facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Should we be worried about the players' weight problem?

Ayo,

What's popping Tiger fans? Still enjoying the victory buzz? I love it when we beat India. Breaking the hearts of a billion is sure fun.

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm worried about Tamim's and Mortaza's burgeoning weight. In Tamim's case, I'm willing to overlook, boundaries are his forte afterall, and he has some fat genes embedded in him , being the nephew of Akram Khan.

But Mashrafe's bowling ability might be hampered because of his weight. Yeah, he did good in Asia Cup, but a true fan looks at all points of contentions, even amidst victory. So while Mashrafe continues to be dedicated in his efforts, and hopefully keeps doing well, his weight will catch up with him, and not in a good way.

Our team nutritionist bust be looked into. What diet is he/she giving our players? Masharafe should cut back on the biryani,coke, and Tangail sweets, and hop on the treadmill a bit more often.

Peace out,

Roey

Old March 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

A few extra pounds might be ok as long as they don't affect stamina. Look at the Aussies and some of the Saffers. Look at Hayden - muscle under fat. Tamim does seem to tire quickly, so he needs to work on that and losing some weight or quitting smoking might help.

Everyone is different and it's all about the stamina. Ranatunga never ran out of breath, while running himself out was all that Inzy ever did, besides scoring a gazillion runs.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Tamim does seem to tire quickly, so he needs to work on that and losing some weight or quitting smoking might help.
Tamim smokes? Oh shyt. Thanks a lot, now this gives me more reason not to quit.

But what about Mortaza? You just describe the batsmen, and as I've said before it is a lesser problem for them. For bowlers, it's far more serious, as it slows you down, affecting your rhythm.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I'd have Darren Gough open the bowling for us any day.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, interesting point Roey.

So I did an analysis...
for the last 10 years I looked at the players who were less than 22 (Tamim just turned 23) who have played against G8 nations an batted at pos 1 to 7 and have more than 500 runs to their name.
I then calculated what percentage of their runs were run (they actually ran between the wickets) as a function of their total runs earned... this I label as '123/TotalRuns'. It shows a matter of mentality, work ethic, rotating the strike, fitness.

Here is the table, Tamim does not fare well.... And in the whole world, our Roq is the hardest young worker!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

55% of Tamim's Runs are from boundaries. Compare that to Shakib's 37% and Roq's 28%.

Last edited by zsayeed; March 28, 2012 at 02:09 PM..
Old March 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Default @zsayeed

Great analysis. You could be the team statistician. So yeah, basically this proves my point, that Tamim will be able to evade his weight problems, due to his high boundary rate.

But the revelation on Roqibul. Amazing stuff! This combined with your previous analysis on batting under pressure, in which Roqibul did well too,I'm really beginning to consider whether he deserves a recall. But in the middle, I saw him in one of the series, and his confidence was totally shattered, don't know what happened. But before that he was a rock.Even when the team faltered around him, you could bank on him to surpass 30. Easy.

If the Rock does get his chance, I hope he makes full use of it.

Peace out,

Roey
Old March 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Default @Roey Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Ayo,
yo yoy o wassup homeschizzle

Quote:
What's popping Tiger fans? Still enjoying the victory buzz? I love it when we beat India. Breaking the hearts of a billion is sure fun.
yo wahts cracking daug yo yo yo...yes we are still enjoying the victory buzz. stoned dude.

Quote:

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm worried about Tamim's and Mortaza's burgeoning weight.
made me look up the word

Quote:
In Tamim's case, I'm willing to overlook, boundaries are his forte afterall, and he has some fat genes embedded in him , being the nephew of Akram Khan.
I'm willing to overlook too. He is a fort holder.

Quote:
But Mashrafe's bowling ability might be hampered because of his weight. Yeah, he did good in Asia Cup, but a true fan looks at all points of contentions, even amidst victory. So while Mashrafe continues to be dedicated in his efforts, and hopefully keeps doing well, his weight will catch up with him, and not in a good way.
You write so eloquently! Is that really you behind the mic?

Quote:
Our team nutritionist bust be looked into. What diet is he/she giving our players? Masharafe should cut back on the biryani,coke, and Tangail sweets, and hop on the treadmill a bit more often.
Absolutely agree. I wonder if they ever do treadmill. And love Tangali sweets.

Quote:
Peace out,

Roey
See you soon Roey bhai.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
made me look up the word
OMG 2012 really is the end of the world
Old March 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

hayden was a beast with muscles, he could mistime the ball or even hit one handed for six. tamim is not that strong, he needs to lose weight and build muscles to hit more sixes.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Now,

If I took the age limit out and looked at openers only in the last 10 years against G8 only and see what the actual runs-ran/Total run is, Tamim does worse in the running between wickets then his slightly older compatriots.

(Minimum 500 runs to qualify to be on this table as well).

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Last edited by zsayeed; March 28, 2012 at 05:38 PM..
Old March 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Great analysis. You could be the team statistician. So yeah, basically this proves my point, that Tamim will be able to evade his weight problems, due to his high boundary rate.

But the revelation on Roqibul. Amazing stuff! This combined with your previous analysis on batting under pressure, in which Roqibul did well too,I'm really beginning to consider whether he deserves a recall. But in the middle, I saw him in one of the series, and his confidence was totally shattered, don't know what happened. But before that he was a rock.Even when the team faltered around him, you could bank on him to surpass 30. Easy.

If the Rock does get his chance, I hope he makes full use of it.

Peace out,

Roey
Thanks Bro, It does seem Roq is solid and hard working.
In fact when I do the analysis for the last two years Naeem Islam stands out earning 69% of his runs between the wickets. Tamim in the last two years have averaged 52% running btw wickets. Imrul is higher in the ranking than Tamim and has a decent average as well against G8s.http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting
Old March 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Default @ zeeshan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
You write so eloquently! Is that really you behind the mic?
Thanks. But is there a contradictory relationship between writing well and rapping I'm missing out on? If anything, it would make sense for one to excel at both, as both arts require a pleasing prose and vocab.

Peace out,

Roey
Old March 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Okay, Now zooming in on Tamim's evolution of runs ran over total run percentage (the higher the ratio the more running between wickets). I also plot his average's progression over the seasons in red.

His running between the wickets and average are 54.51% correlated. If he learns to run between the wickets he will increase his average in moderate likelihood (but we should know that about any batsmen, but in Tami'ms case this is a deficiency with room for growth). In fact, for the last three years his running between the wickets and average are 80% correlated! That should make the message quite lucid.

Bottom Line - Work on your fitness and run!

Run Forrest Tamim Run....
Old March 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Okay, Now zooming in on Tamim's evolution of runs ran over total run percentage (the higher the more running/between wickets). I also plot his average's progression over the seasons in red. His running between the wickets and average are 54.51% correlated. If he learns to run between the wickets he will increase his average in moderate likelihood (but we should know that about any batsmen, but in Tami's case this is a deficiency with room for growth).
LOL, zsayeed. You keep proving my point further and further. Thanks to you, it is now established beyond doubt, Tamim is paying the price because of his weight. His inherent skills may hide that fact well for months, even years. But it has to be put at a stop sometime in his career. I wonder if the team statistician and nutritionist follow this forum or not, but if they do, they should take a look at this thread and pay heed to the ominous signs.

Solid work once again. Many thanks.

Peace out,

Roey
Old March 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
LOL, zsayeed. You keep proving my point further and further. Thanks to you, it is now established beyond doubt, Tamim is paying the price because of his weight. His inherent skills may hide that fact well for months, even years. But it has to be put at a stop sometime in his career. I wonder if the team statistician and nutritionist follow this forum or not, but if they do, they should take a look at this thread and pay heed to the ominous signs.

Solid work once again. Many thanks.

Peace out,

Roey
Thanks!
Also get back to the lifestyle, training, nutritionist that was there in 2009 season. What happened in his personal, professional life off the field at that time?
Old March 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Wow, the thread suddenly became very intelligent with zsayeed bhai's analysis. Bhai, I am tempted to ask now. I know you have a PhD. In statistics?

This data mining reminds of the movie Moneyball. If only we could apply this numbers into real life performances.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Wow, the thread suddenly became very intelligent with zsayeed bhai's analysis. Bhai, I am tempted to ask now. I know you have a PhD. In statistics?

This data mining reminds of the movie Moneyball. If only we could apply this numbers into real life performances.
No My PhD is in EE, especially in Statistical Signal Processing area which is basically oodles of Statistics, Kalman Filtering, Estimation, Maximum Likelihood Analysis.

Thanks Brother.

Too bad I don't have Tamim's weight, BP and Hearrt Rate year over year - then we could really hone in.
And add to that the Girl-Friend factor and number of trips abroad... JKing

We could really design the ultimate player! Designer Player!....ummm Eugenics.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Sayeed bhai, the numbers speak volumes. I haven't seen running between the wicket statistics like this before. You also have other such analysis in different threads. If I were you, I would compile them all together and email it to BCB or the team's statistician. Maybe we can publish in BC and other daily newspapers too. Just my thought. It will just bother me to have this valuable data and not do anything with it.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Tamim is the only worry. Mash's issues with his weight are recurring. He looked fine to me in the Asia Cup but with his team out of the DPL and with no cricket for months I'm just worried that his infamous bhuri might be making a comeback for the Zimbabwe series. The rest of the players are fine although some could do with gaining a few pounds.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Sayeed bhai, the numbers speak volumes. I haven't seen running between the wicket statistics like this before. You also have other such analysis in different threads. If I were you, I would compile them all together and email it to BCB or the team's statistician. Maybe we can publish in BC and other daily newspapers too. Just my thought. It will just bother me to have this valuable data and not do anything with it.
If you guy's can give me a pointer as to who would listen I would be happy to be able to disseminate. Any suggestions? I can do a write-up and then send it over to the person through whoever is kind enough to connect. Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

In fact I could augment the analysis by looking at probabilities of growth based on the above observations. A sort of prediction if you will, with caveats of course. Perhaps look at other BD and non -BD players to bolster the analysis.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

shouldn't we rather talk abt under weight.
except Mash,TI & Ryad(who is very properly built) no one to be concerned for over weight.
Shafi,Rubel,Nasir,Sakib,Jahurul & many others look way to slim next to players from other countries.
I feel like they need to eat & build some muscles.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

look at player's from other countries who hit six with ease like watson, gayle. even warner who isnt a big guy but hits huge sixes easily one of the reasons is because he has strong muscles.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

^^Shakib, Imrul, Roq, Junaid is quite fit if you look at post 5 with good running between the wickets.
They do not have any problem from endurance as we see from data over the long run and also from visual observations. Some time visual observations may be prejudiced - but when you look at un-emotional data, then it becomes clear they have no problems. It is not weight per say that creates an issue - it is how you endure.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKBoss
look at player's from other countries who hit six with ease like watson, gayle. even warner who isnt a big guy but hits huge sixes easily one of the reasons is because he has strong muscles.
Watson has a poorer average than Tamim in running between the wickets - because he can. Watson is at 44.2% and Gayle eve worse - 38.5%. Majority of their runs come from big hitting. That is a different story. It is from their build that they can do that. But Tamim and most Bangladeshi's are not built like that. Whatever the build - it should follow style of play. Tamim would do well to run more between wickets. His performance trend states that.

(Gayle was not in my table because he was too far down the order- also Sehwag is at 35.4%).
I am appending the table above with the rest of the players that I did not post.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Watson has a poorer average than Tamim in running between the wickets - because he can. Watson is at 44.2% and Gayle eve worse - 38.5%. Majority of their runs come from big hitting. That is a different story. It is from their build that they can do that. But Tamim and most Bangladeshi's are not built like that. Whatever the build - it should follow style of play. Tamim would do well to run more between wickets. His performance trend states that.

(Gayle was not in my table because he was too far down the order- also Sehwag is at 35.4%).
I am appending the table above with the rest of the players that I did not post.
yea i was just saying if tamim was built like those guys then he could afford to not run as many singles.. but since he isnt he should improve his fitness.