facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old November 11, 2018, 12:49 AM
fuadomar fuadomar is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2011
Location: Lalmatia, Dhaka
Favorite Player: Bangladesh 11
Posts: 981

Gotta praise, Sheikh Hasina. According to the media, she instructed Shakib to concentrate on his game for now and said that, he has enough time in his hand to participate in an election next time.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old November 11, 2018, 12:52 AM
Rifat_02's Avatar
Rifat_02 Rifat_02 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 18, 2007
Posts: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuadomar
Gotta praise, Sheikh Hasina. According to the media, she instructed Shakib to concentrate on his game for now and said that, he has enough time in his hand to participate in an election next time.
Or it could be that Shakib backed out and told her he wasn't ready to do this , pretty sure Sheikh Hasina wants both of them to stand in this election for her party which is why Mashrafe and Shakib were entering this in the first place, but Shakib backed out probably with the excuse of concentrating on cricket.
The real story will rarely get out in this time of election, and shakib probably doesn't want to offend her by making it seem to public it was his decision to not participate, rather he ( or the PM's office) gave credit to her for changing his mind
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old November 11, 2018, 01:15 AM
Rinathq's Avatar
Rinathq Rinathq is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Posts: 6,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
Or it could be that Shakib backed out and told her he wasn't ready to do this , pretty sure Sheikh Hasina wants both of them to stand in this election for her party which is why Mashrafe and Shakib were entering this in the first place, but Shakib backed out probably with the excuse of concentrating on cricket.
The real story will rarely get out in this time of election, and shakib probably doesn't want to offend her by making it seem to public it was his decision to not participate, rather he ( or the PM's office) gave credit to her for changing his mind
So one day before the date, Shakib was lined up for participating.. then he meets the PM and then announcement comes out that he won't be participating... Which version seems more likely? I would say the first one....
(Not trying to praise or defend Hasina in any way)
__________________
My clicks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108789483@N05/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old November 11, 2018, 01:16 AM
NoName's Avatar
NoName NoName is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: April 9, 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 9,823

Lol I don't see Shakib as the type to be sticking around in BD after retiring when he can live a better life in the US, especially for his kids
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old November 11, 2018, 01:25 AM
Eshen's Avatar
Eshen Eshen is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: August 27, 2007
Posts: 13,385

^^ What would Shakib do in USA? Buy some gas stations?

He has much better income potential in Bangladesh, whether playing cricket or not.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old November 11, 2018, 02:38 AM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is online now
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 2,645

Quote:
আসন্ন জাতীয় সংসদ নির্বাচনে আওয়ামী লীগের মনোনয়ন ফরম নেওয়ার আগে প্রধানমন্ত্রী শেখ হাসিনাকে সালাম করে দোয়া নিয়েছেন জাতীয় ক্রিকেট দলের ওয়ানডে অধিনায়ক মাশরাফি বিন মুর্তজা।
Without the doa of PM/party lead, nothing is possible. Now that Mash has received doa, his bhobissot is UJJOL.
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.

Last edited by ToBeFair; November 11, 2018 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old November 11, 2018, 04:40 AM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is online now
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 2,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
Without the doa of PM/party lead, nothing is possible. Now that Mash has received doa, his bhobissot is UJJOL.
One user comment from PA about Mash's doa:

Quote:
আসল দোয়া নিয়ে ফেলেছে। এখন সাধারণ মানুষের দোয়া আর লাগবে না।😜
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old November 11, 2018, 09:22 AM
patriot's Avatar
patriot patriot is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Location: Glasgow,UK
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 1,719

Lost all respect I had for this guy named Mash. He could have become Hasinas lapdog or Khaledas Lapcat after retiring. Not at this time when he needs the entire country behind him with the world cup in mind.

Hasnt won a single trophy for Bangladesh and he thinks he is the next Imran Khan. What a Scumbag.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old November 11, 2018, 10:39 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
2019 WC Fantasy Winner
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 13,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Lost all respect I had for this guy named Mash. He could have become Hasinas lapdog or Khaledas Lapcat after retiring. Not at this time when he needs the entire country behind him with the world cup in mind.

Hasnt won a single trophy for Bangladesh and he thinks he is the next Imran Khan. What a Scumbag.
You never had any respect for Mash to begin with so quit the acting. You sound like more of a scumbag than mash
__________________
Caught Somewhere in Time
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old November 11, 2018, 12:09 PM
Rinathq's Avatar
Rinathq Rinathq is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Posts: 6,645

Let me say something to all those people that are criticizing and hating on Mashrafe for joining politics.

He is not running for a position to gain popularity or become filthy rich. He is literally the most popular and well known individual in our country! And no Mashrafe is not someone who can be pressured into doing anything.. if you think otherwise, well then you clearly have no clue who Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is!

Mashrafe is doing this for his home district Narail and NOT for his cricket fans! He knows the kind of position or power he needs to make a significant difference for his people and there is nothing wrong with that. And it's his call that he chose AL to represent! You may hate AL but if you choose to hate Mashrafe because of that then you were never a fan of him in the first place. He is the kind of leader that our country needs and not just our cricket team.

I applaud him for his dedication towards his district and going into a path which he knows will draw criticism. But then again, if Mash gave a **** about criticism, he would have left cricket 7 years ago!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old November 11, 2018, 01:47 PM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is online now
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 2,645

Going through Prothom Alo comments as well as social media reactions, the whole Bangladesh seems divided over Mash joining politics.

From his track record, no one can question Mash's intention. He is very passionate about Narail and the people of Narail.

But the reality of politics is - when you join it, not 100% of people will love you, even though love is what all politicians want. Therefore the many Mash fans who are resenting his decision today, simply cannot be dismissed as FAKE fans. They are true Mash fans, but they are simply struggling to come to terms with Bangladesh captain also representing a political party.

Mash as a citizen of Bangladesh definitely has the right to join any political party, but Mash was holding a position that unites 160 million people. For example, the Chief Justice of any country (the army chief of staff or similar position holders) also has political affiliation, but he never flaunts his political views or affiliation, because it does not bode well with the position he holds. I believe the captaincy of Bangladesh's most popular and successful sport is a similar position, affiliating with a party while being at the job simply did not bode well with 50% of the country.

Any way, all the best to Mash. Hope under him we will reach the semis in 2019 WC.
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old November 11, 2018, 04:33 PM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Posts: 8,628

The fact that these two are even considering running for office while they are both very much active international cricketers with the World Cup being around the corner is a blatant display of a lack of respect for both the national team as well as the democratic process of the country.

Both these roles should require wholeheartedness and an undivided commitment. While the national team not being a priority for Shakib is nothing new, I certainly expected much better from Mash. While I do not doubt his intentions or believe that there are any ulterior motives in play, the timing of his decision just reeks of opportunism. There was nothing stopping him from seeing out his national team commitments, building up his activism, policy and social service credentials and then seeking election in five years time. But he probably realises that his popularity has peaked and in five years he won't have the same clout he does now. The fact that the Awami League are likely to rob another election after having weakened the opposition and the institutions of democracy also likely played into this.

It is the sheer unprofessionalism of all this which is what disappoints me the most but perhaps I am asking for too much.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old November 11, 2018, 10:29 PM
LongStop LongStop is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 24, 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Favorite Player: VLC media player
Posts: 102

He has Sk Hasina's blessing, so he does not need people's vote any longer. He is already ELECTEDED. I congratulate him in advance for becoming MP but at the same he lost my respect by joining BD's dirty politics. We have seen what the BD's #1 goal keeper JOY has become after joining politics and SELECTED as MP. Mash wont be any different. Even if he tries he wont be able to keep him self clean. Sorry boss, you lost my respect even though you don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old November 11, 2018, 10:54 PM
Rinathq's Avatar
Rinathq Rinathq is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: January 1, 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Posts: 6,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStop
He has Sk Hasina's blessing, so he does not need people's vote any longer. He is already ELECTEDED. I congratulate him in advance for becoming MP but at the same he lost my respect by joining BD's dirty politics. We have seen what the BD's #1 goal keeper JOY has become after joining politics and SELECTED as MP. Mash wont be any different. Even if he tries he wont be able to keep him self clean. Sorry boss, you lost my respect even though you don't care.
Do u know Joy? He was a cader even from his soccer days. His whole family has a bad reputation after his mother died. I am from the same district as him and I have heard lots of things about his young days. Don't make assumptions
__________________
My clicks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108789483@N05/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old November 12, 2018, 12:00 AM
Roni_uk's Avatar
Roni_uk Roni_uk is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 22, 2007
Location: Dhaka, London, Sydney
Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir
Posts: 16,481

If Mash is joining politics, he should hand over the captaincy and retire before the WC. He shouldn't do both.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old November 12, 2018, 03:35 AM
adamnsu adamnsu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Location: Surrey
Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib
Posts: 13,889

Great that Shakib wasn’t given a slot as the BD team needs him. I think he will be a ruthless politician
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old November 12, 2018, 07:44 AM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 5,952

If anyone thought I am harsh on players, just wait till you see how much harsher I am on politicians.

I congratulate Mash on getting his papers, but he will basically begin his career in politics with a blank slate as far as I am concerned. Power changes a lot of people, and we shall fairly evaluate him on the job he does as a MP. No special favors for being ex captain.
__________________
#PrivatizeBCB
#PrivatizeBFF
The end of Rahim will mark a new great beginning for the complacency free Bangladesh!

Last edited by Roey Haque; November 12, 2018 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old November 12, 2018, 08:50 AM
tonmoy.dhaka tonmoy.dhaka is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2016
Posts: 1,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Lost all respect I had for this guy named Mash. He could have become Hasinas lapdog or Khaledas Lapcat after retiring. Not at this time when he needs the entire country behind him with the world cup in mind.

Hasnt won a single trophy for Bangladesh and he thinks he is the next Imran Khan. What a Scumbag.
Not sure how old you are, but once you reach a certain age, there comes a realization (for most people) that there are more important things in life than sports. He is doing this for the love of his city/district and country. We should respect that.

Mash the person is one of the nicest human being you will ever meet. I am still to meet a single person ever complaining about Mash. Even players who was not given much opportunities under Mash loves Mash.. So please do not use terms like "scumbag".. it only reflects badly on you.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old November 12, 2018, 08:59 AM
tonmoy.dhaka tonmoy.dhaka is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2016
Posts: 1,049

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStop
He has Sk Hasina's blessing, so he does not need people's vote any longer. He is already ELECTEDED. I congratulate him in advance for becoming MP but at the same he lost my respect by joining BD's dirty politics. We have seen what the BD's #1 goal keeper JOY has become after joining politics and SELECTED as MP. Mash wont be any different. Even if he tries he wont be able to keep him self clean. Sorry boss, you lost my respect even though you don't care.
Yes there are dirty politicians but there are also good politicians. Both AL and BNP has plenty of scumbags but there has been good ones in past and present. This is true for almost all professions in Bangladesh to be honest.

While police and politicians get the most flak, but personally I think two of the worst offenders for unethical practice in Bangladesh are the journalists and lawyers/Judges. I can elaborate further on that but the thread will get derailed.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old November 12, 2018, 02:36 PM
patriot's Avatar
patriot patriot is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Location: Glasgow,UK
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 1,719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
You never had any respect for Mash to begin with so quit the acting. You sound like more of a scumbag than mash
You must have been hiding in your cave when I posted positive things about Mash.

Most recent ones are here:

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...t=49802&page=3

and here

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...+leader+legend

But then with your 'room temperature' IQ, I only expect personal attacks rather than actual constructive opinion which you rarely have. Your posts at times make me wonder, getting that Moderator tag under your name must have been the greatest Achievement of your life.

What Mash does with his life/career is his choice. I do not think anyone sane has a problem with that. The timing of his decision is where his leadership qualities are in serious need of reassessment. As a leader and authority figure, your actions have a serious impact on the team and fans alike. Your fellow team members are likely to follow you down any positive/negative actions you choose. Most importantly, you are the bloody captain of a cricket crazy nation getting ready for an all-important world cup.

Was it necessary to add this excess baggage of your selfish desires on the team? What if there are some players within the team that have opposing views to AL? Would they see you as that same ‘captain, leader, legend, as before? Will you be ready for the consequences of your action if the team fails turn up at the World cup?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old November 12, 2018, 02:43 PM
SportingBD's Avatar
SportingBD SportingBD is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 20, 2016
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Posts: 4,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
You must have been hiding in your cave when I posted positive things about Mash.

Most recent ones are here:

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...t=49802&page=3

and here

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...+leader+legend

But then with your 'room temperature' IQ, I only expect personal attacks rather than actual constructive opinion which you rarely have. Your posts at times make me wonder, getting that Moderator tag under your name must have been the greatest Achievement of your life.

What Mash does with his life/career is his choice. I do not think anyone sane has a problem with that. The timing of his decision is where his leadership qualities are in serious need of reassessment. As a leader and authority figure, your actions have a serious impact on the team and fans alike. Your fellow team members are likely to follow you down any positive/negative actions you choose. Most importantly, you are the bloody captain of a cricket crazy nation getting ready for an all-important world cup.

Was it necessary to add this excess baggage of your selfish desires on the team? What if there are some players within the team that have opposing views to AL? Would they see you as that same ‘captain, leader, legend, as before? Will you be ready for the consequences of your action if the team fails turn up at the World cup?
Mash is serving the country! by being a member of parliament. Should that not inspire players? There is proven track record of how much Mash does for his community, his local people. He has already shown what a great leader he is for Bangladesh, representing us, giving his all. Now he wishes to make more impact on the lives of people, especially his local people.

This should surely inspire other cricketers?

On the other hand, I believe Shakib is going into politics for his personal gain.
__________________
My Twitter: www.twitter.com/Bangla13c
The tongue is like a Lion. If you let it loose, it will wound someone - Imam Ali (R.A)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old November 12, 2018, 05:22 PM
tejkuni tejkuni is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 20, 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
.........................................What Mash does with his life/career is his choice. I do not think anyone sane has a problem with that. The timing of his decision is where his leadership qualities are in serious need of reassessment................
Well Mash is almost close to his retirement and the next election is after 5 years. I wish the election is after the World cup. Considering the situation, timing is not that bad (unlike Shakib). He will win without spending much time for campaign and after that he can focus on cricket for few months, retire and focus on politics. A lot of cricketers are working or doing business and at the same time playing cricket (for example Dhoni).
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old November 13, 2018, 04:40 PM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Posts: 8,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
Well Mash is almost close to his retirement and the next election is after 5 years. I wish the election is after the World cup. Considering the situation, timing is not that bad (unlike Shakib). He will win without spending much time for campaign and after that he can focus on cricket for few months, retire and focus on politics. A lot of cricketers are working or doing business and at the same time playing cricket (for example Dhoni).
So you are saying that running a restaurant or something in your down time is the same as serving as a Member of Parliament of your country.

Like I said, both jobs (being the captain of your country or being a MP) should be the ultimate priority. You can't do both as one if not both will undoubtedly suffer due to a lack of commitment. Of course you can have other interests but everything else must take a backseat when you are a MP or a captain of a major sports team. If Mash is truly driven by the intention of serving the people of his area then surely he wants to devote himself completely to the role and not have any distractions much less a World Cup in under a years time.

I am not aware of any other instance of an active high-profile athlete serving concurrently as a lawmaker. Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't @ me with examples from Papua New Guinea. Mash should have just waited and avoided the controversy.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old November 13, 2018, 04:46 PM
SportingBD's Avatar
SportingBD SportingBD is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 20, 2016
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Posts: 4,975

Isnt Nazmul Hossain Papon an MP? does that stop him from being president of BCB? or a director of bemixco? do those stop him from serving the people, his community etc? I can think of many others in BD politics, who have multiple roles (full time) and they are still MP etc. They seem to be doing aright, especially since they get re-elected by their local people.
__________________
My Twitter: www.twitter.com/Bangla13c
The tongue is like a Lion. If you let it loose, it will wound someone - Imam Ali (R.A)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old November 13, 2018, 04:48 PM
aklemalp's Avatar
aklemalp aklemalp is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: September 5, 2009
Location: Guyana,South America
Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall
Posts: 28,707

Off-topic:

There were instances of a cricketer representing his country/territory in two disciplines: Soldier and cricketer


Adam Sanford
Sheldon Cotterell
__________________
“Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”
― Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi - مولوی
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket