facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old July 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Match Thread: Bangladesh v West Indies A,, 3-day warm-up, July 3-5, 2009

Hi everyone,

It's been years since I posted here, I have not spent so much time following cricket through internet message boards etc, but it's good to be back. Moderators please feel free to move this post to any other relevant sections if this is in the wrong place.

I just thought I'd preview the tour match starting on Friday, as it is the only practice match Bangladesh have and is therefore absolutely vital. It's being played at the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown Barbados, which is the most beautiful ground in the Caribbean, has awesome facilities and is potentially the fastest pitch too, so the conditions for the young Bangladeshi pacers/medium pacers should be encouraging. It does not tend to spin at all though, so if I was coach I would give the pacers a work out and select one spinner at most.

The Windies A team is a strong one with at least 3 players who are right on the cusp of senior team honors and 3 with international experience already. Most of this team played against England and outplayed them for 3 days:

Adrian Barath - 19 year old Trinidadian Right hander, averages 48 in FC cricket. A score of over 50 will see him selected.
Kieran Powell - 19 year old Left hander with powerfulstrokes. Averages 41 in FC cricket. Weak against spin.
Lendl Simmons - Scored 282 against England a few months ago. Looking to get back into the test squad.
Sewnarine Chattergoon (c) - Experienced left hander with international experience
Andre Creary - Jamaican right hander with no FC experience but dominated at youth level.
Devon Thomas (wk) - 20 year old WK batsman who is looking to put pressure on Ramdin.
Ryan Austin - Leading wicket taker in FC cricket this year, he is an off spinner with a good action.
Gavin Wallace - 24 year old leg spinner with great natural talent, he is a big turner of the ball.
Kevin McClean - 22 year old Fast bowler with a high arm action. He had an excellent first FC season.
Nelon Pascal - The 3rd fastest bowler in the Caribbean, he will force his way into the test team with a strong performance.
Kemar Roach - Another pace-like-fiyah merchant. Very talented but also very wild.

What is the Bangladesh team likely to be like for this match? Will they experiment or play a full strength lineup?

Old July 1, 2009, 02:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Welcome Back WIFAN. Your presence in series is blessing to BC. You have opened it in the right section.

Quote:
What is the Bangladesh team likely to be like for this match? Will they experiment or play a full strength lineup?
Its a difficult one. And I suppose since we have not played longer version cricket for nearly 6 months, you will probably see more or less the full strength squad.
Old July 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Tamim: Talented but at times loses head and tries to go after the bowlers. (lefty)
Junaid: Getting more stable than his early days. Weak playing swinging deliveries, bouncers. (lefty)
Ash: All he needs is a bad ball and he will gift his wicket away. Wrapped with chocolate also.
Raqibul: If we have to put our hopes on anyone to play a long innings it would be him.
Shakib: I only wish Ash don't influence his batting. As a bowler, currently he is the best we got (SLA).
Mehrab: Needs to be consistant with the bat. Another SLA.
Riyad: Maturing. Time to deliver with the bat. Off-spinner also.
Mushfiq: Needs a full-time WKeeping coach work with him for at least six months.
+++
Bowlers:
Sharapova: Simmons and Barath will like him. So much so that one of them may come out with a formal proposal. Enough said.
Rubel: 19 year old. Why is he in the team I do not know. Hype with speed and nothing else.
Mashrafe: Captain. I pray for him that is all.
Enamul: SLA. We could have used Rasel here but he is not in the team.
Old July 1, 2009, 03:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIFAN
, has awesome facilities and is potentially the fastest pitch too, so the conditions for the young Bangladeshi pacers/medium pacers should be encouraging. It ?
Rubel Hossain, Mashrafe and shahadat are definitely no medium pacers.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Maybe for 5-6 overs, watch em struggle to reach 82-83 by there 2nd and 3rd spell.

It's probably 90 degrees right now over there
Old July 1, 2009, 04:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
Maybe for 5-6 overs, watch em struggle to reach 82-83 by there 2nd and 3rd spell.

Correct. At the end of the day average is well in the 70's. Comparing them with the WI reserve those are boyish like deliveries.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Do you guys think Shahadat will return to form?
Old July 1, 2009, 04:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
They are not medium pacers but some of the others certainly are which is why I put pacers/medium pacers.

As for the speeds dropping at the end of the day, lots of bowlers have that problem. Jerome Taylor often starts at 87-92 mph and by his 2nd/3rd spell is bowling 85mph at most. It's not always completely to do with fitness, sometimes the pitches in international cricket are so flat that it saps the energy and morale out of bowlers.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Tamim: Talented but at times loses head and tries to go after the bowlers. (lefty)
Junaid: Getting more stable than his early days. Weak playing swinging deliveries, bouncers. (lefty)
Ash: All he needs is a bad ball and he will gift his wicket away. Wrapped with chocolate also.
Raqibul: If we have to put our hopes on anyone to play a long innings it would be him.
Shakib: I only wish Ash don't influence his batting. As a bowler, currently he is the best we got (SLA).
Mehrab: Needs to be consistant with the bat. Another SLA.
Riyad: Maturing. Time to deliver with the bat. Off-spinner also.
Mushfiq: Needs a full-time WKeeping coach work with him for at least six months.
+++
Bowlers:
Sharapova: Simmons and Barath will like him. So much so that one of them may come out with a formal proposal. Enough said.
Rubel: 19 year old. Why is he in the team I do not know. Hype with speed and nothing else.
Mashrafe: Captain. I pray for him that is all.
Enamul: SLA. We could have used Rasel here but he is not in the team.
Riyad is the young right hander on his first test tour isn't he? I watched his brief innings in the 20/20 and although he didn't make many runs, he reminded me of Marlon Samuels in terms of the languid nature of his strokeplay.

I have a feeling that returning to the Caribbean will be good for Tamim as well. Back to the scenes of some of his more explosive innings. Our bowlers tend to bowl short outside off stump as well which will suit his stronger shots through the off side.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Club Cricketer

this will be no problem. We always do well in practice matches and flop in the real matches
Old July 1, 2009, 04:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

And I saw him many times doing that literally

I dare to say but you're somewhat misreading the latent potential of young Ripper. I believe he is the next best find to BD pace department beside Mash. Variations and smartness will come with age, proper exposure and looking after.
Old July 1, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
rubel is the only one who is not a "medium" pacer...he's got fitness so it will be interesting to see if he can top 140 in the final session of a days play.

mash and shahadat are 140 capable, but they hover right around the 130 mark, hence they are quite adequately medium pace.

but hey, pace isn't everything. chaminda vaas should have taught us that.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 1, 2009, 05:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman

the caribbean is not as hot as you would think...i'm from nashville, and nashville has hotter summers. the humidity here is also nothing to write dhaka about, and overall, the weather is gorgeous.

our boys will enjoy these conditions, as home temp/humidity is far more taxing.

certainly better than cloudy 55 degrees in nottingham...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 1, 2009, 08:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Go BD...Go Tigers!!!!!!
Old July 1, 2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Go BD...Go Tigers!!!!!!
Rag pore gechhe dekhchhi....Javed!
Old July 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

So is this the match thread? It already has more information in it than most practice match threads!
Old July 1, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIFAN
The Windies A team is a strong one with at least 3 players who are right on the cusp of senior team honors and 3 with international experience already. Most of this team played against England and outplayed them for 3 days:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Its a difficult one. And I suppose since we have not played longer version cricket for nearly 6 months, you will probably see more or less the full strength squad.
I guess BD will try most to avoid an embarrassing start, and will go with full strength. Not that we have too many options to be tried too. Btw, will CI cover this practice match?
Old July 1, 2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Rag pore gechhe dekhchhi....Javed!
Kotodin ar BC ke schere dure thakte pare?!
Old July 2, 2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro1249
So is this the match thread? It already has more information in it than most practice match threads!
It seems so...
Old July 2, 2009, 12:23 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
It seems so...
Bhai apni ki ar thread khulbe na? i miss ur thread
Old July 2, 2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Bhai apni ki ar thread khulbe na? i miss ur thread
I was going to..., but WIFAN open this thread, so let it be...

BD vs. WI 1st Test Match Thread is on the way though!
Old July 2, 2009, 01:48 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
I was going to..., but WIFAN open this thread, so let it be...

BD vs. WI 1st Test Match Thread is on the way though!
Oh Yes! Kalpurush bhai, jindabad! Kalpurush bhai, Jindabad....
Old July 2, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Great to have WIFAN here again with us. He is one of the few members from the early 02's.

Looks like WI A has some genuine fast bowlers. When I was a kid I grew up watching the heroes of WI's performing on the field. I was a great fan of WI till Brian Lara retired. Lately WI team broke my heart in so many occasions I had to step aside. But still I wish them success.

BD is going to play longer version after 6 months. So it's gonna be tough for us to settle down. Hope they will getting used to with the condition and the format as well.

As WIFAN has said it's the fastest pitch of WI BD batters might suffer from the fastest deliveries. Hope BD would be able to bat at least 90 overs in first innings.

I'm very much looking forward to how Rubel gonna ball.

Last edited by auntu; July 2, 2009 at 04:21 AM..
Old July 2, 2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu

I'm very much looking forward to how Rubel gonna ball.
And, I am going to watch how Ash does...
Old July 2, 2009, 03:52 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Welcome back Wifan.
I also think the weather should not be an issue for the boys. If anything, it would work well for us.

This practise match would be a good indicator of what to expect from the team in the tour ahead.
I only hoped we played atleast one extra tour match before the test series begins.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]