facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Bangladesh Pace Academy

Note to admin: if this shouldn't be here please remove to correct location

HELP US TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

I want to find the next generation of undiscovered, talented fast bowlers. But I need your help.

Having worked with both Dale Steyn and Shoaib Akhtar, I have been fortunate in my International career. Now I seek a brand-new group of pace men to develop into the stars of the future.

MCI (Mavericks Cricket Institute) has set up a fund to make this happen. We want to offer the same world-class coaching for FREE to players specially selected to embark on this most exciting of journeys.

The idea is to scout the players and help them make it to the top.

If like me, you have a passion for cricket and would like to see your own country's players become a fast bowling force, then make a donation - however small - by clicking the DONATE button here http://mcipaceacademy.weebly.com/

I want this to be a "People's Academy" and the money from each country will go back into making that country's players, better. So you CAN at last make a real difference. This will mean that specifically with Bangladesh, I can visit and work with talented players.

To read more about MCI please visit www.maverickscricket.com and check out what we do and have done already.

Meantime, thank you for your contribution. It is well spent.

Best Wishes

Ian Pont

PS. The full page is here: http://mcipaceacademy.weebly.com

Last edited by Ian Pont; December 14, 2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old December 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Nice initiative Ian.

So are young going to take players from Bangladesh to your center in UK? Or are you travelling to Bangladesh to work with them? I think the latter will be cheaper and more convenient.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Ian,
I'd like to contribute but few questions before I do so.

- Are you running this project solely for Bangladesh pacers or in various countries?

- If the answer is YES to VARIOUS countries; then how would you keep track for people's donations as to which country they want to see their donations are spent on?

- Have you done a CBA (cost benefit analysis) to figure out how much a pace academy will set you back?

- Are you planning on setting up an academy from people's donations? How viable is that when cash flow is not confirmed year after year or on a monthly basis? Or is it going to be just a "pace bowling camp" similar to Grameen project?

- Will you try to attract sponsors (I know you have been for a while)?

Too many questions but answers will make potential donors understand; thus motivate to make contribution. Thanks.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:19 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Ian, this initiative could make a big difference and am willing to help. I also have a few questions.
  1. I imagine that donations made using this link will be for BD players only, as stated in your post.
  2. Are you planning to hold "pace camps" in Bangladesh? It will be much more expensive to fly them over.
  3. How will you select the players? And, from where? The bowlers who might really benefit might be in the academy, etc. This might be the most important question.
Old December 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Street Cricketer

Good questions presented. I'd rather see the BCB fund something like this , and just because Ian Pont posts on this forum and has gained your hearts doesn't make him the best person for the job. Pretty much any coach could post here and connect with BC Members and convince them he's the best man for the job. BCB has generally been good about selecting quality coaches (Pybus, Mushtaq, even Siddons and Law)- they've been poor in the execution of it and retaining them obviously but I feel recently they've had Bangladesh Cricket's best interests in mind.
Old December 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Ian, this initiative could make a big difference and am willing to help. I also have a few questions.
  1. I imagine that donations made using this link will be for BD players only, as stated in your post.
I don't see Ian saying the link (to make donation) would go to BD players only, where do you see that? In fact the link does not even work properly.....takes me to paypal but with an error message. Am I missing something?
Old December 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Full 30 days of Charity in Ramadhan, and now new style of donation
Old December 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

I also have some questions

1) Except Steyn and Shoaib, which other player's have you worked and developed? Don't mention BD players, thanks. If you can show me some articles where players mention how u helped them develop will be really greatful, any English or Non English Players current set-up or previous international players?

2) "the money from each country will go back into making that country's players, better.."
can you explain this more please, I am bit confused. If Pakistan people donate, do you mean u will work with pakistani upcoming bowlers?
Old December 13, 2012, 03:24 PM

The full page is HERE: http://mcipaceacademy.weebly.com and the donation link at the bottom works so please use that.

This is a World Pace Academy and each nation would have the opportunity to have it's share of coaching. That will DIRECTLY relate to the amounts donated from each country. As this is a BD forum, the academy relates directly to BD Pacers.

ANSWERS:

1. When you make a donation, you will get the option of sending a message to us. It is here that you should say which country you want to donate to. We will also collate your address (as PayPal is secure) so we will know which country you are in case you forget.

2. Each donation goes to the fund for that country's pace academy, unless you specify.

3. I plan to fly to out and coach dependent upon just how much has been raised. For example, the costs of coaching will be offset by donations so that all the funds go DIRECTLY to making the coaching happen

4. The more is raised, the bigger the project. We are not 'building' an academy but using the funds to coach at existing facilities. The secret is not wasting money on property and land but channeling it into world class coaching.

5. If we wait for the BCB to do this we will all be waiting forever. The idea is to have a "People's Academy" nothing to do with the BCB, so that it can independently run to provide quality coaching and not waste it on a scheme that doesnt work.

6. Sponsors can be involved in this if they wish. My experience is they often only want what suits them and not the students

7. Clearly a collaboration has to be sought between MCI and the BCB to invite players for trial. We will also invite those who have had few opportunities before to be coached. part of what we want to do is educate coaches, too

8. It is better and cheaper for me to be in Bangladesh, than for players to be flown to me in the UK. However, a scheme can be set up to bring players here if the funds allow it

Guys I don't have all the answers, but what I can do is coach people and develop pace bowlers. That isn't happening at the moment. If you wish to do something, or believe there is something you wish to help with please visit http://mcipaceacademy.weebly.com
Old December 13, 2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlafan
I also have some questions

1) Except Steyn and Shoaib, which other player's have you worked and developed? Don't mention BD players, thanks. If you can show me some articles where players mention how u helped them develop will be really greatful, any English or Non English Players current set-up or previous international players?
http://www.maverickscricket.com/what-the-stars-say.php
Old December 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Very Interesting...best of luck.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

awesome initiative! i will donate and help my country!. joy bangla! joy bhongo bhondu! joy ian!
Old December 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Sounds like a phishing email from nigeria
Old December 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

It's better if the players are in Bangladesh rather than going to the UK. Costs will be less, and their focus will be on the cricket and not extra curricular activities.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Not very helpful, bhai. And to compare this project to a scam from Nigeria is extremely distasteful in my opinion.

At least I am genuinely trying to do something about the pace bowlers in Bangladesh. If you don't want to get involved that's fine. But please don't degrade my efforts.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlafan
Full 30 days of Charity in Ramadhan, and now new style of donation
Bad taste....you can stay away or ask your questions to understand. I'm sure you are the first guys to help keep the Chanda business alive in BD, without asking even a question.

I do have questions on the feasibility of the idea. How practical it is in the context of BD. there will be so many obstacles to implement such a project in BD. and there are too many people like the above poster, in every capacity to lay obstacles. Can you face these obstacles, yet maintain a positive frame of mind to implement the project? Do you have any tie up on BD side with someone, who will be out there to assist you?

Last edited by BANFAN; December 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM..
Old December 14, 2012, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

hey Ian, this is a tremendous initiative . and sorry to be a bit selfish. but I am here to seek some advice from you. I am 22 years old and playing 2nd grade in Australia. I seem to Have hit that barrier from where I can't improve by myself. I would like some advice on bowling quick , I have a very side on action , hence getting swing isnt too difficult for me. if you could tell me a fee excersizes to fine tune my body and some drills to help me out , it would be great
Old December 14, 2012, 07:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. When you make a donation, you will get the option of sending a message to us. It is here that you should say which country you want to donate to. We will also collate your address (as PayPal is secure) so we will know which country you are in case you forget.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://mcipaceacademy.weebly.com
Great initiative. Getting the info. of the country from the address may not be a good idea. For example, I live in USA, but I will like to donate for BD. Is it possible to collect the name of the country in one step?
Old December 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do have questions on the feasibility of the idea. How practical it is in the context of BD. there will be so many obstacles to implement such a project in BD. and there are too many people like the above poster, in every capacity to lay obstacles. Can you face these obstacles, yet maintain a positive frame of mind to implement the project? Do you have any tie up on BD side with someone, we will be out there to assist you?
Good question? An alliance with a BD group (for example, Pilot's academy) may be a good idea.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Ian Pont's Project would have been successful if he only focused on bangladesh. Many people are put-off by the explanation of the money from each country will go back into making that country's players, better. Ian if you could remove that bit and say you are solely focusing on Bangladesh Pacers, That will be great and provide better success.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Ian, I have a question- When did you coach Steyn & Akhtar, at what stage of their career and for how long?
Old December 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cricket Legend

I think things will never work like this. You should contact some mainstream companies who would like to sponsor you rather than collecting donations from peoples over internet.

By the way how we can see how much people donated for each countries ? specially for Bangladesh
Old December 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Best of luck Coach. Have read what the stars have to say but, with no offense to you at all, I am not yet convinced. Maybe you are a good teacher who didnt get good students yet. As for Shoaiby and Steyn... they are once in a decade sort of players and I don't think it is fair for any coach to take credit for them. They are just so loaded with natural talent that if they put their head in the right place, which Steyn has done more than Akhtar, then success would follow.

Nazir, Nazmul, Mishra arent even representing the national team as of now.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Also the thread title is misleading. This is not Bangladesh pace academy. This is anyone who pays more pace academy. And there is nothing wrong with that. After all if you are good at something, why do it for free.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Sorry but the thread title is kind of misleading, isn't it?

Edit: beaten by Yasin