facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 5, 2013, 02:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Respect for Athar Ali khan. Anyone remember that comment by Athar when Aftab hit that 6 in Cardiff. "Take that Australia" that was epic. what I like abt Athar is the sheer honesty in his commentary.

Old November 5, 2013, 10:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MashTamimFiqur al Hasan

Athar Ali Khan after Bangladesh whitewash Windies in their own home: '....it has been a blackwash...errr....banglawash!'

i will never forget that moment
Old November 6, 2013, 06:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I'm with you mayne. I respect Athar's role in the national team in the past, but can't stand his commentary. I raise my glass to that rant.
I'm on the same boat. I like Shamim's commentary more, but he gets on my nerves a lot.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

As far as I go Athar Ali Khan is a living legend of Bangladesh cricket. As a cricketer he was fiesty even though he had a very little opportunity at the highest level. As a commentator he is positively biased...towards Bangladesh He has backspine. No matter what the Ram (iz) Paza and his likes throw at him and BD our own Ata will be there to give it back to them. I simply like him as to how he almost never forget to highlight our very limited successes be it individuals or team. Let alone foreign commies even that ShamCha doesnt even know most of our players or their achievements.

Some folks here mock Ata for his inability to speak the "Queen's English". I suggest they look elsewhere to meet the need of their Englishophilia. Shakespeare, Dickens, Blake, D H Lawrence or Wordsworths come to mind. Cricket isnt a linguistic or literary seminary. Having said all that, I do get somewhat a little annoyed at times when our Ata gets a little too "cocky" or "lippy" with other fellow commies. Sometimes he just need to take the chill pill and breath a little bit more and curb his passion and excitement a wee bit.

No, I'm not embarrassed by him. I LOVE him.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
As far as I go Athar Ali Khan is a living legend of Bangladesh cricket. As a cricketer he was fiesty even though he had a very little opportunity at the highest level. As a commentator he is positively biased...towards Bangladesh He has backspine. No matter what the Ram (iz) Paza and his likes throw at him and BD our own Ata will be there to give it back to them. I simply like him as to how he almost never forget to highlight our very limited successes be it individuals or team. Let alone foreign commies even that ShamCha doesnt even know most of our players or their achievements.

Some folks here mock Ata for his inability to speak the "Queen's English". I suggest they look elsewhere to meet the need of their Englishophilia. Shakespeare, Dickens, Blake, D H Lawrence or Wordsworths come to mind. Cricket isnt a linguistic or literary seminary. Having said all that, I do get somewhat a little annoyed at times when our Ata gets a little too "cocky" or "lippy" with other fellow commies. Sometimes he just need to take the chill pill and breath a little bit more and curb his passion and excitement a wee bit.

Top post. You spoke my mind.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan

well said

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old November 7, 2013, 01:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

i like athar.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Athar is just fine. I have listen to worse ones and I have been listening for long time. He can definitely improve.
1) Be little more impartial and praise a bit more when it is about the visiting players
2) Do not use as much superlatives
3) Slow down when excited (this will eliminate most of "amms..." and stuttered fragments
4) Cut down the use of phrase "my word ...."

He is definitely likable and has more than adequate cricketing knowledge.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I love athar.
Old November 8, 2013, 02:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

He needs to check his emotion in check. He starts stammering when he gets too excited or try to say too many things at once and also he needs to shorten his sentences. He takes up 80% of the total time, leaving other commentators either to agree with him or to remain silent. Other than that, his commentary is ok.
Old November 9, 2013, 03:17 AM
Banned

u guys hating on Athar for no reason...
1. don't forget he is carrying a country's commentary that had the horrible period of 2003 and 2008 amongst many more disaster moments. And because of that like it or not, other commentators have bullied and be-littled Athar on the mic in commentary.
2. in terms of being biassed he is improving. in the NZ neries he did quite well. He definitely did better than Shamim Choudhury, who isn't that bad either.
3. There are FAR worse commentators even from India, and YES I SAID IT, Laxman Shiva... for whom everyone is not a great turner of the ball.... and the less said about Pak commentators the better
4. 'MY WORD' let the guy have his catch phrase... it's better than whatever siddu spews out.
5. We need more commentators, He can't be doing this on his own w shamim forever. Give him a break.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:30 PM
Cricket Sage

This thread rocks even without the creator of this thread.

Chaliyeee jao dadra chaliyee jao.

So, is this Ata better than older Ata? Is he better or worse than Ataul Haq Mullik?
Old December 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
After commentating in so many matches and having spent so much time with the team, I wish they at least shared some interesting anecdotes!

What if Isam gave up his quill and parchment and took up a mike?
I wouldn't mind taking up the microphone, to be honest.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

AAK is still infinitely better and less annoying than Shamim. Whenever SC takes the mic, I hit the "mute" button and jam to whatever is on my iTunes.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 30, 2013, 10:55 PM
Club Cricketer

Initially, I thought I will talk about Atahar, but I got completely stumped by when you brought in Shamim. Atahar may not be great, even he creates funny accent in an endeavor to portray himself like a movie star, but ohhhhhh Shamim is a DEVIL compared to Atahar.

I remember during the (not the last one, but during 5-0 whitewash) BD-NZ series, Shamim was commenting with Danny Morison and he was stupidly lamenting about why did umpire didn't give out a NZ batsman. Danny was so shocked in disbelief, he could only ask Shamim "Is the umpire your brother-in-law?"

In another instance, Shamim was giving pace bowling knowledge to Michael holding. You should have seen Michael holding's face, as if holding wanted to pull off his own hairs in agony.

Everytime, this KUFA Shamim talks, a BD wicket is gone...
Old December 30, 2013, 11:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
Why don't you? It's not like the commie box is full of BD commies.....you should have a shot if you have mamma-chacha.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
You have a good voice Isam bhai, should definitely give it a shot, but not at the expense of giving up journalism, I think you should be able to do both successfully.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Mark Nicholas, Ian Chappell et al write regularly from Cricinfo while also commentating in matches. You should go for it, if you're given the opportunity!

In fact, a home series against SL would be the perfect opportunity to trial some new commentators. I'm guessing Russell Arnold & co would be reluctant to come to BD at such a time.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

ok I get shamim choudhury can get annoying at times, but i like the way he sells a shot especially by a BD player, when he says 'what a supPERB shot by tamim iqbal' I just don't like him saying 'going, going and.....[long pause] gone for... 6 runs.' Athar is not that bad... i don't get why he gets all this heat... have yuy heard that good for nothing pompous mr know it all sikh navjot singh siddu commentate? it is comedy,... of how stupid he sounds with those awful awful punch lines... the punch being not strong enough to detract a mosquito from its path of flight.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by affan_ayan
Initially, I thought I will talk about Atahar, but I got completely stumped by when you brought in Shamim. Atahar may not be great, even he creates funny accent in an endeavor to portray himself like a movie star, but ohhhhhh Shamim is a DEVIL compared to Atahar.

I remember during the (not the last one, but during 5-0 whitewash) BD-NZ series, Shamim was commenting with Danny Morison and he was stupidly lamenting about why did umpire didn't give out a NZ batsman. Danny was so shocked in disbelief, he could only ask Shamim "Is the umpire your brother-in-law?"

In another instance, Shamim was giving pace bowling knowledge to Michael holding. You should have seen Michael holding's face, as if holding wanted to pull off his own hairs in agony.

Everytime, this KUFA Shamim talks, a BD wicket is gone...
Good to see you and happy new year!

This may seem to be slightly over the top but I find Shamim or ShamCha simply repulsive. He has zero knowledge of cricket, doesn´t know half of the Bangladeshi cricketers on the field, always worship, suck up or "big up" the well known foreign cricketers while puts down/criticizes local players like they dont exist. He tries to cover up his lack of cricket knowledge by talking absolute non-cricket crap or simply parroting or agreeing with his fellow but real cricket comms. Most of the time he confuses one cricketer with the other and (while appears to be under the influence) simply mispronounced their name...e.g AMANUL (Anamul).

His stocks in trade (amongst other):

...delectable
...just what the doctor ordered
...its going...going...gone or has it? Beats the "kordomakto akash ebong meghacchonno maat" or "sojure bat chalalen..bol chole jachse suja boundarir bahire ebong ekti matro run" hands down.

I don´t know why but almost everything about him reminds me of Uncle Toms in all walks of life. In real life he might be a wonderful fella but his on-mic persona is excruciatingly intolerable.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
what makes you wanna pick up the microphone?