facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 30, 2007, 09:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Goodbye Dialup,and shame to Submarine Cable.

When the Submarine cable was opened,everyone hoped for a complete renovation of internet in bangladesh.Truth be told,it had worsened,the speed of dialup has been so pathetic that i needed 10-20 minutes just to open a page,so I've decided to say goodbye to it and look forward.

Now using GP's EDGE, not that great a speed,but at least this is navigable.

So,I believe I'm going to get active again.I did not have net at home for last 5-6 months.

I will try to get a blog also.Which site you would suggest?
Old May 30, 2007, 09:46 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
I'm working on a blog-hosting site of my own, but it's not finished. I like this one- www.vox.com
Old May 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shafin,
can you please shed more light on the internet speed availability in Dhaka, BD from your experience? Is there any one that offers high speed (mega bits level or close) broadband (I heard their speed compares with dialup in USA) and uninterrupted that I can rely for work from home?

Thanks
Old May 31, 2007, 02:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmacker
Shafin,
can you please shed more light on the internet speed availability in Dhaka, BD from your experience? Is there any one that offers high speed (mega bits level or close) broadband (I heard their speed compares with dialup in USA) and uninterrupted that I can rely for work from home?

Thanks
I'd try to elaborate as much as I can.

Presently,bangladesh connects with internet through the 16 GB/s submarine cable,and a lot of ISP's use VSAT's too.T & T has imposed some heavy charges on the cable bandwidth,and there are reports that BTTB can not operate the switches properly,as a result, a big part of this bandwidth capacity remains unused.

The Internet connection in Dhaka has been dominated by Dial-up ISP's,but recently cable ISP's(They call them broadband,although they are merely LAN's using shared bandwidth) are gaining populerity.Average speed for Dial-up is lower than 1 kbps and the low cost cable solutions normally top at around 6-7 kbps for around 1000 a month.

Then there is the radio link operators, they charge pretty high,but if you are looking for wireless connectivity,they will give them equal to the cable bandwidth for about double the price.

You can also use SIM's of mobile companies with GPRS/EDGE. Unlimited package would cost 920 tk for teletalk and 1200 for GP.the normal rate is 2 poisa per kb.

And if you are really desperate to get some amazing speed and have a fat wallet, you can buy bandwidth directly from BTTB,it'd cost you more than 2 lacs for a bandwidth of 1 MB/s. I have come to know that one of the govt organization pays 85000 for 256 kbps on cable.

So,as long as you dont plan to download GB's of files,around 1000 per month would be enough to get you connected at browsable speed around the clock.

You misheard the comparison of our broadband with american dial-up,as far as I know about the american speed,its way better,and another bad news,many broadband lines gets cut frequently,so for uninterrupted communication,try wireless methods instead.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I'd try to elaborate as much as I can.

Presently,bangladesh connects with internet through the 16 GB/s submarine cable,and a lot of ISP's use VSAT's too.T & T has imposed some heavy charges on the cable bandwidth,and there are reports that BTTB can not operate the switches properly,as a result, a big part of this bandwidth capacity remains unused.
No wonder BTTB cannot handle the switches properly. When I was in BD there was not a single university offering Computer Networking, which is a dedicated subject to networking. Besides no one was encouraging to study this type of subject.

But the good thing was in many universities they started Cisco courses like CCNA although the quality of the courses was in quistion. Equipments, teaching staff were not enough in that time. Hope situation is changed now.

How well we will run the system depends on how many quality engineers we are producing. This is a big ask. We need to build a good system consisting of good network engineers, good policies and good administrators.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old May 31, 2007, 02:16 AM

Ohh the RAGE!! BTTB should be corporatised, stripped off its assets and sold off. Enough of Damned Ineptness. Na paare service dite, tar upore dakaati kore boshe! Tk.2 lakh for 1MB/s??? I pay Can$45 per month (Tk.2400+) for half that speed (575 KB/s)... I could get myself a Fiber to the Home connection here for a bleeding 2 Lakh takas, fulfill all of BC members cricket viewing needs and THEN Some!! Buffoons the lot of them!
Old May 31, 2007, 09:40 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

I can't believe this!

In UK, I had 7 KBps on Dial-up and at the moment I have 8Mbps OR 1MBps speeds.

Deshey giya kichu kortey hobey tailey!
Old May 31, 2007, 10:22 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
I can't believe this!

In UK, I had 7 KBps on Dial-up and at the moment I have 8Mbps OR 1MBps speeds.

Deshey giya kichu kortey hobey tailey!
Run a speed test at speedtest.net and post the auto-generated image here.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

thanks Shafin for you details. It's really scary! I was hoping to get at least 128Kbps, looks like that's not gonna happen. Oh man! I was planning to get a vacation of at least month+ and visit BD after 7 years, promising my manager if anything urgent arises I will work from BD. That's not gonna happen I guess

Does anyone else have experience working from home in BD.
Old May 31, 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmacker
thanks Shafin for you details. It's really scary! I was hoping to get at least 128Kbps, looks like that's not gonna happen. Oh man! I was planning to get a vacation of at least month+ and visit BD after 7 years, promising my manager if anything urgent arises I will work from BD. That's not gonna happen I guess

Does anyone else have experience working from home in BD.
In Gulshan-Banani there's Optimax that provides cable-modem/. Connection fee was around Tk.8000, and Per month its Tk.1700 for 128kbps dedicated. Its great for Bangladeshi standards, since Grameen's EDGE comes at around 80-90kbps last I heard.
Old May 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
In Gulshan-Banani there's Optimax that provides cable-modem/. Connection fee was around Tk.8000, and Per month its Tk.1700 for 128kbps dedicated. Its great for Bangladeshi standards, since Grameen's EDGE comes at around 80-90kbps last I heard.
So how GP is giving internet through EDGE? By mobile phone or 3G data card?

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old June 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I believe this is not the proper speed.This is just not possible,it may be the kbps shown,for instance,my GP EDGE modem shows 230 kbps,but I topped at around 20,but heard people are topping at 100 at some places,it depends on the place of use.However,I found this to be the 2nd best option at this time,after Teletalk,too bad they dont have network at my home.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Run a speed test at speedtest.net and post the auto-generated image here.
kisher speedtest.net?

I use a better one > The INTEL SPEED TEST

It's only showing 3Mbps as I am posting this after 6.

Speeds at my uni are even better! Blistering fast speeds of 10MBps.

*MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit
1 Byte = 8 bits
Old May 31, 2007, 12:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shoaib THE MAN Akhtar

Quote:
When the Submarine cable was opened,everyone hoped for a complete renovation of internet in bangladesh.Truth be told,it had worsened,the speed of dialup has been so pathetic that i needed 10-20 minutes just to open a page,so I've decided to say goodbye to it and look forward.

Now using GP's EDGE, not that great a speed,but at least this is navigable.

So,I believe I'm going to get active again.I did not have net at home for last 5-6 months.

I mock you with my 10 meg speed...
Old May 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

How does this compare?

Old May 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Cricket
How does this compare?

Your download speed is very good, but upload speed sucks.

Here's mine.

I'm sharing my connection with two other computers running simultaneously, usually I get up to 18mbps.

Zahid, try Speedtest anyway. It is way better and accurate.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Your download speed is very good, but upload speed sucks.

Here's mine.

I'm sharing my connection with two other computers running simultaneously, usually I get up to 18mbps.

Zahid, try Speedtest anyway. It is way better and accurate.
That's unbelieveable! Wish young Johnny would get off his arse and upgrade our Broadband services already. Had it up to here with his antics. Grr.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shoaib THE MAN Akhtar

Currently getting 65% of what my connection is fully capable of...scorn.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:17 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

UK ISPs are far behind than most far-eastern countries, and it costs a lot too. Only 3 years ago they charged about £30 for 1mbps connection.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
UK ISPs are far behind than most far-eastern countries, and it costs a lot too. Only 3 years ago they charged about £30 for 1mbps connection.
How much do you pay/What sort of plan are you on?

We pay $65AUS per month. That'll get you 12Gb downloads per month (Speed limiting applies after Download limit exceeded) plus a bonus 24Gb downloads between 12am-12pm ("Off-Peak" hours).

For $30AUS more (i.e. $95AUS), it jumps to 20GB per month with another 40GB of bonus downloads.

On top of that, every third billing period is free. So it works out to be just under $50AUS per month for us. Phew.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Cricket
How much do you pay/What sort of plan are you on?

We pay $65AUS per month. That'll get you 12Gb downloads per month (Speed limiting applies after Download limit exceeded) plus a bonus 24Gb downloads between 12am-12pm ("Off-Peak" hours).

For $30AUS more (i.e. $95AUS), it jumps to 20GB per month with another 40GB of bonus downloads.

On top of that, every third billing period is free. So it works out to be just under $50AUS per month for us. Phew.
I'm on this package- https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

Up to 24 meg broadband
Up to 1.3 meg upload speed
Unlimited bandwidth

£20 monthly (through independant dealer). It seems you pay about the same amount.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

I am with Eclipse.

I pay £15 per month.

8Mbps DWNLD speed and 512Kbps Upload speed.

No usage limit. 25 GB limit per month if you use between 6 pm - 8 am.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

My first ISP was banglanet in Dhaka back in '99. It was 2.50taka/minute.
Old June 1, 2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Ashoon shobai milla ekta ISP Business chalo kori deshey. Line neoa jabey from Singapore or Hong Kong.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

man it really s[]ks there it seems if wat shafin said is true.in india however we get broadband speed (home connection) of 256 kbps at merely 250 Rs i.e. around 6 usd. if u pay more u ll get much higher speed.bd really needs to improve in the broadband domain