facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 20, 2017, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default $$$ The sponsorship deals of the Bangladesh Cricket Team. Next two year deal set to cross 55 crores.$$$

You can measure success in different ways, but the financial side of it is really important to spread the game and raise money for growing cricket all around the country.

Here is the history of the Bangladesh cricket team sponsors:

2009 to 2011

Grameen Phone sponsored the cricket team for two years. At that time it costed Grameen Phone 1.22 million USD for two years.

2012 - 2015

The next deal was Sahara, which paid Bangladesh Cricket 9.4 million USD for 4 years. If you count for a two year period it was 4.7 million USD. Bangladesh cricket eventually went into a conflict with Sahara as they didn't pay the promised amount. In comes Robi.

source:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/cricke...8GU6Y820120530

2015-2017

Robi paid BCB a whopping 414.4 million or 41.4 Crores which is about 5.32 million USD for two years (source:http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/879507.html)

2017 - 2019

BCB is all set to get a new sponsor for the next years as Robi's term comes to an end, and this time BCB is set to earn a minimum of 55 crores. That's where the bidding starts apparently, (source: http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/04/bc...nsorship-deal/) which is about 6.6 million USD. This is about a 24% rise, mind you this is the minimum BCB is expecting. It may very well go way above that target and may even cross 60 crores for the next two years, as the last two years have been great for the tigers and with Champions Trophy and world cup in 2019 coming up I think the sponsorship may cross a record high yet again.

Between 2009 to 2017, the sponsorship deal has seen almost a 550% jump, which is great for BCB, but they have to spend that money wisely now. In order to keep the sponsorship flowing the cricket team has to perform on the field as well.

What is exciting for BCB and Bangladesh cricket is the increase of private companies sponsoring away series. We saw the last series against SL, the title sponsor was a Bangladeshi company, and Walton is set to sponsor the tri nation series in Ireland. Overall looks like BCB is going to get even more richer in the coming years.

Last edited by tanvir_nus; April 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old April 20, 2017, 10:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Comparisons:

There is one update to this though, India recently won a deal with Oppo which is about 32 Million USD per year. So obviously they are at the top. But by going by the rich, if BCB gets 3.3 Million USD Per year, they are going to sit at the number 4th position in terms of the richest cricket board after India, Australia, England. Above Sri Lanka, South Africa and Pakistan. Exciting times ahead for Bangladesh cricket. I have a feeling in 10 years, we will be in the second spot on the list of the richest cricket boards in the world. If BCB wins the 60 crore contract it take Bangladesh Cricket to the 3rd place tied with England.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:21 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Good research bro
I almost thought it was a spam thread with the $$$ sign and sponsorship deal lol
Old April 21, 2017, 07:01 AM
Club Cricketer

Pretty surprised at how low all these are to be honest.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

If Bangladesh keep on winning games like they have been doing then the sponsorship will take care of itself. Can you imagine what will happen if Bangladesh wins the Champions Trophy?
Old April 21, 2017, 09:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I am surprised UK is so high.
Old April 21, 2017, 02:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I am surprised UK is so high.
The shirt sponsorship is a pretty small part of he annual revenue for most boards. As an England supporter i know the value the ECB have announced they're expecting for the yearly television rights deal that's being made this year is approaching about 100x the specified amount for the shirt sponsorship each year above.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I mean it, tanvir-nus bhaiya always has some of the best, thoughtful, analytical posts in BC. Absolutely invaluable superb information. Thank you Tanvir bhaiya!
Old April 21, 2017, 05:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I can't help it, on a different note....Duniya-tey sudhu Tekaar khela! Taka aar Jomi!
Taka thakley jomi thakbey, RAJUK thakbey...Jomi thakley taka thakbey!
Taka thakley stadium/cricket ground/Lords/Mirpur SBNS thakbey....aar stadium thakley cricketer thakbey...cricket thakley BCB + BC (begalicricket.cum) thakbey...Aar BC thakley troll + BK bechey thakbey...

Shob kichur pichoney ektai jinis...Taar naam Taka! Takar opor naam Baba (Daddy)!
So the bottom line is we need more taka!
Old April 21, 2017, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Board eto taka kamay, kintu playerder Ireland ar Zimbabwer playerder thekey kom beton dey.
Domestic structure ar facilities improve korey na bosorer por bosor.

Shob taka koi jay ? Papon ar AL er pocketey? Amar Bangali ek nomborer ghushkhor!
Old April 21, 2017, 07:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Good thread Tanvir. Its been a while since a good thread has surfaced on BC. All the thinkers have retired with their wives and kids, haha.

Fantastic research. I will be sharing on the fb group I manage, so I hope there is no objection!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 21, 2017, 09:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Good thread Tanvir. Its been a while since a good thread has surfaced on BC. All the thinkers have retired with their wives and kids, haha.

Fantastic research. I will be sharing on the fb group I manage, so I hope there is no objection!
No objection at all bro. Share away.

Quote:
I mean it, tanvir-nus bhaiya always has some of the best, thoughtful, analytical posts in BC. Absolutely invaluable superb information. Thank you Tanvir bhaiya!
Thanks bujhee kom bhai, I find your posts entertaining too. I have a couple of favourite posters as well but BC is not the same as it used to be. I think if we win the champions trophy everyone will come back.

Quote:
The shirt sponsorship is a pretty small part of he annual revenue for most boards. As an England supporter i know the value the ECB have announced they're expecting for the yearly television rights deal that's being made this year is approaching about 100x the specified amount for the shirt sponsorship each year above.
Yah agreed, ECB is a pretty rich board. But I guess this thread was only about the title sponsors.

Anyways overall, BCB is going to be getting a lot of money through TV sponsorship and other other sponsors besides the title sponsors, but I think it is great that Bangladeshi companies are coming forward and supporting our cricket. As already mentioned even the next tri nation series in Ireland is sponsored by Walton, so these are great signs for the future. We are not even close to being the richest board, but think about it guys, we started our cricket in 200, before 2001 I believe there was no first class system. If you think about the amount of money BCB is making compared to other boards when cricket itself is semi-new (Bangladesh being the last test playing nation) is huge if you ask me.

Again, with money comes a lot of responsibility as well. We need to use this cash for the greater good of cricket in BD. It might give us even more footing in the ICC meetings as we all know there is a power struggle there, which may not be good for us. So there are a lot of intangible benefits if cricket continues to grow at this rate for us. It might just be a number now, but 10 years down the line with compounding effects I will not be surprised to see BCB somewhere behind India, Australia or England in terms of power and richness.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

@tanvir_nus, Fantastic work and research

It is interesting to know how much sponsors are paying to get their names on team jerseys.

One curious question though, are they responsible for jersey design? Or some other entity does this?

I remembered a few years ago Robi or some company had a jersey design contest....that's why I asked....
Old April 22, 2017, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Akelemp, I think the sponsorship company decides on the jersey. They have designers or contracts it to some company. But they have designs for each series which I think should change. They should have one jersey for the whole season, that makes it easier for the fans to follow and like.

27th April is going to be the date the sponsorship deal is going to be sealed it seems. source (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMHRWJs7sM)

Base rate for the sponsorship deal is fixed at 60 crores or 3.6 Million USD per year and not 55 crores or 3.3 Million USD as previously expected.

If it goes through BCB is set to tie with England in terms of the returns from sponsorship which is fantastic, and as I said, in 10 years I think it will easily overtake even Australia and England in terms of revenue earned and may even become one of the richest boards out there after India. Curently England earns 3.6 Million USD per year and is ranked after India and Australia.

Also, I have a feeling BCB is going to earn much more than 60 crores from the deal, I guess we will know pretty soon.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:26 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Sponsorship is great. But ultimately what really brings in the dough is the TV rights. That's where the big boys really separate themselves from the rest. As good as this sounds, we are no where near those big boys as we would like to think. We may just edge out Srilanka, at best.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:46 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Erm it looks like Sri Lanka destroyed us there on the Tv rights. Sold for 60 mil whereas we sold ours for 20 mil. BTW, both sold for a 6 year period until 2020.
Old April 23, 2017, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Erm it looks like Sri Lanka destroyed us there on the Tv rights. Sold for 60 mil whereas we sold ours for 20 mil. BTW, both sold for a 6 year period until 2020.
Well, Tv sponsorship rights is more complicated to talk about. But if you think Sri Lanka destroyed us in there I wouldn't really agree. BCB organizes BPL as well, which has a broadcasting right of 82 million USD for 3 years, and SLC doesnt have their premier league as such. And SLC's 60 million you are hearing, isn't really 60 million, first of all it is not the net amount, you didn't count production cost, production cost is said to be 10-15 million, secondly a large part of it as I understand and correct me if I am wrong came from selling of the rights of Indian matches to Star TV. BCB does the same and I have to look up the amount.

There are a couple of other things I think needs to be mentioned. BCB is getting 20 million as a net value, the production cost of 20-25 million extra is not included in this amount. And BCB sold this right in 2014 for 6 years, in 2014 our team had lost all it's matches, lost to Afghanistan and Hong Kong and it was a dark chapter in our cricket and yes the national team's performance depends hugely on the amount we get. When 2020 comes, I expect this deal to reach BPL's deal which is about 120 million dollars, and possibly even more. For that we have to wait till 2020. In 10 years you will see these deals exponentially increased, but that's my opinion and prediction.

For now, this title sponsorship is very very important because it will give us a window into the future. What sort of deals are we looking for in the coming years, as this deal is part of setting the benchmark of the deals in the coming years.
Old April 23, 2017, 04:27 PM

Yet Bangladesh players get less money in salaries!
Old April 23, 2017, 05:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Man we're insanely lucky the head of Sharpooji is an Irish citizen lol.

Wasn't aware of them being shirt sponsors though, it was KPC but they ended their agreement and a replacement has not yet been announced.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:32 PM
Cricket Legend

April 29th was the last day for submission of the sponsorshp rights to BCB.

It seems like 5 companies have submitted
Quote:
It has been learnt that PRAN-RFL Group, Meghna Group, Bkash, Robi Axiata Limited and Grameenphone are going to participate in the sponsorship auction.
Eventhough the base price is 60crores, I won't be surprised if the bidding, lobbying and negotiating pushes the sponsorship to well above 70crores for the next season. Which is a whopping 4.3 million USD per year. Second to only India and Australia, this puts Bangladeshi the amount of revenue earned by title sponsorship at the 3rd place in the whole WORLD. WOW! 60crores already puts it at par with England for now though.

It remains to be seen though, how much BCB is going to actually earn from this. We will learn on May 3rd as it will be made public then. But one thing is for sure, BCB is going get even richer from variety of sponsorships as Bangladeshi companies are coming forward to spending some big bucks on the national team as our performances has become better and better on the field.

See, this is actually crazy. When I wrote this thread 55 crores for two years seemed actually like a big deal, never before had our title sponsorship came this high and it was a figure already competing with the world's highest earners, then the base price was set to 60crores, now we are talking 70 crores!!!!! Who knows what the final amount is going to be. That is exactly why I keep saying, wait another 10 years, BCB is going to be the second richest board in the world, you read it first here.

Source: http://www.bdcrictime.com/2017/04/fi...team-sponsors/
Old April 29, 2017, 11:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Lets hope its on par with what we are expecting. That might cause Malikbro to gain some sense.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 29, 2017, 11:50 PM
Cricket Legend

This is a damn good thread. Loving the insights. Keep 'em coming!

Does the BCB publish financial statements?
Old April 29, 2017, 11:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Shirt Sponsors:
WI digicel is 2 million pounds? That should bump them to #6.
Ireland = $2.1 mill.

That puts us #10.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Shirt Sponsors:
WI digicel is 2 million pounds? That should bump them to #6.
Ireland = $2.1 mill.

That puts us #10.
Yes good point, if someone could help me with the source for Digicel's sponsorship amount that would be great, I couldn't verify the 2.59 million USD per year.

The amount for Bangladesh is lower than the real amount too though, we got 2.66 million USD per year from Robi, and that amount is more than New Zealand's sponsorship. Need to build a new ranking for it after May 3rd.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Excellent thread. We r getting rich