facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Stanley Cup in 2012-2013?
Detroit Red Wings 1 11.11%
Pittsburgh Penguins 4 44.44%
Los Angeles Kings 2 22.22%
New York Rangers 0 0%
Minnesota Wild 0 0%
Boston Bruins 1 11.11%
Chicago Black Hawks 2 22.22%
Philadelphia Flyers 1 11.11%
St. Louis Blues 1 11.11%
Random Canada based team (Please name your favorite fantasy) 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2013, 11:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

After a few bad outings, Pens played solid and exciting last three games. Shut out vs Rangers ( 3-0 ) at Garden, Dominating Devils at home ( 5-1 ) and beating Caps away ( 6-3 ). When we play good defense, we are hard to beat, but we still run around too much on D. I guess that goes with the territory. We will never be the NJ Devils or Minny. Live and die by offense. Crosby has indeed been heating up. He started to look like his old self since the loss to Leafs. Racking up pts. Geno is missing his goal scoring touch a bit, but he is having great chances. They will start to go in for him sooner than later. He is just too good. Addition of Vokoun has really been a good strategy. Marc seems to have got the memo and he has been solid so far.

Man, whatever happened to Ovehckin? Too predictable. I was shocked by the way Niklas Backstrom is playing. He looks completely out of sorts. He is a fantastic talent. Montreal is playing great. Therrien knows how to coach.

Old February 4, 2013, 11:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Sohel- SJ are a great team. But, we have been saying that for the last six-seven years. Come playoff time and we will see if its any different this year. Teams to watch out for is Blues in West. They are the LA Kings of this year. I will go out on a limb and predict SCF for them this year. And, don't worry about Red Wings. You know they will be in Playoffs and all bets are off once they are in.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

One last pt : I expect a fire sale in Calgary if things remain status quo. Iginla to Pens has been a dream for years and that might just become a reality if Flames miss out. Of course, we have to stay in the hunt for playoffs, or we will be the one selling ..
Old February 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram, Shakib

Another predictable loss to the Bruins. At least Reimer was solid and it was only a one goal game. Their physical game just completely dominates us.

Big litmus test coming up agaisnt the Canes. They are a bubble team just like us. How you deal with these teams makes the difference in the end. We've already failed twice against these types of teams this year - Buffalo and NYI loses. Hope we can pull out with a W today, and I dearly pray to Allah for Kessel's first goal. The fact that we've been able to stay at .500 without Lupul, and Kessel scoring zero goals is a miracle.

Regarding Ovi - I think predictability is one of the factors. I also remember reading how he had lost focus, and wasn't really practising/preparing the same way as he used to back in the day (Yuvraj-ish story I guess). Might be roids too. He had super human strength back in his glory days, which he clearly seems to lack now. Got man handleded by Dion a couple times in our recent encounter.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cricket Guru

I am glad you point the roid story out regarding Caps, Ovi and few of their players. Was it just a rumor? or, they were busted with their hands in cookie jar? Ovi has super strength. Poeple just fly when he hits them. He is also playing LW this year.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Kessel will be traded at deadline if Leafs falter. I do like their team. They got speed to kill. They give us nightmares. Leafs and Habs have our number.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I am glad you point the roid story out regarding Caps, Ovi and few of their players. Was it just a rumor? or, they were busted with their hands in cookie jar? Ovi has super strength. Poeple just fly when he hits them. He is also playing LW this year.
I believe it's still unconfirmed. Just a rumor now I guess then.

His strength is still quite good, much more than average, but its not like those days where he scored 50+ goals a year. He could literally take on two NHLers at a time and outstrength them. I remember Schenn once completely bounced off of him 3 years ago. Schenn himself is pretty big, and strong, and lays people out on a semi-regular basis. To see him get bounced off Ovy was quite amusing. In contrast, the stronger players in the league (Chara/Phaneuf types) seem to have a much easier time dealing with him these days.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Ya..plus, he doesn't train hard in off season like some other superstars like Sid and Stamkos. He is a known partier. Anyway, during the broadcast yesterday, they showed Canucks GM in attendance in D.C. Wonder whats that all about? Luongo perhaps? I would love to see Ovi out of East though..lol
Old February 4, 2013, 03:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Kessel will be traded at deadline if Leafs falter. I do like their team. They got speed to kill. They give us nightmares. Leafs and Habs have our number.
Kessel won't be traded. At least not this year, unless he actually comes out and asks for a trade.

Nonis has said multiple times that he will not blow-up the team, and will continue to build on top of what we have. Plus it makes no sense for us. We will never get the value we dealt him for, meaning we'll maybe get a top 5 pick or a blue chip prospect or two. The best case scenario in that case is if one of the players turn out to be as good as Kessel, but that will probably take another 5 years. That would sound good if Kessel was like 30-35. But he's only 25, which is roughly the same age as the rest of our core. We finally have a balanced offense now. While getting a #1 C is essential, dealing our #1 winger for him takes us back to the situation Sundin was in.

I just don't see how trading Kessel makes any sense for us, since we are not going to be doing a Oiler-esque rebuild. The problem with the team lies in defensive depth/personnel, and a lack of physical presence. While Randy C's system is good, having 2 AHL caliber D (Kostka/Fraser) leaves your defense prone to fatal errors.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

I lost interest in Jordan Staal. Heard he isn't too hot in Carolina right now. Sutter is fitting in well. Wish he scored a bit more but his defensive game is spot on. Great face off guy as well.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:16 PM
Cricket Guru

I agree. But, Kessel and trade are two words that are eternally married to each other. Every year you hear it. Makes no sense for Leafs. Guy is a sniper.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Will you guys take Tangradi+Depres( or, Morrow )+ a pick for Kulemin? Malkin keeps crying about this dude all the time. I go to this Sushi place a lot near my house where a lot of Pens hang out. Malkin basically lives there. Every time his buddy Kulemin is in town, he is on a date with him..lol
Old February 5, 2013, 12:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Sohel- SJ are a great team. But, we have been saying that for the last six-seven years. Come playoff time and we will see if its any different this year. Teams to watch out for is Blues in West. They are the LA Kings of this year. I will go out on a limb and predict SCF for them this year. And, don't worry about Red Wings. You know they will be in Playoffs and all bets are off once they are in.
Just Sharks just lost their first game in regulation time to the Ducks. The Ducks looked solid after a lucky bounce had them tie the game at 1 a piece.

The Sharks have been running out of steam after beating us in the playoffs, and other teams in the West, especially Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim will run them just as dry. Most teams in the West, other than the Flames, can have the same effect on them also during this hypercompetitive season in a hypercompertetive conference in the most competitive league in professional sports.

I reckon the Oilers to be the Kings of this year, although the Kings can easily come together at the right time and start peaking during the playoffs. But they'll need to pull things together pronto down in Hollywood because this is a truncated season.

They need to find a way not to peak too soon. I still feel they're at least one great, pure goalscorer short of winning the Cup. Maybe Couture will evolve into that role but not for at least two years.

We'll probably make the playoffs again this year bit won't be a contender with only 2 solid defensemen (Kronwall and Ericsson). You need 6 of those, and unless Kenny makes some solid moves before the playoffs and Brendan Smith learns to play NHL defense and really step up, we'll fall 2 or 3 men short. Our offense will do fine even if Franzen continues to underachieve and Bert stays hopelessly Bert. Datsyuk, Hank, Filppula, Helm, Cleary, Brunner, Nyquist, Eaves, Abdelkader and Miller will do their jobs for sure, and the newer ones may even step up to the next level.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old February 5, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
I lost interest in Jordan Staal. Heard he isn't too hot in Carolina right now. Sutter is fitting in well. Wish he scored a bit more but his defensive game is spot on. Great face off guy as well.
As you know, Jordan's one of my favorite players. I'd trade Franzen and Bert with a bundle of cash to have him wear the winged wheel. He scored his first of the year but probably won't be as productive as he was with the Pens. But his solid two way presence may make Eric and Semin more productive. The Canes look good despite this slow start, and may yet surprise many people come playoff time.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old February 5, 2013, 09:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Will you guys take Tangradi+Depres( or, Morrow )+ a pick for Kulemin? Malkin keeps crying about this dude all the time. I go to this Sushi place a lot near my house where a lot of Pens hang out. Malkin basically lives there. Every time his buddy Kulemin is in town, he is on a date with him..lol
Damn, it's pretty cool that you guys go to the same restaurant. Have you seen him in person?

If we were shopping him, I would take Morrow + Tangradi + 2nd for him. That's a really solid offer for us, and I don't see many teams topping it. I'm not sure if he's available or not, as there hasn't been any reports to suggest either way.

Kulemin is a very good 2-way winger, who is best described as a hybrid power forward. He is a bull on skates who drives to the net, works great along the boards, and is a tenacious forechecker. A couple of the assists he has gotten is a direct result of the D turning it over because of his pressure down the wing. His finishing ability is that of your 15-20 goal scorer. If you consistently give him good chances around the net, that total can jump to 25-30 goals.

So basically, you're looking at a very complete player, who can do it all except for making plays. There is a lot to like about this guys game. He would be pretty nasty on Malkin's/Crosby's wing.

Quote:
He's done exactly as advertied. Excellent defensive game, and effective on the offensive end. I think the people who are complaining about him are the ones who expected him to turn into a 1B type center (60-70 pts) due to the increased ice-time. People often fail to realise that a player's production is not linearly related to their ice-time. They also forget contributions that do not show up on the score sheet. His current production + defensive play fits Staal/Semin a lot better than another high scoring forward, as Sohel bhai pointed out.

The SJ/Ana game was really good. Very close contest, like always, with supreme display of skill from both teams, and goalies. The Ducks dominated for the most part, but couldn't make it count until a very lucky bounce for Koivu, and an absolute blast by Souray. Sharks looked a step behind them for the most part. Kyle Palmieri and Sami Vatanen were very impressive. Palmieri has a lethal release, and some soft hands which allow him to work some magic in tight spaces. Vatanen is just a very good skater on the back end, who looks to be in the mold of Gardiner and Justin Schultz. On a couple occasions he effortlessly went around Sharks players and made everybody else look a step slower than him. This Ducks team is for real. I can see them going deep this year if they stay injury free, and get consistent goaltending.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:38 AM
Test Cricketer

This is how you know your team isn't making the playoffs.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Just Sharks just lost their first game in regulation time to the Ducks. The Ducks looked solid after a lucky bounce had them tie the game at 1 a piece.

The Sharks have been running out of steam after beating us in the playoffs, and other teams in the West, especially Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim will run them just as dry. Most teams in the West, other than the Flames, can have the same effect on them also during this hypercompetitive season in a hypercompertetive conference in the most competitive league in professional sports.

I reckon the Oilers to be the Kings of this year, although the Kings can easily come together at the right time and start peaking during the playoffs. But they'll need to pull things together pronto down in Hollywood because this is a truncated season.

They need to find a way not to peak too soon. I still feel they're at least one great, pure goalscorer short of winning the Cup. Maybe Couture will evolve into that role but not for at least two years.

We'll probably make the playoffs again this year bit won't be a contender with only 2 solid defensemen (Kronwall and Ericsson). You need 6 of those, and unless Kenny makes some solid moves before the playoffs and Brendan Smith learns to play NHL defense and really step up, we'll fall 2 or 3 men short. Our offense will do fine even if Franzen continues to underachieve and Bert stays hopelessly Bert. Datsyuk, Hank, Filppula, Helm, Cleary, Brunner, Nyquist, Eaves, Abdelkader and Miller will do their jobs for sure, and the newer ones may even step up to the next level.
Don't get me wrong. I think Sharks are a superb team. See no weakness. But, the playoff pedigree is missing, and until they change it, its hard for me to see them winning a cup. Maybe, this is the year.

Oilers have no defense bro. No real goaltending either. I see them missing playoffs, unless they address the defense. They will eventually have to move on from some of the stud forwards they have picked over the years of having the no.1 pick. Soon their rookie contracts will be up and they will all command high salary elsewhere. I think they are a perfect dance partner with Pens. We have a plethora of high end young defensive prospects and they have wingers galore.

Yes, can never write off the Champs. Kings will be around.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
As you know, Jordan's one of my favorite players. I'd trade Franzen and Bert with a bundle of cash to have him wear the winged wheel. He scored his first of the year but probably won't be as productive as he was with the Pens. But his solid two way presence may make Eric and Semin more productive. The Canes look good despite this slow start, and may yet surprise many people come playoff time.
Jordan is great. His ceiling is so high. His defensive game is peerless. Too bad he was stuck at no.3 center here, but how can you move him ahead of Sid and Geno? Hope he does well. We don't win the cup without him. He is still very young. He will score a lot of points. He will finally be on a PP, which he never was here. But, I don't think he is a 1B as leafs PWN said. People may have unrealistic expectation of him in Carolina. Also, keep in mind he always faced the third pairing D when he was with Pens. That won't happen any more.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
Cricket Guru

@ Leafs PWN- No, never saw Kulemin here with Geno. But, saw Geno numerous times there. Seen Sid, Neal, Letang..all of them. One night last year the whole Senators team was there when I went. Its a very popular hang out for hockey players. Food is great. Owner is a friend of Mario. He even opens the place only for players if they are traveling back to Pittsburgh late at night after a game somewhere.

You give a good account of Kulemin. That's the exact type of players Geno likes on his wing, plus he has obvious chemistry with him. They are linemates in Russsia and KHL.

Ducks are scary. Big, strong, skilled. Washington was nuts to fire BB. Look what he has done with them. And, is Selanne ever gonna age? what a tremendous player he is.
Old February 5, 2013, 01:00 PM
Cricket Guru

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit130205.html

We are still sniffing around for him..lol. He has been on our radar for a while. Burke is gone, so perhaps that changes things. When a guy like Geno keeps "crying" about him, Shero will at least listen to his Hart trophy winner.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Adding more fuel to that:

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Scouts listed for CAR/TOR game from: ANA, BOS, COL, DAL, DET, EDM (2), FLA, MIN, MTL (2), NAS, NYR, OTT, PIT (2), SJ, STL, TB (2), WPG
That is just an unusual number of scouts for a game. Plus, Nonis had said that he would re-evaluate the team around the 10 game mark, and decide who to move around this time. I'd say Mac is definitely available, and maybe they are listening to offers for Kulemin, who knows.

Nonis said that he was initially pushing for a traditional rebuild, but Burke shunned that idea. Maybe he sees how bad we really are, and is gonna aim for a top 5 pick year. That would be much better for us than getting our **** kicked as the 8th seed, or finished between 9th-11th in the East, like we are projected to be ATM.

Would really HATE losing Kulemin as he is the type of player fans grow to love.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
While Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider hasn't spoken much about Roberto Luongo making four straight starts for the club, his agent Mike Liut shared his concerns about the situation.

Liut told The Vancouver Sun on Monday that he hopes that the Luongo trade saga can play out sooner rather than later.

"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games," Liut told the paper. "We are only interested in resolution, we are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415287

@ Gillis for holding onto Lu.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Man our slo-mo defense stunk it up at the Joe, again! Credit to the Flames for taking advantage of our defensive mediocrity while clogging us up their own D-Zone. Franzen played one of his typical games tonight. Lazy and totally ineffective in front of the net. Can't screen or redirect for ***t! Homer, we miss you.

Early 2-0 lead for the Sharks at the Tank. Blackhawks have their work cut out.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Brandon Saad, Arab American from Pittsburgh gets one back for the Hawks, 1-2. Moments later the Sharks score to make it 3-1. Blackhawks score 8 seconds later to make it 2-3 and we're in the first. Shootout at the Tank.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Kruger ties it up for Chicago at 3-3 and we're still in the first with 8 minutes to go!