facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 12, 2006, 01:07 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Zidane makes apology for headbutt

Zinedine Zidane has apologised for the headbutt on Italy's Marco Materazzi which earned him a red card in Sunday's World Cup final penalty shoot-out loss. But the France legend did not reveal what Materazzi said, only confirming that it was "very personal and concerned his mother and his sister".
In a French TV interview, Zidane, 34, said: "I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched that.

More to follow from BBC

Old July 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Damage control. Wish him the best of retirements.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

I always have respect for my favourite player ever. Even after that event.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Feeling good to be a club cricketer.
Old July 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

"I want to apologise to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said."
Old July 12, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cricket Savant

He is like a kid. If someone says something bad about my mother, my mother becomes bad just because that person said so? Can't regret what i did??? Pure childish and still taking it too personal. Since you are not going to say what he said then just let it go, forgive and move on.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
"Above all it was a very serious provocation. It was an inexcusable gesture but the real culprit is the person who provoked it.

"Do you imagine that in a World Cup final like that with just 10 minutes to go to the end of my career, I am going to do something like that because it gives me pleasure?"
Cheers! We'll still love you for the great memories.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

what the hell people read this from daily star and then think whether he should have apologised or not...

French 'blacks and Islamists'
http://thedailystar.net/2006/07/13/d60713042052.htm
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 12, 2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
He resigned as minister in February after he was criticised for wearing a T-shirt lampooning the Prophet Mohammed, sparking deadly anti-Italian riots in Libya.
he's a mad politician, a racist who does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the italian soccer team. how does what he says or does relate to what happened in Berlin the other night?
Old July 12, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cricket Guru

cause he gets elected....so who ever votes for him surely thinks like him...
Old July 12, 2006, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
that's a lame argument.

while the comments and deeds of the minister are by no means acceptable, and he deserves to burn in hell, it has no association to the Berlin incident. Zidane owes an apology to Materazzi, and vice versa, even if both feel it's just for the heck of it.

a lot of what zidane said does not apply to a sportsman at the top level. while i do understand his sentiments rooting from his mother getting admitted to the hospital, he is a representative of his people and an idol to many, and he shouldn't have gone physical. I think he said something like "I am a man first...and there are things that I can't control myself after hearing...I'd rather take a blow in the face than hear something like that..." arey baap etoi jodi kharap kisu bole thake taile why dont you tell us what he said already? and besides, why does he care what someone else has to say about his family? it doesn't seem like matterazi's comments were anything that footballers don't have to swallow everyday on the pitch...and by not apologising, both of them are setting bad examples.
Old July 12, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
[sarcasm] 52% Americans are retarded, inarticulate and can't pronounce nuclear. [/sarcasm]
Old July 12, 2006, 04:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
that's a lame argument.

while the comments and deeds of the minister are by no means acceptable, and he deserves to burn in hell, it has no association to the Berlin incident. Zidane owes an apology to Materazzi, and vice versa, even if both feel it's just for the heck of it.

a lot of what zidane said does not apply to a sportsman at the top level. while i do understand his sentiments rooting from his mother getting admitted to the hospital, he is a representative of his people and an idol to many, and he shouldn't have gone physical. I think he said something like "I am a man first...and there are things that I can't control myself after hearing...I'd rather take a blow in the face than hear something like that..." arey baap etoi jodi kharap kisu bole thake taile why dont you tell us what he said already? and besides, why does he care what someone else has to say about his family? it doesn't seem like matterazi's comments were anything that footballers don't have to swallow everyday on the pitch...and by not apologising, both of them are setting bad examples.
He has no reason to apologize to Materazzi. He owed an apology to his countrymen, fans, the sport and he did just that. As for why he isn't revealing the exact details, it will probably remain a mystery forever and find a place in most football history books. Both parties are reluctant to reveal the details. May be because it's in extremely poor taste?

Besides, we already have a decent idea of the details of the exchange. I know lipreadings aren't fullproof or reliable as evidence, but people underestimate expert lipreaders. An ex of mine was deaf and she could reproduce anything I spoke with an astounding level of accuracy. She rarely even needed teletext for the TV. Anyway, several british newspapers have asked for expert opinions on this and the results have been exactly the same. I don't know if any of you are regulars at the fbtz forum, but Brazilian members there have claimed that the Globo TV Channel there has been running a gag all world cup long with deaf children reading players'/officials'/crowd's lips. Their accuracy level has been near perfect too. When the kids were given the task of reading Materazzi, all 3 of them returned the exact same result. Obviously the children have no knowledge of Italian. The translation is in perfect sync with Zidane's claimed family/race insults. I have no link to this right now, but some people will soon post the video on Youtube.

ps: Materazzi claims he doesn't even know what an Islamist terrorist is. In today's world that's like saying an Italian doesn't know what pasta is. It is possible that they are both lying. But even then, Marco isn't being a smart liar.
Old July 12, 2006, 06:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

This incident should be investigated properly. now few people asking to take away the golden ball from him, and what difference that would make. Materazzi sure said something insulting & he should be punished
Old July 12, 2006, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

taking this and that away from this and that will not solve anything. that's why the whole issue could've been avoided if zidane had either kept shut or reacted with another insult just to get even.
Old July 12, 2006, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
taking this and that away from this and that will not solve anything. that's why the whole issue could've been avoided if zidane had either kept shut or reacted with another insult just to get even.
i wish that was possible.
Old July 12, 2006, 08:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
He is like a kid. If someone says something bad about my mother, my mother becomes bad just because that person said so? Can't regret what i did??? Pure childish and still taking it too personal. Since you are not going to say what he said then just let it go, forgive and move on.
Do you know Zidane's background? His origin is Algeria and his family moved to France from there. Zidane has been passing his early days in one of the poorest places of France where people are poor, unemployment rate is very high. Throughout his career he has been suffering from these kind of 'sledging' and sometimes he was reactive again sometimes he was very much silent. Now the main thing is Materazzi said somehting about his origin, his mother and his sister thats why Zidane was so angered on Mr Materazzi.

Just imagine you are a true bangladeshi but people always keep telling you are from a corrupted country, you are a betrayer, you are corrupted, if they call you thief- how you will feel? Just consider yourself in place of Zizu! You can tolerate this once or twice but if you are treated like this again and again then? Your anger explodes. Something serious happens. Moreover, football is a crazy game where players are always in the serious mood. They might loose their temper its not surprising. Although I do not support what Zidane did on sunday.

C_E, if you don't like him then please dont make any weired comment on this great player. Because it hurts people. He is an artist a true football artist.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old July 12, 2006, 09:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

first off trash talking is a part of sports...however there is some stuff that should not be said. its fine for flintoff to call rafique a 'fish eating turd' and rafique to respond with 'call me that again, and i'll kick our arse till it turns from white to red to blue'...but there are some things that both guys could say to each other that would be over the top.

regardless of what was said Zidane did wrong. now, of course, my opinion of him has increased since that incident, but what he did was wrong.

now i dont know what was said, but if it was said to you can you gurantee that you would just walk away and finish the game. if not, then you shouldnt criticize Zidane beyond saying head butting is unjustifiably wrong.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
Cricket Guru

ATMR
Lame or not that's the truth.... Have u ever saw a hasina follower thinking like a khleda or vise versa???I havn't
And CB
Its true 52% percent is like that in usa
Old July 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
Cricket Legend

No wonder he apologised to the children. All my little cousins here in BD now consider Zidane to be the headbutt king (its like the kids are headbutting each other and making fun of zizou). I guess thats not how Zidane wants the next generation to remember him.
________
MERCEDES-BENZ M103 ENGINE

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM..
Old July 13, 2006, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan

C_E, if you don't like him then please dont make any weired comment on this great player. Because it hurts people. He is an artist a true football artist.
Honestly speaking, I always try my best to omit all C_E’s writings when I enter in the forum; his opinion is very harsh and very much biased.

But anyway, anybody can express their feelings about what they like.
Old July 13, 2006, 08:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
Do you know Zidane's background? His origin is Algeria and his family moved to France from there. Zidane has been passing his early days in one of the poorest places of France where people are poor, unemployment rate is very high. Throughout his career he has been suffering from these kind of 'sledging' and sometimes he was reactive again sometimes he was very much silent. Now the main thing is Materazzi said somehting about his origin, his mother and his sister thats why Zidane was so angered on Mr Materazzi.

Just imagine you are a true bangladeshi but people always keep telling you are from a corrupted country, you are a betrayer, you are corrupted, if they call you thief- how you will feel? Just consider yourself in place of Zizu! You can tolerate this once or twice but if you are treated like this again and again then? Your anger explodes. Something serious happens. Moreover, football is a crazy game where players are always in the serious mood. They might loose their temper its not surprising. Although I do not support what Zidane did on sunday.

My dear friend,
To forgive one must have heart and one must be in control of the situation. This only makes that person (who forgives) better than the person who is being forgiven. Zidane had the chance to forgive. But he did not have the heart to forgive to justify his act. No matter what was said noone in sane mind can justify the headbutt in the match.

Zinane is not the only one who came out of a slum or a poor family. He is not the only one who is subjected to the slurs. Yet he is the one who cannot keep it cool in crucial moments.

My comment on childishness is wierd to you, fine. But he is acting like a child and holding on to the grudge. Our beloved prophet (PBUH) was called all sorts of things. worst of the worst things that can be said. How did he react? Managing anger is a virtue. The sooner Zidane learns that the better for him. Mercy!!

Last edited by Tigers_eye; July 13, 2006 at 01:55 PM..
Old July 13, 2006, 09:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Zidane's apology is nothing but a routine work.. he knew he'd hv to do that after the incident.. no matter what he does, he will get away with it..atleast fm the French..and thats what matters the most to him i guess...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Before the World Cup I didn't even know who this Zidane guy is. Looks like he is another polarized figure in sports: either love him or hate him.... but no in between.

Bhayeera Amar ....Please continue bickering each other by showing uncompromising hate or love for him.. I love it.... I love it !!!!
Old July 13, 2006, 01:48 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I'm in between!

I like him, but don't think he is at the level of Pele or something. But you have to admit France has been a one man show and thats Zidane.