facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Sorry Ejaj bhai,
I forgot. Lets see, maradona got one red card. Zizu got two in WC play. Zizu ahead.

Zizu got 4 yellow cards in WC play So did Maradona. Tie.

Yep Zizu is better than Maradona in dirty play.

And scoring goals in WC, lets just not go there.
Cats_eye vai, I think, u really should look into the professional life of Zidane and Maradonna. I will never say, Zidane is better than Maradonna as a player.. he isnt. But. may at the same par with maradonna. But, if u look into the professional career.. zidane won much more than Maradonna. Zidance almost single handly won the world cup for France in 98, like maradonna in 86. But, at club level, Zidane won much more than Maradonna. Moreover, the off field activity is much more prominent .. starting from denying a child to denying to drug. Maradonna was a great actor too.. bnut. i surely didnt consider this when I considered him a great palyer. Many great players got red card too.. this is nothing new. So.. i dont see, why, this is been such a criticising factor??. On the game, its quite possible to loose temper.. and do someting silly. But.. they are never premeditated. Whereas, taking drugs.......... can u even compare???

Whatever, lets not compare this two greats. Both have their immense contrubution to their footballing nation and regarded as national icon. So, who are we to judge???

Old July 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejaj
...But, if u look into the professional career.. zidane won much more than Maradonna. Zidance almost single handly won the world cup for France in 98, like maradonna in 86. But, at club level, Zidane won much more than Maradonna....

Whatever, lets not compare this two greats. Both have their immense contrubution to their footballing nation and regarded as national icon. So, who are we to judge???
Did you not start the comparison with Pele and Maradona?

I just want to let you know, Maradona was a God to the Naples people. He took a Napoli team back to back seasons and made them the champs single handedly. Napoli was close to the bottom of the league.
Old July 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
Test Cricketer

I never compared Pele with maradona. Period.

I compared the prfessional life between Maradonna and Zidane. Not a player. U r mixing up these two. Great player may not have a great success professionally. Ronaldo is a phenomenon.. but .. he isnt that successful professionally. He didnt win much with the clubs. Maradonna did some great things with Napoly two two season. he was also first caught with drug stuff in Naples. He might be God to Naples. but.. he doesnt even come close to what Zidane had achieved in his life. Perhaps.. u can go thought both of these guys career records. U are inteligent enough to understand where is the differnece.

Just becoz, u dont like Zidane, doenst mean, u have to lower him all the time. I never liked Maradonna.. but I never considered him anyting less than one of the greatest players ever to play in this world. He plays football very few could do that. I never doubted how great he was and always speak loud abt him. I surely dont like him. but, his 86 goal against England and belgium.. are ranked 1 and two in my book. So.. I may not like him at all. but. I am surely not an arrogant guy when appreciaitng someone greatness.
Old July 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Cats_eye bhai

Come on. Zidane can be a dirty player but he is one of the best. Admit it. You don't have to like him but you should give him his due credit.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Cricket Savant

I reluctantly admit Zizu is a great player. He truely has magic in his foot. With the same class of Hagi, Brolin. He will be missed for his football artistry. Can't wait to Messi
Old July 12, 2006, 01:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

quoting Dailystar...

Zidane fan dies
from Manikganj

A Zinedine Zidane fan died early Monday in Borongail village of Shivalaya upazila in the district during the World Cup final between Italy and France.

Rajib, son of Zomat Ali Master, died of a cardiac arrest following the sending off of the French captain.
A 28-year-old student of Borongail Degree College, Rajib was shouting in disapproval of referee Horacio Elizondo's decision to give the French maestro marching orders 20 minutes into the extra time and soon he collapsed to death.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Here is a little trivia IQ for u all:

If Spitfire X86 is to Javed Omar
Then Cat's Eye is to Zidane.

have fun u all.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 12, 2006, 09:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Ejaj bhai,
Don't dig up a hole where you can't come out of from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejaj
Oh comon guys, U cant possibly compare Zizu with Tigana or Bates. They were no where near to what this man is. He ranks up in the line of Pele and Maradonna...
What are you ranking here? How can I know the hidden meanings of these words. How would I know you are comparing professional life of Zidane with the porfessional life of Pele and Maradona? Anyone would think you are comparing Zidane with Pele and Maradona on what they did in the football field. not outside.

In reference to that, I posted the yellow card red card comparison of Zidane and Maradona, trying to prove Zidane is ahead of the two greats that you have mentioned only in the wrong category. So, he is not in the league of Pele or Maradona anyway you see it.

Then you stated, "Whatever, lets not compare this two greats. Both have their immense contrubution to their footballing nation and regarded as national icon. So, who are we to judge???" Nice gusture indeed. But I wanted you to know I did not start it.

So I said, "Did you not start the comparison with Pele and Maradona? "
Meaning you started to compare Zidane with Pele and Maradona first. My previous post of that was comparing Zidane and Maradona's yellow card and red card. So I thought you would get my point.

Now you stated, "I never compared Pele with maradona. Period." Which I never accused you of. "Pele and Maradona" to "Pele with Maradona" changes the meaning completely.

In my eyes, I see Hagi, Brolin as one the great players who played the game. They may not have acheived what Beckenbauer, Platini achieved but nevertheless they were great. Certainly they are not in the class of Pele or Maradona. They are in the third tier of greatest players in my book. Zidane could have been in the second tier but with headbutting, kicking I put him with the third group.

I admit it. You are a better person than I am. That is the sole reason you don't lower Maradona every time. People here thinks Zidane is a "tulshi dhuwa semi-saint". Well in the WC he showed us what kind of person he is. Yet people are trying to find out ah!! what may have provoked him, lol. He cannot possibly do it just like that. Well, there may be true to it, but he is what he is. noone can change that. He is 34+ and yet he can't control his temper and kicks, headbutts in the middle of the game and destroys the beauty of the game.
Old July 12, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

The question is based on simply skills, would you put Zidane in the same rank as Pele or Maradona? Just wanted to know.
Old July 13, 2006, 04:16 AM
Test Cricketer

On the basis of skill.. i would definitely put put ZIdane on the rank of Pele and Maradonna. There is no who is better than who skill wise. They were the best in theri generation. Thats it.
Old July 13, 2006, 05:16 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Although I don't like him but I think Zidane can be only compared with Maradona. As a complete player he is way above Pele. IMHO even Ronaldinho is better than Pele.

Old July 13, 2006, 07:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
Although I don't like him but I think Zidane can be only compared with Maradona. As a complete player he is way above Pele. IMHO even Ronaldinho is better than Pele.
Make a good defence sheild around you. I saw attack is coming from Brazil fan club led by Cat's eye and Spitty . Though I agree with you.
Old July 13, 2006, 08:14 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Agreeed to the first and second point. Not sure about the third one.

One addition - I do like Zidane

Last edited by Miraz; July 13, 2006 at 08:19 AM..
Old July 13, 2006, 08:15 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Make a good defence sheild around you. I saw attack is coming from Brazil fan club led by Cat's eye and Spitty . Though I agree with you.
Well, Brazil is my 2nd fav team after England. So I would not mind if I get any...

Old July 13, 2006, 09:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Wow!! You guys think Zidane is equal or better than Pele and Maradona even in skills? This is the just going over the top. I don't smoke otherwise I would asked some what you guys are inhaling.

Know this, the game of Football was invented because a black pearl would play the game one day. Did you not read that in the bengali text book while growing up?
Old July 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Know this, the game of Football was invented because a black pearl would play the game one day. Did you not read that in the bengali text book while growing up?
Childhood memories guide us in making decisions and its normal that you are guided by those sweet memories

Before watching Football seriously I admired Pele a lot due to that article in our textbook কালোমানিক পেলে (still I admire him), but definitely some players are playing good or even better Football
Old July 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Childhood memories guide us in making decisions and its normal that you are guided by those sweet memories

Before watching Football seriously I admired Pele a lot due to that article in our textbook কালোমানিক পেলে (still I admire him), but definitely some players are playing good or even better Football
Same here. Kalo manik Pele. My first world cup was 82 world cup. I just moved from England to BD with my parents at that time. I have seen most of the worldcup games since then till 98. I missed last two world cups because of my job.So my comparison was based on my personal experience. But as I said earlier,Pele is not a complete footballer. Perhaps, as a striker he is the alltime best.He was also exceptional at dribbling and passing. But don't compare him with Maradona please.

Old July 14, 2006, 04:54 AM
Test Cricketer

I would pledge not to compare Mardonna with Pele. Pele was lethal on his position and in any given day, i would pick Pele as the main player upfront. I can create a team without Maradonna and pick other players like Vava Tostao, falcao, Platini, Mathias and my team will be scoring dozens in every game . For Pele's partner, i would pick Rivellino or Basten as the other striker. No doubt, this team will rock.
Old July 15, 2006, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

zidane should not have reacted, in soccer even in cricket, it is a technique to make your opponent go mad. even though it is not right, but it is quite effective. i remember in 1998 when ortega head butted the nederlands goalkeeper who may have said something offensive, got red card and within minutes nederlands scored and argentina was out. even in this WC Figo headbutted a dutch player and was really lucky to get away.

But even if zidane didnt get that card I dont think France was going to score in thost minutes and Italy would have won in tiebreaker anyway. Things are blown out of proportion by supporters and just to make it look like a tragedy....
Old July 15, 2006, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Same here. Kalo manik Pele. My first world cup was 82 world cup. I just moved from England to BD with my parents at that time. I have seen most of the worldcup games since then till 98. I missed last two world cups because of my job.So my comparison was based on my personal experience. But as I said earlier,Pele is not a complete footballer. Perhaps, as a striker he is the alltime best.He was also exceptional at dribbling and passing. But don't compare him with Maradona please.
pele recently said that ronaldinho is better than maradona. i dont whether there is a grudge between pele and maradona as why he said that. i havent seen pele in his prime so cant say much. but have seen maradona quite a lot in world cupts, italian league with napoli and also ronaldinho. both maradona and ronaldinho are good in dribbling, free kicks and corners. but in passing i think maradona was better. there are also things which maradona could do, i have never seen anyone else doing that. forexample: he could keep the ball bouncing on his shoulder and run at full speed. at the start of an exibition match, maradona just took the ball from the center on his feet and shot it from there. the ball goes in brushing the cross bar........ 60 yards. can you imagine this guy measurement /skill?