facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 2, 2003, 11:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Touching Article by Muhammad Jafar Iqbal in Prohom Alo

http://www.prothom-alo.net/newhtmlne...ate=2003-10-03

It's the third article from the top titled "shadashidhe kotha"

[Edited on 3-10-2003 by Arnab]

Old October 2, 2003, 11:28 PM
Retired BC Admin

Very touchy.
Old October 3, 2003, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Very sad. However, this article talks about a problem that is really part of a much bigger problem. The main problem in bangladesh is law and order. This anti-hindu offense would not be there, if law and order was estublished.

You think hindu girls are not safe? How about the truth that any girl is not safe? Forget the village, it is not even safe in Dhaka. My mon was telling me, the other day, she got a phone call from "kala Jahangir" who is apperently a top terror and wants some money or else someone will be killed.

The cops are even scared of the terrorists. Read the news on how scared the cops are after RAT arrested Liakot.

This whole thing is just sad. We, people like you and me, are probably not even 1% of the true Bangladeshi. Seems like, the other 99% has gone the opposite way.
Old October 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Yes, for the immediate future it is primarily a law and order. But dare I say please add Saudi Arabia (it is the only issue in which I agree with the neo-cons). Has anyone a clue how much this country has its claws in Bangladesh's society. i.e wahabbism's spread?

Also disturbingly no debate in BD about this!. Unfortunately, prejudice is going to be there even if you solve the law and order and material problems. Even in heterogenous societies such as Malaysia, Indonesia or Singapore they have not managed to solve their sectarian problems. Singapore is way ahead in every way but still you cannot erase generations of prejudice. To do that takes a slow evolutionary change in human consciousness. That's why I admire multicultural societies because they represent hope for a definetely irreversible globalised world.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:20 PM
Club Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by oracle
.... "I say please add Saudi Arabia (it is the only issue in which I agree with the neo-cons). Has anyone a clue how much this country has its claws in Bangladesh's society. i.e wahabbism's spread? "

Care to explain? I did not get the link of this with the humiliation of humanity. One thing I never understand whatever a muslim, who may be a muslim by birth only, does why Islam gets the blame.

The main issue is law and order. Strict law and order can significantly suppress the negative outcome of prejudices (as in here in US).
Old October 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Care to explain? I did not get the link of this with the humiliation of humanity. One thing I never understand whatever a muslim, who may be a muslim by birth only, does why Islam gets the blame.
Explanation: Agree with you on law and order but disagree if you if think I was blaming Islam. For clarifications sake:
1) I certainly do not associate Saudi Arabia with Islam. Some people may but this dude, NO!
Just happens to be where our prophet (PBUH) was born.Period.Period.Period. End of discussion.
2) Saudi Arabia is a party to the increased communal disharmony in Bangladesh through their support of mosque building (nothing wrong with that but this inadvertently introduces their brand of
Islam, i.e Wahabbism, which does have an impact on our society). It' s the same argument against christian missionaries preaching their doctrine in a foreign landscape. What's happening in Bangladesh as regards this new intolerence is an aberration. We also had a harmonious and rich tradition of sufism which any bangali should be proud of.
Old October 3, 2003, 03:24 PM
Club Cricketer

Thanks for the clarifications. I agree with you on the first point.
But i am still a little confused. How come an Islamic 'ism' (assuming Wahabbism has some relation to islam))can instigate people to abuse others. IMHO these extreme things are just a perverted outbusrt of dissatisfaction, frustration. I would have blamed this 'isms' if it were wide-spread (a la the talibanism in Afganistan.), on the basis that it failed to curb the 'poshu' in human. But thats certainly not the case in Bangaldesh.
its not isms. We are the problem. We failed to maintain law and order. We failed to provide necessary food to our people. We failed to provide jobs to the eligibles. Most importantly we failed to give a dream to our youngs. thats why they seek refuge of drugs, arms, abusing people, etc. And blaming this to some ism is a short-cut. I dont want to take that, no one can penetrate my house if I am careful.
Sorry for digressing a bit.
The "intolerance" is simply a failure of our politics. Once the pary changed, some thought they can get away with whatever they do , and took the easy victims, the minorities. And they really get away, thanks to both parties: one tried to get political benefit out of it, the other tried to hide it. Shame on me.

Thank you again.