facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 13, 2013, 07:43 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting
Default cricket kit buying help

i need to buy a complete setup for a cousin who is unwilling to spend a fortune. so how much will a complete kit (standard quality) cost in Dhaka and which store should i buy it from?

guys can you please give me an estimate of the individual prices of the following things:

leg pads
abdomen guard
helmet
thigh guard
arm guard
chest guard
elbow guard
gloves
kit bag

as for the bat, i am thinking something in the range of 3000-5000 Tk. That should be good enough for a starter bat right? please recommend me a brand.

thank you!

Old August 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

do you really need all that stuff? how old is your cousin? i only ever played with leg pads, helmet, gloves and then had my kit bag. had a thigh guard later on but never used it.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:14 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Chest guard? Arm guard? for a starter?
Old August 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
yeah not sure abdomen guard or elbow guard are needed either. i reckon get the pads, helmet, gloves kit bag and maybe a thigh pad.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Second to this. Only will make him more uncomfortable than protected and afcourse $$.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

I rushed buying my bat which cost 12k endep up on the roads for tape tennis...so best advice for choosing a bat is take your time and choose wisely.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yeah not sure abdomen guard or elbow guard are needed either. i reckon get the pads, helmet, gloves kit bag and maybe a thigh pad.
Abdoman guard is the first thing i will recommend if you play with real cricket ball.

Don't know if your serious or not
Old August 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
do you really need all that stuff? how old is your cousin? i only ever played with leg pads, helmet, gloves and then had my kit bag. had a thigh guard later on but never used it.
well he is a 10th grader who already looks all grownup.......i wanted to buy everything all at once just to prevent him from bugging me about getting him new stuffs...
Old August 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricplay
well he is a 10th grader who already looks all grownup.......i wanted to buy everything all at once just to prevent him from bugging me about getting him new stuffs...
ok, makes more sense now, tbh the older the player, the more gear required.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Abdoman guard is the first thing i will recommend if you play with real cricket ball.

Don't know if your serious or not
ok is abdomen guard meant to be a box? if so then yes get one haha, otherwise i'm serious, never had an abdomen guard, never know anyone to use one personally (not saying no one does just no one i've known personally from my own cricketing experiences).
Old August 13, 2013, 09:42 AM

yes box. you r referring to the thigh pad, right? it depends how quick bowlers you face. not required imho if u face <65 mph bowlers...
Old August 13, 2013, 09:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Try sports direct if you are in UK. They have some cheap but quality cricket gear. I wish it was that cheap when I played.

e.g. Slazenger Icon Batting Pads : £8.50
Old August 13, 2013, 09:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
yes box. you r referring to the thigh pad, right? it depends how quick bowlers you face. not required imho if u face <65 mph bowlers...
there is the outer thigh pad, the inner thigh pad, chest guard, and a guard that is lower than your chest guard but above the thigh pad.
Old August 15, 2013, 03:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

If using a real cricket ball, I would get the following -

Helmet, gloves, abdo-guard, pads

If you wish to spend 3000-5000tk for a cricket bat, I would suggest getting a 'kashmir' willow bat which is English willow nurtured in India. If you want to up a grade, you would possibly need to stretch to 6000tk and get a Grade 3/4 English willow bat which will last you longer and has a better ping.

In Dhaka, the best place to buy this is Inter Sports on Elephant road. Everything is of a high quality and you won't get ripped off unlike in stadium market.
Old August 15, 2013, 03:36 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

Abdomen guard is a must. Very few people would've dared to play cricket if that one single thing was not invented. Even some of the fielders wear it I guess.

Arm guard, chest guard or elbow guard are generally not required up until the state/district level. But then again it totally depends on the individual player and what he is most comfortable playing with (or without).
Old August 15, 2013, 08:38 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
If using a real cricket ball, I would get the following -

Helmet, gloves, abdo-guard, pads

If you wish to spend 3000-5000tk for a cricket bat, I would suggest getting a 'kashmir' willow bat which is English willow nurtured in India. If you want to up a grade, you would possibly need to stretch to 6000tk and get a Grade 3/4 English willow bat which will last you longer and has a better ping.

In Dhaka, the best place to buy this is Inter Sports on Elephant road. Everything is of a high quality and you won't get ripped off unlike in stadium market.
how long will a kashmir willow last if say it is subjected to 2/3 hours of daily net practice using a real cricket ball? i need a bat that will last at least a year or two...

what is a good brand for a grade 3/4 english willow?

btw do the bats in inter sports come in pre knocked? will they knock it for me?
Old August 19, 2013, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Quote:
how long will a kashmir willow last if say it is subjected to 2/3 hours of daily net practice using a real cricket ball? i need a bat that will last at least a year or two...

what is a good brand for a grade 3/4 english willow?

btw do the bats in inter sports come in pre knocked? will they knock it for me?
If you are going to be using the bat under that frequency, I would advise getting a Grade 3 English willow bat which should last you a year.

A good brand would be either SS TON, SG, BAS. I believe they store all grades for these brands at Inter and think even some CA bats too although they are known not to last long despite better performance.

Some will be pre-knocked and some won't. If it is pre-knocked, I would still knock it in for 3 hours before taking it to the nets as sometimes all they do is a quick 1 hour machine knock in job which is not enough for match/net use.

I am sure they can knock it in but may charge an additional fee for it.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
i need to buy a complete setup for a cousin who is unwilling to spend a fortune. so how much will a complete kit (standard quality) cost in Dhaka and which store should i buy it from?

guys can you please give me an estimate of the individual prices of the following things:

leg pads
abdomen guard
helmet
thigh guard
arm guard
chest guard
elbow guard
gloves
kit bag

as for the bat, i am thinking something in the range of 3000-5000 Tk. That should be good enough for a starter bat right? please recommend me a brand.

thank you!
Should be 250 Pound Sterling. I bought few kits from Watford Sports World few years ago.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ