facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Riberi Is a Muslim

Today's JaiJaidin reported that Frank Riberi is a muslim,he reconverted before marrying a muslim girl,so that makes my known muslim players in the france team two,along with Zidane.
Check it in the online edition of Jaijaidin tomorrow,they have this nagging practice of delaying the web edition by one day,i only sencerely hope that others do not follow this practice.

Old July 5, 2006, 06:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Well ,we have heard false news about many people before, but this one is true

http://ummahnewslinks.com/2006/06/17...wc-opener.aspx
Old July 5, 2006, 06:21 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well, Zidane calls himself a "non-practicing Muslim."

Old July 5, 2006, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

more news about France's racial divion and football
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5145966.stm

I Believed the player Alou Diarra Mentioned there is muslim too.
It's quite a shame while they are contributing so much to the country,the government enforces them to riots.
Old July 5, 2006, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

And another dual cultural society

BBC News - German Turks' divided loyalties
From here Former German Player Mehmet Scholl grew.
Old July 5, 2006, 06:58 AM
Cricket Legend

some more news

http://www.islam-online.net/English/...06/17/03.shtml
http://islam4real.blogspot.com/2006/...in-french.html
http://www.queenslandmuslimtimes.org...hp?storyid=127

There are more players including Nicholas Anelka
Quote:
Thousands of French revert to Islam every year in France, but not all of them declare their new faith outright, fearing discrimination at home or work and a stereotypical view that reverts tilt towards extremism, according to recent studies and surveys.

Last March, sources confirmed that former French soccer coach Philippe Troussier and his wife Dominique had reverted to Islam in the Moroccan capital where they live.

Super striker Anelka, who played for Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Manchester City, eventually had to leave for the Turkish league after increasing harassment.

France is home to some six to seven million Muslims, the largest Muslim minority in Europe.
Old July 5, 2006, 07:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Digging on this,i just found some more news on french discrimination of muslims
# Fearing Bigotry, French Muslim Reverts Conceal Faith

French Muslims Change Name to Get a "Chance"

And they teach us human rights.
Old July 5, 2006, 07:11 AM
Cricket Legend

However,is thierry henry's rooted in arab also?
Old July 5, 2006, 04:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
Digging on this,i just found some more news on french discrimination of muslims
# Fearing Bigotry, French Muslim Reverts Conceal Faith

French Muslims Change Name to Get a "Chance"

And they teach us human rights.
it is simple, they feel like being Muslim they are becoming Arabicized or Asianized, and their loyalty to France would change that is why the new hatred against Muslims, in a diplomatic point of view you would not want French to become Muslims fearing retaliation, but that would not be Insaaf as all persons should have right to choose their own Deen ( path ). When I first heard that a lot of French man and woman becoming Muslims, I began to think okay now they are going to hate us, and soon look someone saying that, the Muslims are going to take over France and enslave humanity !!! I guess I can not blame them cuz that is the mentality they were born in, they think religion is only for show of cultural power !!! ALLAH TA-ALA give us all Hidayat.

PS : They do have a point cuz of the conquistador mind of some Turkish Sultan, who believed to bring peace in the world he would have to conquer the whole world and then teach them Islam !!! Shows how far had we gone out from fundamentals, there is no compulsion in Islam, If you think your path is the path to heaven you can not force others to your path of heaven and end up destroying your own chance of reaching heaven, but once you choose to be Muslim you should not be a hypocrite ( man I must perk up my Iman, I am so scared of everything but if I had a strong Iman I would only fear our Creator and the punishment for wrongdoing ), and so a lot of tribulations done to us we were to blame for it in a lot of ways, if we think we are Muslim then we must act as one.
Old July 5, 2006, 06:37 PM
Retired BC Admin

I truly failed to see all the hulabalu. Zidane is muslim, so what? Bush could be muslim too, who cares? Osama is muslim too. So as Atta. So as Hasina, Khaleda. And so as million of thieves, terorists, dirty politicians, millionaires, writers, players, actors, nobel prize holders, scientists - just name it.

Many murderers are muslim too. So as many good people. If Bush becomes a muslim tomorrow, do you think its gonna make my or anyone elses' Iman any stronger? If it does then don't you think I have a bigger problem to begin with?

Please stop these he-is-also-muslim thingy. It terribly shows a fallen and inferior mindset. Everybody should be proud and grateful for who they are regardless of who the others are. As a muslim, if anyone so inclined, a much better service would be to discuss the true teachings of Islam.
Old July 5, 2006, 07:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
I truly failed to see all the hulabalu. Zidane is muslim, so what? Bush could be muslim too, who cares? Osama is muslim too. So as Atta. So as Hasina, Khaleda. And so as million of thieves, terorists, dirty politicians, millionaires, writers, players, actors, nobel prize holders, scientists - just name it.

Many murderers are muslim too. So as many good people. If Bush becomes a muslim tomorrow, do you think its gonna make my or anyone elses' Iman any stronger? If it does then don't you think I have a bigger problem to begin with?

Please stop these he-is-also-muslim thingy. It terribly shows a fallen and inferior mindset. Everybody should be proud and grateful for who they are regardless of who the others are. As a muslim, if anyone so inclined, a much better service would be to discuss the true teachings of Islam.
Ameen,

Someone here thinks straight ALHAMDULILLAH, as a matter of fact I can not tell if I am Muslim or nor before day of judgement, so Ya Nafsi for all you brothers instead of who is and who is not Muslim.
Old July 5, 2006, 08:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

I could not agree more with chinaman and mhferdaus. What's a big deal? Is any non-muslim of this group ever said that so and so is a hindu or a christian?
Old July 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I think if we (muslims) find somebody well known also a muslim we feel proud. Just like somebody from india feels proud when there is someone from india is play world cup soccer or in nasa or in f1. Same way we feel proud to say a bangali won nobel price...
Now a american wouldn't understand this same some body who is not proud to be a muslim too....
Its always the minority that feels proud just like christan's from pakistan use to feel proud of yousuf youhana. NO body coun't how many muslims there r in the pakistan team or bangladeshi team they count how many minority r there and they feel proud.. just like us muslims feel proud when we hear that a muslim is playing for france....
I don't want to attack anyone this is just what i think people feels when they say this is muslim and so on....
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 5, 2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Alhamdulliah, Amader Riberry vai er jonno ektu dua raikhen, jeno final e masallh goal korte pare.
Old July 5, 2006, 11:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I think if we (muslims) find somebody well known also a muslim we feel proud. Just like somebody from india feels proud when there is someone from india is play world cup soccer or in nasa or in f1. Same way we feel proud to say a bangali won nobel price...
Now a american wouldn't understand this same some body who is not proud to be a muslim too....
Its always the minority that feels proud just like christan's from pakistan use to feel proud of yousuf youhana. NO body coun't how many muslims there r in the pakistan team or bangladeshi team they count how many minority r there and they feel proud.. just like us muslims feel proud when we hear that a muslim is playing for france....
I don't want to attack anyone this is just what i think people feels when they say this is muslim and so on....
well said.....and it also helps me personally to increase my Imaan when I read/see the stories of reverts.......May Allah guide us all in the right path...Ameen
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old July 6, 2006, 01:04 AM
Test Cricketer

I dont see whats the issue when you say "he/she is muslim"...It makes my feel proud that that person who is famous and well-known around the world follows the same faith as me and many other. Especially when you never thought that person was a muslim it surprises you. I fail to see whats the issue or how it "shows a terribly fallen and inferior mindset".

Lets face it, the most famous Muslims around the world is Osama Bin Laden, Zarqawi and few others who hasnt done any good to this religion or to mankind.
So saying someone is muslim helps lighten up that feeling that there are muslims out there that are famous for being the best soccer players or whatever.

At the same time this has nothing to do with Iman. Iman is personal thing. If you want to enhance your iman or do whatever with it thats a totally different issue. You might want to start a dfferent thread for that. But finding out people who kept low profile on their religion and finding that they practised Islam cannot be called an act of "inferior mindset". No one is trying to build iman on the faith of these people. Its a totally different agenda. Like comparing apple with oranges.

Last edited by tiger_man; July 6, 2006 at 01:13 AM..
Old July 6, 2006, 02:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

its always great to see someone reverting to Islam, regardless thier fame...
so Ribery, brother-----> May Allah guide u for the rest of ur life...

but at the same time.. i also see no reason to make a big fuss bout it ...
as been discussed before, its not becoming Muslim, but rather what u do after that..

most of ur here are Muslims too.. but how many of us r really practising Muslim ??
how many here offers prayer 5 times a day ? (the very basic fundamental of islam)
Fasts for whole 30 days in Ramadan?
never touched alcohol ?
the questionnaire list cud go on..both on good n bad sides...
now i know many of u do follow the Islamic way properly, but i am still sure that most of us dont ...

there is no point being a name-forsaken Muslim just to fill that space next to Religion in any forms...
u hear ppl like wacko jacko, shaq, dave chappel etc reverting to Islam, but r they following it in a Islamic way ( May Allah forgive me, cuz im not a judge of their actions)

Only big name westerner that so far i have heard reverted and is leading a good Islamic way is Yousuf Islam ( Cat Stevens).. man i was watching a doco on him sometimes back, the guy gave me a shame on myself..
i realised, even being fortunate enuf (Alhamdulillah) to be born in a Muslim family and even more fortunate enuf to perform the Holy Hajj at an early age, i probably do not follow the way of Islam as much as he does... i think we Muslims tends to take things for granted...

Yap, im not relyin on some doco to make my Iman stronger, but sometimes we tend to deviate from the righteous way and when u see the life of other pious man, it gives u a knock on the head and reminds u of who u r...

May Allah give us His Blessings and Help all of us follow His ways
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 6, 2006, 08:58 AM
Cricket Legend

I am with chinaman, mhferdous and frost bhai. Why so much fuss about Ribery, Trousier being muslim? Why not Charles vincent (Mridul's sig) or other little guys.
On the issues of minority complex. Did anyone saw jews bragging about Einstein and Madomna (they are minority all over the world except Israel). I have not heard any hindu's feeling proud as one of the Beatles /Rolling Stone ( I forgot who) is a hindu.
I feel we the muslims are facing serious identity crisis. That's why we are spending so much time and coloumn space claiming Mr X and Mr Y is muslim while convenienly forgetting muslims may have be the largest number of illitarate or semi-litarate. Why not talk about that?
Old July 6, 2006, 10:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
That's why we are spending so much time and coloumn space claiming Mr X and Mr Y is muslim while convenienly forgetting muslims may have be the largest number of illitarate or semi-litarate. Why not talk about that?
Ya, why not talk about Bangladesh having the [edit] cricket team, being the dirtiest country, the most corrupted nation in the world??

Because we wanna be optimistic about everything which is why we cheer more when Ashraful scores a century and make less noise when he goes out for a duck the next 3 innings.

If Jews, Hindus dont wanna talk about ppl following their religion then thats their problem....we dont have to follow other religions..

Last edited by chinaman; July 6, 2006 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: mod.content. Hopefully you wouldn't be posting those deliberate strong words much longer.
Old July 9, 2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I really don't care which famous individual follows the muslim religion. The Quran, common sense, and history taught me that my own iman is all I need.

Some people got really excited because Zidane is a muslim. Big whoop. What he did in the world cup final (no matter what his religion) was disgraceful. Others already mentioned how Bangladesh, with its huge muslim population, struggles with corruption, nothing Islamic about that. To me, there's only good people and bad people. Religion can't fix you if you are evil to the core, that's just how I see it. It surely didn't stop our 'muslim' brothers in 1971 (there, I brought it up again).

Allah made everyone equal. I know rednecks, hatemongers, bible thumpers, Quran thumpers, and arabs (among others) think they are better then other people because of of their faith but why would anyone want to join their ranks and share those same idiotic beliefs is beyond me. Don't forget that Allah Tallah is the only judge.
Old July 9, 2006, 07:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i think chinaman, tehsin, and others are automatically [and falsely] attributing importance to shafin's posts.

shafin is not, at least from my understanding of this thread, making his imaan contingent on which celebrity also follows islam. in that case, chinaman is absolutely correct - there is a MASSIVE problem with that picture. however, i believe that that is NOT the case.

today, i feel that it is quite important, that celebrity muslims get publicized. this lends islam a 'normal' face. although we may be muslim, and not the kind that you see on the news 24/7, the majority of non-muslims will attribute islam to genocidal mania. they have no reason not to.

with celebrity muslims, you are able to show the human side of islam...the everyday side of islam. dave chappelle is muslim, so you can say "see muslims smoke weed and can make lewd jokes too...a muslim isn't exclusively a fanatic"

now i am not condoning drug use and lewdness, but i am attempting to make my point.

and if all else fails to convince the prophet (saw) used to pray "oh allah, guide amongst the disbelievers whoever you like more from abu jahl and umar"

in other words, the prophet recognized that abu jahl and/or umar's celebrity status would lend EARTHLY credibility to islam. key word, earthly.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 9, 2006, 09:59 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

al Furqaan - you're posts makes complete sense. On that note, I wish there were more muslim celebraties/leaders who not only live a 'normal' life but is also vocal against the ones that has hijacked our religion for their own distorted cause.
Old July 10, 2006, 12:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i think chinaman, tehsin, and others are automatically [and falsely] attributing importance to shafin's posts.

shafin is not, at least from my understanding of this thread, making his imaan contingent on which celebrity also follows islam. in that case, chinaman is absolutely correct - there is a MASSIVE problem with that picture. however, i believe that that is NOT the case.

today, i feel that it is quite important, that celebrity muslims get publicized. this lends islam a 'normal' face. although we may be muslim, and not the kind that you see on the news 24/7, the majority of non-muslims will attribute islam to genocidal mania. they have no reason not to.

with celebrity muslims, you are able to show the human side of islam...the everyday side of islam. dave chappelle is muslim, so you can say "see muslims smoke weed and can make lewd jokes too...a muslim isn't exclusively a fanatic"

now i am not condoning drug use and lewdness, but i am attempting to make my point.

and if all else fails to convince the prophet (saw) used to pray "oh allah, guide amongst the disbelievers whoever you like more from abu jahl and umar"

in other words, the prophet recognized that abu jahl and/or umar's celebrity status would lend EARTHLY credibility to islam. key word, earthly.
once again why would they care about what they think, when their john major said as a green signal to slobodan milosevic by saying "we want no more Muslim countries in Europe", I wonder what would happen if Marshall Tito was there. My point being when they themselves are genocidal gayniac, why care about their opinions, if they think they can get away with it they will commit crimes.

rather it should be what do we think about ourselves, and how are we going to live? to live as true Muslims or denounce our faith altogether and atleast show the grace of not being munafic? how should we fight the corruption and crimes which so much is in the vein of our system? how are we going to know about the fundamentals of Islam instead of calling ourselves Muslim just to make a label out of it???
Old July 10, 2006, 07:57 AM
Test Cricketer

I personally think, religion is totally a personal matter. And. a religion is simply can not be an identity, clear and loud. If I were to support the idea of muslim being the identity about me, then, I have to say that, I would have to acknowledge the theology of Allama Iqbal or Maududi from Pakistan that Muslim are differnt race/nation/ etce tc. This is definitely not the ideology I believe. So for me, religion means nothing.. simply nothing to have any impact on the national or gloabal issues. Its the person himself who does this wonderful things for the mankind. Zidance would still be Zidane if he were the followers from any other religion. He would have stil won the world cup in 98 and would still have taken this french team to the final of this world cup. He would have still had that headbut and got sent off. So, this plain rubbish to glorify someone onthe basis of relligion. Humanity is much more above the cornered idea of raligional expressions. THats completely a personal affair and really should be kept like that. Zidane and all others mentioned here , should only be praised because of what had they achieved in life and how much did they contribute to ppl and the society , not because, what religion do they follow.

On 2nd note, i just want to mention that, being a muslim and being a national from some country arent the same. Muslim isnt the identiy, where as, nationality clearly describes a persona completely. So, if a Bangladeshi does someting great, surely, we can be proud of that and cen take inspiration from him. But, seeing some doing something great , it doesnt make any sense to be proud of him just because , I may believie in the same religion as his. Ppl should be judged with their deeds, not with their personal affairs specialyl with religion.

Please.. open your minds friends.
Old July 10, 2006, 10:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
once again why would they care about what they think, when their john major said as a green signal to slobodan milosevic by saying "we want no more Muslim countries in Europe", I wonder what would happen if Marshall Tito was there. My point being when they themselves are genocidal gayniac, why care about their opinions, if they think they can get away with it they will commit crimes.

rather it should be what do we think about ourselves, and how are we going to live? to live as true Muslims or denounce our faith altogether and atleast show the grace of not being munafic? how should we fight the corruption and crimes which so much is in the vein of our system? how are we going to know about the fundamentals of Islam instead of calling ourselves Muslim just to make a label out of it???
that is true

#OneTeam1Dream