, 11:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I think Sachin pushed ICC with a bigger no of 20 so that they are under pressure to keep the no at least at current 14.
Old March 5, 2015, 11:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Probably should be 16 at most.

Pretty sure the likes of Netherlands, Canada, Kenya, Nepal, Hong Kong will really slug it out for the other two spots.

But i think ICC's ODI rules needs serious re-think before thinking of adding any more teams. They are trying to make ODI's more entertaining, T20 like. But i think its increasing gap between the weak and strong.

The 4 fielder rule, 2 new ball rule should be both scrapped. Lots of commentators are also talking abt placing restrictions on the size of bats which can be used. Lots of batsmen go out in the middle with clubs, than bats.
Old March 5, 2015, 11:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Why a ten-team World Cup is right
The sport's top event must be a high-quality affair. It's up to us to ensure that Associates get a fair chance at making the cut for it...

Do I believe that teams like Ireland and Afghanistan have a bright future in international cricket? Yes, I do. Do I want the Associate nations to play more cricket? Yes, I do. But do I want the World Cup in 2019 to include 14 nations or more? No, I don't. Am I contradicting myself by promoting the cause of the Associate nations and yet not favouring their being a part of the world event? No, I'm not. Allow me to explain.

Firstly, the World Cup, in my opinion, does not need 14 unevenly matched teams to compete over a month, dishing out some lacklustre cricket in the process. In any sport the World Cup must be a marquee event, and that must showcase the best possible level of skill. Having teams that have neither the adequate skill nor the exposure to compete against the big guys promotes and facilitates mediocrity.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/843001.html
Old March 6, 2015, 01:00 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I think icc should do 25 team t-20 wc. I am not sure ODI is the right format to spread the game.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I think icc should do 25 team t-20 wc. I am not sure ODI is the right format to spread the game.
This is the answer promote the sport using T20. Increase and make big tournaments for T20 cup and keep ODI to 10-12 teams.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:38 AM
Test Cricketer

There should be 16 teams in the WC in 4 groups of 4. 2 should advance from each group to knockout rounds (no super 8 stage; only QFs, SFs, final, and maybe a 3rd-place match).

They scratched the 2007 4 groups of 4 format because the chances of top teams not progressing to the next round is higher in that format due to fewer games, and when that happens, they lose a lot of $. And I'm sure BCCI played a big part in changing that format. It's sad that $ is the issue here, but it is, and that's how it will be. But 4 groups of 4 with knockout rounds is definitely the best format IMO.
Old March 6, 2015, 09:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naim519
Why a ten-team World Cup is right
The sport's top event must be a high-quality affair. It's up to us to ensure that Associates get a fair chance at making the cut for it...

Do I believe that teams like Ireland and Afghanistan have a bright future in international cricket? Yes, I do. Do I want the Associate nations to play more cricket? Yes, I do. But do I want the World Cup in 2019 to include 14 nations or more? No, I don't. Am I contradicting myself by promoting the cause of the Associate nations and yet not favouring their being a part of the world event? No, I'm not. Allow me to explain.

Firstly, the World Cup, in my opinion, does not need 14 unevenly matched teams to compete over a month, dishing out some lacklustre cricket in the process. In any sport the World Cup must be a marquee event, and that must showcase the best possible level of skill. Having teams that have neither the adequate skill nor the exposure to compete against the big guys promotes and facilitates mediocrity.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/843001.html
10 Team is also pushing it. What about teams like Afghanistan and Ireland? They provide the g8 teams a run for their money. Going by your logic I think a 12 team WC, with 4 groups of 3 teams is the best way to go about this. Top 2 out of 3 qualifies for QF, and the tournament ends in a month.

Plus a 10 team WC would just feel like having a Champions Trophy rather than a WC, and would be extremely boring to watch.
Old March 6, 2015, 09:38 AM
Test Cricketer

I agree with most people here. 25 team world cup would be an extreme measure, and the end result would be Argentina/ Italy getting thrashed by 350+ runs against South Africa.

In my opinion 14 to 16 is the perfect size for a WC, as teams like Afghanistan or Ireland can actually give top 8 teams a run for their money. Top 12 teams in rankings automatically qualify, 2/4 spots are contested for in the qualifiers.

I strongly disagree with a 10 team WC however (might as well have a 25 team WC than a 10 team one). This hugely restricts associate entry into the WC. Think what if this was done in 1999? Bangladesh would never have played in that WC, cricket would never have kicked off in our country. And Shakib would be sitting a job interview for an accountant position at a firm..
Old March 6, 2015, 09:50 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Never gonna happen Sachin bro. And I don't want that to happen either for ODI's. I think I'm ok with 14-16 ODI WC. And 20 or even more for WT20, which btw, I just found out will only be held every 4 years like the ODI WC!! WTF!! WHY!? T20 is shortest version so it made sense it made rounds every two years! There's demand for it! No one wants a goddamn ODI WC! Look at the pathetic empty stadiums!
Old March 6, 2015, 10:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

ofcourse he does, he wishes it was during his time too, he could have inflated his average even more.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:09 AM
Test Cricketer

They should scrap the "associate" and "test" tags altogether. That's so archaic. Just have a ranking of teams and that's all like in football.

With the T20 WC being held every two years, it was more of a "fun event" than a prestigious one. A Test WC instead of one of them would be nice. With top-8 teams in two groups of four, SFs and final. Commercially, it won't be nearly as lucrative, but the cricket aficionados would still follow it.
Old March 6, 2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

When influential people say something like sit everybody sits...up every body stands up....anyway he is getting delusional because of less oxygen in his brain.....I say 10 plus 2 or 4 is good enough....we don't want to destroy the world cup with minnows.......
Old March 6, 2015, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

25 teams? where u gonna get that many from lol
Old March 6, 2015, 04:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

I think the ICC should a form a XI from the associate nations and give them test status so they can play test. Easily, LIKE how the WI is formed, the associate nations can form a test side together, and from them the top players get into the squad. that way the whole of associate will have the feel of test cricket and the valuable experience needed.
Old March 6, 2015, 06:50 PM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
THIS!
Old March 6, 2015, 06:52 PM
Cricket Guru

25 is way too much, 12-14 is fine
Old March 6, 2015, 07:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

How about ICC keeps things just the way they are, I don't care what anybody else says but I love this world cup, i think this world cup has been very exciting so far, every moment of it.

Extreme measures create the other extreme, i think that's why Tendulkar went with 25...
Old March 6, 2015, 09:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

At least 12 teams should play....because Ireland and Afghanistan showed enough their capability..so it won't be fair for them....so I'm sure ICC will see the real fact here....
Old March 6, 2015, 10:11 PM
Cricket Sage

You guys are putting too much focus on the number 25. I think he was just implying a WC should have a lot of teams. He could have said 32 or 50. Key word from that sentence is expand.

I'm all for ICC keeping ODI to 10 team tournament. T20 is the way to spread the game around the world. ICC needs to cut that qualification round out of the T20 world cup and make it a real 16 team tournament. They can use the 2007 ODI world cup format. 4 teams in each group, and top 2 from each group can qualify for the 2nd round.
Old March 6, 2015, 10:24 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
You guys are putting too much focus on the number 25. I think he was just implying a WC should have a lot of teams. He could have said 32 or 50. Key word from that sentence is expand.

I'm all for ICC keeping ODI to 10 team tournament. T20 is the way to spread the game around the world. ICC needs to cut that qualification round out of the T20 world cup and make it a real 16 team tournament. They can use the 2007 ODI world cup format. 4 teams in each group, and top 2 from each group can qualify for the 2nd round.
you know why ICC backed out from 2007 WC format..they are never going back there again, it was a disastrous wc financially for ICC
Old March 6, 2015, 10:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar

Bear in mind a 10 team tournament would see Bangladesh having to play a qualifier to get to the main tournament. And given Bangladesh's tendency to lose frequently to weaker teams, (we lost to Hong Kong and Canada) we might end up not even qualifying for the WC.

Keep it to 14 teams (or at the very least 12).

I fully agree with the point you made about World T20I though. It should happen once every two years, with 16 teams in 4 groups of 4. Top 2 in each groups proceed to knock out round.
Old March 6, 2015, 10:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
I think the ICC should a form a XI from the associate nations and give them test status so they can play test. Easily, LIKE how the WI is formed, the associate nations can form a test side together, and from them the top players get into the squad. that way the whole of associate will have the feel of test cricket and the valuable experience needed.
Would not be a financially viable option. The Caribbean islands are in a close proximity, lower air travel cost, easier for the team to stay together. Maybe ICC should do a one off series with World Associate XI vs Australia/ South Africa..

This is would be my favourite squad then:

1) Willaim Porterfield (C) (IRE)
2) Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
3) Ed Joyce (IRE)
4) Samiullah Shenwari (AFG)
5) Ryan ten Doeschate (NED)
6) Shaiman Anwar (UAE)
7) Kevin O'Brien (IRE)
8) Andrew Balbirnie (WK) (IRE)
9) Shapoor Zadran (AFG)
10) George Dockrell (IRE)
11) Josh Davey (SCO)