facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 18, 2018, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Soccer is one of the most injury prone sports in the world. In relation, basketball is very safe. There is a bias in your argument that you are not able to see. You are naming all American sportsman. And the most Athletic Americans go into popular sports like Basketball or American football, not soccer. Hence giving examples of American sports men to compare basketball or American football to soccer in terms of need for athleticism is a poor analysis.

If you want to give sports to sports comparison you have normalize data and perhaps not look at the most major sports league in the world but perhaps see it at street level.

I think you should not argue so confidently when one you don't follow soccer or you don't play it either.

From my personal experience, i never got injured playing basketball but playing soccer - i was hospitalized three times... once in BD, twice in USA. And these from playing with regular folks on street.

it's not about kicking a ball like a madman.. anyone who does that will not survive a min in the field. the finesses in dribbling, passing, tackling and the tactical movement forward is pretty unmatched in my opinion to any other sports.. least of all a street game like Basketball. American football you can make a case has a LOt of tactics in it perhaps more than soccer but that's also a game half of which is wasted standing and setting up lines...it's short burst of super atheleticism and tactics and break and break and break.

Not real football brother.. u said it 90 mins... no break.

Old September 18, 2018, 01:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I had a lecturer who was quite philosophical.

His theory about hate is when we hate someone due to their qualities, sometimes it’s actually our own qualities that we hate which we see in others.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Soccer is one of the most injury prone sports in the world. In relation, basketball is very safe. There is a bias in your argument that you are not able to see. You are naming all American sportsman. And the most Athletic Americans go into popular sports like Basketball or American football, not soccer. Hence giving examples of American sports men to compare basketball or American football to soccer in terms of need for athleticism is a poor analysis.

If you want to give sports to sports comparison you have normalize data and perhaps not look at the most major sports league in the world but perhaps see it at street level.

I think you should not argue so confidently when one you don't follow soccer or you don't play it either.

From my personal experience, i never got injured playing basketball but playing soccer - i was hospitalized three times... once in BD, twice in USA. And these from playing with regular folks on street.

it's not about kicking a ball like a madman.. anyone who does that will not survive a min in the field. the finesses in dribbling, passing, tackling and the tactical movement forward is pretty unmatched in my opinion to any other sports.. least of all a street game like Basketball. American football you can make a case has a LOt of tactics in it perhaps more than soccer but that's also a game half of which is wasted standing and setting up lines...it's short burst of super atheleticism and tactics and break and break and break.

Not real football brother.. u said it 90 mins... no break.
I played both in high school and college. Soccer definitely requires more lateral athleticism, while basketball requires more vertical athleticism, obviously as you have to jump a lot (for both offense and defense). Both have gotten softer imo, dives in soccer, and flops in basketball. Football is very unique in that way, that taking hits or hitting others is built into the game, so no chance of soft gamesmanship by any players!
Old September 18, 2018, 06:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu

His theory about hate is when we hate someone due to their qualities, sometimes it’s actually our own qualities that we hate which we see in others.
That is true.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 18, 2018, 07:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
That is true.
After hearing this, I have changed my perception of hating others and trying to rectify myself. Not sure how much I have succeeded but to some extent it helps me atleast tolerate others more than I used to
Old September 18, 2018, 07:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu

so you are saying al furqaan likes pure raw breast milk

I don't have all XI but here are few --

1) kombucha tea - local supermarket had a buy 1 get 1 free deal. so I tried it out. it looks disgusting and taste is even worse.

2) when indian/paks mispronounce our players Rahman as "rehman" and Mahmud as "mehmud"..It is rohoman and mahamoood.

3) Bollywood movies

4) apples / tomatoes
Old September 18, 2018, 08:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
so you are saying al furqaan likes pure raw breast milk

I don't have all XI but here are few --

1) kombucha tea - local supermarket had a buy 1 get 1 free deal. so I tried it out. it looks disgusting and taste is even worse.

2) when indian/paks mispronounce our players Rahman as "rehman" and Mahmud as "mehmud"..It is rohoman and mahamoood.

3) Bollywood movies

4) apples / tomatoes
I am not sure how my lecturer's philosophy and al furqaan's taste for pure raw breast milk is related. FYI as far as I know breast milk for adults are haraam.

Some of the commies during the BD SL games was saying Mushfiqur Ramen and Mustafizur Ramen too

And how can we forget Rameez Raja's Saw-maiya Sarcar

Also MUSH-RAFEE is common
Old September 18, 2018, 09:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I've grown up calling it soccer. Thats what its called in America. But as they say, a rose is a rose.

I'm not overly familiar with its rules and tactics, but I do think that when it comes to strategic complexity American football is hands down the king. Cricket is a distant 2nd. How many permutations of different attacking or defensive fielding positions are there in cricket? Hundreds I would imagine.

Soccer is just kicking a ball or attempting I should say to kick a ball into a goal and you can't even use your hands. That is unfair...why on earth would bar someone from using their hands?

Basketball and cricket are exciting sports that require immense skill. Soccer trumps all in terms of endurance but in terms of raw athleticism its either basketball or american football maybe rugby. Football players can run faster, jump higher, and bench press 225 lbs more times than any soccer player so soccer loses the athleticism war there.
I have nothing against any sports. I am sure NFL is great, after all NFL teams are the richest in the world. The only thing I would say is that I am a football (soccer) addict now, in the past I have also been a cricket addict and a tennis addict. I personally rate football as the most demanding of the 3 sports and also most joy to watch.

I am not going to debate is X is better than Y because it is purely personal choice.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

saying soccer is more demanding than cricket or tennis is not saying much.

HOwever comparing it to basketball, american football or even ice hockey gets a lot of trickier. I agree with AF and Roye that for american football you need certain level of athleticism even at non pro level that is not required in the other sports.

cricket is a joke - this is the sports where a skinny guy without any formal training like Mustafiz comes in and destroys most of world's elite criketers. that guy would not last a single minute in a sports like American football. LOL Cricket requires a unique sets of skills and the barrier to play at the elite level is very low and athleticism is not one of the cruicial criteria to succeed.
Old September 18, 2018, 04:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
cricket is a joke - this is the sports where a skinny guy without any formal training like Mustafiz comes in and destroys most of world's elite criketers. that guy would not last a single minute in a sports like American football. LOL Cricket requires a unique sets of skills and the barrier to play at the elite level is very low and athleticism is not one of the cruicial criteria to succeed.
Athleticism and skill are two completely diffferent things.

The skill barrier between amateur (desis in a parking lot) and international cricket is as high as the skill barrier between high school kids 3 on 3 and the NBA.

If this wasn't the case, the US cricket team would have at least qualified for a World Cup qualifying tournament instead of being stuck in WCL Division 3 since time immemorial. And their team is based on immigrants from cricket playing backgrounds.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 18, 2018, 07:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Back to topic.

I thought of opening a thread called "Banglacricket's Most Hated Man 2018 (Vote!)"

So here are some contenders:
  • Zeeshan
  • Kalpurush
  • ToBeFair
  • Rifat
  • Naimul_HD (I have no idea why would anyone even hate him..the man has frikkin Lennon's profile pic)
  • Navo
  • Yankee
  • Roey
  • (This is 2018 so no Dilscoop...rather Dinraat)
  • Other
  • Any moderator

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 18, 2018, 10:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

The skill barrier between amateur (desis in a parking lot) and international cricket is as high as the skill barrier between high school kids 3 on 3 and the NBA.
I am not sure how you are disagreeing with me. That's exactly what I said with Mustafiz example. Fizz was never athletic in the beginning and possessed a set of skill level that was magical at the highest cricket level. So they are defintnely two different things. And I said cricket does not require athleticism like those other major sports.

Skill difference of internatioal cricketer and a local street cricketer may be huge but i said barrier to entry to play international cricket for someone from the street with Unique sets of useful skills is very low. And i used fizz as an example.

I cant think of many other major sports where that is the case. Most of the other major sports require priming from very young age so the barrier to entry is an arduous one.

All those players you see in FIFA world cup are trained for those competition since they are age 6 or 7. the state of Bangladesh football is a good example. Massive talent of ppl but lacking formal rigorous training at age group and hence they are exposed at any international level. Athleticism also is a good discussion here - overall subcon ppl are not athletic.

India over the last few years is improving their fifa ranking because there is a concerted effort to make their team international ready in soccer.... it's not all of a sudden India found sets of great skillful players. And hence this barrier.

In cricket, anatomical defect becomes advantages - Murali, fizz. You can have pot belly and still be a top player...
Old September 19, 2018, 07:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

If this wasn't the case, the US cricket team would have at least qualified for a World Cup qualifying tournament instead of being stuck in WCL Division 3 since time immemorial. And their team is based on immigrants from cricket playing backgrounds.
There are lots of good amateur players actually... Javed miandad famously quoted "there is a Irfan pathan in every streets of Pakistan".

It is impossible for a footballer (soccer player) to be playing in the street one month and than moving to a top european league the next. It never happens. Even the most talented ones are scouted and sent to academy. Where as in cricket there are countless examples of net bowlers turning into internationals in no time. (Waqar Younis being the most famous example)

In my school, we had two bowlers who could bowl over 125kmph easily. Although we never used any instruments but that was according to Opi (Mehrab hossain). At that time most BD national pacers were not much faster than my school bowlers. Infact Sujon was a lot slower and he was the captain.

Finally look at the hongkong team.. They are all amateurs and scored over 250 runs against a semi decent Indian team
Old September 19, 2018, 03:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
There are lots of good amateur players actually... Javed miandad famously quoted "there is a Irfan pathan in every streets of Pakistan".

In my school, we had two bowlers who could bowl over 125kmph easily. Although we never used any instruments but that was according to Opi (Mehrab hossain). At that time most BD national pacers were not much faster than my school bowlers. Infact Sujon was a lot slower and he was the captain.

Finally look at the hongkong team.. They are all amateurs and scored over 250 runs against a semi decent Indian team
There isn't an Irfan Pathan on every street of Pakistan. That is clearly hyperbole. If there were, hacks like Rahat Ali and Sohail Tanvir wouldn't have made it to the national team.

Waqar may have gone from being a net bowler to a superstar...IDK if that is true. But Waqar had extreme pace and the ability to swing the ball. He's a one a million net bowler.

Quote:
It is impossible for a footballer (soccer player) to be playing in the street one month and than moving to a top european league the next. It never happens. Even the most talented ones are scouted and sent to academy. Where as in cricket there are countless examples of net bowlers turning into internationals in no time. (Waqar Younis being the most famous example)
Freddie Adou comes to mind.

But its Very rare for cricketers to go from the streets to the national team as well. Tendulkar and Waqar. But most other cricketers go through U-19 level, academy level, domestic cricket, A team before a senior call up. Thats not just specific to soccer.

Lebron and Kobe went from high school to NBA superstar inside 2 years doesn't mean basketball is an easy game to master for any tom dick or harry.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 19, 2018, 03:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

I think it's settled.Out of the sports discussed here for athleticism: football>basketball and soccer (tied)>cricket

If I include other sports, cricket slides down even further. In the elite level, cricketers will probably have the most fat and least muscle mass. This is irrefutable.