facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old January 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Australian Open Tennis '07

Any tennis fans here? Few good matches on prospect tonite:
Federer vs Youznny
Safin vs Roddick
Petrova vs Serena Williams

...Really lookin forward to it.......I would love Federer to win it again...As for girls....I still love the Swiss Miss...cheers

Old January 19, 2007, 02:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

did u see what happened to Wayne Arthurs? that was sad. It's Roger's game and now he's like a robot. Serena Surprised me big time today by winning so she's now a player.

I'm rooting for Hingis to Win and I like James Blake chances to win.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Anyone but Federer. Roddick, Blake, Nadal any one.

Serena's run will end in the next round.
Old January 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

I actually missed the Wayne Arthurs bit....What happened?..Serena was awesome with that comeback...Petrova was actually serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set....However it will be tough for her again in the next round against Jankovic....
Old January 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I Love tennis and used to follow it when I was back in BD but after coming here I couldnt because I dont have a TV of my own.

There seems to be new players on since I stopped watching but Serena and her sister Venus were "manly" players on the female circuit. Is Sharapova playing in the Australian Open? Who is ranked number one now among the males and females ?
Old January 19, 2007, 08:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I Love tennis and used to follow it when I was back in BD but after coming here I couldnt because I dont have a TV of my own.

There seems to be new players on since I stopped watching but Serena and her sister Venus were "manly" players on the female circuit. Is Sharapova playing in the Australian Open? Who is ranked number one now among the males and females ?
Federer - 1 one for males. As much as i hate him, I have to admit the guy is prolly hte best tennis player to play.
Old January 19, 2007, 09:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

isnt hate a really strong word. cause i dont see anything about him to hate. i think the word should be not my favorite.

so roddick won over safin.

Last edited by Bancan; January 19, 2007 at 09:41 PM..
Old January 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I had seen Federer play when I was in Bangladesh but I think he has some way to go before he can overtake Sampras as arguably the best player to play tennis although I never liked the guy much myself. For me it was Agassi all the way.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Justine Henin is the female world number one and the female version of Rojer Federer....She reached the finals of all four Grand Slams last year...However she isnt playing in this years Aus Open for personal reasons.....As far as all time greatness is concerned....Federer is a lot more complete and will definitely overtake Sampras in due course...I love Pete too...But I have seen both of them and the one thing Sampras lacked was his ability in Clay Courts...Federer on the other hand...is perfect..in every way...He is just a human machine..

Last edited by Shehwar; January 20, 2007 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: Spl!
Old January 20, 2007, 05:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
isnt hate a really strong word. cause i dont see anything about him to hate. i think the word should be not my favorite.

so roddick won over safin.
I guess. fair enuf
Old January 20, 2007, 05:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I had seen Federer play when I was in Bangladesh but I think he has some way to go before he can overtake Sampras as arguably the best player to play tennis although I never liked the guy much myself. For me it was Agassi all the way.
I think Federar has surpassed Sampras over the last few years. He is just too good. Amazing in all surfaces. Sampras sucked balls in clay. Well I also liked Agassi when i was younger and when he was younger.
Old January 20, 2007, 05:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Justine Henin is the female world number one and the female version of Rojer Federer....She reached the finals of all four Grand Slams last year...However she isnt playing in this years Aus Open for personal reasons.....As far as all time greatness is concerned....Federer is a lot more complete and will definitely overtake Sampras in due course...I love Pete too...But I have seen both of them and the one thing Sampras lacked was his ability in Clay Courts...Federer on the other hand...is perfect..in every way...He is just a human machine..
His service needs to be a little better.
And for gods sake he needs to grow some bollucks to play Nadal.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
His service needs to be a little better.
And for gods sake he needs to grow some bollucks to play Nadal.
Dude can hit dime if place it on a tennis court and Nadal's got Issues vs Power Players but he'll still win the French. Lets see what Roddick can do he's game looks like it's on point.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
Cricket Legend

It wont be easy for Roddick tonite...Hez up against Ancic..lets wait and see...
Old January 20, 2007, 08:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
Dude can hit dime if place it on a tennis court and Nadal's got Issues vs Power Players but he'll still win the French. Lets see what Roddick can do he's game looks like it's on point.
With the new rackets. A lot of people can return his services to other dimes that one would put in different parts of the court. His service is not as good as Sampras's and not the best currently. But ofcourse its not bad either. After all services win u a tennis match
Old January 31, 2007, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Roddick!!
Old February 1, 2007, 12:57 PM
Cricket Savant

This is becoming a nightmare to me. Why??? Is this guy that good to replace Pete?? The stats are staggeringly in favor. As much as I hate to say this, Federer is the best tennis player in the world. (May be if I support him he would start losing )
Old February 1, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Some are even calling him the best ever. He certainly has the potential to be that. Like you said, the stats are in his favour. Why don't you like him T.E.? Who's your guy?
Old February 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
Cricket Guru

CB I'm with TE, I just don't like the guy it's because he doesent lose! a typical win for Federer against is a Top player is 6-2, 7-6(7-2), 6-1. where is the fun in watching that and i'm being kind with the Breaker. When somebody does push him it's top quality tennis the problem is it happens 1 out of every 100 matches with this guy.
Old February 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte Blanche
Some are even calling him the best ever. He certainly has the potential to be that. Like you said, the stats are in his favour. Why don't you like him T.E.? Who's your guy?
My guys are no smush either. They are Borg and Pete. For some time I wanted Lendl to win one Wimbledon. By the way borg never played at Australian open. He would gotten some if had played for sure.

However, to become all time best I don't think he can get there. I would rank him 4th if he can surpass pete. The first three have to be Rod Laver, Roy Emerson and Agassi. If Roy or Rod would have come in any other era they both would have won 20 grand slam titles each. They beat up on each other in all four grand slams. As you may have already realised that my criteria of being the best of all time must include all 4 grand slam titles. Federer don't have french. Nadal is just unstopable in Clay.
Old February 2, 2007, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

What if Federer pulled off the calendar year grand slam this year (all four slams)? Would that be enough?
Old February 3, 2007, 12:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
What if Federer pulled off the calendar year grand slam this year (all four slams)? Would that be enough?
Rod Laver (11) in 1962 did have all four grand slam in one year. He is the only one to hold the titles of all grand slams twice and more. Agassi (8) and Roy (12) has French open once.
That would put him certainly in the all time greats category. But I am sure clay possess as much problem to Federer as the grass did to Lendl (twice in the finals but didn't win). Pete went to 2 semis and finals of French but couldn't win it.
Old February 3, 2007, 02:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Rod Laver (11) in 1962 did have all four grand slam in one year. He is the only one to hold the titles of all grand slams twice and more. Agassi (8) and Roy (12) has French open once.
That would put him certainly in the all time greats category. But I am sure clay possess as much problem to Federer as the grass did to Lendl (twice in the finals but didn't win). Pete went to 2 semis and finals of French but couldn't win it.
I dont think back in the days all the grandslams were played on different surfaces. So its a lil differnt from now.
Old February 3, 2007, 03:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Naysayers will still say... nayyyy!
Old February 3, 2007, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Rod Laver (11) in 1962 did have all four grand slam in one year. He is the only one to hold the titles of all grand slams twice and more.
3 on grass (AO, USO, Wim), one on clay (FO).

Quote:
Agassi (8) and Roy (12) has French open once.
But not the calendar slam. Agassi wasn't really a great clay player. He was more of an all-surface player who got lucky in 1999 because of a depleted clay field. Muster was gone, Guga was yet to emerge. 1999 was transitional. If Agassi can beat Medvedev in 1999, 12 years into his tennis career, surely Federer can possibly find a Medvedev type at some point in his career as well?

Quote:
That would put him certainly in the all time greats category. But I am sure clay possess as much problem to Federer as the grass did to Lendl (twice in the finals but didn't win).
But not as much problematic as Borg's endeavors in US Open (reached four finals but couldn't win once).

Quote:
Pete went to 2 semis and finals of French but couldn't win it.
The Sampras I know made the semifinal of French only once. He never made it to the final.

Federer has already reached the final of French. He has also won 3 clay Masters Series.