facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 8, 2007, 08:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Herbert Sutcliffe

Please kindly describe 'HAGIR BIRIANI'. It seems delicious.

Old June 8, 2007, 09:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
It's just Biryani, made by a hugely popular chef named "Haji" if I'm not wrong. I don't think Haji is still alive, but his recipe has been picked up by the successors of his store.

There's another one called "Fakruddin's Biryani", which used to be hugely popular in Dhaka. After Fakruddin died, the quality of his biryani lost its touch, and I don't think it's that famous anymore.

There're many more of these actually. Old town has a few of these names, that everyone in the town will know. Old town means Old Dhaka, by the way.
Old June 8, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
with pleasure. hajir biryani is actually a tehari, not a biriyani as it is not seasoned with saffron, the spice that defines biriyani as biriyani. it is also cooked with beef, not the traditional mutton used for biriyani.

hajir biriyani is a slowly cooked rice and beef dish akin to some of the persian polo dishes and italian risottos. small grain kataribhogh rice, choice cubes of beef shortrib and sirloin are delicately seasoned and cooked together with first pressed mustard oil, and served on dried jackfruit leaves with a side of fresh green chilies - they can serve it on a plate also. the excruciatingly long steaming process under a gamch'ha - a versatile garment made of natural cotton - allows the flavors mingle together until the meat reaches that indescribable, perfect tenderness. it HAS to be eaten steaming hot in the restaurant for the whole experience.

the family that owns the restaurant continues follow the tradition of not cooking more than 2 cauldrons per day, and the food usually runs out in less than 90 minutes early in the morning, and less than 45 minutes early in the evening. in typical dhakaiya fashion with regards to all things sacred, they don't care about the commercial growth of this particular enterprise. the restaurant has no signs or menus, and has never advertised in its 50 plus year old history, ever since the original haji sahib (hence the name) came back from makkah, and served up the first pot after the maghrib prayers. some say that a taste of mansaf, the traditional bedouin fare, influenced his methods somewhat. hajir biriyani costs less than a euro and no one has EVER gotten sick from eating a plate. the subtlties associated with savoring the simplicity of hajir biriyani separate the men from the boys in old dhaka.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 8, 2007 at 09:58 AM..
Old June 8, 2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

This deserves its own thread.

During my college (NDC) days, some of us would head up there early in the morning just as it was opening (6 am ish) for breakfast.

If there were not free chairs, you just stood behind an occupied chair (or even put your hands on it) to reserve it for you.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
This deserves its own thread.

During my college (NDC) days, some of us would head up there early in the morning just as it was opening (6 am ish) for breakfast.

If there were not free chairs, you just stood behind an occupied chair (or even put your hands on it) to reserve it for you.
it still opens at 6 during the "early light" season and starts to serve from 6:30 or 6:45. my cousins and i still stay up all night to get the very top serving of the stuff first thing in the morning. the top layer has all the flavor left behind by the oil that settles in the bottom by the time the gamch'ha is removed. a lot of RAB men in the mornings of late.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Unfortunately.. after the death of the original Haji, this biriyani has lost a touch. But Mr. P.Warner... tel me first: Have you actually tasted any high quality 'Biriyani' yet?

If you havn't ... please try out. You won't regret!
Old June 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Very good description Sohel NR.
btw, congrats on becoming a cricket legend.
I guess u r one of the fastest, if not THE fastest to do so.
keep up the good work.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Haha, nice. Not very often we see threads being made out of some posts. Great stuff!
Old June 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
Cricket Guru

And now even they sell 'Hajir Biriyani' in Sagar.
Old June 8, 2007, 11:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

SohelNR, kudos to your description...oh man, it almost brought my taste-buds into action. That is by far the best written description of this fabled dish I've come accross to.
Have any of you seen the ad being aired on NTV...that a NY rest. now serving it? I wonder if it's anywhere near to the original thing...NYers out there, would you comment?
Old June 8, 2007, 11:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
with pleasure. hajir biryani is actually a tehari, not a biriyani as it is not seasoned with saffron, the spice that defines biriyani as biriyani. it is also cooked with beef, not the traditional mutton used for biriyani.

hajir biriyani is a slowly cooked rice and beef dish akin to some of the persian polo dishes and italian risottos. small grain kataribhogh rice, choice cubes of beef shortrib and sirloin are delicately seasoned and cooked together with first pressed mustard oil, and served on dried jackfruit leaves with a side of fresh green chilies - they can serve it on a plate also. the excruciatingly long steaming process under a gamch'ha - a versatile garment made of natural cotton - allows the flavors mingle together until the meat reaches that indescribable, perfect tenderness. it HAS to be eaten steaming hot in the restaurant for the whole experience.

the family that owns the restaurant continues follow the tradition of not cooking more than 2 cauldrons per day, and the food usually runs out in less than 90 minutes early in the morning, and less than 45 minutes early in the evening. in typical dhakaiya fashion with regards to all things sacred, they don't care about the commercial growth of this particular enterprise. the restaurant has no signs or menus, and has never advertised in its 50 plus year old history, ever since the original haji sahib (hence the name) came back from makkah, and served up the first pot after the maghrib prayers. some say that a taste of mansaf, the traditional bedouin fare, influenced his methods somewhat. hajir biriyani costs less than a euro and no one has EVER gotten sick from eating a plate. the subtlties associated with savoring the simplicity of hajir biriyani separate the men from the boys in old dhaka.
Dude! I so wish I was in Dhaka now....I used to go there every friday morning all the way from Dhaka Cantt.....Unforgettable memories and taste!
Old June 8, 2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

ishhhh.... kotodin khai na
Old June 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

My mouth was well wet reading your post sohel bhai Do they do take away??
Old June 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
and sirloin are delicately seasoned and cooked together with first pressed mustard oil, and served on dried jackfruit leaves with a side of fresh green chilies -
Excellent description... mouth watering indeed. Please add it to Wikipedia.

On a side note, didn't know it was served on jackfruit leaves. Jackfruit leaves seems too small to serve anything on it

They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old June 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Unfortunately I never had Hajir Biryani. Someday I shall Inshallah.
Old June 8, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
Unfortunately I never had Hajir Biryani. Someday I shall Inshallah.
Me and you are the same kind of losers I guess.

Never had the opportunity to try it
Old June 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
On a side note, didn't know it was served on jackfruit leaves. Jackfruit leaves seems too small to serve anything on it
mone hoy kolapata distort hoye kathal pata hoye gese. Indeed kathal pata is too small to serve food on it....
Old June 8, 2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Neither kathal nor kola.

It is shal pata. The specialty of this tehari is the mustard oil.

Here's a picture:

Old June 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

There are some dishes in Dhaka that one MUST not miss:

1) Haji'r Biryani
2) Mohammadpur-er Morog Mosallam
3) Fakruddin'er Gorur Chap
4) Baily Road-er Fuchka/Pastries
5) Chandu Miyar Pan (I honestly don't know where he has his stall now ... last time my dad saw him he was in Bangla Motor.)
Old June 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Congrats SohelNR. That was a lively description. It seemed once that i am reading a cookbook.

Electrequiem, did u miss Mama Halim of Elephant Road?
Old June 8, 2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Mama halim is in Kalabagan, though I dont find it different from usual halims
Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Congrats SohelNR. That was a lively description. It seemed once that i am reading a cookbook.

Electrequiem, did u miss Mama Halim of Elephant Road?
Old June 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Check this out: http://www.sagarfood.com/ (in NY) for Haji'r Biryani. It's $8 acording to this website.
Old June 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

thanks for the information, Noc
Old June 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
thanks for the information, Noc
welcome mate, I just added the pic from that website.
Old June 8, 2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Check this out: http://www.sagarfood.com/ (in NY) for Haji'r Biryani. It's $8 acording to this website.
From a reliable source this is all BS! Haji has nothing to do with it. দেশী দুই নাম্বারি
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.