facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Naeem Islam Should bat up the Order

Even though he got out to a run out yesterday, I was thoroughly impressed with the way Naeem Islam negotiated Yorkers, Bouncers from Broad, Bresnan alike..., which goes to show he is being wasted at #9. He provided Excellent support to Rahim, Rotating strike and putting the good balls away.(Something our Top order batsmen FAILED to provide to on-song Tamim Iqbal!)

for a period of time, Bangladesh's 8th Wicket Partnership was putting England to Worry, Well, Lemme tell you, IT is not like they were bowling Crap,They were bowling really really good, Bresnan Getting Maiden's after Maidens and testing Naeem and Rahim with the short deliveries and consistently bowling deliveries on the good areas with challenging pace.

He has all the materials for a solid Top/middle order Batmsen i don't know what is in te minds interests of coach/management, but he definitely deserves a promotion up the order.

Think about it, Naeem Islam is a Batsmen in the domestic league with an average far better than most of our batsmen, Why then is the management not using him as a Top Order/Middle Order batsmen then just a bits and pieces allrounder, in internatonal cricket?

Old March 14, 2010, 01:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Even though he got out to a run out yesterday, I was thoroughly impressed with the way Naeem Islam negotiated Yorkers, Bouncers from Broad, Bresnan alike..., which goes to show he is being wasted at #9. He provided Excellent support to Rahim, Rotating strike and putting the good balls away.(Something our Top order batsmen FAILED to provide to on-song Tamim Iqbal!)

for a period of time, Bangladesh's 8th Wicket Partnership was putting England to Worry, Well, Lemme tell you, IT is not like they were bowling Crap,They were bowling really really good, Bresnan Getting Maiden's after Maidens and testing Naeem and Rahim with the short deliveries and consistently bowling deliveries on the good areas with challenging pace.

He has all the materials for a solid Top/middle order Batmsen i don't know what is in te minds interests of coach/management, but he definitely deserves a promotion up the order.

Think about it, Naeem Islam is a Batsmen in the domestic league with an average far better than most of our batsmen, Why then is the management not using him as a Top Order/Middle Order batsmen then just a bits and pieces allrounder, in internatonal cricket?
His defense looked very solid. He can definately bat in the top order. The cover drive he played agianst bresnan (or may be finn) was awesome. May be shot of the day.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Mushy and Nayeem had the right approach. The fast bowling was pretty good even for a dead surface and Swann wasn't giving away too many freebies. I was especially impressed with the way they dealt with the short stuff, more so after having watched Imrul and Zunaed make a mockery out of themselves the other day. Yes, they had some trouble against the yorkers and yes they nicked a few (Mushy was even dropped on sixty something), but the approach was right. When the going gets tough, you do NOT take the attack to the bowlers, not in Test cricket. You see them off. That's what they did with the second new ball too, which prompted Radhuni to bring in his Haash.

I've always felt, from whatever I've seen and read about Nayeem, that he is the kind of guy who can be very successful as a middle order batsman. His FC records support that too. I'm not totally against them trying him out at #8 now if that means he will be batting higher in six months, just like MaRi. But he is a middle order batsman who can bowl a bit and that's that. If we don't use his skills, we have only ourselves to blame.

One technical glitch in Nayeem's batting - and something I'm sure he will fix with more games against good bowlers (and that's why we need him to face the music a lot more) - is that he doesn't get forward enough or close enough to the pitch of the ball against pacers, which exposes him to stuff pitched three quarters up the track, inducing outside edges against defensive strokes.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: $hakib Al Ha$an

they should occupy the 3rd and 4th spot in OdI and i think Mushfiq shud stay a bit at lower side for test because he is able to hold on when everything is breaking apart but naeem and mahmudullah needs to move up...as aftab and junaed are just waste of wickets..
Old March 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Also, we're putting too much pressure on Shakib, Riyad, Mushfiq and now Nayeem by depending upon them to click in every inning of every Test match. Even Tamim, who starts with a clean slate being an opener, has to feel the pressure. We need to fix our problems in the middle order soon because these guys won't perform everyday and if all of them fail in a given inning, God help us because the idiots up the order will never score.

It doesn't hurt to give our best batsmen the opportunity to come out to bat when the score isn't 0/3 once in a while.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Nice thread, Rifat.
Actually, only Naeem and Mushy played test cricket yesterday.
Naeem deserves to be in the team, because he is not nervous with the bat and I like his technical skills and applications.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

He did well but its too early to promote him. First thing they should do is actually to include him in the playing 11 frequently in tests.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 14, 2010, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishu
they should occupy the 3rd and 4th spot in OdI and i think Mushfiq shud stay a bit at lower side for test because he is able to hold on when everything is breaking apart but naeem and mahmudullah needs to move up...as aftab and junaed are just waste of wickets..
Imagine if only kayes , aftab and junaid would have score around 150 runs...

Old March 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

I was not impressed with Naeem he struggled a lot wit lots of flushing outside the off stump.But i was impressed with his temperament.
I think it will be better for Naeem to score runes in lower order get confidence and come up.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Last edited by M.H.Rubel; March 14, 2010 at 02:07 PM..
Old March 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
I was not impressed with Naeem he struggled a lot wit lots of flushing outside the off stump.But i was impressed with his temperament.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
I will over the moon if kayes junaid and aftab can play 15 overs each no matter the runs they score and how they struggle

Old March 14, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Mushy and Nayeem had the right approach. The fast bowling was pretty good even for a dead surface and Swann wasn't giving away too many freebies. I was especially impressed with the way they dealt with the short stuff, more so after having watched Imrul and Zunaed make a mockery out of themselves the other day. Yes, they had some trouble against the yorkers and yes they nicked a few (Mushy was even dropped on sixty something), but the approach was right. When the going gets tough, you do NOT take the attack to the bowlers, not in Test cricket. You see them off. That's what they did with the second new ball too, which prompted Radhuni to bring in his Haash.

I've always felt, from whatever I've seen and read about Nayeem, that he is the kind of guy who can be very successful as a middle order batsman. His FC records support that too. I'm not totally against them trying him out at #8 now if that means he will be batting higher in six months, just like MaRi. But he is a middle order batsman who can bowl a bit and that's that. If we don't use his skills, we have only ourselves to blame.

One technical glitch in Nayeem's batting - and something I'm sure he will fix with more games against good bowlers (and that's why we need him to face the music a lot more) - is that he doesn't get forward enough or close enough to the pitch of the ball against pacers, which exposes him to stuff pitched three quarters up the track, inducing outside edges against defensive strokes.
yes, spot on.

i too was very impressed. whats unfortunate, or perhaps fortunate is that when people think of bangladeshi batsmen, of course everyone and their mothers know about tamim. but people are now beginning to recognize riyad and rahim as well. but what people remember and think about most often is imrul and junaid and the absolute ineptness they represent + aftab and the absolute idiocy he represents.

in time this will change...its already changing. people now laugh at BD cricket but they're really laughing out of spite. they see the real development however slow it may be and recognize that we can be a threat someday in the forseeable future, and that gets their thongs in a knot.

really glad that naeem has joined the foray and that our big 4 has expanded to a big 5 (big by our standards, nothing on the level of sehfag-gambhir-srt-dravid-laxman).

but this is miles better than what we had in bashar-rafique-pilot-ashraful era.

the future is most certainly bright(er).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 14, 2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: TAmim + Ash

he batted briallantly yesterday. I am happy to see that he didnt go after the bowlers. He way he was batting, he could have scored big if it werent for Mushy
Old March 14, 2010, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

That I has been wanting for a long time, but whats the point management dont understand anything. He is the player who can defense, rotate strike , slog even, So he should bat up the order. In that order Aftab can come down the order in ODI and in test ( if he plays).
Old March 14, 2010, 08:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Naeen proved that he is for real and given chance he can be potential future solution to top order (#4 to #6) batting solution.

He invalidated the logic "we don't have alternative" when trying to justify why proven failure of recent time like Ash/Junaid/Afab is being recycled again and again.

Its time to really look seriously to the pool of players with recent success in local league and give them a try .... there is plenty of alternatives, only if we are willing to open our minds and look for it.

Yes Naeem, You made me proud for your batting performance...young players like you who is still keeping me interested in this team.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I think its way too early for Nayeem to go up the order. We should give him more time and let him prove himself like Riyad did.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

9 is too down. we need him in the top order but 1st let him play some more games at low order but not less than 7.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
Cricket Savant

some of naeems good knocks in academy teams when he batted top order

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/e...ch/345242.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/eng...ch/368430.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/eng...ch/368434.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/eng...ch/368431.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/srilanka/eng...ch/368433.html
Old March 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

thank You Offstump Bhai for your Research
Old March 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

good finding off stump. seems like he delivered in every matches. definitely he should bat in his position, which is number 3 or number 4
Old March 14, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Naeen proved that he is for real and given chance he can be potential future solution to top order (#4 to #6) batting solution.

He invalidated the logic "we don't have alternative" when trying to justify why proven failure of recent time like Ash/Junaid/Afab is being recycled again and again.

Its time to really look seriously to the pool of players with recent success in local league and give them a try .... there is plenty of alternatives, only if we are willing to open our minds and look for it.

Yes Naeem, You made me proud for your batting performance...young players like you who is still keeping me interested in this team.
well there is a difference between Naeem and these Jahurul islam characters that impress in the NCL.

naeem played u19 cricket, academy cricket, a team cricket, domestic cricket for years before he was selected even as a drinks boy. he and aftab played together on u19 cricket. aftab debuted in 2004, naeem four years later in late 2008 after the ICL drama. naeem was also solid for those four years.

beyond current crop, the bench doesn't look good. it will be more of a repeat of junaid/imrul/aftab 14 runs from three batsmen.

ashraful may well come back into the side in a years time...i for one hope he gets his pre siddons form back, but am prepared to move on.

things are so bad with imrul, that i found myself thinking "dude, we should bring JO back into the test side".

when JO cracks the playing XI...you know there is truth to the statement "there is no substitute".

but JO will at least eat up deliveries even if he doesn't score 30+ runs.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 14, 2010, 10:19 PM
Cricket Sage

I agree with AMTR bhai I have no problem with letting Nayeem bat down the order for now, assuming when he starts to perform on a regular basis like Riyad, he will move up the order.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

The problem is that our coach does not think that Naeem is a good batsman. Naeem came at the cost of Raqibul's sudden so called retirement, otherwise Naeem would not have played this test. Our coach thinks Imrul, Aftab and Zunaeed are much better players than Naeem, which is really shocking to most of the BD fans.
Old March 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Well, Junaid hasnt failed that badly this innings.

As far as batting up the order, well, lets see how he goes in the future - Mahmadullah's old spot is vacant, after all.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
good finding off stump. seems like he delivered in every matches. definitely he should bat in his position, which is number 3 or number 4
i have followed him for a long time... specially when he was named the Michael Bevan.
Old March 15, 2010, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

This his acid test. Let's see what is Naeem made of. How long can he stay in the crease?