facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 9, 2012, 11:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I fail to understand as 'Gurantor' , Why isnt the BCB just paying off the players and shutting the doors to people like Tim May who would pounce on every opportunity to grab some media attention.

Old June 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Funny really. 11% of total payment left unpaid and they are making noise and taking legal action.
BPL becoming the 2nd most lucrative T20 Domestic League causing discomfort for a lot of people around the world for obvious reasons. Mr May is just pimping for them.

Just to put things in perspective, (but not comparing because the two leagues are world apart), when Kochi Tuskers Kerala failed to make payment to their players, which they still havent after over a year, no one makes a single noise and I dont think I've ever heard a single word from
Mr Pimping May about his "concern".

Here is the news article, dated 30th March 2012.

===
Players left unpaid as BCCI, Kochi team owners pass the buck
Posted: Mar 30, 2012 at 0350 hrs IST (Mumbai, New Delhi)

Players of the disbanded IPL team Kochi Tuskers Kerala (KTK) haven’t yet received 30 to 40 per cent of their promised payment from last season. In case of KTK’s leading player from 2011, S Sreesanth, the unpaid amount comes to Rs 1.58 crores.

The figure due to foreign players is expected to higher. The delay in payment has surprised the players since BCCI was party to the tripartite contract they signed with the franchise.

There is a general feeling among the former KTK players, most of whom have been picked by other franchises, that they are in for the long haul as both the BCCI and the team owners are passing the buck and are refusing to address their problem. The aggrieved players allege that the team owners have stopped answering phones and the Indian board officials have virtually washed their hands of the issue.

Sreesanth confirmed to The Indian Express that he is yet to receive full payment for IPL-4. “I haven’t got my payment yet, I’m still to receive Rs 1.58 cr,” he said. It is also learnt that wicket-keeper batsman Parthiv Patel is waiting for an installment of Rs 50 lakh.

When contacted, the IPL commissioner Rajeev Shukla refused to comment. Another top officials said their hands are tied. “Players will have to go to court to get their dues. We have encashed the bank guarantee of Rs 150 cr but KTK has asked for arbitration. So we can’t pay the players as of now,” a top BCCI official said.

A representative of franchise made it clear that they had no intention of paying the players.

Mukesh Patel, chairman of Kochi Tuskers, said, “There is no payment to be made from our side. In fact, it’s the BCCI, who has to pay us. They have not given our money back. As far as Kochi is concerned we have made payments to all our players, including all the support staff members.”

The BCCI took the decision to terminate KTK’s contract after the business group that bought the rights failed to pay their full bank guarantee.

Foreign players suffer too

Heath Mills, New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association chief executive, said, “There has been an issue with regard to a certain amount of outstanding fees that Brendon McCullum is to receive from the Kochi IPL team. We have been trying to get in touch with people in the Kochi team, basically the owners but we haven’t got a response yet. At the moment no one is responding and it is unclear as to who is responsible. We are aware that the BCCI has advised players to take up the issue of non-payment of full fees with the Kochi team owners. As of now that is the route we are pursuing but if we continue to get no response we will have to consult the BCCI with regard to the next course of action.”

On termination of the franchise, the BCCI had promised that it would look after the interests of the affected players. However, that hasn’t happened. Kedar Jadhav who turned out for the Kochi Tuskers said, “The communication from the BCCI has also been confusing.” Jadhav who plays for Maharashtra in the Ranji Trophy had a two-year-contract worth Rs 20 lakh with the Tuskers. “They still owe me 35 per cent of the money promised to me last year,” Jadhav said.

Jadhav’s teammate B Akhil has decided to take the franchise to court over the non-payment of his dues. “I haven’t received 40 per cent of my fee for last year,” Akhil said.

Akhil had signed a 2-year-contract worth Rs 30 lakh. “The Indian cricket board should have ensured that the domestic players were accommodated in other teams.”

Source : http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...e-buck/930240/

===

Where is Tim May and his FICA ???
It is very clear that they are trying to create an issue to tarnish the image of BPL which is becoming the 2nd most lucrative T20 league. If BPL continues to grow, soon it will draw more international stars and will be more attractive league than SA T20, Aussie Big Bash or English T20 league.

Now, some folks are helpless against the might of India in cricket world, so they cant utter anything against IPL and lets it be. But when it comes to Bangladesh and BPL, the world is falling apart for them and they have to stop it at any cost.

Remember how they stopped English wicket keeper Matt Prior to even participate in the auction ???

Being said that, BCB and the team franchise should have kept their commitment and paid the players at an agreed time frame.

BCB should take a hard stance and fight back to shut May & gong before it gets too late.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 10, 2012, 05:10 AM

+1, Rabz

BTW, who is this Ms May!? Cheerleader!!?
Old June 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Tim May is FICA president. Players union. Bangladeshi players are also protected by this union.

I agree that the percentage remaining is small, but it is still a breach of contract and BCB not communicating back partly caused this escalation.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
Administrator

PS: FICA and BCCI does not see eye to eye so let's not find an eendia conspiracy under every rock. That would be low on our part.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Zunaid bhai, my example of IPL was for reference, thats all.
Nothing against India or IPL or any other league in the world.

My point was, non payment by franchise owners have had happened in the past in other leagues which are far more organised and professional than ours and also running into its 5th season. While as, BPL just concluded its inaugural edition and we all know it was hastily arranged and there were some lacking on part of BCB.

But to go out all guns blazing with 'gelo gelo shob gelo' attitute by Tim May and FICA is just over the top response to issues that will have to be solved. BCB can't get away without paying the players, this is not local para cricket we are talking about. This is an international event.

Ofcourse our incompetent Board and franchise owners paved the way for this situation to even arise in the first place and they should be held liable for tarnishing the country's image, but it doesnt warrant the response to that magnitude of what we see from FICA and May.

I think we should hit back with a report of our own, in collaboration with BCB stating the facts and pressurize cricinfo to publish it. Image needs to be restored and names needed to be cleared before it gets too late.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

I think we should hit back with a report of our own, in collaboration with BCB stating the facts and pressurize cricinfo to publish it. Image needs to be restored and names needed to be cleared before it gets too late.
They did come back strongly. See the BPL governing council press release a few posts back that I posted- this was given equal billing by Cricinfo.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:00 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
PS: FICA and BCCI does not see eye to eye so let's not find an eendia conspiracy under every rock. That would be low on our part.
Exactly FICA is the no.1 enemy as far as BCCI is concerned as they(BCCI) do not allow player associations to flourish. FICA wouldn't do zilch against BCCI because they know how BCCI does business.

but why the situation gone this wrong? BCB should have predicted this long ago and should have done something to get it away from press. Totally a bad advertisement for BPL2.

Hope it get resolved quickly.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:04 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I don't think anyone here is finding a link to India or BCCI. What just irks me is that these so called association turn a blind eye to many past incidences, yet they suddenly remember what their so called jobs are when it comes to Bangladesh. It just baffles me as to how they always love to highlight the inefficiencies of the "third world" yet turn a blind eye to their own.

Yes, the players might have been payed late, but I'm sure not one of them are dying of hunger because of this. And let's be frank, the sum they are getting are quite a lot for a less than a month of cricket.

So Mr. May, I am sorry that FICA does not get any direct share from BPL's revenue. And I am also sorry that you are powerless to stop any English or any International players from joining BPL for next season. But I'm sure your advice about how dirty and corrupt Bangladesh really is will be much appreciated by the players; especially when absurd amount of cash will be waived in front of them.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator

I see some attempt to browbeat a lowly cricket board. The FICA would not have been so aggressive had they bean dealing with the big 5. BUT - don't forget FICA us NOT the English players union, they also represent Bangladesh cricketers.

FICA's Role
The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) was established in 1998 to coordinate the activities of all national players' associations. These protect the interests of professional cricketers throughout the world.

FICA aims to bring together all of the world's cricketers, regardless of nationality, religion, political persuasion or race under an international body which focuses on matters that directly or indirectly affect players. FICA members total 70% of the full member countries. However, ts representations and benefits are extended to all players, whether from FICA countries or not.

FICA's member associations are:

Australian Cricketers Association
Professional Cricketers Association (England)
New Zealand Cricket Players Association
South African Cricketers Association
Sri Lankan Cricketers Association
West Indies Players Association
Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh

FICA's Objectives

To present the collective voice of international cricketers and their interests to the game's controlling body, the ICC or other related parties (IPL etc.)
To promote and protect the interests of all and any of its Members.
To improve the economic or social conditions of past and present cricketers.
To assist in the eradication of corruption from all levels of cricket.
To uphold the core values of the game.
To assist in dispute resolution between members and its constituents.

Governance

FICA's policy and direction is determined by its Board, which includes the FICA President, FICA CEO and one representative of each of its member associations. The Board's members are:

President - Jimmy Adams
CEO - Tim May
Secretary - Tony Irish (South Africa)
Treasurer - Paul Marsh (Australia)
Angus Porter (England)
Heath Mills ( New Zealand)
Dinanath Ramnarine ( West Indies)
Ken De Alwis ( Sri Lanka)
Debrabrata Paul ( Bangladesh)

President: Jimmy Adams
Chief Executive: Tim May
FICA,
1511 Rockcliff Road
Austin, Texas, USA
Old June 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Sorry but couldn't found an English version

Looks like BPL governing council are suspecting May

Old June 10, 2012, 06:17 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yes they also represent Bangladeshi cricketers too. But I see not one mention of them when Mr. May had made his conferences. He seemed to give utmost priorities to the international players and particularly the English players. But what about the local Bangladeshi players who I believe should be given much more importance as they are not as financially independent as those well paid county players?
Old June 10, 2012, 06:19 AM

+1 with Tonoy here as well.

I recalled at least two occasions when FICA refused to involve in favour of Bangladeshi cricket players in the past years. Tim May then said they don't have any responsibility of any Bangladeshi players as they are not FICA members. I have no source to link as it was years ago.

-as myself
Old June 10, 2012, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Sorry but couldn't found an English version

Looks like BPL governing council are suspecting May
See post #23 above. The BPL governance council press release. Tim May's stance is definitely fishy.
Old June 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Test Cricketer

The way to restore this image is to hold a grand Bpl 2 ..I bet the mercenaries will be knocking at the door
Old June 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
Test Cricketer

To add to kochi case bcci even asked players to file court cases in order for bcci to pay the players As guarantor
Even if bcb has to pay back as guarantors it will be a complicated process as it is with any financial mitigation . Just because it is Bangladesh FICA thinks they can go around and bully us
Old June 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers
Default BPL 25% tax cut

It seems Gag thing didn't really worked well on these leakers. Its kinda pathetic to see these over-paid money hungry players still making lame complain for tax deduction and feeding media with these, where Pakistani participants were among the first foreigners who were paid full. This should make interested benefited parties worried, as such ignorant statments along with Tim May's legal war with some rich corrupted boards ruining potential market for Pakistani players.

Quote:
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) called in franchise officials of its Twenty20 league yesterday in order to resolve the pending non-payment issue as it faces a legal action from the players’ association, FICA.

Duronto Rajshahi Chairman Mushfiqur Rehman Mohan confirmed that the meeting took place yesterday and while half the franchises have cleared their dues, the problem has come up due to the rest finding it difficult to arrange huge sums in such a short time. “The board wants to ensure that these problems don’t surface again which is why the meeting took place,” Mohan told The Express Tribune before replying to the Pakistani players’ concerns after they were paid only 75% of the promised amount.

“They’ve been paid 75% because the other 25% is the tax that has been deducted for foreign players. We’ll send the receipts of the tax payment to clear any doubts in the players’ minds.

“We want to take the Bangladesh Premier League to new heights in the next edition and I promise these problems will not happen.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistani players who took part in the event’s inaugural edition have confirmed that no such tax clause was present in their contracts. “They’ve deducted 25% and called it tax while the amount that was to be deducted was not mentioned in the contracts,” said a player.

“I’ve been asking them to send me the receipt as proof because I can’t believe the tax rate will be this high. The organisers are acting in an immature manner that could harm their reputation and the participation of the players in the future.”

source
Old June 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Media Release

Outcome of BPL  Governing Council Meeting with Franchise Owners

PLAYER PAYMENT
The Governing Council was informed that the outstanding payment of foreign players who had participated in the inaugural edition of the BPL now stood at US$ 2,35,000.00 (approximately). The BCB as guarantor, will complete the payment of the dues shortly.   

The franchises have assured the Governing Council that approximately 70 (seventy) percent of the local players’ payment have been cleared. The Governing Council meanwhile, as a priority has initiated the process to get the confirmed figure of outstanding payment to local cricketers. The BCB as guarantor would resolve claim related issues if required.    

BCB President AHM Mustafa Kamal, who chaired the meeting with the franchises said: “We are convinced that only a negligible amount remains unpaid and the delay is mostly down to technical issues. The foreign cricketers’ non-payment claim has been grossly exaggerated and in certain cases miscommunication and lack of coordination between players and agents have contributed to the rumors.

“We are very clear about the BPL players’ payment issue. Everyone knows that not a single penny would remain unpaid as the BCB is the guarantor. I get the impression that some people are trying to malign  the BCB and the BPL. We are not accountable to anyone other than the players and we have not received any complaints from them. We have a proud tradition. Foreign cricketers who have participated in domestic competitions in Bangladesh over the decades have never alleged that they have not received payment.”

--- ENDS ---

Old June 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

The Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) governing council said that the remaining outstanding amounts due to the league's foreign players will be paid very shortly. BPL secretary Sirajuddin Mohammad Alamgir told ESPNcricinfo that they had received a letter from the franchises, which said that within the next two days the $235,000 (approx) in unpaid wages will be settled. A Bangladesh board press release from later in the day also made an assurance, saying that the "BCB, as the guarantor, will complete the payment of the dues shortly".

This was the council's second meeting with the franchises in the space of four days, after the Federation of International Cricketers Associations' chief executive, Tim May, had said the BPL was "amateurish" in their dealings with the unpaid cricketers.

"They gave us in writing that the money will be paid within the next day or two," Alamgir said after the meeting. "We understand that the franchises were new to this [being part of a league]. And they have got into a lot of trouble regarding paying these players because of various issues, but they have committed that nobody will go unpaid."

ESPNcricinfo has learned from sources in the different franchises that there have been incidents of wrong bank-account information from one player, which led to delayed payment, while another was said to have become angry when the franchise belatedly contacted him regarding payments.

While the BPL is trying to keep the international players happy, several local players are as yet unpaid. The franchises have also said that around 30% of the local players' payment remain unpaid and will be settled in seven to ten days. The governing council will confirm the figure of outstanding dues to the local players.

The BPL council's meeting with the franchises was chaired by BCB chief Mustafa Kamal. He had told ESPNcricinfo recently that the issue of unpaid wages has never been a problem in Bangladesh. Overseas coaches too, he said, have never complained about payment.

"We have had foreign coaches working with our team for a long time - Eddie Barlow, Gordon Greenidge, Dav Whatmore, so many names," Kamal said. "We have not defaulted on payments to them, they have never had any complaints."

Kamal said the BCB is "financially one of the richest boards in the world" and recounted the names of overseas players who had played in Bangladesh's lucrative club leagues in the 1990s, including Neil Fairbrother, Richard Illingworth and Ajay Jadeja. "I have always said that if there is a problem with BPL payments because it is a new league and there may be some mistakes, it will be BCB's responsibility and we will pay up instead [of the franchises]."

He said it was important for the BPL to be successful. "Its stakeholders are the players, the fans and the country, and it has benefitted all of these. If it doesn't do well, who will be the biggest losers? The players."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/568230.html
Old June 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

why don't the media takes interview of mr May and ask him where he got his info and who is baki and how much is baki?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 13, 2012, 05:19 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Bottom line is the truth is that many payments are still outstanding from almost 4 months ago.

Whoever is right or wrong in this, those are the facts.
Whoever is in charge of payments holds the key.
Much talk, yet still uncleared.

People in life are judged on what they do, not what they say.

I make no accusations here., just relay facts. Others can decide who is responsible.
Old June 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Bottom line is the truth is that many payments are still outstanding from almost 4 months ago.

Whoever is right or wrong in this, those are the facts.
Whoever is in charge of payments holds the key.
Much talk, yet still uncleared.

People in life are judged on what they do, not what they say.

I make no accusations here., just relay facts. Others can decide who is responsible.
Hi Coach,
There is no doubt that someone somewhere screwd up. If I am paid 4 months late than I expect an interest on the payment. We as citizens of Bangladesh are apologetic for this mishap from the organisers and cricket board. I am confident thaat the dues will definately be paid since foreign players are playing in our leagues for decades now and payment has never been an issue.

My question to you is, Why is it that not a single foreign cricketer or coach or support staff formally complained about the delay?
Old June 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Murali also suggests that when it comes to T20 cricket, Bangladesh could teach England a thing or two...

Muralitharan even suggested that England's T20 competition was lagging behind Bangladesh, a competition that has been characterised by a stand off between FICA, the international players' association, and the BCB over owed player payments.

"Bangladesh launched it big and their crowds have been 30-40,000 for every match," he said. "Australia has merged into eight franchises so I think England should also do that and it could equal IPL."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/568264.html
Old June 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Hi Coach,
There is no doubt that someone somewhere screwd up. If I am paid 4 months late than I expect an interest on the payment. We as citizens of Bangladesh are apologetic for this mishap from the organisers and cricket board. I am confident thaat the dues will definately be paid since foreign players are playing in our leagues for decades now and payment has never been an issue.

My question to you is, Why is it that not a single foreign cricketer or coach or support staff formally complained about the delay?
The contract is between the players and the franchises. I can assure you that players are constantly asking/complaining/questioning the franchises, weekly.

With regard to "complaints" - the players union (acting on behalf of ALL the foreign players) has been doing this for more than a month or two, to try to get the BCB to take action. The Professional Cricketer's Association (PCA) in England has also been acting on behalf of the professionals from here and the same questions are constantly raised.

Not sure how much more people can keep asking the same questions to be honest.

Let's be honest though. If you have a written contract, that is a formal document. Should you have to resort to 'going public' or dragging the name of Bangladesh Cricket through the dirt to get something done? Cricketers do not want to do that, I can assure you.
Old June 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont

With regard to "complaints" - the players union (acting on behalf of ALL the foreign players) has been doing this for more than a month or two, to try to get the BCB to take action. The Professional Cricketer's Association (PCA) in England has also been acting on behalf of the professionals from here and the same questions are constantly raised.
What player's union are you talking about? FICA doesn't represent ALL foreign players as you mentioned. BPL was dominated by Bangladeshi and the majority of foreign players came from Pakistan. FICA doesn't represent either of these two countries. The most expensive player, Shahid Afridi mentioned he received his money and no other Pak or Bdeshi player has made any formal complaint in the media so far.

So Tim May and FICA represents a tiny portion of players in BPL but are making the most noise. Its not like those players haven't been paid at all. They received more than 50% of their payment and some up to 80%. May can raise the issue in proper manner but his first outburst was in the fan forum PakPassion.

Whatever happened was unfortunate. But BCB acts as the guarantor and that means players will get their due money no matter what. Other leagues takes time to clear their dues.

I am not supporting BCB's actions and this due should have been cleared earlier. But I don't believe May and FICA are working for the players. Even before the league, this same guy raised concern about match fixing in Bangladesh. So we have every reason to doubt his actions.