facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 26, 2009, 03:19 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default We are on the right track for big things: Siddons

It has been a terrific last couple of months for the Tigers. The Test and ODI series sweep in the West Indies was followed by a 4-1 thrashing of Zimbabwe in Bulawayo and the Bangladesh team and its players broke and rewrote records along the way. These moments have been particularly special for Head Coach Jamie Siddons who has seen his belief in the young group starting to pay off. The coach summarizes the triumphant journey and looks ahead to the busy future:

CARIBBEAN CRUISE

Yes the tour was a huge success and to win two Test matches (the first for most of us) was amazing. Teams are truly judged on how they perform in the longer version as there is no place to hide and if you don't play well for the five days then you will lose. We have been preparing for Test cricket the whole time. I have been involved with batsmen practicing the skills required to both survive and succeed, mostly handling the short ball and also being prepared and skillful enough to leave the danger ball outside off stump and wait for the bowler to bowl a bad ball.

Our focus on spin bowling and including many allrounders in our team was a bonus as we had many options in the spin department to back up the pure class of Shakib Al Hasan, the best allrounder in the world.

Of course the fact that some of the established West Indies players went on strike when we arrived made our chances of winning a lot more realistic and possible. The cricket we played however was first class and the opening batting of Tamim Iqbal and Imrul Kayes in the Test matches and then that of Tamim and Zunaed Siddique in the one dayers continually set the foundation for the middle order to thrive and make scores that would enable us to win the matches.

I believe that the players though still very young and on the whole very inexperienced, have just shown the wisdom and improvement that comes with time. They have all been together in the team for over 12 months since the departure of a number of players to the Indian Cricket League (ICL), which by the way has been quickly forgotten by many when judging our team! This group is gaining more and more confidence at this level and will continue to improve as time goes on.

Shakib's captaincy was successful although at times his youth was tested and his patience with others of lesser ability in his team tested. He led magnificently with his own performance throughout the tour and I think won three or four man of the match awards and man of the series as well.

SMOOTH SAFARI IN ZIMBABWE

The tour of Zimbabwe was just more of the same I guess with the opposition being a little less experienced and having less match winners than a team like India or Sri Lanka. Zimbabwe expected to win the series but they did not expect us to have such a depth of talent and to have many match winners of our own. Even in the last game when Zunaed was injured, our wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim put up his hand to open the batting and fell just short of posting his maiden ODI century.

We had great performances throughout the tour. Players like Mahmud Ullah Riyad, Zunaed, Mushfique and Dollar Mamud played major roles at times in winning matches for us with both the bat and ball! The more well known match winners like Shakib and Mohammed Ashraful were at times outstanding and made their presence felt over and over. Ashraful is still searching for consistency but his hundred in the first ODI in Zimbabwe set the tone for that series. Tamim continued to show maturity and improvement and followed his maiden Test century in the West Indies with a man of the series prize in Zimbabwe to signal that he was a force to be reckoned with in the future.

WHERE WE STAND

There is now no doubt that despite the negativeness from some quarters following the performance in England in the ICC World T20 this year, this group of players is gaining ground on the big boys of International cricket and they are improving with every series.

We all know that we have a long way to go to be classed as a real threat to the top four teams but they will no longer take us lightly.

If nothing else I hope that all of those who saw fit to criticise this team of young cricketers can now admit that there is definite signs of us improving and that we are on the right track for big things in the future. Young players take time to mature and gain confidence at this level and we have now taken a major step forward.

THE CHALLENGES AHEAD

We have a very big season coming up, especially from the end of December. We have series against Sri Lanka and India, a tour to New Zealand and a home and away series versus England. We also have another chance to perform in the World T20 in May. All of this in the space of just five months! Our next assignment is against Zimbabwe in October and I am sure we will have another very competitive series with the winner being the team that makes the least mistakes and who applies more pressure in the crucial moments of the matches. This is something we are working hard at doing.

We know we have room for improvement in areas such as fielding and in many other departments, however all of this will take time and can not be solved by words or criticism but will be solved by hard work and commitment, both of which this group of players have vowed to continue.

We would all love instant success at all levels but we should be realistic and be enthused by the prospects of this group. I am excited and my experience with the Australian team tells me that our players are on track to becoming a very competitive team.

For now let’s celebrate the team’s latest triumphs and keep supporting them as they grow and attempt to find their way at the highest level.

Source: BCB media release
Old August 26, 2009, 03:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Did JS wrote the article himself? He seems to be a decent writer then.
Old August 26, 2009, 03:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Well and truly said by Siddons. Hope we will go with this momentum and it will be accelerated. The risk factors are:

1. Our players can be over confident. They did it in past but till now there is no sign. may be because of our Captain (Shakib). He is emotionless. Hope media and fans will also show some maturity.

2. Chance of political interference. Success of cricket team is always shown as success of particular political party, who is in the power. However, this chance is very low. Not more than 5%-10%. I expect we passed that era.

3. BCB can be over confident and continue to avoid domestic level. It will definitely be a boomerang and national performance will be affected.

Hope for the Best.

Old August 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
Well and truly said by Siddons. Hope we will go with this momentum and it will be accelerated. The risk factors are:

1. Our players can be over confident. They did it in past but till now there is no sign. may be because of our Captain (Shakib). He is emotionless. Hope media and fans will also show some maturity.

2. Chance of political interference. Success of cricket team is always shown as success of particular political party, who is in the power. However, this chance is very low. Not more than 5%-10%. I expect we passed that era.

3. BCB can be over confident and continue to avoid domestic level. It will definitely be a boomerang and national performance will be affected.

Hope for the Best.

I disagree with you. Coach and players know what they got into and what is at stake. JS pointed out clearly it is long way to go. And political party, specially the rulling party, is not hinderance to the team success as PM encouraged them, provided them incentive and reminded them what needs to be done by the players.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Shakib's captaincy was successful although at times his youth was tested and his patience with others of lesser ability in his team tested..
What does that mean?

So does that mean, there was already some kind of conflict beween him and some players mainly due to his inexperience as a captain and/or his expectaion to get more from his players?

If so, I would like to know who are some of those players who were not happy with his captaincy at certain point in the series?
Old August 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
What does that mean?

So does that mean, there was already some kind of conflict beween him and some players mainly due to his inexperience as a captain and/or his expectaion to get more from his players?

If so, I would like to know who are some of those players who were not happy with his captaincy at certain point in the series?
Na, wicket mic'a raqibul'rey jai gali disey tar kotha bola hoitasey monay hoi. Practice field'a monay hoi aro beshi jhari dai. As for Siddons, he must have memorized all the slang at first go. Must have followed the youtude learning bangla in under 2 mins. (Mav posted one on the Forget section)
Old August 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahms
I disagree with you. Coach and players know what they got into and what is at stake. JS pointed out clearly it is long way to go. And political party, specially the rulling party, is not hinderance to the team success as PM encouraged them, provided them incentive and reminded them what needs to be done by the players.
Misinterpretation of Message. So Sad
Old August 26, 2009, 03:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

time to have a "everything about JS thread"
Old August 26, 2009, 07:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbubH
time to have a "everything about JS thread"
well said!
Old August 26, 2009, 03:54 AM
Banned

Go Jamie Siddons
Old August 26, 2009, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

I dont think Jamie Siddons has anything to do with Bd success, how long he has been coach? if we do a performance curve after he started it wouldnt show a smooth upward trend, rather a zigzag and mostly very poor curve.

there is one factor though and I think that is sakib (and probably shujon as asst coach), but we have won against a very poor WI and a struggling zim, so we cant really judge where we are now. But after those mentioned series we will know, even the zim tour to Bd will give us a better indication, I think zim will provide even more competition in Bd than what they did in their own ground.
Old August 26, 2009, 04:55 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
I dont think Jamie Siddons has anything to do with Bd success, how long he has been coach? if we do a performance curve after he started it wouldnt show a smooth upward trend, rather a zigzag and mostly very poor curve.

there is one factor though and I think that is sakib (and probably shujon as asst coach), but we have won against a very poor WI and a struggling zim, so we cant really judge where we are now. But after those mentioned series we will know, even the zim tour to Bd will give us a better indication, I think zim will provide even more competition in Bd than what they did in their own ground.
Absolute load of rubbish.

Siddons has no part to play in the success, yet Shujon whom has been there a few months is one the main reasons for our improved form?? Ridiculous.

Did you read where Tamim said his recent success was due to the work of JS?? I think he would have more of an idea than many of the Siddons haters on here.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The morning definitely shows its day. We have to wait till the day looms in.
Old August 26, 2009, 06:21 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz

Quote:

Siddons has no part to play in the success, yet Shujon whom has been there a few months is one the main reasons for our improved form?? Ridiculous.

Did you read where Tamim said his recent success was due to the work of JS?? I think he would have more of an idea than many of the Siddons haters on here.

agreed. wen the teams dos good..no credit too siddons..wen the team dos bad..criticise siddons..n not sujon?
Old August 26, 2009, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

you mean where JS said to Tamim "bat well, your mother is watching"........ this kind of inspiration?did flintoff say his success is due to andy flower or to any coach any time of his career? did ponting say his success due to buchanan? wonder what influence js have on other guys, what about ashraful or say shahadat?

there was a news which got leaked to media during the T20 WC that JS wanted the team to score 100+ in first 6 overs, in both matches Bd lost 4/5 wickets within those overs and lost both matches. The same trend continued in WI. Can we blame it on him?
Old August 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:

Very well said, bro.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan

Way to contradict your self there.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Way to contradict your self there.
i pointed out that siddons doesnt have much to do with whatever success Bd got lately and then those successes dont really point to how much progress we got as the opponents were really weak.
Old August 26, 2009, 04:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

There is a butchered version of this on cricinfo, which is predictably full of the usual mistakes: http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/c...ry/422192.html.

For the record, BD is not participating in the champions trophy this year and the World t20 2010 will be in the West indies and not (as implied by cricinfo) in England...
Old August 26, 2009, 05:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
We all know that we have a long way to go to be classed as a real threat to the top four teams but they will no longer take us lightly.
I like this part so we are already a threat to 3 teams above us.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:54 AM
Cricket Sage

He escaped the cripple fielding part.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Bangladesh can't be taken lightly

This article says that siddons said that the recent wins have won respects of top international sides.
I really doubt thet other big sides show us respect even with the recent wins.

Does anyone actually think that big international teams show us respect because i simply think the recent wins hasn't given us anymore respect than before.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/c...ry/422192.html
Old August 26, 2009, 05:57 AM
Cricket Sage

***Awaits a merge***
Old August 27, 2009, 12:27 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
This article says that siddons said that the recent wins have won respects of top international sides.
I really doubt thet other big sides show us respect even with the recent wins.
I don't want to admit it, but you are correct. To earn the respect of the so-called cricket-powers, we need to beat them. No more ধবল ধোলাই will earn some respects. Folks, this is a long process. Australia and England have been playing for a long time. All the other teams have to go through the humbling process called experience. Anybody remember Sri Lanka when they were being steamrolled by all test nations?
Old August 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Anybody remember Sri Lanka when they were being steamrolled by all test nations?
No I don't, what happened!!??